HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Edmonton Oilers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   The Comrie at $4 Million Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=25977)

elphy101 11-06-2003 12:28 PM

The Comrie at $4 Million Talk

I am trying to understand where this talk of Comrie asking for $4 Million is coming from. If Comrie were asking for $4 Million per season, no team would be interested.

Marian Gaborik who is easily the better player and coming out of the same contract situation signed for a little over 3 Million per season. Comrie and his agent are not idiots, there is no way they would be asking for that kind of money.

Martin Havlat who is arguably better than Comrie as well, only signed for 1.6 for one year.

Comrie like Havlat must realize that he has no arbitration rights.

I don't understand how him or his agent would expect Comrie to be paid significantly higher than any of Gaborik, Richards or Havlat.

My guess is that journalists are just taking Comrie's salary from last year which was between 4-4.5 Million and using that as their number that Comrie is demanding. Comrie I can see reasonably demanding something averaging around 2 million over the next couple of years. I think the money thing is getting blown way out of proportion by the media.

oilers_guy_eddie 11-06-2003 12:33 PM

Somebody mentioned hearing speculation about Comrie wanting $2 million plus a package of achievable bonuses.

Worth noting that although Gaborik's deal is about $3.2 million per year, the bonuses could put it up to about $5 million per year.

oilswell 11-06-2003 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elphy101
Marian Gaborik who is easily the better player and coming out of the same contract situation signed for a little over 3 Million per season.

But wouldn't Gaborik be worth more to, say, Detroit?

Hemsky4PM 11-06-2003 12:40 PM

The 4million stuff is coming out of other cities. Just bad journalism if you ask me. Not that we don't have our fair share...(cough-cough) Brownlee...(cough) Ireland.

Mizral 11-06-2003 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie
Somebody mentioned hearing speculation about Comrie wanting $2 million plus a package of achievable bonuses.

Worth noting that although Gaborik's deal is about $3.2 million per year, the bonuses could put it up to about $5 million per year.

The bonuses could actually push it up to, possibly $8 million bucks per season.

I'd be shocked if Gaborik earned less than $4 million.

Walsher 11-06-2003 01:39 PM

There is no chance Comrie will get more than Gaborik or even a contract as juicy as the one he signed to start his career. With his current situation I would be suprised to see any team sign him to a contract that would max out at over 3.5 mil. He had the Oilers by the nuts when he originally signed but the problem is he won't have that opportunity again this time. The bonuses from his last contract were ridiculously easy to achieve for a guy of his skill. Look for Comrie to million range with little bonus action until well after CBA.

elphy101 11-06-2003 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizral
The bonuses could actually push it up to, possibly $8 million bucks per season.

I'd be shocked if Gaborik earned less than $4 million.

I highly doubt this. My guess is that this is pure speculation. Gaborik was initial asking for something worth a total of 19.5 Million. 8 Million per season would equal 24 Million over the same term.

Any link/source/proof? Or is it pure speculation like I assume.

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 11-06-2003 02:25 PM

Quote:

I highly doubt this. My guess is that this is pure speculation. Gaborik was initial asking for something worth a total of 19.5 Million. 8 Million per season would equal 24 Million over the same term.

Any link/source/proof? Or is it pure speculation like I assume.

Mizral's gone loopy again...

ZIM 11-06-2003 08:03 PM

Quote:

Marian Gaborik who is easily the better player and coming out of the same contract situation signed for a little over 3 Million per season. Comrie and his agent are not idiots, there is no way they would be asking for that kind of money.

Gaborik easily the better player? Here is Mr Sakich's analysis as posted in the thread Gaborik Signs.
"lets compare the seasons that comrie has had vs gaborik

rookie year 2000-20001
Gaborik - 71 gms, 36 pts, -6, 0.507 ppg
Comrie - 41 games, 22 pts, +6, 0.536ppg

conclusion - same points per game, Comrie had a better year due to much better plus minus

2nd Year 2001-2002
Gaborik 78 games, 67 pts, 0+/- 0.859 ppg
Comrie 82 games, 60 pts, +16, 0.731 ppg

conclusion - Gaborik scored 7 more points but was on the ice for 23 more goals against. Pretty darn close

3rd Year
Gaborik 81 games, 65 pts, +12
Comrie (on pace before broken arm)82 games, 68 points, -10

conclusion - Comrie scored a few more points but Marion had the better +/-, Pretty darn close

In summary, I f I am Comrie's agent, I ask for the identical contract. He has put up similar numbers and shown leadership. Comrie has a career high of 33 goals, Marianne's is 30 goals. Pretty darn close."

FacelessButcher 11-06-2003 08:18 PM

4million figure is coming from Mike Russo of the Florida Sun-Sentinel I believe, he is the first one that sighted it and I think other journalists just parroted and copied him as a legitimate source. Richpanthr of the Florida forums apparently has a contact with him maybe you should ask him to find out for us.

oildrop 11-06-2003 08:18 PM

Comrie is not good on the defensive aspect of his game and if he played with the Wild he would not be putting up those numbers that Gaborik has. Gaborik would have more points on a team like the Oilers too. Minnesota is known for their defensive style and Comrie would not thrive on a team like that. Gaborik is better then Comrie and most of the people on these boards, except lots of Oiler fans, would agree with me.