HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Proposal for Guerin (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=260027)

sXe 06-15-2006 05:10 PM

Proposal for Guerin

My 1st trade proposal. ;)

Guerin and a 5th for future considerations?

KaptainKourage* 06-15-2006 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sXe

Would be better if u say which team get guerin :dunno: ;)

Edit : Ah fukkkk... nevermind.. i thought i was in trade rumors talk board :innocent:

Brett38 06-15-2006 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sXe

How much is Guerin's contract?

I don't think they want him.

Maybe you were only joking.

sXe 06-15-2006 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brett38
How much is Guerin's contract?

I don't think they want him.

Maybe you were only joking.

Big, right-handed and his value as to be at an all-time low. Kind of the reverse of the Theo trade.
I wouldn't give up anything for him but maybe Bob likes him and would hope he rebounds.

No idea on his contract thought.

saskhab 06-15-2006 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sXe
Big, right-handed and his value as to be at an all-time low. Kind of the reverse of the Theo trade.
I wouldn't give up anything for him but maybe Bob likes him and would hope he rebounds.

No idea on his contract thought.

He signed a 5 year, $45m contract in 2002. With the rollback, his contract is now 1 year, $6.84m.

sXe 06-15-2006 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saskhab
He signed a 5 year, $45m contract in 2002. With the rollback, his contract is now 1 year, $6.84m.

Yeah, I did a little digging and was about to post his salary. Only 1 year left on his contract. Hard to swallow but sionce it's Bob who offered him that in the 1st place maybe he still thinks it's a bargain. :p:

This would be his contract year also, so that could help motivate him. Upon further reflection that horrible contract will only be slightly higher than what Arnott will end up getting on the UFA market.

BLONG7 06-15-2006 05:50 PM

You might see something like this happen at the trade deadline where they do not have to pay much of his salary, and then he's gone...

VAN-HAB 06-15-2006 05:56 PM

DALLAS MORNING NEWS: Mike Heika reports Stars forward Bill Guerin wants to play out the final year of his contract with the club next season but acknowledges the possibility the remaining year (worth $6.7 million) could be bought out in the coming days. Under the terms of the CBA, the Stars would buy out two-thirds of Guerin's deal spread out over twice the term of the remainder of the contract. It would thus cost the Stars $2.2 million per year for the next two years against their salary cap.

saskhab 06-15-2006 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sXe
Yeah, I did a little digging and was about to post his salary. Only 1 year left on his contract. Hard to swallow but sionce it's Bob who offered him that in the 1st place maybe he still thinks it's a bargain. :p:

This would be his contract year also, so that could help motivate him. Upon further reflection that horrible contract will only be slightly higher than what Arnott will end up getting on the UFA market.

Armstrong had taken over by the summer of '02. Gainey was demoted to scouting detail by then. I can't remember when he got fired, as I think it was during the '01-'02 season. I can't even remember if he made the Arnott & Mackay for Langenbrunner & Nieuwendyk trade, or if that was Armstrong's deal.

Gainey's two bad contracts with the Stars were Turgeon and Audette in '01.

sXe 06-15-2006 06:02 PM

Quote:

Armstrong had taken over by the summer of '02. Gainey was demoted to scouting detail by then. I can't remember when he got fired, as I think it was during the '01-'02 season. I can't even remember if he made the Arnott & Mackay for Langenbrunner & Nieuwendyk trade, or if that was Armstrong's deal.

Noted.
Altough I wasn't implying that Guerin's contract was bad because I remember it was considered a real feat at the time being able to lure the biggest name of the off-season to play in Dallas. Remember you had a real bidding war for Guerin and it wasn't easy to beat NYR, COL or DET in UFA signings.

Turgeon's and Audette's were bad though.

waffledave 06-15-2006 06:31 PM

He'd break his stick over Higgins' head.

Teufelsdreck 06-15-2006 07:12 PM

Scrape, oh scrape, that barrel bottom. Although Guerin never played for the Leafs, he reminds me of some of the retreads they did sign.

sXe 06-15-2006 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck
Scrape, oh scrape, that barrel bottom. Although Guerin never played for the Leafs, he reminds me of some of the retreads they did sign.

Ha, yeah I know. Blame Blind Guardien he's the one who convinced me that Lang or Shanny could fit with us so that got me thinking about Guerin. :innocent: Although they're not really from the same barrel.

SOLR 06-15-2006 07:57 PM

Guerin would be nice, but I think hes a bit old. If they buy him off and then hes UFA, maybe you can have him dirt cheap.

Fish on The Sand 06-15-2006 09:11 PM

Quote:

Gainey wasn't fired. He quit because the team forced him to fire Hitchcock and he didn't agree with the decision.

tinyzombies 06-15-2006 09:20 PM

Quote:

Gainey was demoted to scouting detail? That's the first I've heard of that.

Guerin is done. Not a good pickup. Why not go out and give the same money to Elias, who is younger and better?

Joe Cole 06-16-2006 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand
Gainey wasn't fired. He quit because the team forced him to fire Hitchcock and he didn't agree with the decision.

He did not quit either, his contract was up. He did not persue a new contract. Stayed on as a consultant.

Souffle 06-16-2006 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLONG7
You might see something like this happen at the trade deadline where they do not have to pay much of his salary, and then he's gone...

That's probably the most likely scenario. But he'd also probably be cheaper in a trade this offseason. He might fetch a 1st rounder in March, but he might would cost a lot less this summer. The cap hit is a bit of a problem. It's worse than the Theodore cap hit.

Still, I expect some veteran top 6 winger by training camp, and I think it will come in a trade. If Bertuzzi can play LW, then he's at the top of my wish list.

boundless 06-16-2006 08:27 AM

maybe im wrong but didn't Guerin ever say he'd never play for a Canadian team (esp. not Montreal?)

Pat 06-16-2006 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sXe

you forgot the "so be gentle with me" quote
:)

Blind Gardien 06-16-2006 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sXe
Ha, yeah I know. Blame Blind Guardien he's the one who convinced me that Lang or Shanny could fit with us so that got me thinking about Guerin. :innocent: Although they're not really from the same barrel.

Hey, that's not fair! :madfire:

Actually, I might want to use Guerin as a good example of why not to overpay Arnott, though. 13 goals last year for $6.8M? Yi-ikes. Lucky it's only 1 year left, but that's production that makes even the albatrossic Yashins and Fedorovs of the world look good in comparison.

Now that said, if Guerin does get bought out, and goes on the market for a Shanny-like $2-3M or something like that, maybe he is still worth looking at. :dunno:

I don't know, but of all those players, I still feel the most confident in Lang still being able to produce. He's the one who has never really changed through it all. He's still the same (somewhat slow and soft) player he always was, and his production is basically the same too. Shanahan has pretty much dropped his physical game, and Guerin stopped scoring... concerns.

Anyway, it all comes down to $$$. Old guys have to come relatively cheaply and/or on short term contracts. That's the most important consideration now.

Habs 4 Life 06-16-2006 09:06 AM

No thanks,with 6.5 million we can get a superstar,not Bill Guerin.The guy is finnished give it up.If the Stars wanna buy him out let's not be the dumb team linning up to get him!