HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Malik's play this past season (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=260552)

Pinion 06-18-2006 12:42 AM

Malik's play this past season

I'm a Canucks fan who didn't get to see the Rangers play much, and I'm curious how Malik did with you guys this past season. I see he put up super high +/- stats, but he did that here too and was still thought of as a soft, slow, ineffective d-man by many. I never disliked him that much and wonder how much the success of the Rangers and lack thereof of the Canucks this past season had to do with him. Thoughts?

ftyutin51 06-18-2006 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pinion
I'm a Canucks fan who didn't get to see the Rangers play much, and I'm curious how Malik did with you guys this past season. I see he put up super high +/- stats, but he did that here too and was still thought of as a soft, slow, ineffective d-man by many. I never disliked him that much and wonder how much the success of the Rangers and lack thereof of the Canucks this past season had to do with him. Thoughts?

Aside from contract debates (whether the Rangers' overpaid for him, etc.), Malik turned out to be a very good signing, in my opinion. Sure he only put up 18points total, but that's only 1point less of his last year with the 'Nucks. Malik took horrible penalties in some games, but when you think about it, they really weren't that bad; compared to "Michal Roszival's I-Must-Somehow-**** up-In-The-Game" acts. Malik was, in my opinion, either the Rangers #1 or #2 defensmen all throughout the entire season, the other d-men being a blond from Lithuania; Darius Kasparaitis. He was very solid in many games, used his body effectively to throw bodychecks, block pucks, and most importantly, Malik was always back there with Lundqvist or Weekes, helping to clear the crease of attackers.

I remember in the games the Rangers were without Malik, the team usually did bad and lost.

Oh and who can forget Malik's goal in the longest NHL shootout (15rounds) this season? :biglaugh:

FLYLine24 06-18-2006 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ftyutin51
Aside from contract debates (whether the Rangers' overpaid for him, etc.), Malik turned out to be a very good signing[, in my opinion. Sure he only put up 18points total, but that's only 1point less of his last year with the 'Nucks. Malik took horrible penalties in some games, but when you think about it, they really weren't that bad; compared to "Michal Roszival's I-Must-Somehow-**** up-In-The-Game" acts. Malik was, in my opinion, either the []Rangers #1 or #2 defensmen all throughout the entire season, the other d-men being a blond from Lithuania; Darius Kasparaitis. He was very solid in many games, used his body effectively to throw bodychecks, block pucks, and most importantly, Malik was always back there with Lundqvist or Weekes, helping to clear the crease of attackers.

I remember in the games the Rangers were without Malik, the team usually did bad and lost.

Oh and who can forget Malik's goal in the longest NHL shootout (15rounds) this season? :biglaugh:

Malik threw body checks? I don't think he was one of the top 2 defenseman all season long, id say Tyutin looked more like the 2nd best defenseman more often then Malik but Malik was much more solid overall and rarely had a poor game.

ftyutin51 06-18-2006 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYLine88
Malik threw body checks? I don't think he was one of the top 2 defenseman all season long, id say Tyutin looked more like the 2nd best defenseman more often then Malik but Malik was much more solid overall and rarely had a poor game.

Yes, believe it or not, Malik did throw body checks. Maybe not as much as his big size could offer, but he did throw checks.

I'm a big Tyutin fan, Tyutin still plays like he did when he first got to the NHL, except he makes less errors and has developed a little better.

FLYLine24 06-18-2006 02:19 AM

Malik only threw 48 hits all season, even Prucha threw more then that (and tyutin). For a guy with that size he should be throwing more then half a hit a game.

Brooklyn Ranger 06-18-2006 02:27 AM

Malik did pretty much what he was signed to do--play a steady defensive game. The argument could probably be made that he played too many minutes some nights--which exposed his weakness, the lack of speed. But, he has a pretty good idea of where he should be and usually gets there in time. However, he's never going to throw many hits because of his lack of speed--he just can't recover fast enough to get back into the proper position.

Overall, he's OK.

ftyutin51 06-18-2006 02:34 AM

Quote:

Malik only threw 48 hits all season, even Prucha threw more then that (and tyutin). For a guy with that size he should be throwing more then half a hit a game.

Nice of you to look up that stat, but read again:

"Yes, believe it or not, Malik did throw body checks. Maybe not as much as his big size could offer, but he did throw checks."

eco's bones 06-18-2006 06:39 AM

Malik is not all that physical but he does know how to use his body to shield off other players. He's not fast but his footwork and positioning are good enough so that he could block out opponents. He's also an accurate passer and not as inclined as his partner Roszival is to throw the puck around. His size and smarts certainly helped us on a lot of occasions when we were 2 men down. He might have been our best D on the penalty kill. Generally speaking it was a good signing.

shoothepuck 06-18-2006 07:20 AM

He played well and the signing was ok, even though the $ was a tad high. He did his job, and when he was out injured you can see from the stats, that the team missed him. For his size, he should throw more checks, but that's not his style and it dosn't seem that he's going to change now. He was solid defensively and played more minutes than he should have. His shootout ability is a plus.

The New Originals 06-18-2006 07:34 AM

I like Malik because he's reliable most of the time. Plus, who can forget when Spezza tried to check him and he just fell down and got injured. :biglaugh:

ivrydov 06-18-2006 07:43 AM

Malik played solid until he got hurt when Janssen whacked him late in the season. The formerly tight defence came unstuck and remained so until the sorry end of the season. Nothing wrong with Malik. He always did his job.

in the hall 06-18-2006 09:31 AM

Quote:

well said, the other guy above made it sound like malik was an amazing pick up

he was solid.. more consistent than your typical third pairing defensemen, i think he was the only dman that didn't have problems when paired with someone he's not used to.. think he started playing well when the rangers finally figured out his true role

still way overpaid

FLYLine24 06-18-2006 11:01 AM

Quote:

Nice of you to look up that stat, but read again:

"Yes, believe it or not, Malik did throw body checks. Maybe not as much as his big size could offer, but he did throw checks."

Ok? Your point being? Every single player in the NHL throws bodychecks. The point is his often they use their body.

nyr7andcounting 06-18-2006 11:24 AM

I liked him a lot. He doesn't hit as much as some other 6-6 240lb guys do but so what. He still uses his size to his advantage. He's not that slow, he's not that soft. Sure he doesn't excel in those areas but he's not that bad.

His biggest strength I think is his passing. He's smart, always in good position, and always makes the right pass. One reason Jagr's line was so good was Malik's ability to move the puck out quickly so they could counter. Overall he's fine, happy we have him. Don't know why Canuck fans complained so much about him.

polako 06-18-2006 11:55 AM

i thought he was fantastic in his role

Barbara Underhill 06-18-2006 12:21 PM

He wasn't Stellar all the time, but I think he was consistent to say the least unlike Ozo.

Taz 06-18-2006 12:30 PM

Great reach and size was good defensively playing alot of minutes and had some very smart and tidy passing kept things simple and it showed with a decent season. But nothing out of this world, slightly overpaid but we have alot of room and i like him.

worth it for the shootout goal alone $

nyrmessier011 06-18-2006 12:38 PM

Aside from maybe being the softest big man in the game, he was overall a great player for the Rangers this season. Like others, post olympic break he ran out of steem.

greasch#4 06-18-2006 09:37 PM

I do remember a stretch where he was injured and our Defense corps was very disorganized without him. He played well for the most part. He did what was asked of him. He provided us with perhaps the single most memorable moment of the year with that shootout winner.

BDubinskyNYR17* 06-18-2006 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greasch#4
I do remember a stretch where he was injured and our Defense corps was very disorganized without him. He played well for the most part. He did what was asked of him. He provided us with perhaps the single most memorable moment of the year with that shootout winner.

Jovos game has gone down since Malik was not his partner this past season.

jBuds 06-19-2006 12:43 AM

I don't see a problem with Malik's play this year, besides his lack of physical play more often than not.

He's solid defensively, positionally sound, and his reach is an obvious bonus to the team defense.

That said, he is what he is. I'd say he's a solid second-pair defensemen, so take that for what it's worth.

The New Originals 06-19-2006 07:32 AM

Does anyone know the Rangers' record this year when they didn't have Malik playing?

SingnBluesOnBroadway 06-19-2006 08:59 AM

Quote:

Aside from contract debates (whether the Rangers' overpaid for him, etc.), Malik turned out to be a very good signing, in my opinion. Sure he only put up 18points total, but that's only 1point less of his last year with the 'Nucks. Malik took horrible penalties in some games, but when you think about it, they really weren't that bad; compared to "Michal Roszival's I-Must-Somehow-**** up-In-The-Game" acts. Malik was, in my opinion, either the Rangers #1 or #2 defensmen all throughout the entire season, the other d-men being a blond from Lithuania; Darius Kasparaitis. He was very solid in many games, used his body effectively to throw bodychecks, block pucks, and most importantly, Malik was always back there with Lundqvist or Weekes, helping to clear the crease of attackers.

I'll agree that his play was better than I expected but you can't say that it was a very good signing and throw out the contract. His play notwithstanding the Rangers still committed too much money and too many years to him.

Fletch 06-19-2006 09:20 AM

I'm with Singin'...

I wouldn't mind him if this team's overall defense was a bit better. Just thought that he was beat too much by the faster forwards and turned the puck over way too often.

ivrydov 06-19-2006 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nothingasitseems
Does anyone know the Rangers' record this year when they didn't have Malik playing?

Malik played 74 games. His record was 44-20-10. The club record when he wasn't in the lineup was 0-6-2.