HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Larry Brooks-Rangers near deal with Rozsival (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=260578)

RangerBoy 06-18-2006 05:37 AM

Larry Brooks-Rangers near deal with Rozsival
 
Quote:

The Rangers, we're told, are moving toward a multi-year agreement with Group II free agent Michal Rozsival, thus removing from the table the specter of a huge arbitration award. We'd estimate a deal in the $2M-$2.25M range, per
http://www.nypost.com/sports/elias_a...rry_brooks.htm

Larry also added the Rangers are lukewarm about re-signing Petr Sykora

Not sure if I like the Rozsival deal :shakehead It's not a big ticket but it's more about the player

eco's bones 06-18-2006 06:28 AM

To me Sykora faded not just pointwise as the season wound down. In the playoffs he hit several posts--just being unlucky--but his overall game wasn't that good. I agree with the shootout business though. He was excellent at that so he shouldn't be altogether ruled out. As for Roszival he's just going to be one of those players (usually a defenseman) who hang around for a while that the fans don't care a lot for. To me 2 million might be a bit much. He belongs on a third pairing. It makes me wonder more about the Richter signing and how sure a thing he is and what kind of real chance Staal or Baranka have of making the team. Pock I'm not that worried about. Rachunek = trade bait?

shoothepuck 06-18-2006 06:51 AM

I guess management figures that his play can only get better, while most fans believe he'll play worse. It's going to be interesting to see what UFA D-man they try to sign. Sykora I could care less about, and no reason to sign a guy just to get a few shootout goals, they got Malik for that.

in the hall 06-18-2006 09:33 AM

sometimes i really still have doubts

UAGoalieGuy 06-18-2006 09:35 AM

Still cheaper then what Malik got after he won the +/- award the season prior to the strike (2.5 mil)

That means the Ranger D would cost (So far with players under contract for next season):

Kaspar: 3.3 mil
Malik: 2.5 mil
Roszival: 2 mil
Ozo: 2.75 mil
Tyutin: 450K (I think he is an RFA though and will get a decent raise)

Thats over 11 mil for 5 D-men (not counting the possible raise for Tyutin if he is an RFA). Probably will be around 13 mil if Toots needs a new contract. Then if the Rangers want to sign a big name UFA D-Man like Redden or Chara, that could see the Rangers D-man costs go up to 19-20 mil, almost 1/2 the expected cap. I don't know if that would be possible then.

DarthSather99 06-18-2006 09:43 AM

Maybe the Rangers will trade him to an interested team. :dunno:

True Blue Bleed Blue 06-18-2006 10:09 AM

Horrible move

MisterUnspoken 06-18-2006 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by True Blue Bleed Blue
Horrible move

QFT

FmmF3* 06-18-2006 10:50 AM

If we can sign Sykora for less than 3 million, we should do it. But then, you can't bring back Rucinsky.

Sykora is still only 29, and he was on pace for 40 goals this year from the time we got him onward. He's not my favorite player, but ignoring him, IMO even for Rucinsky to return is a big mistake.

As for Roszival,the signing is a good thing. Roszival is 28 and was a huge part of a defensive core that was tops in the NHL until March. During our stretch from November to February he was at times the best d we had out there. If he could stop taking so many penalties, I'd be ecstatic about getting him for $2 million.

However, having him and Richter back there is a bit stupid. I'd rather leave one in exchange for a tough blueliner, or one of the kids. But time will tell - Renny has developed a hell of a defensive system for our guys to fall in.

Janerixon 06-18-2006 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy
Still cheaper then what Malik got after he won the +/- award the season prior to the strike (2.5 mil)

That means the Ranger D would cost (So far with players under contract for next season):

Kaspar: 3.3 mil
Malik: 2.5 mil
Roszival: 2 mil
Ozo: 2.75 mil
Tyutin: 450K (I think he is an RFA though and will get a decent raise)

Thats over 11 mil for 5 D-men (not counting the possible raise for Tyutin if he is an RFA). Probably will be around 13 mil if Toots needs a new contract. Then if the Rangers want to sign a big name UFA D-Man like Redden or Chara, that could see the Rangers D-man costs go up to 19-20 mil, almost 1/2 the expected cap. I don't know if that would be possible then.

Don't forget we signed martin richter to a one way deal, it just hasn't been announced here, to me someone is going to be traded or sather just plans on dumping ozo

BigE 06-18-2006 11:00 AM

Don't like it.

BigE 06-18-2006 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janerixon
Don't forget we signed martin richter to a one way deal, it just hasn't been announced here, to me someone is going to be traded or sather just plans on dumping ozo

Link?

Larry Melnyk 06-18-2006 11:02 AM

Don't want Roszival, especially for multi-years, but I didn't think there was any chance we were't resigning him....He'll play fine for awhile but stink up the joint towards the end of the year....At least some good news on Sykora..The Rangers shouldn't waste one nanosecond thinking about him--he's as soft a floater as you can get.

FLYLine24* 06-18-2006 11:02 AM

This better not be a long term deal. 1 Year max.

barrel_master 06-18-2006 11:50 AM

I"LL disagree with the general sentiment in this thread and say that this would be a decent deal for the Rangers. i know there's a lot of Roz hate on these boards but I think any D-man who plays minutes like that on a winning team is worth the 2.5 per year if not more.

True Blue 06-18-2006 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrel_master
but I think any D-man who plays minutes like that on a winning team is worth the 2.5 per year if not more.

Anyone else could have done better. Roszival's impending and very much expected resigning will hamper any effort to get younger and better on the defensive side. Not counting Ozolinsh, who may or may not be back, aside from Strudwick, Rozsival's highly overrated game was about the easiest to upgrade from. He was the Rangers worst defenseman from October to mid-December. Then he was solid right up unti the Olympic break. After that, he was the worst again. In the playoffs, there was not one worse player aside from Ozolinsh.
If Ozolinsh returns and with Rozsival on board, the team either cannot seek a UFA or if a UFA is signed, not allow a rookie to make the team no matter how well they perform in camp.
Bad, bad signing.

barrel_master 06-18-2006 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by True Blue
Anyone else could have done better.

I doubt 'anyone else' could have done better.

True Blue 06-18-2006 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrel_master
I doubt 'anyone else' could have done better.

Not really. Rozsival overall play was helped out by the fact that the majority of the time he was out there with Jagr. When Jagr dominated and kept the play in the other team's end, Rozsival's job could not be easier. When Jagr was worn down in March and April, to say that Rozsival was mediocre would be an understatement. Then, when he could not rely on Lundqvist to bail him out and did not have Jagr on the ice, he was completely exposed. This is a waste of $2m cap space. I would rather spend an extra $1.5m and get someone who does not rely on the best player and one of the game's top goaltenders to mask his every deficiency.

Draft Guru 06-18-2006 12:32 PM

Umm, am I missing something here or is the 2-2.5 million just pure speculation on Brooks' part?

Lets wait until the actual numbers are announced before we go jumping off of bridges in disbelief.

Son of Steinbrenner 06-18-2006 12:33 PM

Rozsvial played during all important situations on a 100 point team. Somebody would've paid him this money on the open market. The guy is young (oh but younger is better unless we are talking ortmeyer vs hossa right?) and is coming into his prime years on the blueline....

Rozsival play was not covered up by playing with Jagr... He helped Jagr and his linemates play better....

You can never have to many quality defenseman and I'm sure if Rozsival was North American certain posters would have no problem with this signing...

Anyway i'm going to go back to reading quotes from Renney in mid march about the Rangers players and declare them as fact about the state of the rebuild forever...oh wait i don't do that...

Son of Steinbrenner 06-18-2006 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draft Guru
Umm, am I missing something here or is the 2-2.5 million just pure speculation on Brooks' part?

Lets wait until the actual numbers are announced before we go jumping off of bridges in disbelief.

If it's right it's a bargain but Brooks is never right. This was the number he threw out earlier in the year and now it has turned into fact.....

nyrmessier011 06-18-2006 12:40 PM

Great news on Rozsival, he's still a bargain at 2 million. Also, great news on possibly not resigning Sykora. I hate that ****ing Devil.

barrel_master 06-18-2006 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by True Blue
Not really. Rozsival overall play was helped out by the fact that the majority of the time he was out there with Jagr. When Jagr dominated and kept the play in the other team's end, Rozsival's job could not be easier. When Jagr was worn down in March and April, to say that Rozsival was mediocre would be an understatement. Then, when he could not rely on Lundqvist to bail him out and did not have Jagr on the ice, he was completely exposed. This is a waste of $2m cap space. I would rather spend an extra $1.5m and get someone who does not rely on the best player and one of the game's top goaltenders to mask his every deficiency.

Fair enough, any dman would benefit from playing with Jagr. Having said that, why would Renney give Roz the most minutes on the team? It seems to me that the staff trusts Roz. It's also curious to note that Roz has a slightly better +/- then Jagr and marginally better +/- then any other Dman on this team. Is it possible that he's earned a better +/- in part because he contributes to this teams success?

http://www.nhl.com/nhlstats/stats?se...ewName=summary

Barbara Underhill 06-18-2006 01:12 PM

There really is no reason to hate Sykora his game got turned completely around when he came to NYR, he played alot better for us than Anaheim, even if he did fade a bit towards the end (the whole team faded). Our D-Corp concerns me, Lets say we have Kaspar, Tyutin, Malik, Rozi, and Poti thats 5 there with room for a rookie and a ufa, or two rookies... I dont see the defense getting much stronger next year unless we get a Redden or a Chara, however there is strong speculation now that the two of them will take home town deals and stick with OTT to bring in Elias and try for a dynasty. I would love to see Staal playing on our blue line next season aside from that it dosn't matter as long as we stay true to the rebuild and dont waste cap space on other sub par veteran d men.

DutchShamrock 06-18-2006 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FmmF3
If we can sign Sykora for less than 3 million, we should do it. But then, you can't bring back Rucinsky.

Sykora is still only 29, and he was on pace for 40 goals this year from the time we got him onward. He's not my favorite player, but ignoring him, IMO even for Rucinsky to return is a big mistake.

As for Roszival,the signing is a good thing. Roszival is 28 and was a huge part of a defensive core that was tops in the NHL until March. During our stretch from November to February he was at times the best d we had out there. If he could stop taking so many penalties, I'd be ecstatic about getting him for $2 million.

However, having him and Richter back there is a bit stupid. I'd rather leave one in exchange for a tough blueliner, or one of the kids. But time will tell - Renny has developed a hell of a defensive system for our guys to fall in.

So in other words, if you were GM you would resign Roszival, Sykora and Rucinsky? Sometimes I wonder if I was watching the same games. How was Roszival a huge part of our core? Or more accurately, how was he a part of the success? He was compentent in making passes but is suspect one on one and useless in clearing out the front. "If he stops taking so many penalties"? Don't. Hold. Your. Breath.

I would be estatic if Sykora was passed over. He degenerated into the same invisible player he was in Anaheim. It has nothing to do with venue and everything to do with the lump of turds within the jersey. This is an exaggeration for dramatic effect. It's a writing tool. But I'm not that far off, if the choice comes down to playing a youngster and playing Sykora (within a multi-year deal) I'll pass on Petr. What's his production going to be? 50 points, not worth the $3m in my opinion.

If we ice the same team the ended last season don't expect the November through Febuary team, expect the April team. '100 point team' defensive core, my tush. 'Swept in the 1st round of the playoffs' defensive core.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:31 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.