HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Which teams are ripe for RFA picking? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=260607)

ti-vite 06-18-2006 10:07 AM

Which teams are ripe for RFA picking?

The wild rumor of Gagné to Habs makes me wonder which teams could do almost nothing to avert an RFA offer sheet?

I know Ottawa will probably spend all the cash on Chara and Redden and SPezza making others 'available'. Philly?

NJ?

Who is 'weak'? :dunno:

The n00b King ©* 06-18-2006 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ti-vite
The wild rumor of Gagné to Habs makes me wonder which teams could do almost nothing to avert an RFA offer sheet?

I know Ottawa will probably spend all the cash on Chara and Redden and SPezza making others 'available'. Philly?

NJ?

not really relevent, but i doubt Ottawa keeps Chara. Rangers are probably gonna win that bid war...

Phil Parent 06-18-2006 10:21 AM

Boston COULD do something to prevent, say, the Habs from signing Bergeron.

But Jeremy Jacobs owns the team, ya know.

HabsoluteFate 06-18-2006 11:01 AM

Although I think you could see RFAs getting signed by other teams I still don't understand who would come up with the Gagne rumour....

Wasn't it Gagne who just a year ago took less than he could have because he enjoyed playing in Philadelphia? Why would he go around and do the complete opposite this year?

toshiro 06-18-2006 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HabsoluteFate
Although I think you could see RFAs getting signed by other teams I still don't understand who would come up with the Gagne rumour....

Wasn't it Gagne who just a year ago took less than he could have because he enjoyed playing in Philadelphia? Why would he go around and do the complete opposite this year?

Maybe with another year of maturity he realizes the futility of it all? Maybe he has lost his zest for brotherly love?

toshiro 06-18-2006 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ti-vite

NJ?

Does Guerin make sense at a reduced rate?

Blind Gardien 06-18-2006 11:11 AM

It will be interesting to see if the NHL ever breaks it's quasi-collusional stance on RFA's. My expectation is that they won't, and no RFAs will be moving, essentially ever. But it sure lurks in the back of the armchair GM's mind as an enticing strategy in a salary cap world, doesn't it? Will some maverick come along and tip the balance on it some day? It might be nice. But I don't see it ever happening. And for sure, I don't see Gainey being the maverick to start the ball rolling, if anybody ever does.

Munchausen 06-18-2006 11:14 AM

I don't think we'll see any more rfa offer sheets this year than we did in years past, otherwise this could quickly spiral out of control, with GMs shooting each others in the back, and this will always ultimately come back to bit you in the butt.

That being said, I like Phil's suggestion, way to increase the Bos-Mtl rivalry tenfold. :D

The n00b King ©* 06-18-2006 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Parent
Boston COULD do something to prevent, say, the Habs from signing Bergeron.

But Jeremy Jacobs owns the team, ya know.

well i kinda hope so, considering how much Bergeron hates the habs, i highly doubt he'd be keen on playing for them...

SOLR 06-18-2006 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaolin_goon
well i kinda hope so, considering how much Bergeron hates the habs, i highly doubt he'd be keen on playing for them...

What? Why would he hate them?

Beatnik 06-18-2006 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Munchausen
I don't think we'll see any more rfa offer sheets this year than we did in years past, otherwise this could quickly spiral out of control, with GMs shooting each others in the back, and this will always ultimately come back to bit you in the butt.

Exactly!

felixd 06-18-2006 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SOLR

He was a Nords fan growing up and he's said he doesn't like the Canadiens.

Le Tricolore 06-18-2006 12:49 PM

Quote:

He just does. He grew up in Quebec City, and.. I don't know if he was an Avs' fan after the Nordiques moved, or what. I could ask my friend. He's good friends with Bergeron's brother.

TerrieRizer* 06-18-2006 12:49 PM

Quote:

Since he grew up a Nordiques fan, and now plays for the Boston Bruins after being defeated by the Habs in the playoffs and the fierce rivalry during the season, I think it's safe to say that Bergeron has bad feelings towards the Habs. And besides, Bergeron doesn't fit the acting/diving mold of the Habs.

x-bob 06-18-2006 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loyal Bruins Fan
Since he grew up a Nordiques fan, and now plays for the Boston Bruins after being defeated by the Habs in the playoffs and the fierce rivalry during the season, I think it's safe to say that Bergeron has bad feelings towards the Habs. And besides, Bergeron doesn't fit the acting/diving mold of the Habs.

but he does fit in the "making the playoffs" mold of the Habs. :D

felixd 06-18-2006 12:56 PM

Quote:

This is why I hate Ribeiro. One player on the habs is a huge whiner/diver, and now the whole team is as well?

Pere Noel 06-18-2006 12:57 PM

Quote:

Does he fit the acting "I am supposedly doing everything to keep my best players"/"I'll treat you bad though" attitude of the Boston Bruins management?

PockIsGoD 06-18-2006 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by x-bob
but he does fit in the "making the playoffs" mold of the Habs. :D

And that's a burn!

HabsoluteFate 06-18-2006 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blind Gardien
It will be interesting to see if the NHL ever breaks it's quasi-collusional stance on RFA's. My expectation is that they won't, and no RFAs will be moving, essentially ever. But it sure lurks in the back of the armchair GM's mind as an enticing strategy in a salary cap world, doesn't it? Will some maverick come along and tip the balance on it some day? It might be nice. But I don't see it ever happening. And for sure, I don't see Gainey being the maverick to start the ball rolling, if anybody ever does.

So GMs wont screw each other by signing RFAs but yet they have started to screw each others by the amount of money they are "giving" out (IE Brad Richards)? I doubt GMs care as much as you think and although you probably wont see a ton of them except to see some...

HabsoluteFate 06-18-2006 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by felixd
This is why I hate Ribeiro. One player on the habs is a huge whiner/diver, and now the whole team is as well?

One incident and he is labelled as a whiner/diver?
(which could really be a pinch nerve...have you ever had one? I have and believe me moving is the last thing you want to do when you have one...and its gone as quick as it comes)

You want to see a whiner/diver? Darcy Tucker is one

Madevilz 06-18-2006 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by felixd
He was a Nords fan growing up and he's said he doesn't like the Canadiens.

Didnt Gagné say the same thing?

benji 06-18-2006 06:53 PM

Quote:

:clap:

Bruins fans are becoming the new joke of HF it seems. EVERY team is a diving team but theirs.

Jeffrey 06-18-2006 07:05 PM

what about a dual offer sheet to
Pitkanen and Gagné .. that would put philly in a dangerous situation especialy if they retain both because next year richards and carter are RFA ! :amazed:

Teufelsdreck 06-18-2006 07:26 PM

Nuts to that idea. RFA signing sets a dangerous precedent that would only lead to escalation of salaries. It would put pressure on the team's cap. Moreover, it would deplete the Habs of draft choices that they need to build the team in the future. Suppose Gagne, Pitkanen, or any other RFA the Hab signed didn't work out or developed a chronic injury? It would take the Habs years to recover.

Maxpac 06-18-2006 07:31 PM

when and from who did this Gagné rumor start?