HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Edmonton Oilers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   If Moreau continues to be our best player the Oil are in deep trouble!! (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=26070)

fuhr 11-06-2003 06:55 PM

If Moreau continues to be our best player the Oil are in deep trouble!!

I was one of those guys that wanted Ethan out of here but thank god they kept him because he's been our best forward this year by a country mile. If this team keeps relying on the 3rd and 4th line game in and game out,they'll be fighting with the Sharks and Bluejackets for the worst record in the west. The most alarming part is the top two lines are usually invisible for games at a time,have a good game and then are back to being invisible. Hopefully the top two lines can kick it into gear soon.

hockeyaddict101 11-06-2003 06:57 PM

Thats the negative spin on it

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuhr
I was one of those guys that wanted Ethan out of here but thank god they kept him because he's been our best forward this year by a country mile. If this team keeps relying on the 3rd and 4th line game in and game out,they'll be fighting with the Sharks and Bluejackets for the worst record in the west. The most alarming part is the top two lines are usually invisible for games at a time,have a good game and then are back to being invisible. Hopefully the top two lines can kick it into gear soon.

The positive says that if the third and fourth line keeps producing and then the first line gets on track we could be a very good hockey team.

I like the fact that this team is getting scoring from everywhere. To me that is a good sign.

dawgbone 11-06-2003 06:58 PM

If the Oilers keep going 2-0-2, I'll gladly keep having Moreau as the Oilers best player.

Yanner39 11-06-2003 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawgbone
If the Oilers keep going 2-0-2, I'll gladly keep having Moreau as the Oilers best player.

Exactly, if they keep winning, what the hell is the difference who the best player is.

fuhr 11-06-2003 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. van Nostrin
Exactly, if they keep winning, what the hell is the difference who the best player is.

The fact that Moreau has four goals tells me he has another 10 - 15(15 is being generous)goals left in him this season so the big guys better start scoring or the winning will stop pretty quickly. Hopefully the "top lines" can at least start creating some chances and please no more Horcoff on the first line games.

The Rage 11-06-2003 07:50 PM

2nd line

I don't think both the top two lines have been playing badly. The torres-york-dvorak line has been playing excellent, but there not getting the results. It's only a matter of time before they break out.

igor* 11-06-2003 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spaz44
The positive says that if the third and fourth line keeps producing and then the first line gets on track we could be a very good hockey team.

I like the fact that this team is getting scoring from everywhere. To me that is a good sign.

I think the same way Spaz. I'm kind of impressed that the Oilers are still getting by in spite of Smyth-Hemsky getting outscored most games lately. I really wouldn't have thought that was possible when I looked at this roster a month ago.

Smyth and Hemsky are very good hockey players, they'll start playing well again (hopefully soon). But until then its nice to know that the Oilers can muddle through even when these two are struggling.

hockeyaddict101 11-06-2003 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by igor
I think the same way Spaz. I'm kind of impressed that the Oilers are still getting by in spite of Smyth-Hemsky getting outscored most games lately. I really wouldn't have thought that was possible when I looked at this roster a month ago.

Smyth and Hemsky are very good hockey players, they'll start playing well again (hopefully soon). But until then its nice to know that the Oilers can muddle through even when these two are struggling.

Yep its a sign of a good team not a bad one. Teams that have balanced scoring survive when their better players go through slumps and that is going to happen.

Look at Vancouver last year as a prime example. In the playoffs when Naslund and Bertuzzi were shut out they lost. This year they are starting to find other scoring.

New Jersey has won their Stanley Cups because yes they are great defensively but they have four lines that can put the puck in the net.

Balanced scoring is the key to a team like the Oilers success IMO.

Walsher 11-06-2003 10:24 PM

Ever since the Oilers got Moreau from Chicago I've been waiting for a coming out party. He has improved steadily for a few years now - his speed, shot and strength are obvious improvements and he has always had that hard nosed style of play. Why people wanted him gone, I'm not sure. One of the only guys to show up every night even if he has problems with penalties and burrying goals. He is defensively reliable and great killing penalties. One of the veterans I thought we couldn't afford to lose. He is a good player playing with 2 other hard working good players. They were a combined +18 going into tonight and must have been +6 on the evening combined. Keep up the effort and results RPM - lookin good.

Oi'll say! 11-06-2003 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolguy3650
I don't think both the top two lines have been playing badly. The torres-york-dvorak line has been playing excellent, but there not getting the results. It's only a matter of time before they break out.

Good post cg, welcome aboard!

I'm starting to think that Smyth and Hemsky could get a very good linemate and still wind up becoming the #2 unit. The T-Y-D line has been putting me on the edge of my seat shift after shift since they came together.

Walsher 11-06-2003 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oi'll say!
I'm starting to think that Smyth and Hemsky could get a very good linemate and still wind up becoming the #2 unit. The T-Y-D line has been putting me on the edge of my seat shift after shift since they came together.

Exactly. They are playing with passion, desire, interest and enthusiasm. Best line I have seen here in a while with such little time to adjust. Smyth and Hemsky look disinterested. Frankly the third and fourth lines have been far more productive than the apparent #1 unit of late. Something needs to be done. Maybe it is time for Joey to have one of his infamous ice baths to spur things on for those guys. Those true Oiler fans know what I mean by that.

Oiltalk 11-07-2003 05:36 AM

Players like Torres, Moreau, and Pisani are music to Lowe's ears right now, as he has more time with the Comrie situation.

ZIM 11-07-2003 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oiltalk
Players like Torres, Moreau, and Pisani are music to Lowe's ears right now, as he has more time with the Comrie situation.

Judging by the number of we need a 1st line centre comments on this board I would suggest there is some dissention in the ranks.

Imagine what it would be like to be a player with performance bonuses and you don't have a first line centre to help you. Or you could be the GM laughing all the way to the bank.

Marconius 11-07-2003 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walsher
Exactly. They are playing with passion, desire, interest and enthusiasm. Best line I have seen here in a while with such little time to adjust. Smyth and Hemsky look disinterested. Frankly the third and fourth lines have been far more productive than the apparent #1 unit of late. Something needs to be done. Maybe it is time for Joey to have one of his infamous ice baths to spur things on for those guys. Those true Oiler fans know what I mean by that.

No idea what you're talking about, please xplain....

hmminvisiblecola1279 11-07-2003 10:05 AM

for a small market team like the oilers they need to have four balanced scoring lines. i do not care where the scoring comes from especially when the team wins. as others have posted this is how new jersey has managed to ice a stanley cup contending team year after year, the trap and brodeur notwithstanding. the other lines will produce but watching moreau play like he has is a treat, of course credit is due to reasoner and pisani as well. been critical of pisani before but he has really come around and made me the goat. to the rpm line :yo: :handclap: :handclap: