HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Laraque has changed his mind about coming to Montreal (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=260892)

Ryder_fan 06-19-2006 03:29 PM

Laraque has changed his mind about coming to Montreal

http://www.rds.ca/hockey/chroniques/206683.html

This could be some very good news in the future...

Kirk Muller 06-19-2006 03:33 PM

What now that people have soured on him in Edmonton, he wouldn't mind Montreal?

He is basically useless in todays NHL. Unless he is willing to play for less than a million, and willing to be benched every playoff game, then i wouldn't want him.

ForsbergForever 06-19-2006 03:36 PM

I really don't think there's place on the Habs for him in the first place, therefore what he wants is irrelevant.

waffledave 06-19-2006 03:36 PM

:dunno:

Wow, it's a shame nobody ever wanted him here in the first place.

Pat 06-19-2006 03:36 PM

lots of posters on theses boards don't want Laracque with the Habs, but honestly I would take a chance with him. even though the fights in the NHL have gone down, I think the Habs need a real number one "tough guy". a presence like Laracque would bring more respect on the ice. this is something the Habs need IMO

IcE ColD 06-19-2006 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nash13
What now that people have soured on him in Edmonton, he wouldn't mind Montreal?

He is basically useless in todays NHL. Unless he is willing to play for less than a million, and willing to be benched every playoff game, then i wouldn't want him.

I tend to agree with ya on that one... we could find a cheaper player that could do the same job (meaning: play less than 2 minutes per game and put up a good fight once in a while.)

tinyzombies 06-19-2006 03:37 PM

I think he's been very effective in the playoffs this year, when he keeps his head in the game. But he obviously doesn't know what it takes to win just by how he taunts the opposition needlessly. Waving his arms in the air and making a fool of himself in the penalty box is not something a winning team wants to project I assume. Everyone knows he's going to win his fights, there's no need for the carrying on, it just fires the other team up.

All that said, I'd love to see him in Montreal for cheap.

I would move Dandenault, sign Chara and Laracque, load up the tank and head to Toronto.

Montreal hasn't had that since the good old days of Kordic, Nilan, etc. when we used to beat on the Bruins and anyone else that got in our way.

Artyukhin* 06-19-2006 03:38 PM

well i guess getting benched opens his eyes to the fact his options are running out in the nhl . if he wants to come and fight in montreal for $750,000 id take him no matter what he said about montreal in the past because everything he said was true , just people didint wanna hear it .

again if he comes to fight you wont find a better guy to take care of bisness and with mcgratton signing 2 years more in ottawa we should have a legit heavyweight to smash his face in .

i could go with

murray laraque begin with downey platooning for 25 games

GoHabsGO252006 06-19-2006 03:40 PM

He said that stuff after the lockout a long long time ago. Too bad we don't need him or want him.

znk 06-19-2006 03:40 PM

That's old news. He said it in his rds blog like 6-7 months ago.

Kirk Muller 06-19-2006 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pat
lots of posters on theses boards don't want Laracque with the Habs, but honestly I would take a chance with him. even though the fights in the NHL have gone down, I think the Habs need a real number one "tough guy". a presence like Laracque would bring more respect on the ice. this is something the Habs need IMO

What brings respect on the ice is every player playing tough each shift. A team full of guys willing to sacrifice their body and take their man is much harder to play against then a guy like Laraque being a "presence." Edmonton is in the final not because of Laraque, its because they have Torres, Moreau, Peca, Pronger, Pisani, Horcoff, Greene, Harvey, Smyth, Stoll, Staios, and J. Smith all wlling to take their man or block a shot. That is what commands respect on the ice.

Kenny Powders 06-19-2006 03:43 PM

****** him.

s7ark 06-19-2006 03:48 PM

Laraque can still be an effective player in the new NHL. But I do think he would do better out East, where the play tends to be a bit slower. He can be a force down low and can control the boards very effectively. Plus if they ever get rid of that stupid @#%& instigator rule, he could be VERY effective. He is still hands down the best pure fighter in the league. And it really is a great sight to see when some little punk that is running around and cheapshotting people goes whitefaced and leaves the ice when BG steps on. People do take less liberties with your stars when Laraque is playing. That is undeniable.

I am not sure if there is a spot for him on the Oilers since we have some big kids coming up soon (Jacques, Winchester) and I will be very sad to see him go. But I'd be very happy to see him go to one of my fav teams out east. If you guys can get Laraque, I would really recommend it.

Honestly, he made a great Oiler, but I really think he was born to protect Hab stars.

Joey 06-19-2006 03:49 PM

I would consider him. The guy isn't "useless" in this league just because most other fighters are. This guy can create so much space on the ice, the guy can play keepaway like it's his job [hey i guess it is?]. He just puts that little fear in your head when he comes on that ice so you check if he's coming to plaster you into the boards, and that extra little distraction can only be beneficial.

Though I do agree with the poster that said he can stupidly fire up the other teams.

I'm undecided but I wouldn't mind a go at him for 600-700k

Pat 06-19-2006 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nash13
What brings respect on the ice is every player playing tough each shift. A team full of guys willing to sacrifice their body and take their man is much harder to play against then a guy like Laraque being a "presence." Edmonton is in the final not because of Laraque, its because they have Torres, Moreau, Peca, Pronger, Pisani, Horcoff, Greene, Harvey, Smyth, Stoll, Staios, and J. Smith all wlling to take their man or block a shot. That is what commands respect on the ice.

remember the game against the Sens when Kovalev was being hammered from all sides by Neal and com.
if Habs would've had a guy like Laracque in the lineup, I'm not so sure it would've been the same thing.

did I say the Oilers were in the finals because of Laracque?NO, I didn't. come on

I'm just saying that a legit tough guy like Laracque commands more respect from the opposition. players don't go after your best players when they know they might have a visit from a Laracque.
anyways, see it like you want...I just think there's still place for a guy like Laracque on the Habs lineup.

beowulf 06-19-2006 03:56 PM

Not somebody that could be of real use. I would also be worried about him complaining to much if he does not get the ice time he wants.

Shabutie 06-19-2006 04:02 PM

I would've taken Laracque before Downie.

s7ark 06-19-2006 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beowulf
Not somebody that could be of real use. I would also be worried about him complaining to much if he does not get the ice time he wants.

Laraque doesn't do that at all. He is one of those guys that takes the minutes he is given and tries to do as much as he can with them. He understands that if he wants minutes, he has to earn them.

Your coach may have to ride him a bit to keep his legs moving sometimes, but Laraque is a great team guy. He never complains. Ever.

There is a reason people in Edmonton love him. He is a huge fan favorite. And if you guys get him, you'll love him too. As soon as he crushes Tucker into the boards and pounds Domi's ***, you'll fall for him. I have no doubt of that.

Team_Spirit 06-19-2006 04:13 PM

We just re-signed Downey we dont need another enforcer.

beowulf 06-19-2006 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jozeph_Balej
We just re-signed Downey we dont need another enforcer.

True enough.

Pax Macioretty 06-19-2006 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shabutie
I would've taken Laracque before Downie.

well it's 2 goons that don't want to fight, Downey is cheaper..

Dr. Charles 06-19-2006 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pat
remember the game against the Sens when Kovalev was being hammered from all sides by Neal and com.
if Habs would've had a guy like Laracque in the lineup, I'm not so sure it would've been the same thing.

did I say the Oilers were in the finals because of Laracque?NO, I didn't. come on

I'm just saying that a legit tough guy like Laracque commands more respect from the opposition. players don't go after your best players when they know they might have a visit from a Laracque.
anyways, see it like you want...I just think there's still place for a guy like Laracque on the Habs lineup.

Well, we did win this game...

Anksun 06-19-2006 04:35 PM

Some here are fools!!! ;)

I'd take Laraque on my team in a millisecond. Begin is already a beast of a pest, he'd be even better instantly.

Laraque can play some minutes on a 4th line without been a liability. I didnt found him all that bad in the playoffs in fact, aside from a few bad penalties (most happen when the game wasnt on the line anymore however).

Laraque-Downey combo for the 12-13th spot would be good for me.

Laraque in Montreal? Hell YES!

Jyroe Habs Fan 06-19-2006 04:55 PM

From a person who has lived in Edmonton for 12 years...

***** Laraque! He didn't want to play pre-lockout for the Habs so screw him :shakehead

85% of Oilers fan hate Laraque, thinks he is useless, too slow and most importantly is too dumb. He has taken 3 Game Misconducts so far in these playoffs, enough said.

sXe 06-19-2006 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waffledave
:dunno:

Wow, it's a shame nobody ever wanted him here in the first place.

:wave: