HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Boston Bruins (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Thornton's ref bashing worked (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=26149)

supernova 11-07-2003 03:04 AM

Thornton's ref bashing worked

Late in the 1st period Thornton was covered by B Stuart and Stuart seemed to go out of his way not to get whistled for his handling of Joe. Then Thornton falls down on his own, gets up and right away and lets his frustration get to him. He immediately gives the puck carrier 2 -3 blatent hooks through the neutral zone, which is exactly what is wrong with today's game and the refs let him get away with it. If I was the ref and listened to his rant from the last game I would of sent him off just to let Joe know he's not showing me up. Instead they give McLaren a penalty for a little bump on Joe, WEAK!

The refs could really do themselves a favour and just be consistant. That's what seems to cause the majority of the players frustration. Joe could also do himself a favour and stick to playing hockey because I don't think he realizes how much he already gets away with.

Jean_Jacket41 11-07-2003 04:04 AM

Joe played a tremendous game! He is hold, grab, stick-hold, he is everything. He works hard to get through the check and did you see his move to get off the hold on the Murray's goal?? Really great move.
I understand him when he says he's frustrated. He is always interfered. Maybe he do this to other sometimes be HE gets penalties. Others rarely get one on him. Thats maybe why he's so frustrated with th officiating these days.
However, great game by Joe. He did everything.... Even get a high stick in the face, in front of the referee, with blood comming out, the elmet going off, for another non-call...

bb_fan 11-07-2003 06:57 AM

not that i play, but ever wonder how energy and effort it takes just to play the game, within the rules?

The imagine how much extra work a plyer has to do to 'fight' thru the hooking, holding, obstruction, and interference?

Ever wonder how much better some of these great players (i.e. thornton, jagr, forsberg, sakic etc....) would be if they didnt have to waste so much energy playing thru the things that should be called.

If its not gonna get called against him half the time, why not do the same?

Black Eye 11-07-2003 06:59 AM

It's exhausting. I generally play on defense. I always found it much more tiring to have to muscle some 6'3" 230 lbs lug out of the slot in front of the net than to skate up and down the ice. It's pretty grueling to have to move somebody like that who doesn't want to be moved. Corner work, same thing. Feel the burn!

kov 11-07-2003 10:10 AM

But there's a trade-off

There's an inevitable trade-off to getting refs calling everything: I guarantee you would see a whole lot more diving.

I personally think it's worth it, if the league was willing to setup a separate video-review team to catch dives and punish them with suspensions (perhaps something like after 3 dives, a game, with repeat offenders getting bigger suspensions).

However, I think it's expecting too much to see refs call everything *and* catch the dives.

Rumpy 11-07-2003 10:22 AM

Tuckering Out

The moving guys is no problem I was always a big guy myself.....fighting off hooks and holds is just something a guy grows up with and deals with the thing that really tires a guy out are hits and being hit......this is another reason those big power fowards are so amazing.....Rumpy

Raven 11-07-2003 12:48 PM

They should just make a new rule. Don't touch (Stick or Glove) any player that don't have the puck and the one that does only when he enters their zone.