HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Moving forward (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=261741)

toshiro 06-21-2006 07:46 PM

Moving forward

Is the teams goal the stanley cup?
What does the team need to do to move forward?
What upgrades are needed to put us over the top?????

kostitsyn1489 06-21-2006 08:01 PM

Wait for the season 07-08 and 08-09!

Shabutie 06-21-2006 08:13 PM

Is the teams goal the stanley cup? Every team's goal is always to win the stanley cup, even when they aren't in shape to.
What does the team need to do to move forward? Obviously we need better performances from our best players, and perhaps a few new faces.
What upgrades are needed to put us over the top?????If possible, an upgrade over Bouillon, Ribeiro and Zednik would have an immediate impact imo.

C-Saku Koivu MTL 06-21-2006 08:21 PM

I think like many teams, MTL is a player or two away from being cup contender. That being a solid/good top 2 center and a top 4 d-man. That and every player playing at their potential and a goalie making big saves.

toshiro 06-21-2006 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C-Saku Koivu MTL
I think like many teams, MTL is a player or two away from being cup contender. That being a solid/good top 2 center and a top 4 d-man. That and every player playing at their potential and a goalie making big saves.

I would tend to agree.
Maybe a 1A center and a + #2 D man and the continued development of the younger players?

felixd 06-21-2006 11:44 PM

I'd say we're far from contenders. We need an elite center and/or an elite 1 defenseman(don't say zOMG felix but lol mark0v has such good vision lol!, Markov is not a true number 1)

A big problem this year was a lack of scoring depth, but hopefully with the progression of our youngsters that will change next year.

We also have two question marks in goal.

In all honesty I think next year will be quite interesting, it will be almost a transitional year. If things go well(meaning we get to the 2nd round of playoffs and hopefully advance beyond that), then I think we'll be gunning for it in 07-08. But if we have a disapointing season and miss the playoffs(which is a possibility considering Boston, Atlanta and Florida should all be better next year), I think we'll see a makeover for 07-08.

HabuseMoi 06-21-2006 11:49 PM

zOMG felix but lol mark0v has such good vision lol

yes he is a number one in the eyes of many

if not name 20 better defensemen

Artyukhin* 06-21-2006 11:50 PM

were only 2 or 3 player away

Habsaku 06-22-2006 12:10 AM

Objectively name 30 better defensemen then Markov. Not arguable, but clearly better.

Myron Gaines* 06-22-2006 12:33 AM

Scott Niedermayer,Scott Niedermayer,Scott Niedermayer,Scott Niedermayer,Scott Niedermayer,Scott Niedermayer,Scott Niedermayer,Scott Niedermayer,Scott Niedermayer,Scott Niedermayer,Scott Niedermayer,Scott Niedermayer,Scott Niedermayer,Scott Niedermayer,Scott Niedermayer,Scott Niedermayer,Scott Niedermayer,Scott Niedermayer,Scott Niedermayer,Scott Niedermayer,Scott Niedermayer,Scott Niedermayer,Scott Niedermayer,Scott Niedermayer,Scott Niedermayer,Scott Niedermayer,Scott Niedermayer,Scott Niedermayer.......wait ......who else?.....oh.....Scott Niedermayer.

ha! what a great joke.

HabuseMoi 06-22-2006 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThedynamicDuo
Scott Niedermayer,Scott Niedermayer,Scott Niedermayer,Scott Niedermayer,Scott Niedermayer,Scott Niedermayer,Scott Niedermayer,Scott Niedermayer,Scott Niedermayer,Scott Niedermayer,Scott Niedermayer,Scott Niedermayer,Scott Niedermayer,Scott Niedermayer,Scott Niedermayer,Scott Niedermayer,Scott Niedermayer,Scott Niedermayer,Scott Niedermayer,Scott Niedermayer,Scott Niedermayer,Scott Niedermayer,Scott Niedermayer,Scott Niedermayer,Scott Niedermayer,Scott Niedermayer,Scott Niedermayer,Scott Niedermayer.......wait ......who else?.....oh.....Scott Niedermayer.

ha! what a great joke.

roflcopter

SOLR 06-22-2006 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habsaku
Objectively name 30 better defensemen then Markov. Not arguable, but clearly better.

Heck try to name 10!

Markov is very close to the top 10 in the league, or will be next year. We will see him at the All-star game.(if he doesnt get hurt)

What the habs need to be better:

Add a good center, and clean the house of the rest of the dead wood.

Hab at it 06-22-2006 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SOLR
Heck try to name 10!

Markov is very close to the top 10 in the league, or will be next year. We will see him at the All-star game.(if he doesnt get hurt)

Pronger
Niedermayer
Lidstrom
Zubov
Schneider
Blake
Redden
Phaneuf
Chara
Bouwmeester

From an all round point of view, if your looking at pure offence you could add:

McCabe
Visnovsky
Kaberle(TO's)
Gonchar
Boyle
Timonen
Zidlicky and a couple others.

hab 06-22-2006 01:56 PM

I would say on bluline and in goal, we are cup contenders, and dissagree with the

need for a 7 million dollar no.1 d-man... the 2nd half of the season, I thought we

had one of the leagues top d units. up front I would say we are not even close...

even with a year under some solid rookies belts, we have some major holes in our

four lines and our goals scored at the end of the year made it pretty obvious, this

is a big weak point.I have a feeling we will have at least one new veteran forward

coming in this offseason, but I dont see that being enough. Hopefully a guy like

lettandresse or kostitsyn surprises everyone with a huge rookie season and racks up

the points

Vinceee 06-22-2006 03:28 PM

Quote:

Heck try to name 10!

I agree with you...

People saying we need an upgrade over Bouillon... Bouillon is one of the best fifth-sixth dman in the league

SOLR 06-22-2006 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hab at it
Pronger
Niedermayer
Lidstrom
Zubov
Schneider
Blake
Redden
Phaneuf
Chara
Bouwmeester

From an all round point of view, if your looking at pure offence you could add:

McCabe
Visnovsky
Kaberle(TO's)
Gonchar
Boyle
Timonen
Zidlicky and a couple others.

Lemme get over your list:

Pronger - Yes better
Niedermayer - yes better
Lidstrom - yes better
Zubov - same as markov
Schneider - same as markov
Blake- same as markov
Redden - depends of the game - on par
Phaneuf - no, not yet.
Chara - no, over hyped.
Bouwmeester - no, not yet.
McCabe - same as markov
Visnovsky - no
Kaberle(TO's) - same as markov
Gonchar - no, shouldnt be in any best D list
Boyle - same as markov
Timonen - no
Zidlicky and a couple others. -no

3 Better, thats about it, then its get fuzzy. Chara looks good in Ottawa with the best team forward wise in the league, not very hard.

felixd 06-23-2006 05:18 PM

Quote:

Heck try to name 10!

Naming 10 will be easy, as for Habsaku's request of 30 that will be tougher, because ultimately it comes down to what you prefer in a player. For example, Jason Smith and Steve Staios are much tougher, better leaders, block shots and are better defensively, but don't have offensive skills like Markov does. Say you have Gonchar on your team you would probably rather have Smith over Markov to complement his style, but if you have say Adam Foote, you'd rather have Markov than Smith or Staios to compliment his style. OK, so the better than Andrei Markov list:

Overall:
Pronger
Lidstrom
Zubov
Niedermayer
Redden
Chara
Kaberle
Pitkanen
Rafalski
Phaneuf
Regehr
Norstrom
Blake
Boyle
Kubina(had an off-year, but if he returns to form, better than Markov)
Visnovsky

Defensively:
McKee
Smith
Staios
Skrastins

Offensively:
McCabe
Gonchar
Schneider

Just off the top of my head...then there are a bunch of players that are pretty much equal to Markov:
Spacek
Mara
Timmonen
Morris
Numminen
Kalinin

List goes on....

And he's not the second coming of God in offense either like some of you claim, hell even our own Sheldon Souray(who many here act like he is the 2nd coming of Wade Belak) only had 6 or 7 points less than him...Even Brisebois only had 8 less than him.

Not saying he isn't a skilled defenseman, but there is no way I consider him "elite". He is a good defenseman to have on a team, but not by any means a number 1.

goalchenyuk 06-23-2006 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toshiro
Is the teams goal the stanley cup?
What does the team need to do to move forward?
What upgrades are needed to put us over the top?????

More speed , more meat , more good hands , more passion and more deep .

oli500 06-23-2006 06:39 PM

We got a great core of veterans players (kovalev,koivu,markov)

We got a great core of younger players who are going to get better with time and some cases are going to hit theire prime real soone.

(higgins,Ryder,Komisarek,plekanec,Perezhogin) and thats just the begining of what is a bigger list in the kositsyn brothers,chipchura and latendresse.

We got the pieces for a contender. Are defence is just going to get better with the Markovs and komisarek intering theire prime along with some quality vets in rivet. Last year was just the begining from markov.

Were a couple players away from moving up from a 7 to 9 place team to a 1 to 5 place team. We can play with the best of them as we had no problem in handeling ottawa last year. Once are young players are going to learn how to dominate and be consistant will be able to beat anyone on anygiven day. This club is a couple vets away from jumping on top and if gainey signs the right people theres no telling what we can do. A guy like jamie langenbrunner could be real important as he grew up in a winning system and he could bring are young kids a lot of veteran leadership. I like the make up of this team. The key for us to have a good season will oviously be to stay out of injury problems.