HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Chicago Blackhawks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Where's the optimism? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=262015)

Ratty 06-22-2006 10:20 PM

Where's the optimism?

The Hawks have the third pick in the entry draft and are poised to land a terrific prospect. Yet all the threads in this team's column tout gloom and doom,

"Worst Fanchise..Blackhawks". "Have the Hawks ever made a good trade?"..."Wirtz authorizes buyouts.".... "Thanks, Tyler Arnason"..

This is a time to look to a draft to energize the franchise and rise up to meet the new challenge. With the right decisions this can be done despite bad ownership.

I hope this once proud team can reinvigorate itself and rise to contender status.

DisgruntledHawkFan 06-23-2006 02:39 AM

The worst part is, you're talking to the diehards here on this board. Simply put, there's not a whole lot for us to be too excited about. We've got a promising defensive core, but we still don't have any first liners, and the Hawks will draft another fringe 2nd/3rd liner that's gonna pot 15-20 goals and play solid defense. That's not a bad thing, but we have no game-breaking forward. All that said, with the addition of ONE talented top six forward and a healthy Ruutu/Aucoin/Khabibulin, I think this team can challenge for the playoffs.

EtownHawksFan 06-23-2006 06:28 AM

I dunno...

I want to be optimistic, but it's tough... I keep thinking the Hawk's are a team of second and third line players who are being pressed into positions above where they should be playing. This can be an advantage in that they get the opportunity, but I think with a younger team, it can spawn a lack confidence that makes it difficult to develop players. We need a sparkplug, not just another decent player. I thought Ruutu would be the one but now with his injury? I am hoping a guy like Kessel could be this guy, but who knows right?

Seriously though it's depressing... the waiting game for a breakout season is driving me crazy... Someone give me some good news and tell me that Kessel, Staal or Toews is gonna be THAT guy.

EtownHawksFan 06-23-2006 08:40 AM

Oh yeah...

And also... I dunno... But I really would like to keep my Roenick jersey as a vintage as opposed to current.

Gardebut30 06-23-2006 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan
the Hawks will draft another fringe 2nd/3rd liner that's gonna pot 15-20 goals and play solid defense.

Definitely no optimism there.

I'm not overly optimistic about much nowadays, but I think the guy we draft at #3 will be more than that. At the very least he'll have top line potential, whether or not he reaches it will be up in the air for a while.

If there's one thing to be optimistic about it should be that.

Teemu 06-23-2006 12:22 PM

Tell you what... I'll be optimistic once the old man is six feet under

moondogy59 06-23-2006 01:07 PM

The hawks had some great players over the years but they refuse to pay market value when they become established

samiaa 06-24-2006 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teemu
Tell you what... I'll be optimistic once the old man is six feet under

Thats very well said, hopefully that happens soon!