HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Used gear: yay or nay? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=262053)

Petey21 06-23-2006 06:23 AM

Used gear: yay or nay?

Was just wondering who could consider buying and using old and used equipment? Is it out of the question to use something that someone else has been using, even if it's in basically mint condition? Or could you go for used stuff? Is there any piece of used equipment you would never wanna use, and any piece that you don't care if it's been used or not?

I just picked up a pair of used Easton Air shinguards at a flea market in the neighborhood at a whopping $3.40 (or $3.80 Canadian). They are in okay condition except some of the paint has chipped, but I figure they'll be fine for pick-up games or rec skating anyway.

RedK 06-23-2006 08:32 AM

Some gear I'll buy used - shoulder pads, elbow pads, gloves. Some I won't - helmet, jill, skates.

Qui Gon Dave 06-23-2006 08:45 AM

In the past, I've bought and worn used shinpads and longcovers, and borrowed a pair of used skates when I started playing roller hockey. When i started playing, I wouldn't mind trying different bits of used equipment because it gave me a chance to try different brands/models and also because i didnt have enough money to spend on equipment. These days, I'd only buy used equipment if it was something I really wanted/needed. I've been playing for almost 9 years now and I have an idea of what brands i like/dislike, what type of pads i prefer or need and I have the money to get a couple of new pieces of gear each year if i need to. But when I was begining, i was happy of the handouts i got. I may have decided i didnt want to play hockey and so spending all the money required on new kit would have been a bad idea. Plus it gave me a chance to try stuff out as there aren't many shops close by.

As for equipment I wouldn't want to wear if used before, a well worn helmet springs to mind. For example, the sight of one of those CCM helmets, having been used for 5 years that used to have white padding inside it, which now has turned to brown. Your equipment should give you the confidence to play your game and be well protected while doing so. Padding so sweat drenched it has turned brown would not give me that confidence ;)

I suppose I wouldn't mind wearing most items of padding if already used, as long as they aren't completely falling apart and if i don't know who wore them previously, i can at least give them a quick rinse clean. I also wouldn't mind using a stick used by someone else :sarcasm: (at least, from a psychological point of view, performance wise, I've found a setup i love and have no plans to change) but i suspect thats not the type of kit you had in mind when you asked the question.

sc37 06-23-2006 11:49 AM

I have no problem with used anything (no jock though) as long as it wasn't nasty. I buy stuff used a lot since I'm poor, and still a noob. If it looks very nice, no prob, and the smell goes away with a nice dunk in water and laundry detergent. Like Dave said, gives you a chance to try out lots of equipment.

Evil Ted 06-26-2006 01:27 PM

used equipment is a great idea. First you are usually saving yourself alot of money, usually half price atleast, second your not letting something perfectly good go to waste in a dump somewhere either. Some of my nicest equipment has came used the gloves i wear are ccm 1052s from years ago and they are like wearing a velvet glove because they are worked in so nice.

cjbhab* 06-26-2006 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sc37
I have no problem with used anything (no jock though) as long as it wasn't nasty. I buy stuff used a lot since I'm poor, and still a noob. If it looks very nice, no prob, and the smell goes away with a nice dunk in water and laundry detergent. Like Dave said, gives you a chance to try out lots of equipment.

do they actually sell used jock straps? or .. mouthguards used, lol.

I won't buy any equipment used because I can afford new equipment, its just a cheep alternative. I like my stuff brand new.

EmptyNetter 06-26-2006 04:43 PM

Things I bought new:
skates -- fit is important so I don't mind spending
gloves -- tried to go used, but store clerk suggested fit was important
cup
helmet
elbow pads -- tried using roller blading pads first :)

Bought used:
chest protector
pants
socks (leggings) -- couple of holes but good condition
shin pads

I started playing a few years ago, invited by a friend to try pickup hockey. I wasn't sure I'd stay with it because I could skate but had never played. I started with minimal equipment then added some to cover my bruises. I upgraded to new gear as I played more.

jiggs 10 06-26-2006 09:46 PM

I usually buy new, but I have used skates right now that I got for less than half the original price, and they were brand new looking.

I would have no problem buying used shin pads or gloves, and I just bought a used helmet this year (gives me 3 to choose from! :D ), but if you can afford it, it is probably better to go with new stuff and form-fit it to your feet/hands.