HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Edmonton Oilers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Anyone see Weight drill Sedin? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=26210)

dawgbone 11-07-2003 07:28 AM

Anyone see Weight drill Sedin?

Henrik Sedin was hooking Weight (about 7 or 8 tugs, both at the body and on the legs)... and Weight turned around and smoked him in the face with a cross-check.

Now normally, I am not a fan of hits to the head... but if it eliminates the obstruction through the neutral zone, hey I am all for it.

Oilers Hockey 11-07-2003 07:31 AM

Yes I saw it, can't say I feel sorry for that mutant. Canuck fans were saying he was bleeding out of his mouth and spitting out teeth, grossly exaggerrating the incident. I feel Weight should get a minimum suspension, but anything over 3 games would be ridiculous!

dawgbone 11-07-2003 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hemskyfan
Yes I saw it, can't say I feel sorry for that mutant. Canuck fans were saying he was bleeding out of his mouth and spitting out teeth, grossly exaggerrating the incident. I feel Weight should get a minimum suspension, but anything over 3 games would be ridiculous!

Well seeing as his mouth wasn't bleeding, nor did his teeth get touched, I don't understand what they could have been talking about.

He got hit above the left eye...

thome_26 11-07-2003 07:35 AM

Yep, if the refs had did their job and called that bullsh!t then Weight wouldn't have done ANYTHING. IMO it was a cheap shot - but it isnt' more deserving then a one game suspension as that little Swedish cream puff - flower girl had it coming!

dawgbone 11-07-2003 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thome_26
Yep, if the refs had did their job and called that bullsh!t then Weight wouldn't have done ANYTHING. IMO it was a cheap shot - but it isnt' more deserving then a one game suspension as that little Swedish cream puff - flower girl had it coming!

LOL... like I said, I don't tolerate that stuff out of the blue, or after a goal... but if someone is tugging at me like that over and over with no call, I am going to do something about it.

I love Dougie...

Oilers Hockey 11-07-2003 07:51 AM

Henrik was bleeding the tiniest bit by his eye. I guess that was pretty unmanly of Weight... a man should never hit girls.

thome_26 11-07-2003 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hemskyfan
Henrik was bleeding the tiniest bit by his eye. I guess that was pretty unmanly of Weight... a man should never hit girls.

:lol: :handclap: :lol: :handclap: :lol:

Indeed! But ya, the little power-puff girl's eye will swell up a bit, but he'll be perfectly fine. I guarentee he won't ride Dougie up the ice the next time they play!

Oilers Hockey 11-07-2003 08:09 AM

I don't agree with Weight being suspended for over 3 games, so apparentely now I'm a troll with no credibility. :shakehead

C'mon, it was a bad check, but nowhere near as nasty as it's been played up to be.

Mikey 71 11-07-2003 08:33 AM

Come on guys, put away the Weight-coloured glasses. Chest thumpers, sit down too. Obstruction or no obstruction, you don't go at a player's head like Weight did. I have been a fan of Weight back to his days here in the Soo at Lake State, but the guy easily deserves 5 games at the very least. It was freakin Sedin! If he was THAT pissed, he should have been more of a man and drop his gloves. Going at his head the way he did showed that he is a coward to a certain degree.

I have been a fan of Weight for quite a long time and will be for quite a while longer, but he has to pay for what he did. If it was an Oiler in place of Sedin, you would be crying bloody murder, and you all know it too.

I expect 5 games but hope for 8. Yeah, I have Weight in my Hockey News Pool so it would cost me to , but accountability is accountability.

Edited to add that I just went to tsn.ca and they have a still shot of the cross check. It wasn't even a case of Weight trying to give him a shot in the face with his gloves. The pic CLEARLY shows how far apart his gloves are. It was a deliberate attempt to injure a player, and there is no way to twist it. Man I am shocked that Weight would fall to that level. NHL, you have stated in the past your desire to address head shots, now you can show that it doesn't matter who the player is. Star or not, Weight deserves to get nailed for this.

copperandblue 11-07-2003 08:53 AM

I don't condone the that the hit was to the head and yes it is a suspendable offence but I say two games max.

There is a couple things to consider;

1) Weight has a fairly clean reputation and the reputation has been built over ten years of playing. He is clearly not a repeat offender or cheap shot artist in general.

2) What caused Weights reaction? Almost everyones first complaint about the game today is the obstruction and stick work that happens duringthe course of the game. Weight plays the game the way the game is supposed to be played, is it so surprising that at some point he is going to retaliate because some snot nosed kid spent his time on the ice doing to Weight the exact same thing that is ruining the game? This whole episode could have been avoided if the refs simply called the game they way they were mandated so that players aren't frustrated to the point where they make stupid reactionary decisions such as Weight did last night. Like dawgbone said if one or two plays like that eliminates the obstruction then have at 'er

3) As vicious as the hit looked, does it really warrant a 5 gamer? Again a 10 year vet with a clean record made a reactionary mistake that resulted in no injury or lost time to the opposing player will get 5 games where as in the span of 1 month, a player with less than 2 years experience slashes Smyth on a "routine" play that broke his thumb - at the very least limiting Smyths effectiveness and breaks Zetterburgs leg with another "routine" slash that will keep him out of the line up for 6 weeks and he only gets 2 games? Isn't there something wrong with that picture?

kruezer 11-07-2003 08:58 AM

I think he'll end up with 2 games. He should get something, but I agree it was just one bad choice.

BTW, will everyone (not just Oiler fans, I just answered here) stop bashing the Sedin's if they outscore (for example) Hemsky this season? Cause it could very easily happen and it would not surprise me at all, will they get some respect then?

dawgbone 11-07-2003 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikey 71
Come on guys, put away the Weight-coloured glasses. Chest thumpers, sit down too. Obstruction or no obstruction, you don't go at a player's head like Weight did. I have been a fan of Weight back to his days here in the Soo at Lake State, but the guy easily deserves 5 games at the very least. It was freakin Sedin! If he was THAT pissed, he should have been more of a man and drop his gloves. Going at his head the way he did showed that he is a coward to a certain degree.

I have been a fan of Weight for quite a long time and will be for quite a while longer, but he has to pay for what he did. If it was an Oiler in place of Sedin, you would be crying bloody murder, and you all know it too.

I expect 5 games but hope for 8. Yeah, I have Weight in my Hockey News Pool so it would cost me to , but accountability is accountability.

Edited to add that I just went to tsn.ca and they have a still shot of the cross check. It wasn't even a case of Weight trying to give him a shot in the face with his gloves. The pic CLEARLY shows how far apart his gloves are. It was a deliberate attempt to injure a player, and there is no way to twist it. Man I am shocked that Weight would fall to that level. NHL, you have stated in the past your desire to address head shots, now you can show that it doesn't matter who the player is. Star or not, Weight deserves to get nailed for this.

I never said he didn't deserve to be suspended, I just said I loved watching it.

Henrik missed virtually no time, he isn't injured... I don't think weight is getting 5-8 games, especially after allen only gets 2 for breaking Zetterbergs leg.

gretzky2kurri 11-07-2003 09:07 AM

If Weight would have done that to Torres, people here would be calling for 6 games.

I don't like the ugly twin sister either, but that was a pretty bad decision.

No chiclets.............2 games.

dawgbone 11-07-2003 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kruezer
I think he'll end up with 2 games. He should get something, but I agree it was just one bad choice.

BTW, will everyone (not just Oiler fans, I just answered here) stop bashing the Sedin's if they outscore (for example) Hemsky this season? Cause it could very easily happen and it would not surprise me at all, will they get some respect then?

Meh, it's fun to harp on them, because a lot of us Oiler fans had the whole Sedin trade and pick moves shoved down our throats as the greatest move in hockey history, and that the Sedins would turn the NHL on it's heals and dominate it...

So until they do, it is fun to ridicule them... and rag the Nuck fans.

P.S.

I don't see them out-scoring Hemsky this season... combined they will, but I don't think one or the other will. Just a personal opinion.

edler von real gud 11-07-2003 09:09 AM

Yes, it's all fun and games to make fun of the Sedins, but Daniel Sedin has more points than any Oiler, and if he's a girl, what does that say about the Oilers? :dunno:

Vyse64 11-07-2003 09:23 AM

Weight gets 1 game, 2 games max no more

dawgbone 11-07-2003 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koltsov
Yes, it's all fun and games to make fun of the Sedins, but Daniel Sedin has more points than any Oiler, and if he's a girl, what does that say about the Oilers? :dunno:

That they got shutout twice and didn't have a good start to the season...

and BTW, Matt Cooke was looking like he was on pace to Shatter Gretzky's record for points in a season 2 games in... I'd give it a little time.

edler von real gud 11-07-2003 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawgbone
That they got shutout twice and didn't have a good start to the season...

and BTW, Matt Cooke was looking like he was on pace to Shatter Gretzky's record for points in a season 2 games in... I'd give it a little time.

I know it's early, I'm just tired of people making fun the Sedins for the way they look. Please judge them on their ability, not on how they look. The fact is that they are good players, I just think it's immature to say some of the stuff they have been called like mutants, aliens, power puff girls, sedin sisters, *******, etc without even talking about their hockey ability. I was just making a point that hockey wise, Daniel Sedin has more points than any Oiler at the moment, although that might change. If you want to think of them as "power puff girls" fine, but that just makes the Oiler team look worse when a "power puff girl" has more points than any of them. :moon:

USC Trojans 11-07-2003 09:56 AM

Quote:

If you want to think of them as "power puff girls" fine, but that just makes the Oiler team look worse when a "power puff girl" has more points than any of them. :moon:

Have you SEEN how powerful the Power Puff Girls are? I mean, they can fly, and lift up cars and stuff. Bad Mojo Jojo...Bad.

oilers_guy_eddie 11-07-2003 09:59 AM

Quote:

I know it's early, I'm just tired of people making fun the Sedins for the way they look.

Yeah, I see what you're getting at, but you've gotta admit... they're pretty funny looking.

edler von real gud 11-07-2003 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie
Yeah, I see what you're getting at, but you've gotta admit... they're pretty funny looking.

Yeah I know they do, but I don't think it's really appropriate to make fun of them so much. I dunno, I just don't like the bully mentallity, I think people who make fun of the way the Sedins look have their own insecurities of how they view themselves. It's okay to make a Sedin joke once in a while, but after a while it gets rather old, I know they look different, but some people need to stop beating the horse to death with it. I'm a hockey fan, I don't care if my team is full of Sedins, as long as they win, that's all I care about.

dawgbone 11-07-2003 10:14 AM

Are sopel jokes okay?

Because he is easily 5 times uglier than either Sedin...

Who cares if anyone makes fun of how the Sedin's look... hell, people call Smyth Captain Mullet... who cares?

Mizral 11-07-2003 10:24 AM

copperandblue,

I am a big fan of Weight too, and still am even after this. But to say he doesn't have a history of doing this isn't correct.

Remember the two-handed slash to Matvichuk's face in the playoffs a couple years back? He was an Oiler then.

dawgbone 11-07-2003 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizral
copperandblue,

I am a big fan of Weight too, and still am even after this. But to say he doesn't have a history of doing this isn't correct.

Remember the two-handed slash to Matvichuk's face in the playoffs a couple years back? He was an Oiler then.

I don't remember that... but I do remember him going ape-poop on Marchment.

edler von real gud 11-07-2003 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawgbone
Are sopel jokes okay?

Because he is easily 5 times uglier than either Sedin...

Who cares if anyone makes fun of how the Sedin's look... hell, people call Smyth Captain Mullet... who cares?

I have no problem if you want to make fun of how a player looks, I just feel it's immature to do. I'd much rather talk about the players on the ice, this is a hockey message board, not a Maury Povich makeover show. :joker:

I'd much rather talk about how I don't like Sopel hockeywise, because he turns the puck over, and has goodyear tires, than talk about how he looks like the "chunky caveman".