HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   And our 2nd round pick is ..... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=262655)

Rather Gingerly 1* 06-24-2006 09:37 PM

And our 2nd round pick is .....

Ben Maxwell

yoteshot 06-24-2006 09:40 PM

And Mathieu Carle!

deandebean 06-24-2006 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2_kovalev_7
And Mathieu Carle!

bad pick.

katodelder 06-24-2006 10:31 PM

Maxwell's skills might not translate to NHL -- another Corey Locke type pick.

Carle is out of shape and doesn't seems to have the work ethic needed to make the NHL.

White (3rd rounder from Philly, not sure what they tarded) looks like a hard worker and could make the NHL as a checker one day, but questions over his skating dropped him.

Intruging players passed over: Sanguinetti, Giroux, Summers, Danis-Pepin, Geoffrion, Williams, Anisimov, Joensuu, McBain... heck even a fighter like Lucic would have been good.

Anyone else out there getting tired of Trevor Timmins and Andre Savard?

Anyone?

CH Wizard 06-24-2006 10:32 PM

I like Maxwell alot...lots of speed. Katoelder is a bit right but Maxwell isnt 5'8 but he plays like he's 5'8 (he's 6'0). Nice all around skills and he's really fast.

We picked Carle instead of Anisimov.............*sigh*

toshiro 06-24-2006 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katodelder

Carle is out of shape and doesn't seems to have the work ethic needed to make the NHL.

White (3rd rounder from Philly, not sure what they tarded) looks like a hard worker and could make the NHL as a checker one day, but questions over his skating dropped him.

Intruging players passed over: Sanguinetti, Giroux, Summers, Danis-Pepin, Geoffrion, Williams, Anisimov, Joensuu, McBain... heck even a fighter like Lucic would have been good.

Maxwell has quick acceleration and good overall speed which Corey lacks. No slowpokes this year. It was a good day.

Anyone?

Ginoro 06-24-2006 10:42 PM

I'd say that I'm more getting tired of people that thinks that because they read some stuff on Redline, Mckeen, Tsn etc believe that they're better scouts than professionnals scouts. I couldnt be more satisfied of the draft they did in the past few years... They're doing a WAYYYYYYYYYYYY better job than most teams.

katodelder 06-24-2006 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toshiro
no slowpokes this year

White isn't exactly fleet of foot.

This has not been a good day for the Habs. They continue to get schooled by other organizations on how to draft out of the QMJHL. Carle was the one QMJHLer I hoped they wouldn't pick...

...and in terms of trades, the Habs are just not in the discussion. Either teams aren't talking to them or the Habs just turn a def ear to what's going on around them. I mean, couldn't the Habs have offered more than Jordan freekin' Leopold and a 2nd rounder to Colorado for Tanguay or did the Habs just have no clue the Avs were making him available?

Hey, does anyone know what the Habs gave up to switch 3rd rounders with Philly?

EDIT: nevermind, as per NHL.com the Habs gave up their fourth rounder to Philly, which the Flyers used to select Jakub Kovar a Czech goalie who could be a sleeper.

znk 06-24-2006 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katodelder

Anyone?

Locke is slow.
Maxwell is...well from a post in the other thread...
Quote:

Originally Posted by NBHABSFAN
BEN MAXWELL
Kootenay • WHL
6’ 0”, 177 lbs. Center, shoots left
Born: March 30, 1988 in North Vancouver, British Columbia
Final Ranking: 44 • Mid-Term Ranking: 42 • North American Skater
Central Scouting Report: Has quick acceleration with a strong stride
and good overall speed ... uses quick bursts to hit holes and break
free of traffic ... skates well backwards
and plays the point on the
power-play where he picked up a lot of points ... a deft puckhandler
who passes the puck very well through congested areas – makes
good decisions with the puck and moves it quickly and smart ... has
sharp hockey sense and good vision on the ice ... Kootenay’s 1st pick,2nd overall in the 2003 WHL Bantam Draft ... was a member of Team Pacific for the 2005 Under-17 World Hockey Challenge and a member of Team Canada for the 2005 Under-18 Junior World Cup ... selected to the 2006 Top Prospects Game in Ottawa where he won the 60’ and 150’ dash in the skills competition.

Personal Profile: Nickname is Maxy ... favorite team is the Vancouver Canucks ...favorite player is Calgary’s Jarome Iginla ... wears jersey number 16 because “good players wear it (Linden, LaFontaine)” ... says that the support and confidence of his parents throughout his minor hockey days has been the greatest influence on his career ... patterns his game after Iginla because he is a well-rounded player ... outside of sports he most admires his father because he has “great people skills socially and in business” ... most memorable hockey game played was winning the gold medal game in the Under-18 tournament in the Czech Republic against the hometown Czechs ... most memorable hockey game watched was Game 6 of the 1994 Stanley Cup Finals when the Canucks beat the Rangers 4-1 ... favorites include: Family Guy (TV show), Top Gun (movie), Jim Carrey & Jessica Alba (actors) and Nickelback (band) ... if he could have dinner with any three people, they would be: Wayne Gretzky – “best hockey player,” Jessica Alba – “great style,” and Ronaldinho – “a soccer player from Brazil who I like.”

Statistics
Season Team League GP G A Pts PIM
2005-06 Kootenay WHL 69 28 32 60 52

And now I'm not tired of Timmins and Savard the choices they made in recent years have mostly all paned out.

davey999 06-24-2006 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by znk
Locke is slow.
Maxwell is...well from a post in the other thread...

And now I'm not tired of Timmins and Savard the choices they made in recent years have mostly all paned out.

They have?

turnbuckle* 06-24-2006 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davey999
They have?

Well; since 'paned out' can mean shattered...;)

nyhabsfan 06-24-2006 11:47 PM

Come on everyone.... while I agree some players we passed over seemed better than some of the players we picked... it's a crap shoot.

A little faith in our scouts guys... let's see how we pan out in the next couple of years.

I mean Chipcura, Kotys brothers, Higgins, Latts... we have certainly been drafting better. The last two years we've added Ryder and Higgins, not to mention Plekanec and Perazhogin.

Let's see what happens and not overreact!!

jcpenny 06-25-2006 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyhabsfan
Come on everyone.... while I agree some players we passed over seemed better than some of the players we picked... it's a crap shoot.

A little faith in our scouts guys... let's see how we pan out in the next couple of years.

I mean Chipcura, Kotys brothers, Higgins, Latts... we have certainly been drafting better. The last two years we've added Ryder and Higgins, not to mention Plekanec and Perazhogin.

Let's see what happens and not overreact!!

Youre preaching to the wrong crowd... :biglaugh:

tinyzombies 06-25-2006 04:04 AM

[QUOTE=katodelder]...couldn't the Habs have offered more than Jordan freekin' Leopold and a 2nd rounder to Colorado for Tanguay or did the Habs just have no clue the Avs were making him available?

[QUOTE]

We don't have anyone better than Leopold as a puckmover other than Markov. What do you suggest?