HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   We probably could have done better but.... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=262808)

Rather Gingerly 1* 06-25-2006 05:55 AM

We probably could have done better but....

We did get 3 players the Hockey News had rated in the top 25. From where we were drafting that is pretty good.

turnbuckle* 06-25-2006 06:15 AM

Yeah; in hindsight we got some decent prospects - McKeen's had Fischer 17th, Maxwell 25th and White 40th, so that's decent value (Carle was 102nd). I would have liked to have left the draft with Stewart, Maxwell and White; or Summers, Maxwell and White, but two out of three ain't bad, and the Habs did well to add an extra second rounder

At least Maxwell gives us a potential second-line center, and the team added four defencemen to the depth chart, so the team certainly drafted for need while I'm assuming still picking their BPAs.

Here's some McKeen's info on Maxwell from the Under 18s:

Has elite poise with the puck and excellent vision .. very soft hands and is the type of player that always seems to be getting a lot of extra time with the puck, which is a sign of quality talent .. an excellent player for running the powerplay, as he has a crisp passing and the ability to see the openings few others are capable of .. smooth skater, although his top speed is somewhat lacking, but that rarely bothers his game due to his puckhandling skills and hockey sense .. reads the game very well and always knows what do next .. above average wrist shot, but make no mistake, he's more of a playmaker than a sniper .. seems to elevate his game when the going gets tough, was one of the few Canadians not to freeze up in the semi-final against Finland .. does not shy away from traffic and has enough strength to cover the puck very along the boards and wins a good share of the battles.

Maxwell was highly thought of last season, but I think he took a hit this season with some soft performances. Still; one of the most talented players in the draft, and he's certainly not playing in a soft league - he works on his grit and we might have a sleeper.

Fischer and Carle have offensive potential - White is one of those kids that is cut out for the NHL - he won't be a top-line player, but he brings all of the intangibles to be a successful role player in the NHL, including decent speed.

BLONG7 06-25-2006 08:16 AM

The draft has always been a crapshoot for the Habs....We never finish low enough to get a Johnson, or a Stall...That being said, in the last few years we do seem to be getting a little more luck with some of our picks,(even from Houle's era) and that is starting to show with Komi,Higgins,Pleks, etc...Anyhow, I think next week on July 1st, I am hoping that BG will make some noise with a free agent, or two...who knows...

V-2 Schneider 06-25-2006 08:35 AM

Examine the top picks closely, and note a pattern in how Montreal selects talent.They will not draft a top player with questionable hockey sense.Period! Note how Fischer,Maxwell,Carle and White all make good,quick decisions,can control the puck well, and are all tough to knock off their feet.These players show they can be coachable and intelligent enough to improve other aspects of their game.Montreal is not going to invest time and talent in developing prospects that lack the mental toughness and acuity needed to play in the NHL.

AFAIK, Montreal is managing their draft assets as well as anyone in the NHL,and doing what it takes to reduce the risk of picking a bust.Our top three selections all have high skill,but possess the mental strengths to progress to another level.

RC51 06-25-2006 08:57 AM

SO Gainey could not move up at a good price.
But what he did do was get 4 within the top 60.
It was said that after the first 10 or so it was a crap shoot, meaning that the next group of players all have something but all need a bit of work.
Gainey should only have had 2 picks in the top 60 as most clubs but did move up to get 4 picks. In fact I believe Gainey ended up 3rd in amount of quality top 60. All have good speed and can move that puck. Gainey did not fall for any HUGE lumbering giants. If your BIG and FAST then ok, but if your just BIG and in the new NHL this won't work anymore.

So no home runs, but 4 doubles.

I can't call this a bad day and Gainey has put 2 centres and 4 d-men in the system, and with more picks then most in the top 60, thier is just that much more chance that someone will eventualy become a star.

Habsaku 06-25-2006 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RC51
SO Gainey could not move up at a good price.
But what he did do was get 4 within the top 60.
It was said that after the first 10 or so it was a crap shoot, meaning that the next group of players all have something but all need a bit of work.
Gainey should only have had 2 picks in the top 60 as most clubs but did move up to get 4 picks. In fact I believe Gainey ended up 3rd in amount of quality top 60. All have good speed and can move that puck. Gainey did not fall for any HUGE lumbering giants. If your BIG and FAST then ok, but if your just BIG and in the new NHL this won't work anymore.

So no home runs, but 4 doubles.

I can't call this a bad day and Gainey has put 2 centres and 4 d-men in the system, and with more picks then most in the top 60, thier is just that much more chance that someone will eventualy become a star.

I'd be surprised if any of them become stars personally. I see them more as potential solid NHLers. Reminds me of when the Canadiens picked Higgins.

Teufelsdreck 06-25-2006 09:29 AM

Let's face it, the Habs can improve in the next few years with good, solid draft picks, but how high can they go? Unfortunately, several other teams are really loading up for the future with gems. Take Pittsburgh. The Penguins have added Jordan Staal to Crosby and Malkin at the center position. It bugs me to think of what the Habs have now (or even what they will have) in comparison. My only (slight) consolation is that the Hurricanes didn't get Jordan Staal.

All-Star 06-25-2006 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck
Let's face it, the Habs can improve in the next few years with good, solid draft picks, but how high can they go? Unfortunately, several other teams are really loading up for the future with gems. Take Pittsburgh. The Penguins have added Jordan Staal to Crosby and Malkin at the center position. It bugs me to think of what the Habs have now (or even what they will have) in comparison. My only (slight) consolation is that the Hurricanes didn't get Jordan Staal.

I'd rather see my team improve while winning than bottom feeding like Pittsburgh. By the time Pittsburgh is ready to compete it could very well be that they'll lose Crosby or Fleury to UFA; big names tend to get expensive very fast... As far as I know, Pittsburgh still has a really ****** defence, and are paper thin in almost every position except center because they tend to suck when drafting in the later rounds. The Habs on the other hand are slowly building building themselves up to being a trade deadline aquisition away from a serious cup run.

In the playoffs, a team needs depth or luck to win the cup. I'd rather bet on depth.

Freaky Habs Fan 06-25-2006 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habsaku
I'd be surprised if any of them become stars personally. I see them more as potential solid NHLers. Reminds me of when the Canadiens picked Higgins.

And we don't really need to draft only star players...The Hurricanes had one star and many good NHLer and they won the cup! We can do the same thing!

I'm pretty happy with the draft. Fischer seem to be a pretty solid all around defenceman. Last year, he had to play with the cancer of his mother on his mind, just like Komisarek this year. Right now, it's hard to know his upside because he was only playing for a high school team, but next year, we will have a good idea.

And the other picks are pretty solid. Gainey is creating a team with skills and grit...a team that will always be better in the playoffs!

The future is bright guys!