HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   I like where Clarke is going... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=263631)

TheKingPin 06-27-2006 11:21 AM

I like where Clarke is going...
 
With the recent signings of Murray and Tapper and the past drafties it is clear that Clarke is going for cheap speed. This means that we are going to have a team that is atleast headed in the right direction. With these cheap players being signed and with the planed young players comming up does it seem like Clarke is trying to save money to make a big signing or two? Or is this simply a way of making up for the money we have to give to Hatcher? I think that the big money guys of this off season attracting all the attention will allow us to get number two guys for cheaper if we go after them from the get go. I.e. Kubina and ignore Chara. THoughts?

BobbyClarkeFan16 06-27-2006 12:08 PM

I like the idea of Kubina, but I've got a sneaking suspicion that the player the Flyers will target will be Ed Jovanovski. And to be perfectly honest, I like the idea of Ed in Philadelphia. He's a mobile player, he's got a mean streak, he is a great offensive catalyst, but he lacks a little bit defensively. He'd make a great second pairing with Hatcher or Gauthier. It also means that we can leave Meyer with a banger and we can let Picard develop properly. No need in handing Alex the 7th spot if he isn't quite ready yet.

John Flyers Fan 06-27-2006 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16
I like the idea of Kubina, but I've got a sneaking suspicion that the player the Flyers will target will be Ed Jovanovski. And to be perfectly honest, I like the idea of Ed in Philadelphia. He's a mobile player, he's got a mean streak, he is a great offensive catalyst, but he lacks a little bit defensively. He'd make a great second pairing with Hatcher or Gauthier. It also means that we can leave Meyer with a banger and we can let Picard develop properly. No need in handing Alex the 7th spot if he isn't quite ready yet.


Agreed. I wouldn't mind Kubina, but I 'd prefer a better skater. We have the money for JoVo.

Pitkanen - Rathke
Hatcher - JoVo
Meyer - Gauthier
7th

Let Picard play 20+ minutes a night with the Phantoms.

GoneFullHextall 06-27-2006 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16
I like the idea of Kubina, but I've got a sneaking suspicion that the player the Flyers will target will be Ed Jovanovski. And to be perfectly honest, I like the idea of Ed in Philadelphia. He's a mobile player, he's got a mean streak, he is a great offensive catalyst, but he lacks a little bit defensively. He'd make a great second pairing with Hatcher or Gauthier. It also means that we can leave Meyer with a banger and we can let Picard develop properly. No need in handing Alex the 7th spot if he isn't quite ready yet.


My only concern would be getting Jovo would probably prevent the Flyers from getting that 2nd line winger they really need.

BobbyClarkeFan16 06-27-2006 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClarkeMustGoDotCom
My only concern would be getting Jovo would probably prevent the Flyers from getting that 2nd line winger they really need.

Well, if you figure that letting KJ and Rico walk, that's what, four, almost five million in salary that's walking away. That money right there can be used to sign Jovanovski. When you add in Therien, Brashear and Savage, that's about 2.5 to 2.7 million right there that can be used to get a 2nd line winger. It shouldn't cost us any more than 2 to 2.5 to get a good 2nd line winger.

John Flyers Fan 06-27-2006 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClarkeMustGoDotCom
My only concern would be getting Jovo would probably prevent the Flyers from getting that 2nd line winger they really need.

Best bet would be to save the money and then grab the 2nd line winger closer to the trade deadline, or even better move Zeus once Forsberg returns for the 2nd line winger.

GoneFullHextall 06-27-2006 12:53 PM

well I would be shocked to get Jovanovski still. Does he want the money or does he want to win? If he wants to win we could probably sell it to him to take less money say 4 per, then say the money he might get from say Florida who I still think is going to throw allot of money at him once the insanity begins on Saturday.
If we get Jovo I will be thrilled.

tytech 06-27-2006 01:18 PM

We'd have two "basically" rookie D carrying the puck. Meyer and Pitkanen. Everyone else stays at home. We need Johnson back IMO, or someone with that style at least. If Kapanen goes back there I'd be ecstatic.

swflyers8* 06-27-2006 01:22 PM

JoVo has been very mistake prone in the new NHL.

phlacheesesteak 06-27-2006 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
Best bet would be to save the money and then grab the 2nd line winger closer to the trade deadline, or even better move Zeus once Forsberg returns for the 2nd line winger.

I think what happenes to Primes this season will determine if Handzeus stays or is traded...at this point he has great value as a primary checking center for any team in the league and could fetch a great deal, but im thinking mid 06-07 season before a decision is made on him

GKJ 06-27-2006 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
Best bet would be to save the money and then grab the 2nd line winger closer to the trade deadline, or even better move Zeus once Forsberg returns for the 2nd line winger.



or we can dump Nedved and open up the money to do that.

BobbyClarkeFan16 06-27-2006 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HungryforHockey25
JoVo has been very mistake prone in the new NHL.

I'm willing to let the past season slide with regards to Jovanovski. He was playing with a bad groin pretty much most of the year. I think he'd be a great fit here.

Dragon 06-27-2006 01:37 PM

You guys should go after Denis instead

phlacheesesteak 06-27-2006 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragon
You guys should go after Denis instead

:biglaugh:

we already have two goalie issues to worry about next year..we dont need another one...im hoping nitty takes the 1st spot for next year.

Steve L* 06-27-2006 01:43 PM

I was with you if the 1st line of your post was going to be "to live permanently in Tibet" ;)

BobbyClarkeFan16 06-27-2006 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hfphillystyle
:biglaugh:

we already have two goalie issues to worry about next year..we dont need another one...im hoping nitty takes the 1st spot for next year.

Coaching and management just need to suck it up and name one of the goalies the starter. It's as simple as that. The platoon situation has never worked in Philadelphia and it has always lead to bad blood being developed.

It's almost like coaching and management are afraid to name one of the guys the starter because they don't want someone's nose to be bent out of shape. Too bad. All the great teams have their number one guy. I've got funny feeling that if it were up to Hitch, Esche would be the number one guy and that if it were up to Clarke, Niittymaki would be the number one guy. I think that's where all the problems lie right now. And someone needs to step forward and just lay it all on the line. Name one of the goalies the starter and get it over with.

John Flyers Fan 06-27-2006 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16
Coaching and management just need to suck it up and name one of the goalies the starter. It's as simple as that. The platoon situation has never worked in Philadelphia and it has always lead to bad blood being developed.

It's almost like coaching and management are afraid to name one of the guys the starter because they don't want someone's nose to be bent out of shape. Too bad. All the great teams have their number one guy. I've got funny feeling that if it were up to Hitch, Esche would be the number one guy and that if it were up to Clarke, Niittymaki would be the number one guy. I think that's where all the problems lie right now. And someone needs to step forward and just lay it all on the line. Name one of the goalies the starter and get it over with.


How about one of the goalies stepping up and proving that I'm the number one guy ???

Niitty started to make that statement on the long road trip and then during the lympics, but then when given the chance to claim the number one spot in march he went in the tank.

Banger 06-27-2006 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16
Coaching and management just need to suck it up and name one of the goalies the starter. It's as simple as that. The platoon situation has never worked in Philadelphia and it has always lead to bad blood being developed.

It's almost like coaching and management are afraid to name one of the guys the starter because they don't want someone's nose to be bent out of shape. Too bad. All the great teams have their number one guy. I've got funny feeling that if it were up to Hitch, Esche would be the number one guy and that if it were up to Clarke, Niittymaki would be the number one guy. I think that's where all the problems lie right now. And someone needs to step forward and just lay it all on the line. Name one of the goalies the starter and get it over with.

I disagree. I think Hitch was looking for one of the goalies to step up and neither did. They had nearly identical (average) numbers. Nitty had one of the most amazing stretchs I can remember for a goalie, let alone a rookie, but looked fairly mortal the rest of the season. Esche played just as well as Nitty down the stretch and since Esche had the playoff experience they went with him. I'm not against giving one of the guys the job and in fact I think that Nitty has the better upside but you don't just flip a coin and give to one of them for the sake of having a "starter". They have to go out there and earn the job and neither of them did.

I don't think Hitch is afraid that Esche's nose will be out of joint at all, in fact he was playing games or at least wasn't revealing his hand which led to Esche's bizarre quotes regarding Nitty being the playoff goalie.

GKJ 06-27-2006 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
How about one of the goalies stepping up and proving that I'm the number one guy ???

Niitty started to make that statement on the long road trip and then during the lympics, but then when given the chance to claim the number one spot in march he went in the tank.


Could some of that have to do with the fact that Hitchcock refused to rest him during the long road trip with the lamest excuse we've ever heard?

GoneFullHextall 06-27-2006 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514
Could some of that have to do with the fact that Hitchcock refused to rest him during the long road trip with the lamest excuse we've ever heard?


totally agree, the kid was probably burnt out. No reason Storr could not have started one of those games against Chicago or Washington. definitly a mismangement there.

John Flyers Fan 06-27-2006 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514
Could some of that have to do with the fact that Hitchcock refused to rest him during the long road trip with the lamest excuse we've ever heard?

Rest my ***. Brodeur plays 95 games a year, when we've had great #1 goalies they've always played 65 games or so (Parent, Lindbergh, Hextall - rookie year).

True stud number one goalies should start 65 or so games a year.

Niittymaki ******** the bed in March because he was tired is a weak, weak excuse.

Winston Wolf 06-27-2006 02:39 PM

Jovo is strongly rumored to be signing with Florida. Not that I really want him anyways, his nickname is "Special Ed" for a reason. I'd rather sign two lower profile guys that are solid in their own zone, but can still play when they have the puck on their stick.

Guys like Kuba, Zyuzin, Skrastins, Danny Markov, Wallin, etc. I'd be thrilled if we could get two of those guys for a reasonable price.

Winston Wolf 06-27-2006 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tytech
We'd have two "basically" rookie D carrying the puck. Meyer and Pitkanen. Everyone else stays at home. We need Johnson back IMO, or someone with that style at least. If Kapanen goes back there I'd be ecstatic.

You said "basically" but that's still not even close to being true. Joni Pitkanen has 150 career NHL games under his belt, he'll be playing 25 minutes a night every night next year, that's hardly a rookie D.

malfeasance 06-27-2006 03:05 PM

Not for nothing, but Jovo is in Florida right now "vacationing" and gushing to locals about Bertuzzi. So I wouldn't get my hopes up for him to make to the Flyers.

markzab 06-27-2006 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by malfeasance
Not for nothing, but Jovo is in Florida right now "vacationing" and gushing to locals about Bertuzzi. So I wouldn't get my hopes up for him to make to the Flyers.

Took the words...uh...letters right off of my kayboard? :dunno:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:07 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.