HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Brisebois-Koivu Jagr (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=26395)

HabsoluteFate 11-07-2003 07:44 PM

Brisebois-Koivu Jagr
 
Im sure you have all heard the rumours...that Montreal might have a trade in the works for Jagr...involving Koivu and Brisebois....

not that im trying to add more fuel to the fire but after two periods tonight Brisebois was the most used Defenceman on the habs and Koivu was the most used forward on the Habs.....

just a thought....

Jeffrey 11-07-2003 08:25 PM

and if this happen i'll be so pissed ... grrr.. koivu is the biggest reason why i see the habs right now ... :mad:

Habsolution 11-07-2003 08:42 PM

If this deal goes down I'll stop cheering for the habs. It's as simple as that. Gainey has no business screwing up our franchise for the next 5 years.

Assuming there's a salary cap of 40M (even if Bettman is talking about 32M, 40M is more realistic) that would leave 29 M for the rest. Add Theo with his 6M and there's 23 M for about 21 players. That means we wouldn't be able to keep Zednik and Markov on their next contracts just so we can keep our "superstar" !!!

Now imagine 5 years from now, a 37 years old Jagr floating around hated by everyone and bashed constantly by the medias and fans. Jagr is a world class talent but he is not gonna get better with time. Plus there's absolutely no insurance that the guy won't choke big time in Mtl like many others do.

We're not ready to acquire a guy like that. Seeing all the habs fans wanting to trade Saku for a cancer like Jagr make me wanna puke.

cover_all_the_angles 11-07-2003 08:44 PM

getting jagr won't improve this team. it will just create more problems !

JordanStaal#1Fan 11-07-2003 09:12 PM

If this trade happens, I'll burn Habs jersey and I'll buy a brand new Jason Spezza jersey (The Sens are my 2nd favorite team)...

I love the Habs but Bob, please, don't do that! We don't need that self-fish ahole on our team. Plus, Koivu is our captain, the heart and soul of our team, don't trade him for a cancer like this Lemieux wannabe...

Nyclaus 11-07-2003 09:18 PM

It makes no sense for Washington to be unloading Jagr while taking big salaries like Koivu's and Brisebois's....Expect them to be looking for bluechip prospects instead for Jagr.

m2c!

Owen Wilson 11-07-2003 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nyclaus
It makes no sense for Washington to be unloading Jagr while taking big salaries like Koivu's and Brisebois's....Expect them to be looking for bluechip prospects instead for Jagr.

m2c!

Wrong!

The Caps want to get rid of Jagr, they'll let him go for a bag of pucks! Even by getting Koivu's and Brisebois salary they still save a couple of million.

8b 11-07-2003 11:13 PM

The problem I see if this trade happen is who will center Jagr? Neither Ribeiro or Perreault are no.1 centers, the habs will have the same problem (not having 2 all star attaquer).

Then the habs would need another first line center...

Munchausen 11-08-2003 03:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Owen Wilson
Wrong!

The Caps want to get rid of Jagr, they'll let him go for a bag of pucks! Even by getting Koivu's and Brisebois salary they still save a couple of million.

If a couples means about 40 millions in your vocabulary than yes, they'd save a couple of them. ;)

Habs4ever 11-08-2003 04:29 AM

If caps really wanted Koivu then let them have him along with Briseboise
 
Asking price is this years first round pick along with top prospect we're rebuilding and BG should know we need to develop the whole new core of players and Bringing Jagr won't make us win anything.

RE-HABS 11-08-2003 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nyclaus
It makes no sense for Washington to be unloading Jagr while taking big salaries like Koivu's and Brisebois's....Expect them to be looking for bluechip prospects instead for Jagr.

m2c!

No NHL team (not even the Rangers) are going to get Jagr unless they can dump salary of their own, no one wants to take on 11 million without making room for it. The Caps have to be willing to make a swap for a couple of players with a lot of salary coming over to them, if not they are stuck with Jaromir (Mario Jr).

Howie Morenz 11-08-2003 05:13 AM

Realistically,it will never happen. So don't worry. :shakehead

Munchausen 11-08-2003 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Komisarek
I would be really happy, Koivu and Jagr are about the same age, and i think with Jagr in montreal, a new scenery, fresh start, he's going to play good.

Wishful thinking.

Jagr is a cancer. He has been in Pittsburgh, and then in Washington. Montreal won't be any exception just because the fans want to. Media is going to get on his back when he's soft, heartless and inconsistent (like he always is), then the fans will jump aboard the bashing bandwagon like they unfortunately always do, then Jagr will whine, say he's not appreciated to his true value, try to get CJ's head, threaten to go back in Europe, had his heart crushed by an other girlfriend, lost some money in the casino, broke a fingernail, yadde yadde yadda, Montreal tries to dump his contract for a couple of used pucks.

habs1988 11-08-2003 05:22 AM

I think that if Caps trade Jagr for Koivu and Breeze, they will have to give 2 millions to MTL. MTL needs to reduce his payroll. Koivu is 5 millions and Breeze is 4 millions. So, Jagr just needs a new team now. His team doesn't win now, so he can't play. If he comes to MTL, I'm sure he will play better than now and with Ribeiro as his center, it's gonna be good to see. Let's see....

RE-HABS 11-08-2003 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Munchausen
Wishful thinking.

Jagr is a cancer. He has been in Pittsburgh, and then in Washington.

I'm not a backer of this trade or a person who opposes such a trade, but the same has been said about Fedorov and Yashin, but plain and simple they produce even with their flaws.

Every team has one or two of those guys that wants more icetime or feels they shouldn't have to work as hard defensively it's natural for these top end guys to do that, they want to score they don't want to play D. There are only a couple of exceptions to this and their offensive numbers would be higher if they ignored the defensive zone and played strictly offense and they are Federov, Modano, Elias, Scott Niedermeyer, a much younger and healthier Stevie Y, Sakic, Francis (younger too), Alfredsson and more. But they are the exception, they are willing to play more of the all around game, every team or at least every other team has a prima madonna.

I'm sure if Jagr came and we were winning the team, media and fans wouldn't care one bit.

Munchausen 11-08-2003 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RE-HABS
I'm not a backer of this trade or a person who opposes such a trade, but the same has been said about Fedorov and Yashin, but plain and simple they produce even with their flaws.

Every team has one or two of those guys that wants more icetime or feels they shouldn't have to work as hard defensively it's natural for these top end guys to do that, they want to score they don't want to play D. There are only a couple of exceptions to this and their offensive numbers would be higher if they ignored the defensive zone and played strictly offense and they are Federov, Modano, Elias, Scott Niedermeyer, a much younger and healthier Stevie Y, Sakic, Francis (younger too), Alfredsson and more. But they are the exception, they are willing to play more of the all around game, every team or at least every other team has a prima madonna.

I'm sure if Jagr came and we were winning the team, media and fans wouldn't care one bit.

Good points. Though Jagr's cancer label goes beyond just money issues, which was the main problem for players like Yashin and Federov. Good points nonetheless.

Beatnik 11-08-2003 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Munchausen
Wishful thinking.

Jagr is a cancer. He has been in Pittsburgh, and then in Washington.

A cancer who brang his team in playoffs in 12 of his 13 NHL years!!!

We need more cancer like that.

But i agree it would not work for him in Montreal because he does'nt need to work hard to make his plays (I call it hockey sense but most call it lazyness) and people here seems to hate that kind of players here. He would be boo the first time he would not score in 2 game.
Remember Turgeon? he was always the best scorer of the team and one of the less popular player.

Or look at Sundin in Québec many years ago, people were happy to get a ¨real¨ player in Wendle Clark instead of this big Baby.

tinyzombies 11-08-2003 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nyclaus
It makes no sense for Washington to be unloading Jagr while taking big salaries like Koivu's and Brisebois's....Expect them to be looking for bluechip prospects instead for Jagr.

m2c!

But Breezy has a $1 mil buyout at the end of the year and Koivu's contract is up after next year. If you compare the contracts, we would take on about $40 million bucks and they would only take on about $2.5 for Breezy plus the $1 mil buyout, and $7.5 for Koivu.

$40 mil minus $11 mil equals a $29 million dollar savings for Washington over the term of Jagr's contract, plus they get Koivu at about $4 mil for the rest of his career.

If you subtract a longterm contract for Koivu, they still save $13 mil over the remainder of Jagr's contract. Pretty good deal for them I'd say, not great. They save about $3 mil a year while losing Jagr and gaining Koivu. The numbers work out pretty well for a trade for Washington, but we'd get to swallow a whole lot of money.

Habsaku 11-08-2003 12:18 PM

This is a ridiculous trade which I can't believe some ignorant fans hope will happen. This team is divided enough and now we hope our only reasonnable leader will get traded for that past his prime in the decline 11M$ moron Jagr. If you want the biggest whiner, most overpaid softie in this league, get Jagr. He'll get you abo0ut 75 points(face it, his 100 point seasons are over) and still be in the minuses. If you want to trade Koivu, at least get something decent that won't ruin this franchise both economically and for the future.

Mike8 11-08-2003 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habsaku
This is a ridiculous trade which I can't believe some ignorant fans hope will happen. This team is divided enough and now we hope our only reasonnable leader will get traded for that past his prime in the decline 11M$ moron Jagr. If you want the biggest whiner, most overpaid softie in this league, get Jagr. He'll get you abo0ut 75 points(face it, his 100 point seasons are over) and still be in the minuses. If you want to trade Koivu, at least get something decent that won't ruin this franchise both economically and for the future.

Agreed.

With that said, let's think logically about a Jagr deal for a second. Considering salaries involved, Koivu is a far more valuable asset than Jagr. There's not a chance he would be moved for Jagr.

If the Habs look to pick up Jagr, expect Rivet and one of Brisebois or Audette to be involved the other day. The Caps would need to pick up some salary in return. Audette would need to be moved.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:31 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.