HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   New article about Francis Bouillon (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=264099)

Louis Houde 06-28-2006 12:46 PM

New article about Francis Bouillon

http://www2.sportsnet.ca/blogs/louis...ying_the_habs/

BORAT 06-28-2006 12:48 PM

Well .. I dunno about Bouillon ... I mean I love the guy , but for some reason I was never really sold on him

JordanStaal#1Fan 06-28-2006 12:50 PM

Bouillon is a great asset and I'd rather keep him. He is dedicated to the team, he hits hard and he doesn't make a lot of mistakes. He is a great 6th-7th d-man to have.

tritone 06-28-2006 02:00 PM

I think he's perfect for this team and he works well with the "new" rules.
I never understood why so many people are so hard on him , his size was never a factor when you compare his hits to those of Rivet and the like.
He's fast, mobile , great first pass, rarely makes mistakes in his own zone and doesn't cost much. Has great character , works hard. The only argument against him that had me worried last year was his consistency, I think after 2005-2006 he proved he can do the job all season.

For 1.5 million it's a steal.
I'd even go as far as a contract like :
1st yr - 1.2
2nd yr - 1.4
3rd yr -1.7
Option 4th

caper13 06-28-2006 02:10 PM

the guy has all heart and hits like a mack truck and is cheap and also is a pretty good d man i say sign him to long term these guys that have the habs logo tatoed on there *** is very rare. :handclap:

sXe 06-28-2006 02:20 PM

I'm not sure people are that hard on him. Dandenault , Souray and Rivet get as much bashing as Bouillon. Only difference is no one ever claimed Rivet was our best dman.

HCH 06-28-2006 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tritone
I never understood why so many people are so hard on him , his size was never a factor when you compare his hits to those of Rivet and the like.
He's fast, mobile , great first pass, rarely makes mistakes in his own zone and doesn't cost much. Has great character , works hard.

Weaknesses:
I'm not sold on his first pass... he carries the puck out of the zone well but his passing is suspect. He also tends to carry the puck into the opponent's end and then lose it... rather than setting up an offensive play. His creativity on the PP is non existent and his shot is rarely difficult to stop. In this day of more limited physical contact, the reach of defenseman becomes more important and unfortunately there is nothing he can do about that.

Strengths:
Very good skater, strong on his skates, delivers solid checks and is tougher to beat one on one than Souray or Rivet. He works hard, blocks shots and, as you said, has great character.

To me his upside is a #6 defenseman on a good team and a #4 defenseman on a weak team. If we can keep him and pay him as a #6 defenseman, I would vote to keep him and use are financial assets elsewhere.

Artyukhin* 06-28-2006 02:33 PM

i really want frank back but if it cant work out there are a pile of other name out there free agents that will take his place. come on frank get er done

Hal Gill, Danny Markov, Kim Johnsson, Teppo Numminen, Jaroslav Spacek, Niclas Wallin, Aaron Ward, Ruslan Salei, Brian Leetch, Brett Clark, Karlis Skrastins, Jason Woolley, Dick Tarnstrom, Joe Corvo, Filip Kuba, Daniel Tjarnqvist, Andrei Zyuzin, Ken Klee, Kenny Jonsson, Tom Poti, Jason Strudwick, Brian Pothier, Aki Berg, Alexander Khavanov, Mark Eaton, Luke Richardson, Nolan Baumgartner, Sean Brown, Keith Carney, Eric Weinrich.

Mont Royale 06-28-2006 03:23 PM

Along with his obvious capability on the ice, it's his work ethic and determination that really make this guy a keeper. As the article states, this inspires his teammates and potentially changes the momentum in a game. Not many players do that.

Joe Cole 06-28-2006 04:15 PM

What about Cote....

Not for nothing....but JP Cote was far from a disappointment in training camp (I saw a few scrimmages) or in the games when he was called up. What if the Habs target him instead of Frankie.

He is another francophone, so that replaces the need for "that" for those who need it... and we get much larger and just as tough on the blueline.

And he will cost a heck of a lot less then resigning Bouillion, or getting another free agent.

Just a thought.

deandebean 06-28-2006 04:19 PM

It is strange that on some hockey boards, some posters lambaste Bouillon. While the french mainstream media, and Joe Fan in general, love the guy because he shows heart and passion.

Personally, I could care less if he stays. But it is in the Habs' best interest to keep good players that DO want to stay.

J-D 06-28-2006 04:25 PM

Quote:

He's fast, mobile , great first pass, rarely makes mistakes in his own zone and doesn't cost much. Has great character , works hard. The only argument against him that had me worried last year was his consistency, I think after 2005-2006 he proved he can do the job all season.

You have pointed all his assets right except that he usually makes several mistakes in his own zone and they end up in good scoring chances . Especially during penalty kill.

sXe 06-28-2006 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deandebean
. But it is in the Habs' best interest to keep good players that DO want to stay.

Agreed. At a reasonnable cost I'm all for it.

If we pursue an UFA I would think shipping Souray out (since he may expect a bigger contract soon) would be an option if we want to shed salary on hje b.lue line. Not implying Souray doesn't want to stay but he will get a raise soon and if Bouillon is cheaper that's an option.

If not, I'm comfortable with the 6 d we have right now provided we get some help up front.

NewHabsEra* 06-28-2006 04:37 PM

Quote:

For 1.5 million it's a steal.
I'd even go as far as a contract like :
1st yr - 1.2
2nd yr - 1.4
3rd yr -1.7
Option 4th

My thought exactly..

tritone 06-28-2006 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J-D
You have pointed all his assets right except that he usually makes several mistakes in his own zone and they end up in good scoring chances . Especially during penalty kill.

I disagree. Honestly, of all the D-men on the habs I see Bouillon as being one of the least proned to making bad decisions in the zone.
As for penalty kill, if we relegate him to a 6th d-man role he really shouldn't be on the kill to begin with , nor should we see him on the PP ( for another poster who mentioned his lack of offensive )

sXe 06-28-2006 05:52 PM

Quote:

I disagree. Honestly, of all the D-men on the habs I see Bouillon as being one of the least proned to making bad decisions in the zone.

That's one of the reasons someone always end up bashing Bouillon. You're labeling him our most reliable dman when Markov is head and shoulders (no pun intended) above everyone of our dman in every area conceivable (ok , except hits wich the NHL doesn't have as an official stats anymore because of the discrepancies between arenas. )

Rivet had one is best year as a Hab and even with his limited skillset has been very reliable for the whole year.

I could go on but as soon as I point out that Francis doesn't belong at the top of any list concernining our defence I'm bashing him. It's the nature of the beast that I may put him down inavertedly for the simple fact that I'm putting someone else up.

So every discussion invariably goes: Bouillon is the best, no he's not, but he has heart, that don't win games , why do you hate him, I don't , you say he's not good, no I say not as good as you say is all, you hate the french, I hate you too, the end.

Let's just skip it and agree to disagree.

tritone 06-28-2006 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sXe
That's one of the reasons someone always end up bashing Bouillon. You're labeling him our most reliable dman when Markov is head and shoulders (no pun intended) above everyone of our dman in every area conceivable (ok , except hits wich the NHL doesn't have as an official stats anymore because of the discrepancies between arenas. )

Rivet had one is best year as a Hab and even with his limited skillset has been very reliable for the whole year.

I could go on but as soon as I point out that Francis doesn't belong at the top of any list concernining our defence I'm bashing him. It's the nature of the beast that I may put him down inavertedly for the simple fact that I'm putting someone else up.

So every discussion invariably goes: Bouillon is the best, no he's not, but he has heart, that don't win games , why do you hate him, I don't , you say he's not good, no I say not as good as you say is all, you hate the french, I hate you too, the end.

Let's just skip it and agree to disagree.

I agree with everything you've just said really. I think some people tend to overevaluate him based on his heart and others tend to underestimate him because of his size....

All I'm saying is , 1.2-1.7 is not so bad for a no#5-6 d-man who really wants to play for this team

habsfan92 06-28-2006 09:28 PM

$650-750K tops. For anything over $1 mill I would look for someone who is more capable and has some upside. No offence, average defence, can't clear the front of the net, won't win battles along the boards. Good skater that can't generate offence. No shot.
Bouillion is not good enough at anything to warrant more than $1 mill. I would rather BG get another d-man and give what minutes are left to Streit, who doesn't look lost on the pp and played strong down the stretch in Bouillion's absence.

Ghostki 06-29-2006 08:22 AM

Just wanted to add that in a lot of cases...heart does win games. Oilers?

Kafka 06-29-2006 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by habsfan92
$650-750K tops. For anything over $1 mill I would look for someone who is more capable and has some upside. No offence, average defence, can't clear the front of the net, won't win battles along the boards. Good skater that can't generate offence. No shot.

You probably mixed Bouillon with an other D on the Habs roster, but what you just wrote doesn't apply. Without getting has much time has Markov, Rivet, Souray and Dandenault on the PP, he managed to get more points per game than Dandenault.

Anyway, comments like this one just prove to me that some Habs fans really need to be teached. If Montreal leads 2-1 in the 7th game of a Stanley Cup with one minute left, do you really think Markov or Souray would be the left D-man on the ice?

Teufelsdreck 06-29-2006 09:04 AM

Is Bouillon good at guarding the puck in his own end? I don't think so. Komisarek used to be the worst, but he's improving.

ludger 06-29-2006 09:09 AM

if Boullon is 6th or 7th on the depth chart, what happens if Gainey obtains a ufa defenceman? This would leave the habs with a well paid player and no place to play him. Maybe this is why Gainey is not meeting Boullions demands

Montrealer 06-29-2006 09:29 AM

I like Bouillon's heart, but I think a lot of you look at his play through rose-coloured glasses... and that the criticism would come fast and loose next year if he were in a Habs uniform making $1.5m per year.

habfan4 06-29-2006 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kafka
...Anyway, comments like this one just prove to me that some Habs fans really need to be teached. If Montreal leads 2-1 in the 7th game of a Stanley Cup with one minute left, do you really think Markov or Souray would be the left D-man on the ice?

Speaking of needing to be schooled.

Markov would be the leading candidate to be on the ice in the final minute of an important game, he controls the puck well, and is very strong on one on one situations.

Kafka 06-29-2006 11:04 AM

For one minute, two D would probably be used..... my point was that Bouillon was far more reliable than Souray.