HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Why should Jason Arnott come to Montreal? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=264225)

tinyzombies 06-28-2006 06:07 PM

Why should Jason Arnott come to Montreal?

List the reasons.

Fido22 06-28-2006 06:11 PM

He loves Bob Gainey and Guy Carbonneau. :dunno:

Artyukhin* 06-28-2006 06:12 PM

0 reasons other than he played for carbo and bob in the past
is that enuff to make him come here? im not sure it is .

honestly arrnot at 5 million is crazy for us . just take a flyer on Roenick for 1.5 million with bonus clauses and keep the money to spend on other players

Guy Caballero 06-28-2006 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doug mckenzie
just take a flyer on Roenick for 1.5 million with bonus clauses and keep the money to spend on other players

That approach is a little too Leaf-esque for my liking. I remember Leaf fans bragging last year, "We got Lindros, Allison, and O'Neill for what you're paying for Kovalev. That's good GM-ing." Look where that philosophy got them.

I'd rather spend 5 mil on one star player in his prime than 5 million for an assortment of has-beens and never-were's.

Cariboux 06-28-2006 06:22 PM

Yeah, but Arnott is far from being a star, except if you're talking about the name of his team :biglaugh:

sXe 06-28-2006 06:23 PM

There can only be two reasons. Love or money. Problem with love is that you can still buy it so money always win.

Montreal has been an horrible dfestination for UFAs for so long that it's hard to regain a good status around the league. Look at EDM , they had to trade for Pronger because no UFAs wanted to come and now he also wants to leave. It could have happened here also.

Really , the only way to get UFAs is to sign good players so the UFA in question doesn't have all the pressure and he isn't alone to carry the team. Not many UFAs want to go to a rebuilding team and you have to convince them you are on the cusp of contending. Kovalev took a big gamble because if we lost Koivu he would have been the sole established NHL player we have in the top 6.

No real reasons why any player should come to Montreal. These guys live and breath hockey they don't care about the quality of the fans or wether they like hockey or not, they don't need to be in an hockey environnement 24/7 and might actually enjoy taking a break from it, wich can't happen in Montreal.

BG is changing our image slowly, but it will be a little while yet before we get a strong core and can entice UFAs to join us.

Did I mentoin taxes? That's another factor that means we have to overpay the overpayment we have to offer to get any player.

beowulf 06-28-2006 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doug mckenzie
0 reasons other than he played for carbo and bob in the past
is that enuff to make him come here? im not sure it is .

honestly arrnot at 5 million is crazy for us . just take a flyer on Roenick for 1.5 million with bonus clauses and keep the money to spend on other players

I agree with most of your post but I am still not sold on Roenick. Also I was under the impression their where not more bonuses.

BLONG7 06-28-2006 06:31 PM

BG and Carbo bring alot of credibility to the organization, so if they tell him, we are trying to build a cup contending team, and that he (Arnott) will be an important part of that build...then he will want to come...The Stanley Cup should be the only reason anyone should come to Montreal... :yo: :handclap:

Guy Caballero 06-28-2006 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cariboux
Yeah, but Arnott is far from being a star, except if you're talking about the name of his team :biglaugh:

I'm not saying Arnott is necessarily the guy to get, but we do need an impact player, someone to line up with Kovalev.

However, if Arnott showed the same touch around the net next year, he'd put up big numbers with Kovalev, who's a pretty good playmaker. He'd also make our PP much more potent, providing that big presence in front of the net we've needed for so long. He'd be worth 5 mil.

I think a Latendresse - Arnott - Kovalev line could be devastating if it clicked. (Of course, it could be maddeningly frustrating if it didn't, as all three players have a low gear too.)

Cariboux 06-28-2006 06:35 PM

If they want to sign Arnott, I hope it will not be a long term deal because I'm sure this guy can be a huge deception.

sXe 06-28-2006 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beowulf
I agree with most of your post but I am still not sold on Roenick. Also I was under the impression their where not more bonuses.

You can have bonuses if you sign a one-year contract over the age of 35.

Whitesnake 06-28-2006 06:37 PM

Well if you want to get rid of Ribeiro, who else then? It's not like there's tons of other choices out there. And personally I don't want Ribs. If we put our money elsewhere, I prefer giving Pleks all the chance in the world centering the 2nd line.

beowulf 06-28-2006 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sXe
You can have bonuses if you sign a one-year contract over the age of 35.

Cool thanks for clearing that up. I guess the other case are for those players deemed injured a certain number of games for a few years or something.

tinyzombies 06-28-2006 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guy Caballero
I'm not saying Arnott is necessarily the guy to get, but we do need an impact player, someone to line up with Kovalev.

However, if Arnott showed the same touch around the net next year, he'd put up big numbers with Kovalev, who's a pretty good playmaker. He'd also make our PP much more potent, providing that big presence in front of the net we've needed for so long. He'd be worth 5 mil.

I think a Latendresse - Arnott - Kovalev line could be devastating if it clicked. (Of course, it could be maddeningly frustrating if it didn't, as all three players have a low gear too.)

Latendresse plays left wing?

Anyway, I conducted a thorough scientific research (Google) and found that the only large top 6 players available via free agency are: Arnott, Elias, Langenbrunner and maybe Cullen.

There's also Shanny, Lindros, Allison, Kvasha, Kozlov, but they are old or suck.

I think the only way to get Arnott here is to overpay AND to also sign Elias and overpay.

Get them both as a package. Sykora is also available btw.

Otherwise, Arnott could probably get his money anywhere he wants since he's really the only LARGE forward in the entire UFA class. Why would a player who has already won the Cup leave Dallas where he is anonymous (which he seems to like) and come to hockey-mad Montreal on a team that is a peripheral contender at best?

beowulf 06-28-2006 06:40 PM

Wow had not heard the Latendresse name in a while and here it is again.....he is not making the team.

toshiro 06-28-2006 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raketheleaves
Latendresse plays left wing?

Anyway, I conducted a thorough scientific research (Google) and found that the only large top 6 players available via free agency are: Arnott, Elias, Langenbrunner and maybe Cullen.

There's also Shanny, Lindros, Allison, Kvasha, Kozlov, but they are old or suck.

I think the only way to get Arnott here is to overpay AND to also sign Elias and overpay.

Get them both as a package. Sykora is also available btw.

Otherwise, Arnott could probably get his money anywhere he wants since he's really the only LARGE forward in the entire UFA class. Why would a player who has already won the Cup leave Dallas where he is anonymous (which he seems to like) and come to hockey-mad Montreal on a team that is a peripheral contender at best?

Is Dallas a Contender? Some players are men who want to step up. If he wants to hide we dont want him. No girls on this team.

sXe 06-28-2006 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beowulf
Cool thanks for clearing that up. I guess the other case are for those players deemed injured a certain number of games for a few years or something.

You guessed right.

Habsy 06-28-2006 07:30 PM

Reasons?

$$$$$$$

All-Star 06-28-2006 07:45 PM

The highest strip club to hockey player ratio on the planet?

SpreeEndaz 06-28-2006 08:21 PM

We have poutines, lot of poutines.

tinyzombies 06-28-2006 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpreeEndaz
We have poutines, lot of poutines.

I think we have the winning answer.

SOLR 06-28-2006 08:56 PM

Cute foxy ladies! What else! :handclap:

Astaroth 06-28-2006 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guy Caballero
That approach is a little too Leaf-esque for my liking. I remember Leaf fans bragging last year, "We got Lindros, Allison, and O'Neill for what you're paying for Kovalev. That's good GM-ing." Look where that philosophy got them.

I'd rather spend 5 mil on one star player in his prime than 5 million for an assortment of has-beens and never-were's.

Well we're not that different from the Leafs except for two things;
1)We fired Julien so our youngsters got the time. They didn't and Quinn didn't let Stajan and the others do their thing when they were clearly more effective than the veterans.
2)We had the miracle that was Huet. They suffered through Belfour like we did through Theo except they didn't have a backup that became a starter.

Their experience worked relatively well as expected. Lindros played well when he did. O'neill was eh and Allison was decent.

Talent Analyst 06-28-2006 11:34 PM

Because we like to bash lazy player and with Bulis and Zednik (?) out ... we need other to bash

Marksman 06-29-2006 08:22 AM

Why should Arnott want to come to Montreal:

Knows and respects Gainey/Carbo?

Back in Canada?

Chance to have some be surrounded great young wingers and/or Kovalev?

Become a part of NE rivalries to make playing more interesting again?

Chance to become first line center very soon - depending what happens to Koivu?

Habs (might) want him because:

We need alternative veteran centerman, capable of top line duty, who can step up if Koivu gets hurt missing at critical time.

More size balance to the center allows us us to play quick lightweight wingers (Perezhogin, Kostitsyn bros - Grabovsky).

Hes that right stick faceoffman they have talked for ages now.

---

All that said I have my doubts him ending up here. I would be surprised to see him get more than $4M Kovalev gets - more than Koivu money would certainly upset our payroll scheme. Its a big test for Gainey's negotiation skills.