HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Q&A with Mathieu Carle (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=264266)

habsprospects 06-28-2006 07:16 PM

Q&A with Mathieu Carle

http://hockeysfuture.com/article.php...readed&order=0

Live Forever 06-28-2006 07:18 PM

Quote:

Like most Quebeckers, Mathieu Carle grew up watching and cheering for the Montreal Canadiens.
how did they screw that one up?

Dr_Hook 06-28-2006 10:50 PM

From the article : He possesses solid skating and very strong puckhandling skills that enable him to carry the puck out of his own zone a great deal. Carle痴 defensive play suffered at times during the season as he focused too much on contributing to the attack,but he has shown a sporadic willingness to play tough in his own zone and sacrifice his body by blocking shots.

Carle's quote: I知 an offensive type; I like to pass the puck. I have a good first pass, and I like to see the play. I know how to find guys. I like to control the power play. I知 not dominant in the defensive zone, but I知 not a high-risk d-man. I can take care of myself defensively.

Is it just me or does this guy sound like the perfect successor to Breeze-by :(

JordanStaal#1Fan 06-28-2006 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr_Hook
From the article : He possesses solid skating and very strong puckhandling skills that enable him to carry the puck out of his own zone a great deal. Carle痴 defensive play suffered at times during the season as he focused too much on contributing to the attack,but he has shown a sporadic willingness to play tough in his own zone and sacrifice his body by blocking shots.

Carle's quote: I知 an offensive type; I like to pass the puck. I have a good first pass, and I like to see the play. I know how to find guys. I like to control the power play. I知 not dominant in the defensive zone, but I知 not a high-risk d-man. I can take care of myself defensively.

Brisebois was far from being awful. He has been a good d-man for us for more than a decade. People underrated him because the media were all over him for nothing. Sure, he wasn't a #1 defender and made mistake at-times, but he was an excellent #2-#3 d-man. He was used like a 1st d-man for years so people hated the fact that he didn't played like one. If Carle can play like Brisebois did his entire carreer, I'll be glad that we drafted him.

NewHabsEra* 06-28-2006 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanyHeatley#1Fan
Brisebois was far from being awful. He has been a good d-man for us for more than a decade. People underrated him because the media were all over him for nothing. Sure, he wasn't a #1 defender and made mistake at-times, but he was an excellent #2-#3 d-man. He was used like a 1st d-man for years so people hated the fact that he didn't played like one. If Carle can play like Brisebois did his entire carreer, I'll be glad that we drafted him.

False, the main reason why Brisebois was booed is because he wasnt playing the game with intensity, was cheating most of the nights to avoid physical contacts and was doing dump mistakes that let me think he hadnt the head to play hockey.. People that know the game a bit were seeing that obvious lazzyness and thats the main reason why Brisebois started to be booed... Was booed way before Savard give him the famous big contract.. He had his best season the last year he played for us, Gainey told him to bulk up the summer before so that he comes at camp in good shape and ready to pay the price and win his battles along the board... I rarely criticized Brisebois during his last season as a Habs, he was playing solid for the most part outside in playoffs where we all seen the good old Brisebois back with his usual braincramps.. Was looking effraid against the big bad Bruins. Colorado fans obviously didnt like what they seen from Brisebois in the last Playoffs as well.. I just think this game bacame a hard difficult work for Brisebois through the years...

Freaky Habs Fan 06-29-2006 09:33 AM

DanyHeatley#1Fan argument + NewHabsArea argument = real answer!

It's really a mix of the two main argument...and IMO, if Brisebois would have been the #3 in Montreal, people would have liked to keep him. If Carle can become something close from Brisebois, it will be great!

Whitesnake 06-29-2006 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr_Hook

On the joke side of it, he can't be compared to Brisebois since he said himself that he's not '' a high-risk d-man''..... ;)

On the serious side of it, I didn't like Brisebois but true that sometimes you don't like a player for more than what he really gives you on the ice. Brisebois wasn't liked for his unwillingness to play the body, for his bonehead mistakes, who unfortunately seemed to always cost us a goal and for the salary he got. Brisebois wasn't that bad, Theo wasn't that bad and boom! a higher salary and then they become really really bad (though Theo was somewhat awful at one point....) It's always a question of the return on investment and in both cases, we didn't have a great return.

Anyway, the good news is Carle looks like Breezer in his description but is only 18 year old and still has a lot of progression to be done for him. Tons could happen in 4 years, and he'll be willing to address it. I'm still not too sure about the pick but you can't teach the good that he already has which is passing skills, skating skills, PP skils and hockey sense.

Personally I see some glimpses of Breezer in his play but more glimpses of Michael Sersen as well, another player I don,t like very much. But it's all about progression and development and we'll see in a couple of years.

Dr_Hook 06-29-2006 01:14 PM

I think Breezer was awful as a #1 d-man and is an inadequate #2 or #3 . His play was inconsistant, erratic (even more so in clutch situations !), his attitude and intangibles were just terrible and very detrimental to the team; if Carle is to become Breezer jr, that's a terrible pick. :shakehead

What worries me the most from that read is the unwillingness to play tough and sacrifice his body. I mean if a guy who's 205 is unwilling to show a little toughness in junior, how is he gonna fare in the NHL, where guys will be bigger, stronger and meaner :dunno: That's troubling to me. You can always learn to play better, but the will to win, the desire, the committment, can you acquire that in time ???

Anksun 06-29-2006 04:11 PM

I understand all the bad press Brisebois ultimately got.

But come on, the guy wasnt a bad player from day one...

15 years in the league, 380 points.

If Carle does something remotely close to that while been "average" in his own zone, getting him at 53th in the 2nd round would be a huge steal...

BORAT 06-29-2006 04:16 PM

Carle has a DEADLY and I do say DEADLY first pass, Timmins and alot of other scouts did say he is right behind Johnson in that respect.

I think that it is HELL being a D in the LHJMQ

amazing goalies and high scoring forwards is their thing, Defenceman are just expected to be pylons.

Toro 06-29-2006 11:57 PM

I'm not sure about Carle, not many Defenceman out of the Q

but he does have good upside.

And I don't believe Briesebois was as big as Carle at 18.

CaRLE IS OVER 200lbs

Brees was nowhere near that