HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Anyone want Comrie now? :) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=26439)

Digger12 11-08-2003 12:11 AM

Anyone want Comrie now? :)

http://www.canoe.ca/EdmontonSports/e...1-08-0078.html

Does Comrie become any more palatable here now that he's offering to sign for LESS than his qualifying offer in order to facilitate a trade?

According to this, Clarke's supposedly offered Handzus and 'another player' for Comrie. This is crazy talk! I like it, but it's no less crazy.

As much as I'd love to see Handzus as an Oiler, I just can't understand Clarke's reasoning on this IF this is true...could be hot air of course.

Thoughts?

Rex8 11-08-2003 02:25 AM

I just do not believe that Clarke would through that out there - I think Handzus has enough market value to land Comrie by himself if truely desired and why move a big two way center at this time. Comrie will likely struggle as all guys seem to coming off a lay-off, not to mention in picking up the Hitch system.
Just do not see the reasoning right now, but stranger things have happened.

blah 11-08-2003 04:46 AM

That'd be a horrible trade for the Flyers. Even Handzus for Comrie+ would be a horrible trade for the Flyers.

SouthFlyer82 11-08-2003 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blah
That'd be a horrible trade for the Flyers. Even Handzus for Comrie+ would be a horrible trade for the Flyers.

No it wouldn't IMO. Handzus and Woywitka would be abd, but Handzus and Seidenberg I would think about. The only problem I have is the size, but Comrie is just as good right now and has a much higher upside. Right now Comrie is a good number 2 center with the talented to become a top of the league player, Handzus is about as far as hes going to go and is 4 years older. I love Handzus play and would hate to see him go but you have to give to get.

blah 11-08-2003 06:30 AM

Comrie may have more talent but I'd rather have Handzus in the middle of LeClair-Williams. With the other supposed offers for Comrie Handzus looks like an overpayment.

SouthFlyer82 11-08-2003 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blah
Comrie may have more talent but I'd rather have Handzus in the middle of LeClair-Williams. With the other supposed offers for Comrie Handzus looks like an overpayment.

You have to longer at more than just this year. Most people don't think this team is going to win the Cup this year anyway.

blah 11-08-2003 06:41 AM

I think they can and would have a much better chance w/ Handzus.

Plus they just drafted 2 centers and Gagne and Chouinard were both centers the Flyers are fine down the middle.

SaveByHexy 11-08-2003 06:46 AM

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Handzus has been one of our best and most consistent players. He is on a roll, and is a part of the reason we have been so good in this early part of the season. Why trade him for a guy who hasn't even played a game this season? And why would we want to shake things up when this team finally seems to have some "chemistry" (everyone's favorite word).

I'm happy with keeping the status quo...

Unless it's another d-man or a number one goalie, of course.

Gags1288 11-08-2003 07:12 AM

I think the real question in acquiring Comrie would be whether or not you think Handzus is fast enough to be as effective against jersey and ottawa as he is against everyone else. Comrie's speed would certainly help in neutralizing Ottawa and he'd be just one more option, possibly a slightly better offensive option than Zus. I don't think I'd be in favor of the trade, but I keep changing my mind based on Comrie's speed and talent. However, I too wouldn't give up Woywitka in addition to Handzus, I'd much prefer to deal Vandermeer.

panayiotis 11-08-2003 08:23 AM

New Jersey

The Devils look like the best fit. Handzus is playing great. He basicly plays like Roenick without the edge. The flyers have a good balance up the middle and 2 kids in the chl. All is well at center. Clarke does not like small centers with no bite. You have not figured that out you are not a flyers fan.

RoDu 11-08-2003 09:43 AM

you want Gagne for him, especially if he did tweak his knee again

Winston Wolf 11-08-2003 01:12 PM

According to a Rob Parent article in the Daily Times:

"By the way...: Flyers are being prominently mentioned as courting Edmonton for their very available, contractually challenged center Mike Comrie. He’d be a nice fit here as a checking line guy with a scoring touch, and would probably only cost a defenseman like Jim Vandermeer or Chris Therien and a draft pick. Not sure if there’s any reason interest, though, and several teams are talking about Comrie ..."
:shakehead
Hey, if he'd only cost Therien or Vandermeer and a pick, I'm all for it! ;)

FacelessButcher 11-08-2003 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyers guy

"By the way...: Flyers are being prominently mentioned as courting Edmonton for their very available, contractually challenged center Mike Comrie. He’d be a nice fit here as a checking line guy with a scoring touch, and would probably only cost a defenseman like Jim Vandermeer or Chris Therien and a draft pick. Not sure if there’s any reason interest, though, and several teams are talking about Comrie ..."

Could you link me the article of that I want to read some of this guys justification for that.

Winston Wolf 11-08-2003 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FacelessButcher
Could you link me the article of that I want to read some of this guys justification for that.

That's all he says about Comrie in the article, but I doubt he even knows who he is condsidering he thinks he'd be a good checking- line center with a scoring touch.
Anyways it's near the bottom.
Daily Times article

Watts02 11-08-2003 01:32 PM

Quote:

That's all he says about Comrie in the article, but I doubt he even knows who he is condsidering he thinks he'd be a good checking- line center with a scoring touch.
Anyways it's near the bottom.
Daily Times article

I am a Flyer fan in edmonton, but I love my oilers as well, and the last thing I want is to see MIke Commie in Philly. There is no question about his skill. He has skills that would rival the best players on most teams, including Philly. But and it is a huge but the kid is too small for the game the Flyers play, and even more damaging is the fact that he would be your worst +- player on your roster. He is Horrible in the defensive zone. Therefore I cant see hitch wanting him on the ice. And Clark had a hell of a time with eric and his being a baby so why would he bring in a mini eric. Commrie will get you goals (not important one) but when push comes to shove he gets shoved all over the ice. See Oil vs Dallas playoff series 03` He vanished. No use to My Flyers in the playoffs.

Winston Wolf 11-08-2003 01:52 PM

Watts02, I definitely agree with you. All the talk about trading Handzus+ would just weaken the Flyers, but if we could get him for fairly cheap then I would do it in a second (not saying we could). If we could trade Vandermeer, 2004 1st, and somebody like Patrick Sharp then I would be for it, but I'm not in favor of trading for Comrie if we have to give up one of our core players.

IronMarshal 11-08-2003 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amonte11Scores
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Handzus has been one of our best and most consistent players. He is on a roll, and is a part of the reason we have been so good in this early part of the season. Why trade him for a guy who hasn't even played a game this season? And why would we want to shake things up when this team finally seems to have some "chemistry" (everyone's favorite word).

I'm happy with keeping the status quo...

Unless it's another d-man or a number one goalie, of course.

Yeah, There is that, and whta seems like everytime we get a scorer from somewhere, they forget how to score.
Let's keep Zeus.

blah 11-08-2003 03:16 PM

Quote:

Don't read the sports pages for reasons like this. My proposal was Chouinard-Fedoruk-Vandermeer for Comrie and I was half kidding. Therien for Comrie is just stupid. Comrie on a checking line? How did anybody let this article go to print?

PF 11-09-2003 12:05 AM

We already have 2 centers who could be comries or better (or worse, but whatever) waiting in the juniors, why trade a player we need now for a guy who has better upside for the future when we have those players with the same sort of upside for later already.

If you see what I mean.

Cross Out The Eyes* 11-09-2003 09:03 AM

First of all, money isn't the important factor. Comrie just wants out of Edmonton. It says in the artilce he would take LESS than the qualifying offer of 1.3 million at this point to get out of Edmonton.

Secondly, how would this be a Clarke panic move. This is a great chance for Clarke to make the team better.

Handzus is a very solid player. He is however, a great third liner, playing out of place on the second line. His offensive and skill has limitations, and there is no upside. His lack of speed is also very evident against the likes of Jersey and Ottawa. At this point it's all about doing what we can to beat those two teams.

In Comrie you have a guy with world class speed and skill. You also have a legit skilled second line center, with potential to be a first line center. Comrie is also like 4 years younger than Handzus.

If we had a second line of Gagne/LeClair, Comrie, and Williams, other teams would have to pay more attention to them, and this take pressure off the top line.

Something else people fail to mention is this. Scoring 5 goals against lousy teams is great. Against the Devils and Rangers we have 4 goals in two games. We still need more speed and offense if we are going to knock off Jersey or Ottawa.

I think this is a great chance to get a 23 year old speedy second line center, who has upside to be a number one. I realize he's small and and a defensive liabillity, but with this team the trade off for his speed and offensive is well worth it.

Handzus and Woywitka might be too much. I'd consider it though. Handzus and Seidenberg I would do. Handzus straight, anyone would be crazy not to take that offer.

We'll see what happens, but I think under the circumstances Lowe is dealing with, this is a golden chance for someone to get a very talented young player at a decent price. Hopefully Clarke can seize this and get him.

FAR too many rumors coming from different places to think that Clarke isn't trying to get him though, and it certainly wouldn't be a panic move. Also, I don't care how good we are playing, if you have a chance to upgrade your team, and add something you need to help you get to the level of your main competition, you have to go for it.

FlyersGuy69 11-09-2003 09:40 AM

well, I agree with everything that COTE posted, you just can't turn down an opportunity to get a player like this. Comrie is better than Handzus and in most cases, if you get the best guy in the trade, you usually win the trade.

Comrie would also benefit by coming to a stronger team with more overall talent to play with. as far as his defensive play or lack there of, you can teach defense but you can't teach skill, speed and scoring. which Comrie posses.

I would try to involve Siedenberg in any deal being that we don't have the room for him to play and that Woywitka has also past him as the next guy to play.

Dr Love 11-09-2003 10:25 AM

I would trade for Comrie, but I wouldn't give up Handzus. What if Primeau isn't resigned? That would leave the Flyers awfully small down the middle, and that is a problem in Hitchcock's scheme. Personally, I'd rather center the deal around Gagne, whom I'm really falling out of favor with, if Comrie can play wing. Obviously it would have to be a multi-player deal.

stanley 11-09-2003 05:17 PM

I think there's plenty to work with in the Comrie-to-Philly rumors. However, I believe Handzus is a guy the organization has no interest in moving. Comrie is certainly the more talented player, but Handzus does so many things well that I wouldn't argue with anybody who claimed he was their most valuable player. If I'm Clarke, I wouldn't even consider Handzus as trade fodder.

The Flyers do have plenty of young players and good prospects who they could move, and it won't make them a poorer team this year.

BrindA17 11-09-2003 08:22 PM

This situation has a strong resemblance to the Brind'Amour for Primeau deal, if you ask me. A fan favorite is playing well, but Clarke makes the deal to "better" the team (and don't give me that "Rod was injured" crap. He's rarely hurt and he came back and played well). Regardless of the circumstances, an upgrade is an upgrade. (Though in in that particular deal, the Flyers were better for what, a year?) Anyway, I think Clarke would do this deal, based on the posibility of Comrie flourishing.

Teezax 11-10-2003 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Love
Personally, I'd rather center the deal around Gagne, whom I'm really falling out of favor with,

Unfortunately I am as well, it's sad that the guy cannot go five games without getting injured. He belongs in the WEST where does less obstruction and hooking