HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Bouillon- hard to get? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=264802)

Canadian_Brewtality 06-30-2006 06:48 AM

Bouillon- hard to get?

According to Hickey's article in teh gazette this morning Bouillon is looking for Dandy money. Near 1.7 mil a year.

If i were him, i would too. He was more soild than him most of the year, played longer minutes and had a better physical game. But do we have the money to pay a 5th d-man almost 2 mil and let a top 4 d-man ellude us via free agency?

Tough decisions in the next 24 hours.

I would sign Bouillon 2 years at 2.6-2.8
If Begin deserves a million plus, so does he.

Capitano 06-30-2006 06:52 AM

I say let him walk for that money.

Cap

Freaky Habs Fan 06-30-2006 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capitano
I say let him walk for that money.

Cap

Yeah well if Gainey wants to get a defenceman via free agent, sure...but if not, we should sign him nomather what and let Rivet go next year...

Remember when 3 of our defenceman were injured...our defence wasn't looking too good! We need depht and right now, we don't really have it.

goalchenyuk 06-30-2006 06:59 AM

let him go and play Coté

Whitesnake 06-30-2006 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark0v
let him go and play Coté

That's my reaction as well. Again some of our favorite ''journalists'' bashing the Habs 'cause it seems to be always difficult with the Québécois. Well, maybe it's the Québécois who, knowing what they represent for the fans and for the medias, ask a little more than they would get elsewhere and then makes it impossible to sign. Business is business, Bouillon has the right to do whatever he wants, just sad that he doesn't remember what happened when he went to Nashville but then we were nice enough to pick him up again. But since when, feeling has anything to do with that, he feels he's a top 4 and wants to be paid accordingly. I don't agree, in no shape or form this guy should get more than 1.2 per year.

I believe Bouillon is a good d-man. But I also believe that keeping him and keeping the same core as far as d-men are concerned would've make us an average to good d-men. In order to progress, guys like him are not necessarily needed. Same thing applies for Dandy even though some of you don't agree about it.

Qui Gon Dave 06-30-2006 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan
Yeah well if Gainey wants to get a defenceman via free agent, sure...but if not, we should sign him nomather what and let Rivet go next year...

Remember when 3 of our defenceman were injured...our defence wasn't looking too good! We need depht and right now, we don't really have it.

The depth in case of injuries we'd need would surely come from the farm system though? The D, when healthy would be Markov, Souray, Komi, Rivet, Dandy, Bouillon and Streit. We lose three of the those guys and it's not like we can just plug in some reserve NHL Dmen. And it's not like we can sign, lets say Mckee or Kubina and just send some of the current guys to the AHL, if we want better depth, we need it through the organisation, not just the NHL. Unless we convert some forwards, but i wont go into that. As it stands, we have Cote and thats about it.

I'd be tempted to go as high as a 2 year, $2.6m offer for Bouillon and if he doesn't bite, start waving some of that cash in front of some UFAs. Some people think that even Dandy doesn't deserve that money, but they forget he didn't have a great season last year and can play better (points wise though, he somehow ended up somewhere near his best ever). I think although they bring speed, decent physical ability and similar points scoring, Dandenault brings more versatility plus experience of what it takes to win, therefore, I think he deserves more than Bouillon.

Artie 06-30-2006 07:18 AM

What are the chances that he may prefer to play with one of Vigneault, Therrien or Julien?

I can't remember, but did he have a strong relationship with any of the above?

Francis Gagnon last night was speculating he may be waiting to speak with Pittsburgh.

habsforlife 06-30-2006 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Artie
What are the chances that he may prefer to play with one of Vigneault, Therrien or Julien?

I can't remember, but did he have a strong relationship with any of the above?

Francis Gagnon last night was speculating he may be waiting to speak with Pittsburgh.

bouillon won a memorial cup with therrien as the coach. and was with him again with habs.

Fozz 06-30-2006 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark0v
let him go and play Coté

I though the goal was to have the best possible team on the ice? Do you really think Coté can bring as much as Bouillon? Don't you want this team to make the playoffs? :shakehead

We have to sign Bouillon to at least a 2 year deal since we stand a chance of loosing all of Markov, Souray and Rivet to free agency next year.

Whitesnake 06-30-2006 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fozz
I though the goal was to have the best possible team on the ice? Do you really think Coté can bring as much as Bouillon? :shakehead

Well immediately at the beginning maybe not. But we had the pleasure with Coté's short stint, to see that Komi played along him, his best hockey as well. So not only you get a good player, Coté will do the job, but you have a Komi who seems more at ease with him as well.

And don't forget that now it's not who's better but about the return on investment. Based on what you said, you would then be willing to give him 1.7 to 2 millions a year if those numbers are correct??? I wouldn't. But anyway, if we lose Bouillon, Bob will go in the UFA market to get something better. So I believe that guy will bring more than the Cube.

IcE ColD 06-30-2006 07:27 AM

I don't see Bouillon getting as much money as Dandy. I really like the cube, but I wouldn't give him more that 1.2M$ a year.

This being, I'm no BG, so we'll see.

kostybros 06-30-2006 07:30 AM

I think côté can bring as much as bouillon by the end of the year, of course he doesn't have as much expenrience and you can't buy that but côté is miles ahead of where bouillon was at 23 y/o.
at 1,2 or 1,4, let's sign bouillon but if he wants 1,7 or more, give 500K to côté and he's gonna be reliable on defence and he brings just a litle offence, just like bouillon.
côté is the most underrated prospect of this team, he just doesn't get any respect.
bouillon is didn't get his first shot at the nhl until he was like 27 or 28, and now he is a star because he hits and play safe in defense what côté can do at 6'3 215(probably moere 220 now).

znk 06-30-2006 07:36 AM

I think that's too much. I like Franky but....maybe some free agent D would be better for us.

ti-vite 06-30-2006 07:38 AM

Send him back to Nashville...

beowulf 06-30-2006 07:45 AM

Hard choice indeed. I guess I would let him walk and see if someone else signs him for that. If nobody does he might come back for a little less.

superstar436 06-30-2006 07:49 AM

Bouillon VS strait

I Don't get this.

We jump on Strait and give him a 4M $ / 2 year contract when he has not proved a single thing. If I am not mistaken he did not played in palyoffs.

plays really well and has proved himself to be more useful for us over the years and we don't wanna give him 1.5.

I don't understand

Fozz 06-30-2006 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whitesnake
Well immediately at the beginning maybe not. But we had the pleasure with Coté's short stint, to see that Komi played along him, his best hockey as well. So not only you get a good player, Coté will do the job, but you have a Komi who seems more at ease with him as well.

And don't forget that now it's not who's better but about the return on investment. Based on what you said, you would then be willing to give him 1.7 to 2 millions a year if those numbers are correct??? I wouldn't. But anyway, if we lose Bouillon, Bob will go in the UFA market to get something better. So I believe that guy will bring more than the Cube.

I don't care how much Bouillon makes. As long as the team fits under the cap, it's irrelevant! If Gainey and, more importantly, Gillett want to give him 2.5M a year, it's because they feel he deserves that much and they pay him, not me.

When I watch a game, I never think about a player's salary. I just sit back and enjoy.

Weis 06-30-2006 08:14 AM

looks like they are close to a deal now.
http://www.cyberpresse.ca/article/20...006/CPSPORTS01

le DG du Tricolore a mentionné qu'il n'embaucherait pas de défenseur s'il parvenait à s'entendre avec Francis Bouillon, et il semble que les deux parties ne soient pas trop loin d'une bonne poignée de mains. « Il reste seulement deux jours avant l'ouverture du marché, mais on se parle et je suis confiant, a mentionné Bouillon, hier. J'ai toujours répété que je voulais absolument rester à Montréal et je suis optimiste. »

Whitesnake 06-30-2006 08:18 AM

Quote:

I don't care how much Bouillon makes. As long as the team fits under the cap, it's irrelevant! If Gainey and, more importantly, Gillett want to give him 2.5M a year, it's because they feel he deserves that much and they pay him, not me.

When I watch a game, I never think about a player's salary. I just sit back and enjoy.

Well Ottawa won't be able to enjoy the best 1-2 in the game 'cause of that thing called the salary cap. When I watch a game I don't think about a salary either, though when I watched Breezer, I did think about it once in a while.....But it's not about watching a game, is being able to put the best team possible below that infamous cap before you'll be able to watch any game.

Though like a poster said, can't believe we didn't save some Streit money to give it to Bouillon.....

As far as Gillett and Boivin are concerned, well it's not finish but they don't seem to think he deserves what he asks for.....

So in the end what you're saying, is the only thing you based yourself in wanting or not a player is their play on the ice and the not the salary they'll make. Obviously I would agree with you in the old system, but since I don't believe the Habs have that much room to play with , every penny must be given accordingly.

Don't get me wrong, I like Bouillon, he does an adequate job, but remember that the guy began playing poorly when he got those top 4 minutes, so he should be used as a #5 or #6. But having said that, and if the Oilers would want to get rid of him, I would take Bergeron any time over the Cube, hockey wise....

Tuggy 06-30-2006 08:19 AM

Quote:

We have to sign Bouillon to at least a 2 year deal since we stand a chance of loosing all of Markov, Souray and Rivet to free agency next year.

If you are counting on Bouillon to replace any of those guys then you are in for a rude awakening. :biglaugh:

Blind Gardien 06-30-2006 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waseem
I Don't get this.

We jump on Strait and give him a 4M $ / 2 year contract when he has not proved a single thing. If I am not mistaken he did not played in palyoffs.

? Streit signed for $1.2M/2years. i.e. $600,000 per year. Not $4M. (Which incidentally will look better and better if Bouillon walks away).

Blind Gardien 06-30-2006 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality
According to Hickey's article in teh gazette this morning Bouillon is looking for Dandy money. Near 1.7 mil a year.

If i were him, i would too. He was more soild than him most of the year, played longer minutes and had a better physical game. But do we have the money to pay a 5th d-man almost 2 mil and let a top 4 d-man ellude us via free agency?

Tough decisions in the next 24 hours.

I would sign Bouillon 2 years at 2.6-2.8
If Begin deserves a million plus, so does he.

I agree that Bouillon is within his rights to want Dandy-type money. He outplayed Dandenault for the most part this year. But at some point, I think he also needs to factor in that Dandenault is overpaid too, and there was a premium paid on Dandenault because of his Cup experiences too.

Something under $1.5M for Bouillon would be fair, IMO. It might be more than you ideally want to pay your #6 defenseman, but at the same time, he is unrestricted. The premium comes in. I don't know what we'd find on the open market for less. I wouldn't be at all confident that we'd find anyone better. The other reality we have to consider is that Markov, Rivet, and Souray are all going to be unrestricted free agents next year. What if one leaves? Or if we trade Souray at some point, before he can leave? Investing a bit extra on Bouillon now might get us through a temporary rough spot again.

The other thing to consider is that the Habs are generally setting a precedent of dealing generously with their free agents. I think it could (and has) been argued that they gave guys like Koivu, Dandenault, Huet, Rivet, and Souray contracts that were a bit above what they absolutely had to. They extended Begin to a nice million-dollar deal when they could have just taken his option and paid him a lot less. With that sort of approach, it probably does set a bit of a sour note if management decides to undercut somebody like Bouillon, who probably could fit into a similar category.

Darz 06-30-2006 08:36 AM

Considering his UFA status, I would be pleased if we brought back the Cube with a 2yr/$1.5M a year deal. I don't think you get a better UFA d-man, for that kind of money.

waffledave 06-30-2006 08:38 AM

I like him, but let him walk. He's our 6th defenceman, have you guys forgotten that? Let him walk, and give his money to someone better.

Montrealer 06-30-2006 08:39 AM

I'd give him $1.2m max, and even that is a bit much for a #6 d-man. $1.7m a year? No way at all.... let him go sign somewhere else for $900,000.... no team in the NHL will give him $1.7m a year, and if we do I'm going to be seriously pissed off, and I usually don't get upset at our salaries!