HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Gainey to talk to Elias (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=265092)

SOLR 06-30-2006 09:00 PM

Gainey to talk to Elias

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/207444.html

"RDS learned that BG is about to make an offer to Elias"

Elias anyone?

I'll take it with some fries! hmmmm

4 Years/28m expect it!

katodelder 06-30-2006 09:01 PM

get This Player

Biggest impact UFA available, period

I wouldn't have a problem giving him 20-23 mil over 3 years.

Don't let last year's injury fool you, He's been very durable and he's only 30.
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...id%5B%5D=21469

GET THIS PLAYER

Whitesnake 06-30-2006 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SOLR
http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/207444.html

"RDS learned that BG is about to make an offer to Elias"

Elias anyone?

I'll take it with some fries! hmmmm

Well everyone will be interested in him so I believe any GM who doesn't speak to him either are totally stupid or have no cap room as of today and can't move nobody.

So Gainey will obviously make an offer, but again it will need to be substiantially more attractive than all the other offers is going to get.

Or do a Minnesota Wild move, find out which player he liked very much to play with and trade for that guy......

sXe 06-30-2006 09:04 PM

He should make an offer to every UFA who can potentially offer an upgrade on our current squad, see who bites.

SOLR 06-30-2006 09:04 PM

Doh! It was Bulis! :cry:

And agree with sXe.

More seriously, I think its Jagr, what kind of cap space in NY?

Pat 06-30-2006 09:06 PM

I hope Gainey has very convincing arguements

habsprospects 06-30-2006 09:06 PM

:yo: :clap: :vhappy: :towel: :crossfing :clap:

SOLR 06-30-2006 09:08 PM

I don't think 3 years will do it, 4 years or 5.

I would put 4 years/30m as the breaking point where we shouldnt pursue him.

habsprospects 06-30-2006 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katodelder
Don't let last year's injury fool you, He's been very durable and he's only 30.
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...id%5B%5D=21469

huh, 45 pts in 38 games + 16 pts in 9 playoff games

that's pretty good

SOLR 06-30-2006 09:10 PM

Injury? Wasnt it hepatisis?

habsprospects 06-30-2006 09:11 PM

Quote:

Injury? Wasnt it hepatisis?

injury/illness, what's the diff? he still missed half of the year

Artyukhin* 06-30-2006 09:11 PM

yep confirmed i just seen it on ris info sport

but there goona be many teams making a pitch for patriick . so dont get the hopes to high .

that said can we afford him ? at 7.5 million a season? guess if we got rid of zednick and traded bonk for a draft pick maybe

its one thing to make a offer but will it be serious?

a offer of 5.5 -6 million isnt a serious offer and if that the offer dont bother submitting one.

but you atleast can say you tried tho :)

5 years 38 million - final offer

SOLR 06-30-2006 09:12 PM

We can without making any moves. We have plenty of space.

Canadian_Brewtality 06-30-2006 09:14 PM

I dont know...

Elias is a great talent, but his salary can afford us a solid 3rd d-man and a solid center. Id rather spread around the money than blow it on one guy.

I would certainly not pay him 8 mil.

He is a between 5-6 mil at most.

Hurricane-JL 06-30-2006 09:15 PM

I really hope that he will be interested by BG offer. Playing for our "Hall of Fame" team is maybe important for him, I hope so !

It would be very interesting to see him play with Koivu, or Kovalev.

Even if I think all of us would be interested to see him in our team, I would be suprise that it is the "big" UFA signing we waited for many years to happens. It would be a very nice time to do it, and even if I would be suprise I really hope so!

Pat 06-30-2006 09:16 PM

Gainey can talk to Elias all he wants, but in the end...I think he'll stay in the US

SOLR 06-30-2006 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thief50
injury/illness, what's the diff? he still missed half of the year

None, was just curious/inquiring.

habsprospects 06-30-2006 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality
I dont know...

Elias is a great talent, but his salary can afford us a solid 3rd d-man and a solid center. Id rather spread around the money than blow it on one guy.

If he take 5-6M that would be with NJ elsewhere would more be 7-8M

habsprospects 06-30-2006 09:19 PM

Quote:

None, was just curious/inquiring.

so then, yes, it was an hepatitis A

HappyPappy 06-30-2006 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality
I dont know...

I'll take Elias at 8M over Arnott at 5M & Witt at 3M or whichever D any time.

SOLR 06-30-2006 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philippe27
I'll take Elias at 8M over Arnott at 5M & Witt at 3M or whichever D any time.

Im ambivalent on this, I can see both solutions blowing in our faces or proving to be a critically acclaimed great move 2 years after its done.

Artyukhin* 06-30-2006 09:35 PM

Elias is as every bit as good as brad richards . that contract set the bar . richards signed 5-year $39 million contract.

if gainey is making a offer he has to be well aware of that and this is what makes me wonder . is gainey really serious about opening the purse strings and go full out to snag a all star like Elias. ?

we all know carbo was brought here as gainey's man .

will gainey give carbo the best FIRE POWER available (willing to come to montreal) to suceeed? or will carbo have to really sing for his supper

my bet is gainey give's guy the weapons to suceeed cause if his first season as coach ends on a bad note (no playoffs) that doesnt help nobody in the orginazation espically after the last few positive season

SOLR 06-30-2006 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doug mckenzie
Elias is as every bit as good as brad richards . that contract set the bar . richards signed 5-year $39 million contract.

if gainey is making a offer he has to be well aware of that and this is what makes me wonder . is gainey really serious about opening the purse strings and go full out to snag a all star like Elias. ?

we all know carbo was brought here as gainey's man .

will gainey give carbo the best FIRE POWER available (willing to come to montreal) to suceeed? or will carbo have to really sing for his supper

my bet is gainey give's guy the weapons to suceeed cause if his first season as coach ends on a bad note (no playoffs) that doesnt help nobody in the orginazation espically after the last few positive season

Richards is much younger AND a center AND with no injury/disease history. So no Elias is not worth Richards imo.

waffledave 06-30-2006 09:47 PM

Quote:

Richards is much younger AND a center AND with no injury/disease history. So no Elias is not worth Richards imo.

Dude, it was an STD...It's not like it'll come back.

V-2 Schneider 06-30-2006 09:47 PM

Elias is an impact player.Make a fair market offer and see if he'd like to wear the CH.