HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Think about the future... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=265889)

Freaky Habs Fan 07-02-2006 03:08 PM

Think about the future...

OK, some of you will say that I'm too positive, but I think that Gainey is doing a good job by not giving too large contract to a guy like Elias...

Why?

Simply because Gainey is probably think futher then the next season. We have a young team and guys like Higgins, Komi, Perez, Pleks and Kost will not cost you much, but only for their first two contract...

They will be soon looking for a big raise and we have to have the cap to be able to retain their service...Ryder seems to be a consistent 30 goal scorer...will he only wants 1M per year for the rest of his career?

Markov will be a UFA next year...he will not be looking for 2M.

Also, Gainey surely don't want to fill the roster with vets because he knows that we have many young players in the system who will be ready within 2 years.

Maithz 07-02-2006 03:11 PM

I think a contract to Shanahan like 4 millions or Samsonov to fill our 2nd line LW spot will be ok .

Higgins - Koivu - Ryder

Samsonov - Ribeiro - Kovalev

Zednik - Plekanec - Perezhogin

Kostitsyn - Begin - Murray

Sports1131 07-02-2006 03:16 PM

Believe me, everybody understands that we have some good young players coming through the system, but the discussion is the same every year. Everybody always wants to save as much money as possible for the future, but why? We have a lot of money to play with this offseason and most of the good free agents are already gone.

I don't know about you, but I'm getting sick of this never-ending rebuilding plan. I can't wait to see Perezhogin, Plekanec, and Higgins improve next year, hopefully to be joined by Kostitsyn and Latendresse. I think our young players will be substantially better in the upcoming season, but that's not enough. Our two biggest rivals are at least making a sincere effort to improve, that's all I ask of the Canadiens. At some point Gainey needs to set higher aspirations than merely reaching the playoffs. I thought that our current core, a few more young guys from our system, and an elite free agent or two could do the trick. Instead of fighting for the final playoff spot again, we could challenge for the division. Unfortunately, it looks like more of the same. I still think we'll be a solid team next year, but Bob really missed out on a great opportunity to make this team a legitimate contender.

The Montreal Canadiens have been screwing around in the middle of the pack for far too long. I don't want to hear about building for 2009 - I want to see management at least make an effort, not enter the season closer to the floor than the cap.

Freaky Habs Fan 07-02-2006 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sports1131 (Post 5891412)
Believe me, everybody understands that we have some good young players coming through the system, but the discussion is the same every year. Everybody always wants to save as much money as possible for the future, but why? We have a lot of money to play with this offseason and most of the good free agents are already gone.

I don't know about you, but I'm getting sick of this never-ending rebuilding plan. I can't wait to see Perezhogin, Plekanec, and Higgins improve next year, hopefully to be joined by Kostitsyn and Latendresse. I think our young players will be substantially better in the upcoming season, but that's not enough. Our two biggest rivals are at least making a sincere effort to improve, that's all I ask of the Canadiens. At some point Gainey needs to set higher aspirations than merely reaching the playoffs. I thought that our current core, a few more young guys from our system, and an elite free agent or two could do the trick. Instead of fighting for the final playoff spot again, we could challenge for the division. Unfortunately, it looks like more of the same. I still think we'll be a solid team next year, but Bob really missed out on a great opportunity to make this team a legitimate contender.

The Montreal Canadiens have been screwing around in the middle of the pack for far too long. I don't want to hear about building for 2009 - I want to see management at least make an effort, not enter the season closer to the floor than the cap.

First, we are in the last stint of the rebuilding plan. We saw it last year and it's almost over...our young players are good!

Also, last year, with a good goaltender for the whole year, we would have been way better. Theo was so bad...he was the one who put us in the 7th seeds...

So bottom line, I agree that one of Shanahan or Samsonov would do the trick, but even if we don't sign anyone, I think that our team is underated...

Sports1131 07-02-2006 03:25 PM

I'm not saying we won't be good, but we won't be as good as we could have been. I think our team is good enough to make the playoffs and maybe win a series or two right now. That doesn't excuse Gainey from using his financial resources to put us over the top.

If we don't sign Shanahan, I almost hope Gainey does nothing at all at this point. I have no interest in Samsonov and I don't see a whole lot of guys out there that are worthy of the contracts they will receive.

toshiro 07-02-2006 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan (Post 5891296)
OK, some of you will say that I'm too positive, but I think that Gainey is doing a good job by not giving too large contract to a guy like Elias...

Why?

Simply because Gainey is probably think futher then the next season. We have a young team and guys like Higgins, Komi, Perez, Pleks and Kost will not cost you much, but only for their first two contract...

They will be soon looking for a big raise and we have to have the cap to be able to retain their service...Ryder seems to be a consistent 30 goal scorer...will he only wants 1M per year for the rest of his career?

Also, Gainey surely don't want to fill the roster with vets because he knows that we have many young players in the system who will be ready within 2 years.

Top flight talent not Jan Bulis talent costs money.

Freaky Habs Fan 07-02-2006 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toshiro (Post 5891722)
Top flight talent not Jan Bulis talent costs money.

Many of our prospects might become top flight talent...

LeMAD 07-02-2006 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan (Post 5892845)
Many of our prospects might become top flight talent...

Yet none of them are all that great right now either....

LeHab 07-02-2006 05:26 PM

We have been thinking about the future for the past 10+ years.

Le Tricolore 07-02-2006 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeMAD (Post 5893009)

Higgins and Ryder had pretty good seasons. Ryder was hurt, too!

Plekanec played rather well as a defensive forward, too.

toshiro 07-02-2006 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan (Post 5891296)

Why?

It is becoming obvious that when free agency hits at 27 then our players will leave and no new ones will come. We will be a farm team worse than under the old system.

Traitor8 07-02-2006 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeMAD (Post 5893009)

well they need ice time to get better..
maybe Perezhogin can score 20-25 goals next year...

maybe Kostitsyn can be rookie of the year?

you never know.

Higgins and Plekanec were pretty succesful in their first full year in the NHL

Artyukhin* 07-02-2006 05:28 PM

gianey said himself we need OFFENSE . sitting back and going into the season with the exact line up minus bulis and sundstrom does no good

hopefully he will be able to pull the cat out of the bag

Traitor8 07-02-2006 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doug mckenzie (Post 5893053)
gianey said himself we need OFFENSE . sitting back and going into the season with the exact line up minus bulis and sundstrom does no good

hopefully he will be able to pull the cat out of the bag

Getting Shanahan would be pretty good. I see him doing well with Ribeiro

Poochie_D 07-02-2006 05:48 PM

I don't wanna sound like a dick... but we've been looking to the "future" for far too long. I wanna win now.

toshiro 07-02-2006 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poochie_D (Post 5893347)
I don't wanna sound like a dick... but we've been looking to the "future" for far too long. I wanna win now.

Or at least hope of winning down the road. To win it all a blend of cheap up and coming talent and veterans are required. The Habs have frittered away money on Rivet, Bonk etc.

Whitesnake 07-02-2006 05:53 PM

I hope Gainey does think about the future and announces soon that they've come to terms with Grabovsky. If it's the only signing he does, well it's better than nothing. But Grabovsky needs to come as quickly as possible and at least play with the Dogs if he can't make it.

But at least it will be something to look for next year....

GoodKiwi 07-02-2006 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sports1131 (Post 5891412)

:clap:

I feel like we've been 're-building' since 1993. I want Montreal to be a true contender, a team that is favoured to win coming into, at least, first round of playoffs.

goalchenyuk 07-02-2006 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toshiro (Post 5893049)
It is becoming obvious that when free agency hits at 27 then our players will leave and no new ones will come. We will be a farm team worse than under the old system.

:nopity:

ChemiseBleuHonnete 07-02-2006 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjb45 (Post 5893046)
Higgins and Ryder had pretty good seasons. Ryder was hurt, too!

Plekanec played rather well as a defensive forward, too.

WOW! The problem is, almost every teams developped at least something similar or better in the past 6 years... So. Almost every teams rebuilds as fast as we do and they also care about winning now. When does the rebuilding process ends? Answer is NEVER. It's cheaper that way.

Poochie_D 07-02-2006 06:16 PM

Question: do you guys think Bob Genuinely doesn't wanna sign any free agents or do you think GG isn't allowing him to?

goalchenyuk 07-02-2006 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sports1131 (Post 5891523)
. I think our team is good enough to make the playoffs and maybe win a series or two right now. That doesn't excuse Gainey from using his financial resources to put us over the top.

It's now well know that Gainey did an offer to Elias and to Arnott . He 's probably going to do the same with Shanahan , but i am sure that at the end , this last is going to resign with Detroit .

The fact is GAINEY TRY TO GET HELP , but that didn't work until now . There are a lot of fans here that talk like if Gainey is doing nothing , but i would be very curious to know how much hours he worked with Carbo , since the last days .

If the player don't want to come here , it isn't is fault .
And why are the people think that there is soo much money to put on the free agents ?

goalchenyuk 07-02-2006 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poochie_D (Post 5893689)
Question: do you guys think Bob Genuinely doesn't wanna sign any free agents or do you think GG isn't allowing him to?

Not sisgning doesn't mean that he doesn't want to ; that means that he doesn't want to offer 6 millions $ to players like Arnott , or that means that the players don't want to play here .