HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Edmonton Oilers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Why the sudden Salo bashing? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=26684)

fuhr 11-08-2003 10:46 PM

Why the sudden Salo bashing?

I was saying from the 3rd game of the year that Salo just doesn't look right and wasn't making the big save and most of you jumped all over me. Now he plays a crappy game against the leafs and it's Salo's a bum! To be honest with you,he's looked better the last 4 games or so,outside of tonight,than he looked at the start of the year. Plus,the Oil didn't look to **** hot tonight like most of you are saying. Sundin made a nice play on his goal and Moreau took another bone head penalty to set up the Mogilny goal.

He stole the Oilers a point in Ottawa by making save after save to keep them in the game . Granted,the first Hossa goal he screwed up but other than that he kept them in the game. They need a younger goalie but that move should've been made in the off season and it wasn't addressed. There's no goalie market out there and you wouldn't get anything for him right now. I hope MacT keeps playing him and see where it gets them because that's their only opition.

By the way,nice move sitting Hemsky against a team that doesn't know how to play defence. He would have been affective tonight so if MacT wanted to send him a message sit him against the Sens because he's not going to do anything against them anyway.

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 11-08-2003 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuhr
I was saying from the 3rd game of the year that Salo just doesn't look right and wasn't making the big save and most of you jumped all over me. Now he plays a crappy game against the leafs and it's Salo's a bum! To be honest with you,he's looked better the last 4 games or so,outside of tonight,than he looked at the start of the year. Plus,the Oil didn't look to **** hot tonight like most of you are saying. Sundin made a nice play on his goal and Moreau took another bone head penalty to set up the Mogilny goal.

He stole the Oilers a point in Ottawa by making save after save to keep them in the game . Granted,the first Hossa goal he screwed up but other than that he kept them in the game. They need a younger goalie but that move should've been made in the off season and it wasn't addressed. There's no goalie market out there and you wouldn't get anything for him right now. I hope MacT keeps playing him and see where it gets them because that's their only opition.

By the way,nice move sitting Hemsky against a team that doesn't know how to play defence. He would have been affective tonight so if MacT wanted to send him a message sit him against the Sens because he's not going to do anything against them anyway.

Good calls Fuhrsie. He woulda lit up the Leafs. Guess my call for 3 will never get tested, I really think he woulda got em on that stage, with Smyth and Sarno, and after getting benched in the 3rd last game. I think instead of getting him fired up, they've wasted that, and pushed him to just plain angry at the coach.

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 11-08-2003 11:00 PM

Quote:

Good calls Fuhrsie. Salo has been pretty bad all year, some may remember my rant at the beginning of my Detroit game report, alot of people gave me flak for that, now they're all doggin the guy.

Hemmer woulda lit up the Leafs. Guess my call for 3 will never get tested, I really think he woulda got em on that stage, with Smyth and Sarno, and after getting benched in the 3rd last game. I think instead of getting him fired up, they've wasted that, and pushed him to just plain angry at the coach.

kruezer 11-09-2003 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Good calls Fuhrsie. Salo has been pretty bad all year, some may remember my rant at the beginning of my Detroit game report, alot of people gave me flak for that, now they're all doggin the guy.

Hemmer woulda lit up the Leafs. Guess my call for 3 will never get tested, I really think he woulda got em on that stage, with Smyth and Sarno, and after getting benched in the 3rd last game. I think instead of getting him fired up, they've wasted that, and pushed him to just plain angry at the coach.

I just don't see why sitting Hemsky this game is going to make him angry at the coach, maybe he realizes he wasn't playing that great and reacts by playing better later?

And hasn't the Salo bashing been happening since last year?

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 11-09-2003 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kruezer
I just don't see why sitting Hemsky this game is going to make him angry at the coach, maybe he realizes he wasn't playing that great and reacts by playing better later?

And hasn't the Salo bashing been happening since last year?

Wasn't that the point of benching him in the third? I'm just really confused about the exact message that was being sent here, especially when Horcoff, who shared the pine, dressed tonight. Also Laraque who's still hurting. Neither have done much of anything this year. And you're sittin there as the team leader thinking: what's goin on here?

As for Salo, I think his major inconsistency and downright shoddy play at times did start last year, some have been on him since, some are just starting, but I think everyone's realizing it. Sad for Tommy, but he's just not cuttin it.

gretzky2kurri 11-09-2003 01:14 AM

Sudden?

You been in a coma?

Just kidding, havent seen you around lately.

G-Double 11-09-2003 04:08 AM

Quote:

Wasn't that the point of benching him in the third? I'm just really confused about the exact message that was being sent here, especially when Horcoff, who shared the pine, dressed tonight. Also Laraque who's still hurting. Neither have done much of anything this year. And you're sittin there as the team leader thinking: what's goin on here?

As for Salo, I think his major inconsistency and downright shoddy play at times did start last year, some have been on him since, some are just starting, but I think everyone's realizing it. Sad for Tommy, but he's just not cuttin it.

I know you love Hemsky like a fat kid loves twinkies but come on man. Hemsky is a honest kid and he admits when he needs to work on things, look at how much his D had seemingly improved at the beginning of the year. I think he will come out fired up in the next game he dresses.

On to a couple of other things. Hemsky is not the *leader* of this team, he may have the most points but he doesn't lead the team on the ice, and in fact he is more of a perimeter player this year than he was at the end of last year. I'm in no way ripping the kid, just pointing a few things that have gone by without being commented on. Like i said before, i know you and your borther? i guess it is or maybe frirned have a passionate disposition towards young Ales but at times subjectivity is needed.

Furthermore, i'm all for Horcoff seeing the pine...who exactly is going to replace him at C even on the 4th line? Isbister? Hemsky? nope, neither of those guys play C. C is a position we are very thin at, especially with Stoll being Ill, that leaves us with...Smyth,York, Reasoner, Sarno, Horcoff. If Isbister can't go and you bring Hemsky in, then what are you going to do, especially if Reasoner has to sit or rest because of the events tonight? We just don't have the options at this point to bench horcoff...I agree he looks very lame out there, as if his summer weight lifting might have hurt his speed and agility,...if he had any to begin with...Lowetide?

In Addition, Laraque should definitely not have been playing, he was wasting someone's ice-time.

Lowetide 11-09-2003 05:50 AM

In the 4 years since this board started, I've spent 4 years defending him.

The only (recent) change in my opinion is that the Oilers can no longer devote any more of this season to seeing him through this slump. They need to move on, because his play is impacting the team, as it certainly did last night.

Tommy right now is like a closer in baseball who blows every lead a team builds. The team played well last night, but Tommy's poor play buried them.

IF that continues for any longer, the season will be lost. That's my opinion, anyway.

If we take Salo's last four seasons, we notice a real change:

00-01 Team MVP
01-02 Solid, but a weak 2nd half is a concern
02-03 Salo no longer steals the game, sp and GAA falling
03-04 Long distance collect call from Arturs Irbe

There's a trend there. I like Tommy Salo, hope he recovers, but it doesn't do any good to deny the trend. PLUS there's been no huge injury, just a long and unending list of new lows.

If Tommy had made his career in Vancouver, he'd be ice fishing in Manitoba this weekend, I'll tell you that.

ZIM 11-09-2003 06:07 AM

Call me crazy but I would play the #2 ranked .951 SV% and 1.29 GAA goalie before the #56 ranked, .856 SV%, 3.42 GAA goalie. Let's go with the hot goalie till he cools off, hoping that never happens.

The fans started to speak on this about 1/2 to 2/3 of the way thru last season during the player introductions at Oiler games by giving Tommy noticeably less applause. Maybe he can fool some people but he obviously can't fool them all.

FacelessButcher 11-09-2003 06:15 AM

When Lowetide and Jim Matheson both pick on Salo you know hes done with his tenoir in Edmonton.

Belcriss 11-09-2003 06:35 AM

I have given Salo exactly two good posts this past week. For the games in Montreal, and in Ottawa. He had played much better. Last night, was typical Salo not in the game bs! The first goal was bad, the third absolutely atrocious. What can I say, the guy has lost his confidence, and if his teammates haven't lost confidence in him, then they are much more forgiving than I am. I was absolutely pleased with the way the Oilers played lastnight, they never quit, even down 3-0. I like seeing a team that shows that kind of character. Tough game guys, but don't dwell on it too much. Your work ethic, and willing to sacrafice has been noticeable the last four games, KEEP IT UP!

FacelessButcher 11-09-2003 06:46 AM

Well Valiquete has been called up apparently, I guess Tommy is on injured reserve with a groin pull.

Hemmer 11-09-2003 07:19 AM

Quote:

Wasn't that the point of benching him in the third? I'm just really confused about the exact message that was being sent here, especially when Horcoff, who shared the pine, dressed tonight.

I can answer this one easily. Numbers. Horcoff is a natural C - we happen to be 1 natural C in the red right now as it is, and taking another one out of the lineup for no good reason is silly, regardless of how bad he played. I actually thought this was one of Horcs better games this season. I didn't notice him - which is a good thing.

EDIT: Sorry G-Double..I posted this before reading yours. Good post.

G-Double 11-09-2003 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hemmer
I can answer this one easily. Numbers. Horcoff is a natural C - we happen to be 1 natural C in the red right now as it is, and taking another one out of the lineup for no good reason is silly, regardless of how bad he played. I actually thought this was one of Horcs better games this season. I didn't notice him - which is a good thing.

EDIT: Sorry G-Double..I posted this before reading yours. Good post.

Hahaha Hemmer, no worries man, i don't have an ego about posts or things like that, anyway, nice avatar, pretty handy w/ the graphics programs eh?

Oi'll say! 11-09-2003 08:14 AM

I thought Horcoff had a good night last night for the most part, his line had some great chances but Belfour played great.

As far as the Tommy "bashing" is concerned, I've defended his occasional bad goals right from the beginning, I've been one of his strongest supporters up 'til now. The problem is that his bad goals have become a bit more frequent, and we all have the feeling that one is just around the corner all the time now.

Last night was the icing on the cake. He could have been bad in that game and still won, or at least gotten a tie. Fact is, he was brutal.

These weren't partially screened howitzers that can find their way into the net, or ping pong fluke shots, they were beach balls. Sundin's goal went in on the ahl side, ie - if you let one in on the short side you belong in the ahl. Good shot, but Sundin was out of options and took that backhander from a bad scoring angle, Salo just blew it.

It's not the end of the world for Salo, but it's time to admit that he's not playing well enough to be a starter here anymore. He should have to ride the pine and look good in a few backup appearances and maybe an occasional start before he gets back up to any serious minutes.

TheBrew 11-09-2003 08:17 AM

Ched has learned that the Swedish one has been sent back to Edmonton with a combination groin/hip injury, and that Stephen Valiquette has been called up from Toronto to back up Ty Conklin.

Conks, the ball is yours....RUN WITH IT!!!!!!!!!!

hmminvisiblecola1279 11-09-2003 08:35 AM

i think it is too bad however salo is a detriment to this team more now than ever before. a couple of goals last night were just brutal and like i said before he is not consistent enough to be the number one goaltender in edmonton anymore. gauging from the fans reaction, i would contemplate that most fans are souring on salo or should i say for quite awhile now. honestly i can barely watch a game with salo in net anymore, just waiting for that soft goal that deflates the rest of the team. gimme a break, this is a young team and when your goaltender is consistently letting in bad goals, they will not be able to come back and make up that difference.
as for salo bashing look at the numbers and watch the games. look at the big picture yes the defense has let him down at times but i would say he has let the whole team down for most of this current season. i certainly wont listen to crap that the team is to blame not salo, he has played enough games now and being ranked near the bottom of the league for stats is a very disturbing trend especially for a team that wants to make the playoffs.

creative giant* 11-09-2003 09:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Maybe because we've been seeing too much of this

hockeyaddict101 11-09-2003 09:29 AM

Pretty well how I feel as well

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowetide
In the 4 years since this board started, I've spent 4 years defending him.

The only (recent) change in my opinion is that the Oilers can no longer devote any more of this season to seeing him through this slump. They need to move on, because his play is impacting the team, as it certainly did last night.

Tommy right now is like a closer in baseball who blows every lead a team builds. The team played well last night, but Tommy's poor play buried them.

IF that continues for any longer, the season will be lost. That's my opinion, anyway.

If we take Salo's last four seasons, we notice a real change:

00-01 Team MVP
01-02 Solid, but a weak 2nd half is a concern
02-03 Salo no longer steals the game, sp and GAA falling
03-04 Long distance collect call from Arturs Irbe

There's a trend there. I like Tommy Salo, hope he recovers, but it doesn't do any good to deny the trend. PLUS there's been no huge injury, just a long and unending list of new lows.

If Tommy had made his career in Vancouver, he'd be ice fishing in Manitoba this weekend, I'll tell you that.

I also defended Salo but it has become very obvious that he is not the same goalie we had two years ago.

I hope he recovers too but it is becoming or has becoming increasingly obvious that Salo's career may be coming to an end in Edmonton and I think we will find out very quickly if Conklin is number one material.

oilers_guy_eddie 11-09-2003 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creative giant
Maybe because we've been seeing too much of this

:lol:

Ouch. but :lol:

nikeisevil 11-09-2003 10:24 AM

Why do we rag on Salo? - because he's about as dependable in the net as this:

http://www.theconnection.org/content...2cheese176.jpg

USC Trojans 11-09-2003 10:33 AM

I think at the beginning of the season we were all giving Salo the benefit of the doubt...the first few games might have been due to some offseason rust, but now its obvious that there is something wrong with him.
During the summer there were a handful of people calling for Conklin to be the starter...well, now's his chance, and I'm hoping he'll provide some confidence to Oiler fans. Salo's a great guy and has done a lot for the team. Here's hoping that he turns it around.

Asiaoil 11-09-2003 10:40 AM

Why all the bashing - because even supporters of Tommy (myself included) have eyes. He looks like Potvin did just before he got deep-six'ed by Vancouver and that was bad. I was hoping the guy had one last half season of solid play left in him - but it's pretty obvious he is on a 2 year slide to oblivion as LT points out. He may get one last chance - but he's probably done as I don't think Tommy has the mental toughness to get through this.

When MacT looked down the bench after the 3rd goal last night and said "Conks" - he may have just signalled the end of Salo as our #1.

Digger12 11-09-2003 10:57 AM

A guy on Oilfans is reporting that Salo has been sent home due to a groin injury, and that Valiquette will be called up for the rest of the road trip.

A rather convenient happenstance, eh?

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 11-09-2003 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G-Double
I know you love Hemsky like a fat kid loves twinkies but come on man. Hemsky is a honest kid and he admits when he needs to work on things, look at how much his D had seemingly improved at the beginning of the year. I think he will come out fired up in the next game he dresses.

On to a couple of other things. Hemsky is not the *leader* of this team, he may have the most points but he doesn't lead the team on the ice, and in fact he is more of a perimeter player this year than he was at the end of last year. I'm in no way ripping the kid, just pointing a few things that have gone by without being commented on. Like i said before, i know you and your borther? i guess it is or maybe frirned have a passionate disposition towards young Ales but at times subjectivity is needed.

Furthermore, i'm all for Horcoff seeing the pine...who exactly is going to replace him at C even on the 4th line? Isbister? Hemsky? nope, neither of those guys play C. C is a position we are very thin at, especially with Stoll being Ill, that leaves us with...Smyth,York, Reasoner, Sarno, Horcoff. If Isbister can't go and you bring Hemsky in, then what are you going to do, especially if Reasoner has to sit or rest because of the events tonight? We just don't have the options at this point to bench horcoff...I agree he looks very lame out there, as if his summer weight lifting might have hurt his speed and agility,...if he had any to begin with...Lowetide?

In Addition, Laraque should definitely not have been playing, he was wasting someone's ice-time.

Hey, if you want to call my opinion unobjective then w/e that's your deal, but what about the other posters on the board that have been saying last night was a bad decision? Where's their flak? I'm gonna analyze this situation more than most because that's just what I do, with any player, and I guess that comes with a certain amount of rocks flying at your head. Ah well, not like I'm not used to it :joker:

He's the points leader, that's all my comment was put towards. Not sure why you'd twist it.

I happen to think it's quite subjective to have the opinion that sitting Hemsky was a bad plan for the team as opposed to someone else, and have debated the effects this would have on him.

4th line center isn't exactly a huge priority. If you have to play a winger on the 4th line at center as opposed to sitting your current 1st line winger, I think it's pretty obvious which is more important to winning the game.

I don't pretend to know what's going to happen in NY, but I think Toronto could've been a really large game, and the proper message had already been sent, and MacT simply wasted that.

Totally agree on Laraque, I'm not sure why they rushed him in, and when the coach merely says "I wanted to see him play" without qualifying it, you've really gotta wonder what he's thinkin about exactly.

Ty, you've got your shot, take it.