HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Minnesota Wild (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Wild sign Paul Albers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=267111)

Sabes 07-04-2006 08:35 PM

Wild sign Paul Albers

http://www.vancouvergiants.com/home.htm

Albers finished off his WHL career in dramatic style with the Giants last year. In his overage season in Vancouver, the native of Melville, Saskatchewan had 17 goals and 45 assists in 70 games. He led all WHL defencemen in goals, power play goals (13) and points. He also led the entire WHL in plus-minus with a +38! With numbers like those, it was no surprise he was named the Western Conference nominee for the WHL's Top Defenceman as well as to the Western Conference First All-Star Team. In the playoffs, Albers posted 3 goals and 16 assists and was a key contributor to the Giants capturing their first WHL title. He was also named to the Memorial Cup First All-Star Team as the Giants finished third in the CHL Championships.

firstroundbust 07-04-2006 08:39 PM

soooooo

tell us about him

HamiltonOHL 07-04-2006 09:29 PM

Nothing big about this signing just goign to be sent down to Houston this fall

David Draiman 07-04-2006 10:06 PM

I had the opportunity to see him play numerous times over the years... He knows how to move the puck and manufacture offense... He's got some spunk and character... But I'd view him as a fairly one-way defenseman, so I don't see him making a dent for a while, if at all... He's worth a gamble though because offensive defensemen are *somewhat* difficult to find... If anyone can make a player out of a "project" type like Albers, it would be Lemaire... Good, low-risk signing, just don't get your hopes up...

vitogor 07-04-2006 10:08 PM

Intriguing. Undrafted, but part of "arguably the best defensive pairing in the WHL" according to the Giants web site. Send him to Houston and see what he's got.

anguscertified 07-04-2006 10:09 PM

GREAT junior player.. wish the Canucks got him. Definite NHL upside, maybe as a lower pairing guy. Agressive, good skater, great shot and moves the puck well.

Big Daddy 07-04-2006 10:22 PM

Great stats, breakout season as a 20 year old, a majority of his points on the 1st unit PP, but that said I was not that impressed with him. I watched a lot of Giants games and his decision making at times is poor (in both ends). His skating is ok but he got beat wide quite a bit. A decent shot but not great. Meh, the stats don't lie but again I was not that impressed.

David Draiman 07-04-2006 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Daddy (Post 5923474)
Great stats, breakout season as a 20 year old, a majority of his points on the 1st unit PP, but that said I was not that impressed with him. I watched a lot of Giants games and his decision making at times is poor (in both ends). His skating is ok but he got beat wide quite a bit. A decent shot but not great. Meh, the stats don't lie but again I was not that impressed.

It's not that hard to score big time in junior, especially as a 20 year old overager. I'm with you, his stats were good but he's not that great. He certainly would have a ways to go before he'd be NHL caliber.

Knuckles Muldoon 07-05-2006 12:21 AM

Its fair to say Albers is a late-bloomer. He's a good puckhandler and has a very low panic level with it. Good instincts on the PP. A good defender at the junior level, but will need to get stronger to be a good pro. A good low-risk signing with a reasonably good upside.

Greg7 07-08-2006 07:46 AM

I posted this on the prospects board about Albers:

Albers is a nice player that has a future in pro hockey somewhere. He is a decent skater but needs to improve his backward acceleration and lateral mobility, has very good vision and instincts in the offensive zone, poised and patient at the point, decent shot but very clever with it, and highly capable when joining the rush or carrying the puck. Defensively, I thought he was good at a WHL level last year, and did a pretty good job of keeping guys wide and taking away passing lanes. He isn't a physical presence though, and he can get caught at times running around a bit in his own zone. Once he has the puck though, he is outstanding at moving it and his team out of the zone quickly and effectively. However, this is all at the WHL level, and I think when he takes the next step he is going to struggle with some things. Bigger, stronger, faster forwards are going to give him a lot of trouble, off the rush and especially down low. He is going to need to add a lot of strength and improve his quickness in order to be able to contain professsional level players. Offensively, I hope his game translates quickly, but I have my doubts. A lot of his effectiveness stemmed from confidence, and I think when he first plays in the AHL, he might find it difficult to continue to do some of the things offensively that made him a great WHL player. He will find the game is significantly faster, and every decision has to be made more quickly, and he might not be comfortable enough to be the dynamic offensive threat he was in the WHL. Ultimately I don't see a lot of future NHL upside in him, but he is a hardworking kid who by all accounts has great character, so I'm not prepared to write him off. It will be interesting to see how he does in his first year of professional hockey, and whether he will be able to play in the AHL this year or if he needs some time to adjust in the ECHL. He's not an easy one to predict though; I can envision him in a couple of years having developed wonderfully and competing to get a chance as a callup type of guy for the Wild, or struggling to make the adjustment of a stronger faster game and playing for a few years in the ECHL. I suppose if I had to guess, I would probably guess that if he chooses to stick with pro hockey, he will likely end up as a decent top 4 AHL defenseman that isn't quite strong enough, isn't quite fast enough, doesn't quite think quickly enough on the ice, and isn't quite skilled enough, to take the next step to the NHL. In any case, he's a great guy to take a chance on and try to develop for the Wild.