HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Washington Capitals (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Keenan Fired - Do the Caps consider him? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=26712)

Marshall 11-09-2003 05:25 AM

Keenan Fired - Do the Caps consider him?

If Cassidy is fired, should the Caps take a look at Iron Mike?

txpd 11-09-2003 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marshall

They have Keenan jr now. I would think that the Caps would grab someone with a different tempermant and different style. but keenan wins. if its only for the rest of this season...maybe

gocaps8 11-09-2003 07:27 AM

Quote:

I hope not. He could ruin alot of young tallent. :shakehead

IkeaMonkey* 11-09-2003 07:34 AM

Quote:

What would happen to our Griffs?

txpd 11-09-2003 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gocaps34

how is that young talent doing with our boy cassidy?

Killerbeez 11-09-2003 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gocaps34

I disagree. He might be just what this team needs. Jagirl might end up on the 4th line, but he will work if he is on a keenan team. One thing is for certain, everyone in the system would get a look under keenan and be gone if they didn't cut it.

CapitalsCupFantasy 11-09-2003 12:38 PM

That would be a bold statement by Ted

Two things would happen for sure.

1. A trade would happen within a month.

2. Everyone on the team would be busting their ass for a change.

HughJass* 11-09-2003 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Killerbeez
I disagree. He might be just what this team needs. Jagirl might end up on the 4th line, but he will work if he is on a keenan team. One thing is for certain, everyone in the system would get a look under keenan and be gone if they didn't cut it.

I 100% agree. I'm sure Leonsis has this guy on the brain. He wants to win, Mad Mike wins. Sure, he alienates players but it is always the players who will never win anything.

I, for some odd reason, think Jagr would flourish under him. I think Jagr just needs someone to remind him how he made all the money he's made: playing damn good hockey. Plus, Keenan treats star players differently than he treats everyone else.

gocaps8 11-09-2003 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txpd
how is that young talent doing with our boy cassidy?

Cassidy sucks with the young and the old. He is only good for Kiwi.

Keenan has not had a winning record since 94-95

95-96 St. Louis NHL 82 32 34 16 .488 13 7 6 .538
96-97 St. Louis NHL 33 15 17 1 .470 -- -- -- --
97-98 Vancouver NHL 63 21 30 12 .429 -- -- -- --
98-99 Vancouver NHL 45 15 24 6 .400 -- -- -- --
00-01 Boston NHL 74 33 26 7 (8) .493 -- -- -- --
01-02 Florida NHL 56 16 29 8 (3) .357 -- -- -- --
02-03 Florida NHL 82 24 35 13 (9) .372 -- -- -- --
03-04 Florida NHL 15 5 8 2 (0) .400 -- -- -- --

From CNNSI:
Many in the Panthers organization, though, believed his methods were not the best for a young team like Florida.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html

OldChelsea 11-11-2003 07:53 AM

A tempting quick-fix for a team going nowhere fast...but bear in mind:

(1) No Keenan-coached team has finished above .500 since 1994-95 (Rangers in industrial-action-shortened season)
(2) No Keenan-coached team has made the playoffs since 1996 (Blues)
(3) His longest tenure at any club has been 320 regular-season matches (Flyers and Blackhawks, his first two head-coaching billets)

Granted that the playoffs seem little more than a pipe-dream now for the Caps and this team is in dire need of some discipline...but there are risks involved too. Very tempting though.

usiel 11-11-2003 10:14 AM

OC, did you finally get tired of the official caps forum? heh. That forum is probably one of the worst ones I've seen.

Killerbeez 11-11-2003 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WHurricane16
I 100% agree. I'm sure Leonsis has this guy on the brain. He wants to win, Mad Mike wins. Sure, he alienates players but it is always the players who will never win anything.

I, for some odd reason, think Jagr would flourish under him. I think Jagr just needs someone to remind him how he made all the money he's made: playing damn good hockey. Plus, Keenan treats star players differently than he treats everyone else.

Every team that he gets fired from has its players that hate him, but also have guys that acknowledge that he taught them how to really play the game. To name a few, Ollie Jokenin and Joe Thornton both flourished under the Keenan rule.

iagreewithidiots 11-11-2003 10:27 AM

As a Pens fan I gotta tell you Keenan would be a bad choice.

It would be a monumental power struggle. Im talking bigger than Ted Nolan.

Jagr has been the way he is going back into his Pens days. He will not play a system. He wants to be the best player but if he feels he is being held back he sulks and doesnt play as hard.

What youve got to do is hire a hands off coach. A guy who will just say go get em Jags. I guarentee you Jagr will return to his league leading points old self, but you arent winning any cups that way.

Jagr is a fabulous talent, a joy to watch. But hes not a team guy. Its really sad because the talent you guys have in Washington, I wouldnt say its a cup contender, but certaintly a team that should easily be a second round playoff team. The only way to do it is to let Jagr do his thing. Making the playoffs is better then where the team is now.

I wish you guys the best I know what you are going through with Jagr.

txpd 11-11-2003 03:43 PM

Another problem with Keenan for the Capitals is that he is very much not a fan or european players. Jagr, Lang, Zubrus, Nylander, Gonchar, Semin, Bondra....do I need to go on?

SneakyPete 11-12-2003 03:05 AM

Keenan helped the Canucks quite a bit, traded Linden for Bertuzzi and McCabe...got Naslund to realize his potential...

BIG FAN 11-12-2003 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SneakyPete
Keenan helped the Canucks quite a bit, traded Linden for Bertuzzi and McCabe...got Naslund to realize his potential...

Greg Millen of HNIC said this morning on FAN 590 that Leonsis has already contacted Keenan about the possibility of him coming to the Caps. Millen isn't the type of guy to float rumours out there without merit (ie. Strachan).