HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Montreal needs to start banning media (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=267254)

waffledave 07-05-2006 09:45 AM

Montreal needs to start banning media
 
This topic came up on another board and I want to see what you guys think.

Montreal needs to start banning media from the lockers and PCs. Not ALL the media, obviously, but only certain types.

I don't know if it's a feasible option but I think at this point it's necessary.

Ban the newspaper that ran the picture of Koivu in the hospital (Journal, I think). Ban the guys who sent that reporter to assault Koivu at his PC. Ban anyone who starts with the xenophobia or who brings up the language issue. Hell, ban anyone who brings up anything non-hockey related.

Yes I know the NHL has a policy against banning the media from the lockerroom. I think Bob can probably make a case to get an exception to that rule. It's clearly getting to a point where it's hurting our chances as a club.

Ban these jokers and make them regret ever trying to be sensationalist xenophobes and bringing this garbage into hockey in the first place.

deandebean 07-05-2006 09:46 AM

One word: no.

DerekT 07-05-2006 09:48 AM

Ok, Ban the reporter from Koivu's hospital room. He'll STILL get in the hospital room. Banning won't change that.

rocketlives 07-05-2006 09:49 AM

Wanna start a police state?

DerekT 07-05-2006 09:56 AM

We'll call it Habtopia!!!


Honestly, it would be better than Quebec.

waffledave 07-05-2006 09:57 AM

It's not a police state, you guys are taking this way too seriously. It's not politics, it's sports. It's hockey, a game.

The reporters are there to report on hockey. What the hell does the language Koivu speaks or the girls Theodore sleeps with or the arguments Souray has with his wife have to do with hockey?

Why should a newspaper who invades the privacy of this guy just comming out of surgery be priviledged to report on this team? Why should a news team that just tries to stir **** up be allowed to ask questions at a PC?

When they call a PC, it's to discuss hockey matters. And then half the reporters there try and turn it into something else. Let the ones who report on hockey be there, and the ones who have other agendas...well they can go find something else to talk about.

It has no place in hockey and it's screwing the team. It's absolutely retarded that free agents don't want to sign here because the media is too intrusive/intense.

deandebean 07-05-2006 09:57 AM

Waffle, I know you had good intentions in your post, but you need to know how the media works.

You ban one, you'll get a full boycott from the rest. And the Habs surely don't need a boycott. Remember: sure, hockey sells papers and gets ratings. But the Habs need this free advertisement in order to sell out their arena. Les Canadiens don't need to buy much advertisement thru out the season, because they get free advertisement with the coverage they get.

The media circle covering the Habs is pretty close-knitted. If you ban one, I can assure you that there will be a boycott. No question.

LeHab 07-05-2006 09:59 AM

Hockey is not a game here, it is a religion.

Russeltown 07-05-2006 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocketlives (Post 5926333)
Wanna start a police state?

No way to find a solution eh? No half-measures.

Anarchy... or police state :shakehead

These journalists went too far. They think they can do anything, branding high the public interest argument. They record Jose Theodore in his parking lot. They photo Koivu at the hospital...

Common, after you wonder why no star-player want to play here

waffledave 07-05-2006 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deandebean (Post 5926399)
Waffle, I know you had good intentions in your post, but you need to know how the media works.

You ban one, you'll get a full boycott from the rest. And the Habs surely don't need a boycott. Remember: sure, hockey sells papers and gets ratings. But the Habs need this free advertisement in order to sell out their arena. Les Canadiens don't need to buy much advertisement thru out the season, because they get free advertisement with the coverage they get.

The media circle covering the Habs is pretty close-knitted. If you ban one, I can assure you that there will be a boycott. No question.

The Alouettes banned ALL media from the lockerroom and still sell out their arena year in year out.

deandebean 07-05-2006 10:00 AM

By the way, this media pressure stuff you are all throwing out is absolute hogwash. Montreal is no different than Boston, New-York, Taranna, or any other major sports market.

Athletes love the spotlight. They love it when fans adore them. When they get reckognise outside. Then, they should learn to live with it.

deandebean 07-05-2006 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waffledave (Post 5926422)
The Alouettes banned ALL media from the lockerroom and still sell out their arena year in year out.



The Als are not the Habs. And selling out 8 or 9 times a puny stadium is NOT to be compared with the Habs' situation.

waffledave 07-05-2006 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deandebean (Post 5926428)
By the way, this media pressure stuff you are all throwing out is absolute hogwash. Montreal is no different than Boston, New-York, Taranna, or any other major sports market.

Athletes love the spotlight. They love it when fans adore them. When they get reckognise outside. Then, they should learn to live with it.

There's a difference between being recognized on the street and being photographed when you come out of surgery.

There's a difference between being recognized, and having photos of you with another woman published on the front page of the newspaper with wild acusations flying (do we even know the real story?).

EDIT: Those sports markets are intense, but at least they RESPECT the players.

DerekT 07-05-2006 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waffledave (Post 5926452)
There's a difference between being recognized on the street and being photographed when you come out of surgery.

There's a difference between being recognized, and having photos of you with another woman published on the front page of the newspaper with wild acusations flying (do we even know the real story?).

And how do you plan to stop reporters from taking pictures on the street?

deandebean 07-05-2006 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waffledave (Post 5926452)
There's a difference between being recognized on the street and being photographed when you come out of surgery.

There's a difference between being recognized, and having photos of you with another woman published on the front page of the newspaper with wild acusations flying (do we even know the real story?).

EDIT: Those sports markets are intense, but at least they RESPECT the players.


Go ask Derek Jeter.

deandebean 07-05-2006 10:05 AM

Or Randy Johnson.

Blind Gardien 07-05-2006 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deandebean (Post 5926399)
Waffle, I know you had good intentions in your post, but you need to know how the media works.

You ban one, you'll get a full boycott from the rest.

I wish it was that easy! I can easily imagine more than one I'd ban! If the rest went quietly with him, jeez, that would be a bonus!
Quote:

And the Habs surely don't need a boycott. Remember: sure, hockey sells papers and gets ratings. But the Habs need this free advertisement in order to sell out their arena.
Do they, though? The media would still cover the Habs, precisely because it sells papers/airtime/advertisements. They just wouldn't have any special access to the players. We can only limit so much. But keeping them out of the lockerrooms, off any chartered transports, etc... the things which are in the team's control... would certainly send a much-needed message IMO. But the coverage would continue.
Quote:

The media circle covering the Habs is pretty close-knitted. If you ban one, I can assure you that there will be a boycott. No question.
I only wish it was realistic to test that theory. Of course neither the league nor the team would do it, though. We come up with the same suggestion every year, it never happens, never will. :cry:

deandebean 07-05-2006 10:06 AM

Or Manny Ramirez.

deandebean 07-05-2006 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blind Gardien (Post 5926485)
I wish it was that easy! I can easily imagine more than one I'd ban! If the rest went quietly with him, jeez, that would be a bonus!

Do they, though? The media would still cover the Habs, precisely because it sells papers/airtime/advertisements. They just wouldn't have any special access to the players. We can only limit so much. But keeping them out of the lockerrooms, off any chartered transports, etc... the things which are in the team's control... would certainly send a much-needed message IMO. But the coverage would continue.

I only wish it was realistic to test that theory. Of course neither the league nor the team would do it, though. We come up with the same suggestion every year, it never happens, never will. :cry:



It doesn't work that way. Sorry. The Habs need the Montreal media. Right now, as I write, some Montreal marketing exec is already in talks with La Presse, JOurnal de Montréal and others about seasons tickets, corporate boxes, media exchanges, etc.

I know, the Hens are doing the same with us.

waffledave 07-05-2006 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninot (Post 5926468)
And how do you plan to stop reporters from taking pictures on the street?

At least if the teams have no special access to the players, they'll lose credibility. It'll go from "insider scoops" to "pure speculation".

Why is it that we trust rumours made up by the media but not those made up by you or me? It's because the media has access to sources that we don't.

Live Forever 07-05-2006 10:12 AM

I can't remember which team it was, whether is was the Rangers or Boston, but PJ Stock mentioned that the Owner of the team held a press conference recently and banned the local media reporters from having entrance to the PC room. He mentioned there were a total of 7 reporters asking questions and taking picture all of whom were employees of the hockey club! He also mentioned that the questions were handed to them from the owner himself so knew what kind of answers to give and so that nothing would get out of hand. I hope this isn't what you meant by banning the media...

deandebean 07-05-2006 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blind Gardien (Post 5926485)
I wish it was that easy! I can easily imagine more than one I'd ban! If the rest went quietly with him, jeez, that would be a bonus!

Do they, though? The media would still cover the Habs, precisely because it sells papers/airtime/advertisements. They just wouldn't have any special access to the players. We can only limit so much. But keeping them out of the lockerrooms, off any chartered transports, etc... the things which are in the team's control... would certainly send a much-needed message IMO. But the coverage would continue.

I only wish it was realistic to test that theory. Of course neither the league nor the team would do it, though. We come up with the same suggestion every year, it never happens, never will. :cry:



I'm still shocked at the way some of you are reacting to this media mumbo jumbo.

If you think hockey players are looked at in Montreal, you should go see what kind of coverage basketball, baseball and football players get in the US!!! Or soccer player in Europe!

HOckey players have it easy. They don't have specialised national newspapers, or magazines, intruding in their personal lives like the other sports. Sports Illustrated, Sporting News, tabloids, whatever. Its much, much worse. Or better if you look at it from the other side. ;)

deandebean 07-05-2006 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waffledave (Post 5926518)
At least if the teams have no special access to the players, they'll lose credibility. It'll go from "insider scoops" to "pure speculation".

Why is it that we trust rumours made up by the media but not those made up by you or me? It's because the media has access to sources that we don't.

So, you think the media beat reporters would stop asking questions to players?

My guess is you really don't know how the system works to write such a thing.

Whitesnake 07-05-2006 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waffledave (Post 5926298)
This topic came up on another board and I want to see what you guys think.

Montreal needs to start banning media from the lockers and PCs. Not ALL the media, obviously, but only certain types.

I don't know if it's a feasible option but I think at this point it's necessary.

Ban the newspaper that ran the picture of Koivu in the hospital (Journal, I think). Ban the guys who sent that reporter to assault Koivu at his PC. Ban anyone who starts with the xenophobia or who brings up the language issue. Hell, ban anyone who brings up anything non-hockey related.

Yes I know the NHL has a policy against banning the media from the lockerroom. I think Bob can probably make a case to get an exception to that rule. It's clearly getting to a point where it's hurting our chances as a club.

Ban these jokers and make them regret ever trying to be sensationalist xenophobes and bringing this garbage into hockey in the first place.

I think something needs to be done, I agree. Wasn't the press use to be on the same plan as the players and now they are not anymore, and it was a big deal in the past, but not anymore? So, sure it will be a problem at first but they will get use to it at one point. But not ta a ''ban'' extent but to a more control area. I don't think you should have 40 journalists in a room full of 20 players. So you don't ban them but you put a rule of a number of journalists allowed and let them eat each other, let them choose between themselves who should go and who can take reports from guys in the room. Do you seriously need that many journalists for a after-game report saying that we didn't play as great but we will give 110% in 2 days???? In-depth interview, well that's another story, that's where a newspaper becomes better than another, but game reports? Does the coach really needs to give an interview every single day even if there's nothing to say?

I agree that something needs to be done, but to a certain extent....

waffledave 07-05-2006 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deandebean (Post 5926565)
I'm still shocked at the way some of you are reacting to this media mumbo jumbo.

If you think hockey players are looked at in Montreal, you should go see what kind of coverage basketball, baseball and football players get in the US!!! Or soccer player in Europe!

HOckey players have it easy. They don't have specialised national newspapers, or magazines, intruding in their personal lives like the other sports. Sports Illustrated, Sporting News, tabloids, whatever. Its much, much worse. Or better if you look at it from the other side. ;)

Two wrongs don't make a right. Fine, it's worse in other places. Let them deal with it. This is the Habs we're talking about. I don't care what happens in Baseball, Football, Soccer, whatever...I care about Hockey in Montreal.

Whether you admit it or not, this is a problem that is hurting the team moving forward. I never said to ban the media all together, I said to ban the media that disrespects our players and the media that brings up non-hockey issues.

I thought the Habs were a classy organization. I thought they protected their players. Instead, they seem to encourage this sensationalist tabloid crap. What kind of message does that send to the players? You think Koivu looks forward to giving PCs now?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:50 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.