HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Montreal - Edmonton Proposal (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=26737)

gohabsgo2010 11-09-2003 06:28 AM

Montreal - Edmonton Proposal

Don't worry, no Comrie involved here. ;)

I'm talking about defenceman. Both the Habs and the Oilers possess and excellent, young, 24-year-old defenceman. Their names are Andrei Markov and Eric Brewer.

Neither one of them are playing particularily well, but we know that they will both be key contributers to whatever team they're on.

Markov is a better offensive defenceman than Brewer, but the latter definitely holds the physical edge over Markov.

Perhaps it's a bit early for such a "big trade", but I think that a flip of these two players would be perfect.

As for salaries, Brewer is making 2.5 million, while Markov is making 1.3. The Habs would probably pick up some salary, but I think that their owner, Gilette would be happy with that.

Maybe I haven't seen enough of Brewer to know whether this deal is sensible, but I think Markov would provide alot of offence from the Oilers backend, and Brewer would be the type of guy Gainey would like to acquire, because it would have him well on his way to building the same type of defensive core that he structured in Dallas.

Again, there's no basis for this trade. It's simply a proposal that I came up with, that I think would work for both teams.

Andrei Markov for Eric Brewer.

Thoughts from Habs fans, Oilers fans, and anyone else?

H-Bear 11-09-2003 06:56 AM

I for one wouldn't mind a deal centering around these two players. I do feel however, that the trade needs to include other components in order for it to work. Something like:

Markov + Sourray
for
Brewer + Bergeron perhaps??

My reasoning for expanding the deal is because EDM can ill afford to give up Brewer for Markov straight up and lose the toughness and size. However, I don't foresee a trade of this magnitude happening.

BLONG7 11-09-2003 07:36 AM

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Brownies 11-09-2003 07:41 AM

Markov is better than Brewer. He's having some trouble adjusting to our new system, but he'll be our powerplay QB for many years.

Brownies 11-09-2003 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by comrie
I for one wouldn't mind a deal centering around these two players. I do feel however, that the trade needs to include other components in order for it to work. Something like:

Markov + Sourray
for

My reasoning for expanding the deal is because EDM can ill afford to give up Brewer for Markov straight up and lose the toughness and size. However, I don't foresee a trade of this magnitude happening.

The Habs would never trade Sourray right now, he's our best goals scorer !!! :p

Munchausen 11-09-2003 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by comrie
Markov + Sourray
for

Keep dreaming.

Maithz 11-09-2003 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brownies
Markov is better than Brewer. He's having some trouble adjusting to our new system, but he'll be our powerplay QB for many years.

I agree , Offensively Markov is excellent on PP and 5 on 5 but defensively this year he sucks , he have to adapt the new system to his play .

Mathieu Lavergne 11-09-2003 07:55 AM

I think we need Markov's offense more then we need Brewer's toughness. I am confident that Komisarek, Souray and Rivet will be able to handle the toughness department. I am happy with the the looks of having Hainsey, Komisarek, Brisebois, Rivet, Souray and Markov as our 6 defensemans. I don't think this trade make sense for the Habs. Both defensemans are equally important to their teams and their value is pretty damn close though.

As for a Souray + Markov for Bergeron + Brewer trade, I agree with BLONG7. Souray is currently our best defenseman in almost every facets of the game, moving him for Bergeron makes no sense at all as we need Souray's toughness really badly. He is arguably our MVP since the beginning of the season, a team would have to overpay to get him.

Hyped 11-09-2003 08:00 AM

I would never in a million years trade Markov for Brewer straight up. In fact if the Habs traded Markov for Brewer in any deal, I'd probably stop cheering for the Habs altogether. Brewer will never be a good d-man. I've been saying this for a couple years now. He's not smart enough to adapt to the NHL game. He'll consistently be poor in his own end and continually make poor decisions on when to join the rush offensively. It's too bad his mind doesn't work as fast as the rest of his body, but that'll hold him back for his entire career...