HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Whats Florida's press conference about? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=26795)

Mr. Canucklehead 11-09-2003 10:36 AM

Whats Florida's press conference about?

www.tsn.ca/nhl

In the same article announcing Keenan was fired, it stated that the Panthers had announced a press conference for 3PM Eastern Time to "make a huge announcement". My first thought was a new coach, but then the article said Dudley was going to step behind the bench. If this topic was posted already I apologize, but I didn't see one. I'm just curious to get your guys' input?

~Canucklehead~

HughJass* 11-09-2003 10:42 AM

It can't be the firing, but I think it's a trade. I think there was something on the table but Keenan was seen as an obstacle, perhaps. We shall see :) Interesting Sunday in the NHL. Sunday's are usually the slowest day in the NHL. Well, publicly.

Mr. Canucklehead 11-09-2003 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WHurricane16
It can't be the firing, but I think it's a trade. I think there was something on the table but Keenan was seen as an obstacle, perhaps. We shall see :) Interesting Sunday in the NHL. Sunday's are usually the slowest day in the NHL. Well, publicly.

I agree; my first thought was a new coach, but then it said Dudley would be stepping behind the bench, so second reaction is a trade. But who could be going/coming?

~Canucklehead~

HughJass* 11-09-2003 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canucklehead17
I agree; my first thought was a new coach, but then it said Dudley would be stepping behind the bench, so second reaction is a trade. But who could be going/coming?

~Canucklehead~

I'm seriously thinking Weiss and Comrie is involved. I wouldn't move Weiss unless there is something more coming....

Maybe a big multiplayer deal.

King of Stankonia 11-09-2003 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WHurricane16

Do you think Comrie gets traded to the Panthers? The Cats have an incredible amount of young talent, and the only thing that was standing in the way of Florida's interest in Comrie was the fact that he wasn't a "Keenan player". This is not to say that Keenan was fired to trade for Comrie, but it's an interesting bonus if it does happen.

Mr. Canucklehead 11-09-2003 10:47 AM

Yeah, Comrie doesn't seem like a Keenan player. Maybe he was standing in the way of a deal like this?

~Canucklehead~

oilers_guy_eddie 11-09-2003 10:52 AM

Stop, you're jinxing it. Now that you've built it up, it's probably going to be something retarded like a new mascot.

King of Stankonia 11-09-2003 10:53 AM

Quote:

Yeah, Comrie doesn't seem like a Keenan player. Maybe he was standing in the way of a deal like this?

~Canucklehead~

Now that I think about it though, trades don't often bring about press conferences do they? The only one I can actually remember is Wayner's. Could it be an FA signing instead? The only big one out there still is Adam Oates, and he's no longer that big as far as I know.

Mr. Canucklehead 11-09-2003 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kubina_Fan
Now that I think about it though, trades don't often bring about press conferences do they? The only one I can actually remember is Wayner's. Could it be an FA signing instead? The only big one out there still is Adam Oates, and he's no longer that big as far as I know.

Good point, I was just thinking about that. Adam Oates would be a big signing for them indeed...I'm just trying to think if a big trade has ever been announced by a press conference.

~Canucklehead~

Michalek 11-09-2003 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kubina_Fan

From recent history :
When BUffalo-Calgary trade went down ( Drury deal) , both teams has press conference.
So I wont be supriced if there is a trade ,but maybe this is all about firing Keanan.

dem 11-09-2003 10:59 AM

The Oiler swould also be having a press conference if there was a trade for Comrie.. hell they had a press conference for signing Cory Cross :p

Its either a free agent signing or just talking about the coaching situation.

Mr. Canucklehead 11-09-2003 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dem
The Oiler swould also be having a press conference if there was a trade for Comrie.. hell they had a press conference for signing Cory Cross :p

Its either a free agent signing or just talking about the coaching situation.

If they were talking about the coaching situation, why would they have broken the news this morning? We already know Keenan was fired and Dudley is going to be behind the bench.

~Canucklehead~

oilers_guy_eddie 11-09-2003 11:04 AM

Hey, it's 3pm Eastern right now! Anybody have access to the press conference?

dem 11-09-2003 11:04 AM

Quote:

If they were talking about the coaching situation, why would they have broken the news this morning? We already know Keenan was fired and Dudley is going to be behind the bench.

~Canucklehead~

For a q&a session? :teach:

I dunno.. have they even released a statement? It seems like there should be a press conference whenever you fire a coach..

Howard35 11-09-2003 11:15 AM

any news on the conference?

Mr. Canucklehead 11-09-2003 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zetterberg40

None yet...any Cats fans on here with any info?

~Canucklehead~

oilers_guy_eddie 11-09-2003 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zetterberg40

If it was anything good, we'd have heard by now.

HughJass* 11-09-2003 11:33 AM

After reading the article again, I'm thinking they are talking about the firing. I think news of the firing was leaked, but the Panthers still wanted to make it official in a press conference.

Coolburn 11-09-2003 12:16 PM

Here's the quick blurb about it from local media:
Quote:

The Panthers today fired coach Mike Keenan and named the team's general manager, Rick Dudley, interim coach. The team has scheduled a 3 p.m. news conference at the Office Depot Center in Sunrise to announce the move
source: http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/loc...home-headlines

Kevin Forbes 11-09-2003 12:32 PM

the press conference is to officially announce that Keenan is fired and Dudley is stepping in