HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   When is a good time to call up a player from the minors.... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=26874)

417 11-09-2003 05:19 PM

When is a good time to call up a player from the minors....

With the trouble the Habs have had lately with scoring goals, would it be a good time to call up a player from the farm, according to the game reports , Tomas Plekanec, Pierre Dagenais, Jozef Balej are all on hot streaks, why not give one of them a call up, even if it`s for a couple of games why not try to feed of a young players enthusiam to jump start the teams offense, I think it`s a low risk move and it will send a message to the veterans that there are some talented young players who are all hungry.

Team_Spirit 11-09-2003 05:36 PM

Pierre Dagenais should be the 1st called up , he's LW and if someone is hurt he will get the call and at 6.4 210 he will add some size to our line-up . Benoit Gratton is also red hot and i would not be surprised if he's called up .

Gratton carrer with the Habs organisation so far :

2001-02 Quebec Citadelles AHL 35gp 10g 19a 29pts
2001-02 Montreal Canadiens NHL 8gp 1g 0a 1pts
2002-03 Hamilton Bulldogs AHL 43gp 21g 39a 60pts
2003-04 Hamilton Bulldogs AHL 11gp 6g 7a 13pts ( Captain )

He had crazy number in 02-03 but he played with league MVP Ward and with an Red Hot Ryder ..... Skilled wingers Rita , Hossa , Torres , Pisani and Czerkawski played some games with the Dogs too . Gratton is a small center but he hustle hard like Begin .

Balej probaly won't play for us this year , he will have a Ryder like season in the A and if he do good at the training camp they will keep him and we won't see Audette around anymore !!!

Habber 11-09-2003 05:41 PM

I would love to see something like this. Start rotating in some of these rookies and give them a chance. I'm not saying call them all up, but rotate one ata time in for a few games apiece. Maybe someone will catch fire.

goalchenyuk 11-09-2003 07:10 PM

when is it the good time to call a player from the minors...

when tou have players like Traverse who are playing game after game in the nhl...:teach:

CHareth 11-10-2003 03:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 417 TO MTL
With the trouble the Habs have had lately with scoring goals, would it be a good time to call up a player from the farm, according to the game reports , Tomas Plekanec, Pierre Dagenais, Jozef Balej are all on hot streaks

I'd bump Audette and make room for Plekanec or Higgins. Both are versatile enough to play center or wing, and I think they will do alright with the Habs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jozeph_Balej
Pierre Dagenais should be the 1st called up , he's LW and if someone is hurt he will get the call and at 6.4 210 he will add some size to our line-up . Benoit Gratton is also red hot and i would not be surprised if he's called up .

Dagenais adds size but he does nothing with it. Koivu and Begin are both a lot smaller but play a more physical game than this gentle giant. Unless Dagenais has developed a mean streak to take advantage of his size or improves his speed or is willing to take some punishment in front of the net to screen the goalie and get some rebounds, I am not sure I want to see him get the call before Plekanec or Higgins.

Ditto Gratton, who I believe will not be more than a 4th liner, and I am quite happy with the 4th line at the moment.

Mike8 11-10-2003 03:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anon
I'd bump Audette and make room for Plekanec or Higgins. Both are versatile enough to play center or wing, and I think they will do alright with the Habs.

Dagenais adds size but he does nothing with it. Koivu and Begin are both a lot smaller but play a more physical game than this gentle giant. Unless Dagenais has developed a mean streak to take advantage of his size or improves his speed or is willing to take some punishment in front of the net to screen the goalie and get some rebounds, I am not sure I want to see him get the call before Plekanec or Higgins.

Ditto Gratton, who I believe will not be more than a 4th liner, and I am quite happy with the 4th line at the moment.

Well said. I like Gratton's game and hustle, but right now the Habs have an upgraded version of him in Begin. Unless Begin goes down, Gratton adds nothing to the Habs.

Lewis63 11-10-2003 04:21 AM

If someone comes up then somebody must come down. The 23 players limit is always in effect. If they're would be injuries then there wouldn't be any prolems with calling up some young blood.

Dajenais, Plekanec, Higgins, Komisarek, those are the guys I think we'll see during the year

Team_Spirit 11-10-2003 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anon

At least he will go in front of the net and stay there even if Tom Poti push him , we really need a big guy in front of the net on the PP who will make it harder for the goalie to see the puck well and harder for the d-men to work in the ''coverage box''

Habber 11-10-2003 06:05 AM

Quote:

At least he will go in front of the net and stay there even if Tom Poti push him , we really need a big guy in front of the net on the PP who will make it harder for the goalie to see the puck well and harder for the d-men to work in the ''coverage box''

Kilger filled that role nicely against Buffalo.

CHareth 11-10-2003 05:49 PM

Quote:

Yeah, it'd be nice to have a pillar stand in front of the net, but I really don't think Dagenais is willing to pay the price there. He's soft, and I've rarely seen him use his size to his advantage. I'm not just talking about hitting or fighting. I'm also talking about staying in front of the net, taking abuse from the opposition's defencemen, and refusing to budge. That ain't the Dagenais I know.