HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Poti's run with Rangers over (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=268758)

RangerBoy 07-08-2006 06:42 AM

Poti's run with Rangers over
 
Quote:

"He made it clear to us that he wanted to move on," Rangers assistant general manager Don Maloney said yesterday. "We wanted to explore whether we were a consideration but, for all considered, he needs to move on to somewhere else. So the answer is, no, he's not on our radar screen"
Maloney seems content with the Rangers defense

Quote:

"It'd be fair to say we'd be satisfied with where we are," Maloney said. "We'll continue to look to upgrade all positions. But, if you look around, there aren't that many premium defensemen on the market right now, so either we can look to upgrade through trades or young players"
http://www.nyjournalnews.com/apps/pb...607080342/1108

Maloney was asked about Brian Leetch(he wouldn't comment specifically about Brian)but there is little interest from both sides on a reunion

Fletch 07-08-2006 06:58 AM

So they target Chara...
 
end up with Ward and are happy... Funny thing is, the Rangers seemingly wanted to keep Poti; I wonder if that would've been instead of Rozsival? With Malik, Kaspar, Tyutin, Ward and Rachunek, is there really room for Rozsival and Poti (barring a trade and excluding Ozolinsh, of course).

jas 07-08-2006 07:07 AM

YESSS!!!! Time to do the happy dance!!! :yo:

RangerBoy 07-08-2006 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fletch (Post 5961675)
end up with Ward and are happy... Funny thing is, the Rangers seemingly wanted to keep Poti; I wonder if that would've been instead of Rozsival? With Malik, Kaspar, Tyutin, Ward and Rachunek, is there really room for Rozsival and Poti (barring a trade and excluding Ozolinsh, of course).

Where do you get the impression the Rangers wanted to bring Poti back?Just because Maloney spoke to Poti's agent?Maloney has probably talked with all of the NHLPA certified agents about many players

Target Chara to a certain $$$.Maloney indicated in his MSG interview with John Giannone,the Rangers weren't going to break the bank and start offering blockbuster contracts but some skeptics(I think you were one of them)ripped his comments

Fletch 07-08-2006 08:07 AM

This statement...
 
"We wanted to explore whether we were a consideration" makes me believe there was interest. Why ask if the Rangers were a consideration?

I am a skeptic, and breaking the bank is a relevant term. Allegedly they were offering more than $7MM per season - could've been $7.4MM for all we know - and $7.5MM got it done. Yeah, perhaps they didn't trump the winning number (perhaps Chara made it clear he wouldn't play in NY so they didn't even try), but what number's breaking the bank (can this be considered offering a blockbuster contract?)? Some would consider paying $7MM for Chara a lot. Perhaps the number was $7.4MM, and some would consider that a lot. So they were willing to spend within $500K of what got dne, which is still significant. Someone needs to clarify to me what break the bank means. Just because a deal doesn't get done doesn't mean the willingness to spend a nice sum of money, i.e., break the bank.

Same with Elias - but there are less details about that, but seemingly this team was willing to spend $7MM on two free agent - is that breaking the bank? Or does the term only apply if it actually gets consummated? I personally like understanding thought processes.

g52* 07-08-2006 09:10 AM

No Brian Leetch.

bk3nj 07-08-2006 09:44 AM

No Poti?

:banana:

Heat McManus 07-08-2006 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RangerBoy (Post 5961662)
Maloney seems content with the Rangers defense



http://www.nyjournalnews.com/apps/pb...607080342/1108

Maloney was asked about Brian Leetch(he wouldn't comment specifically about Brian)but there is little interest from both sides on a reunion



What does Tom Poti have to do with defense?

Glad to see him go. Infuriating in his incompetence at times. Even on the PP he was useless for the majority of his stay.

RGY 07-08-2006 10:10 AM

I think you guys are too quick to be happy that Poti's gone. I think he really started to come into his own last year. Maybe not offensively but his overall game improved alot. He was a solid defenseman last year and even played a little tougher getting in opponents faces sometimes to stick up for his teammates. I really like the way he played. I think he never got going offensively last year but you can see its there with his rushes up the ice, good slap shot and passing ability. Poti didnt shoot enough it seemed at times and passed the puck off at times where he had the shot. But thing I like best about his improved play was that he didnt get caught up ice much if at all. He picked his spots well when he wanted to join the rush, always being able to recover and get back for a counter attack. Sure he wasnt producing for the money he was getting but he certainely did a good job. If Poti came back I wouldnt be upset. Rather see Rozsival traded and Staal get the chance to take the spot. If he doesnt do good in camp give the spot to Pock.

shoothepuck 07-08-2006 10:12 AM

Thank you. Potty is gone. Let's see who's the first one to cream him or skate around him when NY plays the Islanders.

FATCHAMALA11 07-08-2006 10:12 AM

http://nhlpa.com/WebStats/PlayerBiography.asp?ID=6197

WHY DID MY POST DISAPPEAR? READ THE TEAM.. AWESOME IF TRUE.

I Am Chariot 07-08-2006 10:18 AM

I'm sure he'll play well 8 times next year

RGY 07-08-2006 10:27 AM

Any other source to confirm he signed with the Isles.

FATCHAMALA11 07-08-2006 10:46 AM

http://www.nhl.com/players/8465012.html

Heat McManus 07-08-2006 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FATCHAMALA11 (Post 5962239)

Big deal. NHL, NHLPA. Give me something credible, like "sources within the organization". Or at least Eklund

Son of Steinbrenner 07-08-2006 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fletch (Post 5961755)
"We wanted to explore whether we were a consideration" makes me believe there was interest. Why ask if the Rangers were a consideration?

I am a skeptic, and breaking the bank is a relevant term. Allegedly they were offering more than $7MM per season - could've been $7.4MM for all we know - and $7.5MM got it done. Yeah, perhaps they didn't trump the winning number (perhaps Chara made it clear he wouldn't play in NY so they didn't even try), but what number's breaking the bank (can this be considered offering a blockbuster contract?)? Some would consider paying $7MM for Chara a lot. Perhaps the number was $7.4MM, and some would consider that a lot. So they were willing to spend within $500K of what got dne, which is still significant. Someone needs to clarify to me what break the bank means. Just because a deal doesn't get done doesn't mean the willingness to spend a nice sum of money, i.e., break the bank.

Same with Elias - but there are less details about that, but seemingly this team was willing to spend $7MM on two free agent - is that breaking the bank? Or does the term only apply if it actually gets consummated? I personally like understanding thought processes.


How do you know what the Rangers offered for Chara and Elias. Please state your source..

Chara was worth the money the Rangers were offering

Most of the other guys are NOT worth the contracts they signed. (see the mckee and kubina signings)

Ward is worth the contract he signed and fills a need. (amazing right)

If Maloney was pissed about how things shook out do you expect him to tell the press?

For years we had to read posters say how Poti was Sathers boy. Wouldn't that be enough for the Rangers to see his interest. Wouldn't it make sense for the Rangers to check all there free agents to see what they would return for.

Aucoin3 07-08-2006 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FATCHAMALA11 (Post 5962239)


As an Islander fan I have vetoed this signing so the Rangers must keep him.

RangerBoy 07-08-2006 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeffyuhTJRest (Post 5962272)
Big deal. NHL, NHLPA. Give me something credible, like "sources within the organization". Or at least Eklund

http://www.nhlpa.com/WebStats/Player...p?OIDTeam=9492

nyrmessier011 07-08-2006 12:17 PM

ill drink to that

RangerBoy 07-08-2006 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyrmessier011 (Post 5962698)
ill drink to that

:cheers:

HockeyBasedNYC 07-08-2006 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RangerBoy (Post 5962747)
:cheers:


http://www.newyorkislanders.com/team/roster.asp


I cant wait to see Poti's head and purse on one of those little fishmen.

FLYLine24 07-08-2006 12:43 PM

Well Poti...we hardly knew ya....wait yes we did....so long!

Extra Dry 07-08-2006 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FATCHAMALA11 (Post 5962239)

You have to show more than that.No info on tsn.:shakehead

HockeyBasedNYC 07-08-2006 12:55 PM

Yes!!
 
Ive made it for the Islanders... they can pick it right off this thread and use it

http://www.newyorkislanders.com/team/roster.asp

FLYLine24 07-08-2006 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC (Post 5963009)
Ive made it for the Islanders... they can pick it right off this thread and use it

:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:04 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.