HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Gainey interested in Samsonov... by thefourthperiod.com (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=269702)

jo_ab 07-10-2006 09:55 PM

Gainey interested in Samsonov... by thefourthperiod.com

Quote:

The Canadiens, who are also believed to be pursuing winger Sergei Samsonov along with the Wings, are expected to announce the signing of defenseman Mike Komisarek this afternoon.
http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/mtl060710a.html

I think it possible that the canadiens are interested in him after shanahan sign with Rangers...

what do you think of samsonov you guys...

in my opinion let give the place for young but I'll be happy gainey sign him tough

Malakhov 07-10-2006 09:58 PM

Thinking about seeing Samsonov play on the same line than Kovalev makes me all giddy, but it will never happen :cry:

jpchabby 07-10-2006 10:01 PM

Samsonov in Montreal would be sick... If we can add, after Sundstrom and Bulis left, Kostitsyn and Samsonov in the line-up, WOW !!!!! that would be sick.....

Empireshark 07-10-2006 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jo_ab (Post 5985928)

I think it possible that the canadiens are interested in him after shanahan sign with Rangers...

in my opinion let give the place for young but I'll be happy gainey sign him tough

Initially, I've been hesitant about the idea of signing him because we already have a small injury prone forward in Koivu but if you want to work in young offensive players you could put them on the 3rd and 4th lines at the beginning of the season so that they get climatized to a new league and then when Samsonov inevitabley gets hurt you already have a player that has been somewhat accustomed to the NHL to take his place. If he plays the entire season it's a bonus. As long as the term and money aren't too bad I'd do this deal.

jpchabby 07-10-2006 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Empireshark (Post 5986039)
Initially, I've been hesitant about the idea of signing him because we already have a small injury prone forward in Koivu but if you want to work in young offensive players you could put them on the 3rd and 4th lines at the beginning of the season so that they get climatized to a new league and then when Samsonov inevitabley gets hurt you already have a player that has been somewhat accustomed to the NHL to take his place. If he plays the entire season it's a bonus. As long as the term and money aren't too bad I'd do this deal.

Well, you say Koivu is injury prone, but in the last years, since the cancer, he didn't miss a lot of games... ok during the playoff, but we all know the highstick was disgusting... I feel like Koivu's injury-prone statue is kind of... past... know what I mean?

Habs13 07-10-2006 10:17 PM

well... he got the Komi part right :P

Habs 4 Life 07-10-2006 10:19 PM

No to Samsonov.It's better if Gainey makes a trade right now then us signing a free agent

Malakhov 07-10-2006 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life (Post 5986160)
No to Samsonov.It's better if Gainey makes a trade right now then us signing a free agent

It's even better if Gainey makes a trade now and sign Samsonov.

Samsonov - Lang - Kovalev

:biglaugh:

SOLR 07-10-2006 10:20 PM

Please no. No more push me or endure me, players please.

Souffle 07-10-2006 10:20 PM

I don't see him as a very useful player. He skates around a lot without hitting people. His skills are good but not gamebreaking, and he gets injured a lot.

It's just buying time until one of Perezhogin, Kostitsyn, or Grabovsky equals or surpasses him, which should be one more year at most.

Richer 07-10-2006 10:22 PM

In my opinion here are the pro's

-Bob's interest in Shanny is basically non-debatiable so it shows that we are looking for a top six player with some impact.

-Samsonov is the only player avaliable in the FA market that can come close to being a impact player on the same level as Shanny.

-Samsonov is not that old and could be a great producer espically with Kovalev.

Con's

-Samsonov is not big and not a leader in the way Shanny would have been.

- Big con, Samsonov will want a multi year contract. Unlike Shanny whould would have been basically a one year rental Samsonov would become part of our core for the next few years and limit our choices in the future.

-Samsonov is injury prone and could turn into a lemon. With that being said he has played %81 of the games in his career and if you exclude the 2002-2003 season where he basically missed it he has played close to %93. So he is not that injury prone.

The big question that has to be asked is if we want Samsonov as part of the core for the next three to five years?

jpchabby 07-10-2006 10:25 PM

If it is possible to sign him for not too much money, I don't see why not taking him for many years... the problem is he's gonna ask for a lot... so may be 3 years would be alright... not 5, but 3 ok

waffledave 07-10-2006 10:25 PM

Samsonov will probably sign with the Wings, but the Habs ARE interested.

HF-Addict 07-10-2006 10:27 PM

According to all those rumours...

Both the habs and wings are pursuing the same Free Agent in Samsonov....
Both of them are supposed to be in trade talks about Lang.....

I highly doubt Montreal could get both Lang and Samsonov with Detroit GM seeing you just sign the player they wanted (Samsonov).

Just my two cents.

turnbuckle* 07-10-2006 10:44 PM

Sure - sign him and Markov, deal Koivu, Ribs and Ryder for Yashin and Grebeshkov.

Lineup in a couple years:

Kostitsyn Grabovsky Kovalev
Samsonov Yashin Perezhogin
Buturlin Ujcik Kostitsyn

Markov Markov
Valentenko Emelin
Grebeshkov Korneev

Tarasov

Slick Nick 07-10-2006 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turnbuckle (Post 5986361)
Sure - sign him and Markov, deal Koivu, Ribs and Ryder for Yashin and Grebeshkov.

Lineup in a couple years:

Kostitsyn Grabovsky Kovalev
Samsonov Yashin Perezhogin
Buturlin Ujcik Kostitsyn

Markov Markov
Valentenko Emelin
Grebeshkov Korneev

Tarasov

Ujcik... pffff, stupid non-russian :shakehead

hockey_nut 07-10-2006 10:51 PM

the article says both Montreal and Detroit are after Samsonov... with our luck, Samsonov will end up with the Red Wings! :banghead:

Le Tricolore 07-10-2006 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockey_nut (Post 5986446)
the article says both Montreal and Detroit are after Samsonov... with our luck, Samsonov will end up with the Red Wings! :banghead:

nah, the rangers.

Habsy 07-10-2006 10:53 PM

Nothin for nothin but Grabovsky is German. He was born in East Germany right before the wall fell.

TSV 07-10-2006 10:58 PM

if Zednik is on is way out... with Sunny and Bulis gone, at a good prize (less than 3M$) well yes he will be a good fit...

Kovalev and Samsonov, IMO, russian like to play with each other... don't they??
but they would need a big center...

Slick Nick 07-10-2006 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habsy (Post 5986471)
Nothin for nothin but Grabovsky is German. He was born in East Germany right before the wall fell.

His father probably served there as a military dude thing stuff.. He's russian, Byalorushian.

Richer 07-10-2006 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TSV (Post 5986513)
if Zednik is on is way out... with Sunny and Bulis gone, at a good prize (less than 3M$) well yes he will be a good fit...

Kovalev and Samsonov, IMO, russian like to play with each other... don't they??
but they would need a big center...

There is no way that Samsonov signs for under 3 million. Think more like a 4 year $15.5 million deal or a 3 year $13 million dollar deal.

turnbuckle* 07-10-2006 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slick Nick (Post 5986436)
Ujcik... pffff, stupid non-russian :shakehead

LOL. Sorry Nick, thought I'd sneak a Czech in there since Zhogy and the Belarussians aren't technically Russians either (that and I ran out of them :) ); figured Viktor might be able to understand some Russian having played against them all those years. The club would obviously need to hire a Russian coach. Perhaps Igor Blakeov - Better known in Chelyabinsk as 'Toes'.

BTW - what is **** in Russian anyway?

toshiro 07-10-2006 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jo_ab (Post 5985928)

I think it is a good idea at 4 million. One gets one's strengths where one may. It would be nice to have a threat on every line. The speed of the team would be amazing.

jcpenny 07-10-2006 11:44 PM

Dont want him, give the spot to a young gun.