HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Flames interested in Comrie.... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=27039)

Ozy_Flame 11-10-2003 10:20 AM

Flames interested in Comrie....
 
http://www.canada.com/calgary/sports...D-B077B33F0136

Take it for what it's worth. Doesn't really seem plausible, but then, nothing really ever is with the Flames.

jumptheshark 11-10-2003 10:24 AM

Before the Oilers trade comrie to the flames the fallowing will happen

1)Hell will freeze over
2)John Claude Van DAm will win an oscor for his roll in the remake of rainman
3)I am elected Primeminister
4)New York Rangers and New York Yankees both have the loyest payroll in any sport
5)Sadam Hussan elected to the US Defence council
6)Man walks on Pluto

Pinto 11-10-2003 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame
http://www.canada.com/calgary/sports...D-B077B33F0136

Take it for what it's worth. Doesn't really seem plausible, but then, nothing really ever is with the Flames.

Calgary would be the last place comrie goes

Pinto 11-10-2003 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jumptheshark
Before the Oilers trade comrie to the flames the fallowing will happen

1)Hell will freeze over
2)John Claude Van DAm will win an oscor for his roll in the remake of rainman
3)I am elected Primeminister
4)New York Rangers and New York Yankees both have the loyest payroll in any sport
5)Sadam Hussan elected to the US Defence council
6)Man walks on Pluto

LMFAO :bow:

Ozy_Flame 11-10-2003 10:28 AM

Did you even read the article? It says they're looking for a third party to get involved, which isn't as far off as some might think. The Oilers are doing just fine without Comrie, and I'm not sure they'd do any better with him at the moment. The forwards, are not the problem, it is the defense and goaltending.

If the Oilers have a chance to land some capable players to support those positions, then I see no reason as to why Lowe wouldn't follow through. I don't think Lowe would base a trade solely on the fact that Comrie might score on them later during the season. He's not that rash of a GM.

ACC1224 11-10-2003 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jumptheshark
Before the Oilers trade comrie to the flames the fallowing will happen

1)Hell will freeze over
2)John Claude Van DAm will win an oscor for his roll in the remake of rainman
3)I am elected Primeminister
4)New York Rangers and New York Yankees both have the loyest payroll in any sport
5)Sadam Hussan elected to the US Defence council
6)Man walks on Pluto

You forgot
#7 jumptheshark will win The National Spelling Bee!!

Bacchus 11-10-2003 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACC1224
You forgot
#7 jumptheshark will win The National Spelling Bee!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Teezax 11-10-2003 11:05 AM

i highly doubt the Flyers will get involved in this mess, let alone giving up our youth core for an overpriced Iginla just months away from the CBA expiration.

Badger Bob 11-10-2003 11:09 AM

The real question is how did Iginla for Gagne/Williams/Pitkanen fall through?

blah 11-10-2003 11:15 AM

Somebody in Calgary awoke from their slumber.

Kritty 11-10-2003 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teezax
i highly doubt the Flyers will get involved in this mess, let alone giving up our youth core for an overpriced Iginla just months away from the CBA expiration.

That could actually play into Philly's favour. If things change during the CBA, which they will, who knows what will end up happening with salaries. When Iginla's contract is up, he could come back down to the 2-3 million range, if that. That would be a steal. I have no clue if that would happen, most likely wouldn't, but with the unknown of the CBA, anything could result.

Cerebral 11-10-2003 11:23 AM

While there are a number of players on the Flames and Flyers I'm sure the Oilers would be interested in, any deal involving the Flames is extremely unlikely. Someone mentioned that K-Lowe wouldn't be stubborn enough to turn down a couple quality players for a few goals against by Comrie in the coming seasons.. I do believe he is that stubborn. While most Western conference teams would just have to overpay to acquire Comrie, I believe Calgary would have to massively overpay (be it a two team or three team deal) to pick up Mikey. In many ways this is a shame because I see a lot of decent possibilities between Philly/Edmonton/Calgary if the Flyers are still interested in picking up Iginla.. I bet Flames fans are dying after reading the trade Calgary turned down last season for Iginla (Gagne, Williams and Pitkanen). I don't want to go out on a limb but I've got a feeling Clarke wouldn't even deal Williams and Pitkanen for Iggy now..

VO #23 11-10-2003 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badger Bob
The real question is how did Iginla for Gagne/Williams/Pitkanen fall through?

I call b.s. on it. Sutter would be a fool to turn that deal down, and "league sources" just don't do it for me as far as sources go...

blah 11-10-2003 11:46 AM

Williams and Pitkanen? I doubt he'd do Williams or Pitkanen for Iginla right now.

Maybe a deal was discussed with one of them being the centerpiece. You def can't trust annonymous sources though.

Badger Bob 11-10-2003 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VO #23
I call b.s. on it. Sutter would be a fool to turn that deal down, and "league sources" just don't do it for me as far as sources go...

Actually, Craig Button was still GM at the time. Before there were rumors of Gagne, Williams & Woywitka, but never heard Pitkanen's name until reading that article. Bobby Clarke has always preferred power forwards, so maybe that package wasn't so far-fetched. Who knows? Tony Amonte was the apparently backup plan for not getting Iginla.

Oiltown16 11-10-2003 12:26 PM

I wouldn't mind that...more oppurtunity to BOO the little punk, also Battle of Alerta would be alot more violent.

Souffle 11-10-2003 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame
Did you even read the article? It says they're looking for a third party to get involved, which isn't as far off as some might think. The Oilers are doing just fine without Comrie, and I'm not sure they'd do any better with him at the moment. The forwards, are not the problem, it is the defense and goaltending.

If the Oilers have a chance to land some capable players to support those positions, then I see no reason as to why Lowe wouldn't follow through. I don't think Lowe would base a trade solely on the fact that Comrie might score on them later during the season. He's not that rash of a GM.

I agree with you. Lowe's responsibility is to make the Oilers better, not to prevent the Flames or Avs or any other team from getting better. It reminds me, on a smaller scale, of the Hackett trade that saw him end up in Boston. The circumstances were simply that Savard tried to make his team better, to give his team a better chance of making the playoffs.

This is exactly the position of every GM. Sutter would trade with Lowe if the trade made the Flames better, and vice versa. Even Holland would trade with Lacroix if he felt that the deal benefitted his club.

The problem with trading with a divisional rival is only a problem if you get the worst of the trade. For this reason, I can see Lowe's reluctance to trade Comrie to a conference rival for prospects because trading for prospects is always risky. But if a third team gets involved and offers concrete assets that address the needs of the Oilers, Lowe would follow through.

VO #23 11-10-2003 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badger Bob
Actually, Craig Button was still GM at the time. Before there were rumors of Gagne, Williams & Woywitka, but never heard Pitkanen's name until reading that article. Bobby Clarke has always preferred power forwards, so maybe that package wasn't so far-fetched. Who knows? Tony Amonte was the apparently backup plan for not getting Iginla.

You are right, it was still Button. :o

I seem to remember the Gagne/Williams/Woywitka rumours too, but I didn't hear anything about Pitkanen. I think Woywitka will be a stud, but the oppurtunity to acquire a potential franchise d-man like Pitkanen come along once in a blue moon.

mrs9x 11-10-2003 02:08 PM

I don't buy that
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by VO #23
You are right, it was still Button. :o

I seem to remember the Gagne/Williams/Woywitka rumours too, but I didn't hear anything about Pitkanen. I think Woywitka will be a stud, but the oppurtunity to acquire a potential franchise d-man like Pitkanen come along once in a blue moon.

That's BS...there is no way any GM in this league, even Button, would have turned down a deal of Gagne, Williams, AND Pitkanen for Iginla. And second, there is no way in hell that Clarke made that offer in the first place. There has been a youth movement underway in Philly over the past 3 years, and that move would destroy it. So whatever "sources" said that that offer was on the table last year are idiots.

Volchenkov 11-10-2003 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrs9x
That's BS...there is no way any GM in this league, even Button, would have turned down a deal of Gagne, Williams, AND Pitkanen for Iginla. And second, there is no way in hell that Clarke made that offer in the first place. There has been a youth movement underway in Philly over the past 3 years, and that move would destroy it. So whatever "sources" said that that offer was on the table last year are idiots.

I disagree. With Iginla you have a player who will score 40 goals a year easily. Gagne is a 30 goal scorer. People around here tend to overrate the value of prospects - Rotislav Klesla still hasn't done anything and he was just as highly touted as Pitkanen. IMHO there are very few deals worth it for a team giving up its only marquee talent. Keep in mind that Gagne has never produced in the playoffs. Justin Williams is OK - but he's mainly a throw in. There have been many top-prospect defensemen who have flopped or became only good defensemen - a player like Iginla is a rare asset and worth holding onto unless they absolutely HAVE to trade him.

billsandsabres 11-10-2003 04:52 PM

calgary doesn't want to pay drury, but they will pay comrie?
bad decision, drury is twice the player comrie is

Cerebral 11-10-2003 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Volchenkov
With Iginla you have a player who will score 40 goals a year easily. Gagne is a 30 goal scorer.

I disagree.. how is Iginla a player who will score 40 goals a year "easily" ? He certainly has the potential to score 40 goals/year but he didn't last year (granted he was injured) and he definitely isn't on pace to crack the 40 mark this year! Gagne was a 30 goal scorer his third year into the league.. he hasn't played a complete season since that year. He is still only 23 years old.. I definitely wouldn't classify him as a "30 goal scorer" at this point in his career. It took Iginla 5 seasons to crack 30 goals.. when he reached that point, we all didn't stop and say "Iggy is just a 30 goal scorer". Iginla is the more valuable player at this point in time but I don't think it's nearly as cut and dry as some people claim.. the only reason the Flames might turn down an offer like Gagne, Williams and Pitkanen (I personally don't believe this offer was ever on the table) is because Iggy is the only reason why fans come to games in Calgary.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Volchenkov
People around here tend to overrate the value of prospects - Rotislav Klesla still hasn't done anything and he was just as highly touted as Pitkanen.

Granted Klesla hasn't done anything in the NHL yet but his value immediately upon being drafted 4th overall was likely higher than it is now. People do overrate the value of prospects but a guy like Pitkanen was labeled close to can't miss.. his value was very high and many GM's across the league (including K-Lowe) were drooling over him.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Volchenkov
Justin Williams is OK - but he's mainly a throw in.

Williams is only a throw in? Wow, I wish the Oilers could make a deal for Gagne and Clarke would be obliged to "throw in" Williams. Justin Williams is only 21 years old and is a former first round pick. He's had two very solid seasons in the NHL for a player his age and his value is/was substantially higher than a "throw in" .. Scott Ferguson or Shean Donovan are throw ins, not Just Williams..

Quote:

Originally Posted by billsandsabres
calgary doesn't want to pay drury, but they will pay comrie?

Calgary couldn't afford to pay Drury and Iginla.. on the other hand, Comrie and his agent just made the claim that he'll play for less than $1.13 million (the Oilers qualifying offer). This is an amount that the Flames could definitely afford to add to their payroll..

Volchenkov 11-10-2003 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cerebral
I disagree.. how is Iginla a player who will score 40 goals a year "easily" ? He certainly has the potential to score 40 goals/year but he didn't last year (granted he was injured) and he definitely isn't on pace to crack the 40 mark this year! Gagne was a 30 goal scorer his third year into the league.. he hasn't played a complete season since that year. He is still only 23 years old.. I definitely wouldn't classify him as a "30 goal scorer" at this point in his career. It took Iginla 5 seasons to crack 30 goals.. when he reached that point, we all didn't stop and say "Iggy is just a 30 goal scorer". Iginla is the more valuable player at this point in time but I don't think it's nearly as cut and dry as some people claim.. the only reason the Flames might turn down an offer like Gagne, Williams and Pitkanen (I personally don't believe this offer was ever on the table) is because Iggy is the only reason why fans come to games in Calgary.


Calgary couldn't afford to pay Drury and Iginla.. on the other hand, Comrie and his agent just made the claim that he'll play for less than $1.13 million (the Oilers qualifying offer). This is an amount that the Flames could definitely afford to add to their payroll..


He scored 52 goals two years ago and 35 in 75 last year (that's about 38 over 82 games). He started off very slowly because he was injured - had he been healthy he would have certainly scored 40 goals. Its only 13 games in - you can't count this season yet. Keep in mind Iginla did lead the league in scoring with Craig Conroy and I can't remember the other guy as his linemates. He's a lone scorer on a bad offense and he still puts up very good numbers. Iginla is a franchise player who did singlehandedly lead the league in scoring - players like that are virtually untradeable unless there is no choice. Gagne + Pitkanen is just not enough for a player of Iginla's calibre.

Cerebral 11-10-2003 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Volchenkov
He's a lone scorer on a bad offense and he still puts up very good numbers.

There is a very easy counter-argument to this.. because Iginla is the lone scorer on a bad offence, the entire offence revolves around him. He gets tons of minutes on the powerplay etc. and his stats benefit from this. Another example of a player like this is Donald Audette who suddenly became a point/game player when he was inserted into a very weak Atlanta team in 2000/2001. He had Ray Ferraro and Andrew Brunette as a supporting cast, fairly similar to Conroy and McAmmond. I'm not trying to argue that Iginla is not talented but I think your assessment that he will "easily" score 40 goals/season is a bit flawed..

Volchenkov 11-10-2003 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cerebral
There is a very easy counter-argument to this.. because Iginla is the lone scorer on a bad offence, the entire offence revolves around him. He gets tons of minutes on the powerplay etc. and his stats benefit from this. Another example of a player like this is Donald Audette who suddenly became a point/game player when he was inserted into a very weak Atlanta team in 2000/2001. He had Ray Ferraro and Andrew Brunette as a supporting cast, fairly similar to Conroy and McAmmond. I'm not trying to argue that Iginla is not talented but I think your assessment that he will "easily" score 40 goals/season is a bit flawed..

There is a limit to how much ice time a player can get. I guarantee you if you were to check the minutes of all the top scores that year he wouldn't be too far ahead - and most likely almost exactly even or possibly behind.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:29 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.