HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Milbury confirms Wiemer rumors (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=27077)

Buffaloed 11-10-2003 11:56 AM

Milbury confirms Wiemer rumors

Wiemer Explained : Milbury Details the Latest to Reporters

Following what the GM termed the "expanded coverage" of his Friday meeting with Wiemer, he excused Wiemer from today's practice and the road trip to Philadelphia. He said he is talking to teams about a possible trade of the veteran wing.
--------------
The GM also dismissed the notion that any Wiemer move would be just the first in a series of transactions. "I'm always poking around to see what we can do to get better," he said. "But no, there's not a lot else going on."

Mr. Canucklehead 11-10-2003 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buffaloed
Wiemer Explained : Milbury Details the Latest to Reporters

Following what the GM termed the "expanded coverage" of his Friday meeting with Wiemer, he excused Wiemer from today's practice and the road trip to Philadelphia. He said he is talking to teams about a possible trade of the veteran wing.
--------------
The GM also dismissed the notion that any Wiemer move would be just the first in a series of transactions. "I'm always poking around to see what we can do to get better," he said. "But no, there's not a lot else going on."

Wonder what teams he's talking to?

BTW, this is a little OT, but I was watching the NHL Network the other night and they had a sneak peak at conversations NHL GMs have at draft day. They had Burke talking with his brass saying "I promised I'd take the Sedins, and Don promised he was taking Stefan", but the best one was Mike Milbury talking to someone I didn't recognize:

MM: "I traded Luongo last night."
Other guy: "HOLY--!"

The reaction was just hilarious. :p

Anyways, yes...Wiemer.

~Canucklehead~

Patty Roy 11-10-2003 12:20 PM

I hope Bob Gainey is involved in talks here...i've said it before but i like Weimer and think he could be a nice addition to the Habs 3rd line.

I would personally love to see the Habs add Weimer for a pick, and then get whatever they can get (admittedly it won't be much at all for Juneau, Dackell, Perreault and Audette). Then you have, when healthy:

Richard Zednik-Saku Koivu-Marcel Hossa
Jan Bulis-Mike Ribeiro-Michael Ryder
Jason Weimer-Chad Kilger-Niklas Sundstrom
Darren Langdon-Steve Begin-Jason Ward

Nothing Earth shattering, that's for sure...but you have a significantly more combative group of forwards than you did this time last year.

Wingboy2999 11-10-2003 12:45 PM

I am still really hoping that Wiemer is being pursued heavily by the Redwings. We could use a player like him.

barc the spark 11-10-2003 03:44 PM

I read on another forum,about a possible deal with the Blues.Parrish and Weimer for Walker,Rykroft and Eric Bogineiki(spelling).It was posted from a news article.

Darth Milbury 11-10-2003 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barc the spark
I read on another forum,about a possible deal with the Blues.Parrish and Weimer for Walker,Rykroft and Eric Bogineiki(spelling).It was posted from a news article.

That is not a possible deal. It is wishful thinking. It was never reported by the media. It was manufactured by other Blues' fans as a fantasy deal.

The Isles GM indicated that the deal would not be a larger package deal involving multiple players. Wiemer is definitely gone tommorow,and Parrish is staying for the short term.

Also, the last St. Louis player in that deal (whose name I can't spell, btw) is also out with a shoulder injury.

The Blues aren't getting Parrish, anyway you slice it.

Patty Roy 11-10-2003 04:06 PM

So what do Islanders fans realistically think Weimer will land them in the way of a draft pick? A 3rd? Think a bidding war could bring it up to a 2nd?

If i'm Montreal i give you a 3rd. A 2nd i would really have to think about...

Darth Milbury 11-10-2003 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patty Roy
So what do Islanders fans realistically think Weimer will land them in the way of a draft pick? A 3rd? Think a bidding war could bring it up to a 2nd?

If i'm Montreal i give you a 3rd. A 2nd i would really have to think about...

I don't know. There are a couple of competing trends here. Physical guys who can play have gone for inflated prices in recent years (Varada, Brashear). But, the fact that the Isles announced their plans to deal him and his hefty salary will degrade his trade value.

I suspect the deal is already done with some details holding up the final deal.

Kvashinator12 11-10-2003 04:27 PM

yeah

i think we make a deal with a sweetner for Malhotra....Don't ask why just a hint

Darth Milbury 11-10-2003 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kvashinator12
i think we make a deal with a sweetner for Malhotra....Don't ask why just a hint

I've always liked Malhotra (spelling?) a lot. Just don't see where he would fit in on the Isles. But, I would not hate seeing him acquired.

Jones23 11-10-2003 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kvashinator12

...but Malhotra still makes just over a million!...doesn't that defeat the purpose? :dunno:

Darth Milbury 11-10-2003 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigPeca
...but Malhotra still makes just over a million!...doesn't that defeat the purpose? :dunno:

Good point. I agree.

Peter 11-10-2003 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
Good point. I agree.

Darth, would you take Ruttuu from the Canucks in exchange for Weimer??

Michalek 11-10-2003 08:05 PM

I think that Wiemer wil go for non roster asset. Isles have plenty of young F NHL ready ,so its very unlikely that they would take roster player back.

DaleHunter 11-10-2003 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter
Darth, would you take Ruttuu from the Canucks in exchange for Weimer??

Why are the Nucks fans always wanting to trade Ruutu? From the few nucks games I've seen this year, he's a super pest. Ya he might take some dumb penalties but the agitation pests bring to the table usually out-weighs those dumb penalties. Why do you want to get rid of him?

Avery, Tucker, Nash, Lapperriere, Claude Lemieux, Dale Hunter... all of those guys are great pests and really stir the pot and (usually) get their teams fired up with a good hit, a fight with someone a lot larger than they are, or drawing a key penalty. I dunno... I'd love to have a guy like Ruutu on the Caps' 4th line... not that I'd go very far towards solving our problems, but it would give us something we haven't had since Dale retired.

Ensane 11-10-2003 11:54 PM

I hope Pierre Lacroix is listening in on this. This could viably be that top 6 forward who could bring some muscle to the table. Top 6 in the sense that the Avs are banged up right now, and usually find a way to be banged up on top 6 even if it's only for a game at a time.

Unfortunately with Konowolchuk being acquired earlier last month, I'm not investing too much confidence that the Avs will be near this one. It sucks.

Even though Lacroix has depleted a lot of hte assets, maybe the assets needed to get a deal done for a proven goaltender if needbe later on this season, I'm sure he's got enough to add Wiemer, even if it is to ensure that a team like Vancouver or Detroit doesn't land him, ESPECIALLY if we wouldn't have to give up a rostered player to get him--as it sounds would most likely be the case.

Vatican Roulette 11-11-2003 12:14 AM

Jason Williams/Kopecky for Weimer.

I'd also sweeten the pot with a pick or 2, i love what he would bring to the wings.

Williams and a 2nd?

Kopecky and a 3rd?

although, knowing holland, he'd offer up detroit's 1st...

Belgian Fan 11-11-2003 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ensane
ESPECIALLY if we wouldn't have to give up a rostered player to get him--as it sounds would most likely be the case.

Have to agree with you here, if we could get him for a pick I'm all for it.

It would give us a great third line once everyone is healthy and it would give us two guys with some grit (him and Kono) to plug into our top 6 in case of emergency. And once the likes of Hahl and Svatos (if ever) return, our depth will look great again.

And after that we'd just have to trade Skoula for a veteran stay at homer and somehow add a playoff proven goalie and we're set :rolly:

incawg 11-11-2003 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaleHunter
Why are the Nucks fans always wanting to trade Ruutu? From the few nucks games I've seen this year, he's a super pest. Ya he might take some dumb penalties but the agitation pests bring to the table usually out-weighs those dumb penalties. Why do you want to get rid of him?

Avery, Tucker, Nash, Lapperriere, Claude Lemieux, Dale Hunter... all of those guys are great pests and really stir the pot and (usually) get their teams fired up with a good hit, a fight with someone a lot larger than they are, or drawing a key penalty. I dunno... I'd love to have a guy like Ruutu on the Caps' 4th line... not that I'd go very far towards solving our problems, but it would give us something we haven't had since Dale retired.

You're right. I think that the problem is it's simply a numbers game - if we're to pick somebody up for our 4th line, we gotta get rid of someone. We've already got May, Ruutu, Keane, and Chubarov rotating for the 4th line. I've personally never been a fan of trading Ruutu, however, and that position was solidified in last year's playoffs. He was far and away our most improved player and had a ciritcal role in the St.Louis series turnaround. While he was still a "pest" in the playoffs, he was able to transform his game so that the pest in him took a secondary role while he became primarly a grinder/mucker. Now that we're back in the regular season, he's mainly being a pest again, which, if you ask the wild or their fans, seems to be working quite well.

Trottier 11-11-2003 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pavel datsyuk
Kopecky and a 3rd?

Gets it done for me.

If the Avs were truly interested, the asking price would be D prospect Johnny Boychuk (or a #2).

Ensane 11-11-2003 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trottier
Gets it done for me.

If the Avs were truly interested, the asking price would be D prospect Johnny Boychuk (or a #2).

mmm, if the highest offer would be Kopecky and a 3, then you can take a 2.

I've got a good feeling about Boychuk (who was a #2 when drafted, although was considered a "lock" as a #1)

hipcheck85 11-11-2003 05:57 AM

How about Kloucek from Nashville???

PuckU 11-11-2003 06:01 AM

I know the islanders and rangers are divisional rivals and usually do not make trades, but what about a deal containing

Isles
Anson Carter and Tom Poti

Rangers
Jason Weirmer and Roman Hammerlik

I am not too confident on salaries, but I think the islanders reduce payroll by making this trade.

BigDaddyGarrioch 11-11-2003 06:04 AM

To Ottawa
Jason Weimer

To New York
Petr Shastlivy
4th round pick

:dunno:

eazye 11-11-2003 06:40 AM

[QUOTE=BigDaddyGarrioch]To Ottawa
Jason Weimer

To New York
Petr Shastlivy
4th round pick

Hey BigDaddyGarrioch....You must of read this morning article from Garrioch saying that the Islanders were interested in Schastlivy for Wiemer. My question to you is: Would the Islanders be willing to trade Wiemer to a team they could very well play in the Playoffs?? I hope they do trade Wiemer to Ottawa because he is exactly the 3rd line, gritty LW that Ottawa needs. Imagine the room he could make on the ice for Spezza and Havlat. Please get the deal done!!! I guess Milbury wants to make Yashin happy by adding more Russians to the lineup. Even if Schastlivy turns into another Demitra (DOUBTFUL) at least he won't have been traded for a Christer Olsson (damn you, Pierre Gauthier)!!!