HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Edmonton Oilers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Oilers of Old?? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=27163)

Oiltown16 11-10-2003 06:41 PM

Oilers of Old??

Are the Oilers becoming the Oilers of Old?
Going by the philosophy if they score 4 it won't matter if we score 5??

It sure seems like it, in today's NHL of low scoring and tight defence, the Oilers don't seem to be listening and going back to the 80's style of the the game....run and gun and score, get scored on, run and gun and score.

My question is do you want the team to play like this?? Or tighten up defensively??

Oiltalk 11-10-2003 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oiltown16

It sure seems like it, in today's NHL of low scoring and tight defence, the Oilers don't seem to be listening and going back to the 80's style of the the game....run and gun and score, get scored on, run and gun and score.

My question is do you want the team to play like this?? Or tighten up defensively??

Exactly what I'm trying to get at in the another thread. I don't mind the goal scoring, but defence is what wins games currently in this league. If they can score a lot and play solid defence than I'm all for it. :rolly:

cram 11-10-2003 06:45 PM

Quote:

As long as they win, keep going, I don't care if it's 2-1 or 10-9, that or as long as the goal well doesn't dry up.

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 11-10-2003 06:54 PM

Quote:

Get a 1st line center, and we can win enough games like this.

fuhr 11-10-2003 06:59 PM

I rather they lose and it be entertaining than win playing trap hockey.

kruezer 11-10-2003 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuhr

But what about winning, playing good D and not trapping?

I mean look at Tampa, they don't trap, and they have a VERY potent offense and yet they still play well defensively (team GAA is less than 2). Trapping is equated too much with winning, it really doesn't have to be that way.

rabi_sultan 11-11-2003 03:41 AM

biggest difference is that tampa's defence doesn't have constant brain farts, they have some great centres and they have a powerplay.

Obsessed 11-11-2003 04:19 AM

Make a poll out of it. I love the wide open hockey. The kids on our team love it too. The teams we play against and their fans are enjoying the games against us. Good all around... unless we lose of course.

Oilhitch 11-11-2003 04:52 AM

Quote:

:handclap:

I have been a supporter of this comment for years. It's funny that whenever the Oilers go on an Eastern road swing every team always comments on how refreshing and exciting it is to play wide open hockey.

dawgbone 11-11-2003 04:57 AM

I was listening to the radio broadcast while I was at the game, and the leafs guy (Joe Bowen), made a comment about 2 minutes in that he was having a realy tough time keeping up with the play, especially after the Devils game the night before...

These games are fun, and hey, it keeps things interesting.

Gee Wally 11-11-2003 05:36 AM

Quote:

:handclap:

just passing thru...but I feel the same way ...the trap and clutch and grab are killing this game we all love....