HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Gomez to be Traded? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=272439)

Dwight 07-18-2006 10:15 AM

Gomez to be Traded?

http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/inde...770.xml&coll=1

phil 07-18-2006 10:17 AM

we don't have the cap space to take him

33Roy33 07-18-2006 10:21 AM

In order to take on Gomez I think we would need to send some salary back the other way and I am not sure that is the type of deal the Devils would be looking for. If we can dump off a higher salary player and then aquire Gomez for some younger cheaper guys/prospects that might work, but I can't see the Devils taking any significant salary back the other way as teh whole reason they are trading Gomez is financial.

Tuggy 07-18-2006 10:23 AM

He ain't coming here.

Marc the Habs Fan 07-18-2006 10:25 AM

Lou rarely if ever trades key players to his Eastern conference rivals. Gomez will be going to a WC team.

flappuck 07-18-2006 10:26 AM

I think that if they were to get 5M for two players in return of Gomez, they'd be in good enough shape.

znk 07-18-2006 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tout ptit (Post 6055257)
I think that if they were to get 5M for two players in return of Gomez, they'd be in good enough shape.

I think you think wrong
http://hockeyanalysis.com/?page_id=337

One of the only way it would work is some sort of 3 way deal where we ship a bit of salary to one team....they send prospects or cheap players to NJ and we get Gomez. But I'm convinced Lou is trying to force the team that takes Gomez to take Mogilny with him.

HomaridII 07-18-2006 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by znk (Post 6055449)
I think you think wrong

One of the only way it would work is some sort of 3 way deal where we ship a bit of salary to one team....they send prospects or cheap players to NJ and we get Gomez. But I'm convinced Lou is trying to force the team that takes Gomez to take Mogilny with him.

Exactly. Anyone taking Gomez will have to take Mogilny.. That will allow Lou to resign Gionta.

I doubt Gomez does to an eastern conference team...

Tuggy 07-18-2006 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by znk (Post 6055449)
I think you think wrong

Cool site, thanks.

MathMan 07-18-2006 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomaridII (Post 6055483)
Exactly. Anyone taking Gomez will have to take Mogilny.. That will allow Lou to resign Gionta.

I'm not sure Lou will be able to convince someone to do that unless the other team is reasonably sure of resigning Gomez long term. 8 million for one year of Gomez is overpayment.

flappuck 07-18-2006 11:05 AM

Quote:

Wouldn't you prefer keeping Gomez over Gionta?

And if someone has to take Mogilny with Gomez, not many teams can afford that... Although, if Washington was able to land Gomez to play with Ovechkin, I'd say it's worth it.

Tuggy 07-18-2006 11:08 AM

Quote:

Why should any team "have" to take Mogilny. The Devils are the ones in the tight spot, not the other way around.

Blind Gardien 07-18-2006 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuggy (Post 6055702)
Why should any team "have" to take Mogilny. The Devils are the ones in the tight spot, not the other way around.

IF there was any competition for Gomez, maybe the team that can take Mogilny would have an advantage.

However, the number of teams right now that have the cap space to take on both of them is very small. I don't know how much competition there really will be. :dunno:

Anyway if Washington has the money (they definitely have the cap space), then maybe it works out *IF* they can pre-arrange to get Gomez signed long-term, a la Havlat with the Hawks, because as everybody says, Gomez and AO together would be interesting. Maybe scary. Maybe too scary for LL? But will he have a choice?

And who knows, if they have to pay Mogilny anyway, maybe the Caps are a team that can get him into the lineup too. Good location to cut down on his flying time too.
:dunno:

Rscorpio 07-18-2006 02:25 PM

Cmon BOB ........Dump Ribeiro and trade Abeisher :teach:

Sammy - Gomez - Kovalev :eek:

wholeshow* 07-18-2006 02:35 PM

i really think the caps should go after gomez. ovechkin could be so much better with a past-first kind of center like scott.

if we go after gomez, ribs will have to be involved. Ribs and ferland (who can play in the NHL next season)? The devils can't demand one of our elite prospects because i believe gomez is an UFA next year.

After that to save cap space habs will have to dump a guy like Bonk (not many takers, lol...maybe the pens or caps who need to make the cap minimum).

but realistically speaking, so many teams are close to the cap..adding a player that's between 4-5 million will be difficult and will take a lot of salary maneuvering.

Teufelsdreck 07-18-2006 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuggy (Post 6055702)

Reminds me of the Isles offering their first pick if someone would take Yashin.

CrAzYNiNe 07-18-2006 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck (Post 6058736)
Reminds me of the Isles offering their first pick if someone would take Yashin.

I think someone said that on the board, don't think it's really true, or St. Louis would be stupid for not doing that, because I am sure they have cap room for another year or 2 and they would get a 1st round pick

CH Wizard 07-18-2006 05:53 PM

I'd offer Ribs, Aebisher and a prospect for him

After that I'd waive Bonk.

Artyukhin* 07-18-2006 06:28 PM

"It has been a marriage made in hell with Scott and the Devils (because of salary squabbles and strained relationships with some coaches) -Carlos Gomez father and agent

http://www.nj.com/devils/ledger/inde...770.xml&coll=1

Artyukhin* 07-18-2006 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Great One (Post 6060693)

id trade ryder

JimmyD 07-19-2006 12:16 AM

Does'nt dumping Aebicher give the Habs enough room to sign Gomez for $5 mil? If we had a shot at a guy like Gomez wouldn't it be worth creating room or walking a fine line with the salary cap?

Kimota 07-19-2006 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doug mckenzie (Post 6061337)
id trade ryder

If it`s to the Devils, I agree. That`s my thinking too. Mainly because Ryder is a talented kid with potential and wouldn`t cost the Devils too much at least for another 4-5 years.

Le Tricolore 07-19-2006 06:36 AM

Quote:

why would the Devils want a goalie?

Marksman 07-19-2006 06:41 AM

Quote:

1st: What need do Devils have Aebischer? They have Brodeur.

2nd: Why would Lou help Habs giving us number one center? We should be competing them for the same (about 5-7) spots.

3rd: The trade would send them 3.8 million in salary and more if the prospect was NHL ready. They are on a tight budget for even that. Someone mentioned Ryder ... with all likelyhood hes going to get something between 2-2 million too.

4th: Team that gets Gomez/Gionta would almost certainly receive either Mogilny or Malakhov aswell. Habs do no have that much cap room - without Gainey getting his hands tied behind his back until some contracts expire.

5th: Waiving Bonk would make Habs look even more desperate than Devils waiving Mogilny/Malakhov - atleast hes cheaper and useful on the PK.:dunno:

MathMan 07-19-2006 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marksman2 (Post 6065103)
4th: Team that gets Gomez/Gionta would almost certainly receive either Mogilny or Malakhov aswell.

I doubt that. I don't see anyone paying 8-9 million for one year of Gomez unless some other asset is also going their way.