HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Fixation on Latendresse (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=272446)

HCH 07-18-2006 10:36 AM

Fixation on Latendresse
 
I can't believe the fixation that some on this board have with Latendresse. It is true he is a very good prospect and a French Canadian (which helps the team's marketability in Quebec). In all likelihood he will be a valuable contributor over his career but so many seem to think that the team should revolve around him.

Don't hurt his confidence, he has nothing left to prove in junior, he has worked hard, he is in the best shape of his life.

Sorry guys, but I think he still has a lot to prove. His junior year was okay for someone that was supposed to lead the league in scoring, he didn't earn much ice time at the world juniors and while he is a big strong guy, there are a lot of big strong guys in the NHL. His strength won't give him the same advantage in the pros that it did in junior.

Besides, there are other guys who put up great numbers in junior hockey in addition to Gui. What about their confidence, the hard work they have put in and the numbers they have put up. Do we hand every one of them a job? Of course not. The same should apply here.

As I said, Gui will more than likely become a solid NHL player but he has to earn that spot both on the ice and in the dressing room (the intangibles that we don't know about). All of the other arguments for keeping him are nothing more than cheerleading.

znk 07-18-2006 10:41 AM

You bring good points but sheesh....You should seriously find a less antagonizing way to start your thread. :teach:

ti-vite 07-18-2006 10:53 AM

Anything less than a Calder trophy and I will be deeply dispointed in everyone but Gui.





















:sarcasm:

mt_mtl 07-18-2006 11:02 AM

All I can say, is that a lot of posters just think very highly of him, and expect him to play an integral part on this team. Why would you believe that there is something wrong with that??:dunno: There is nothing wrong with believing any of his ''hype''......Just enjoy being a Habs fan!

All-Star 07-18-2006 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ti-vite (Post 6055522)
Anything less than a Calder trophy and I will be deeply dispointed in everyone but Gui.

Calder? Pfft... I expect nothing less than the Rocket Richard and the Art Ross.

417 07-18-2006 11:13 AM

In all seriousness...I think all the hype by Habs fans is warranted, he impressed the hell out of me when I saw him at the rookie camp last year and couldn't for the life of me understand how he dropped to the 2nd round, I personally think he's our # 1 prospect, and the type of prospect we've been looking for...forever it seems.

He's got ALL the tools to become a premier PF in this league, I even think the concerns with his skating are way exagerrated, had he played in the WHL or OHL, there's absolutely no way he would of dropped out of the top 15 IMO.

He's a playmaker, and that's what i love about his game, he's comfortable either setting up teamates or finishing off the play, the only thing lacking in him right now is maturity (and he's apparently made great strides in that area) and conditionning, and that will come with age. The Habs are paying special attention to him, I think they know they got lucky with such a talent

HF-Addict 07-18-2006 11:14 AM

I think it's more about how team handle their prospects. For example, The Boston Bruins like to send their prospects straight into the NHL, they have sent Joe Thornton, Patrice Bergeron at only 18 years old in the big league...

The Montreal Canadiens, on the other hand, prefer to make its players rot(?) in the juniors, then bring them up.

Personally, I like the Boston Bruins approach the best, so that's why I feel Latendresse should be up with the big club if he has a good pre-season camp.

If he thinks he is ready(and he looks ready) and you send him down, it's gotta be disapointing. In the NHL, he will make mistakes but learn much more from them and he will know what he needs to improve to have a successful career.

417 07-18-2006 11:15 AM

It would be nice if he could work on faceoffs...he'd make the ideal power center IMO.

ti-vite 07-18-2006 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HF-Addict (Post 6055764)
If he thinks he is ready(and he looks ready) and you send him down, it's gotta be disapointing. In the NHL, he will make mistakes but learn much more from them and he will know what he needs to improve to have a successful career.

I think BG and company are a little worried as to the potential amount of rookies and sophomores in the line-up all 'learning' the NHL

goalchenyuk 07-18-2006 11:21 AM

is there a fixation on Latendresse here ? :dunno:

the only fixation i see on this board , is the one of the haters of Ribeiro .

Netro 07-18-2006 11:22 AM

I think the fixation goes beyond Latendresse. We tend to put all prospects in projected line-ups, though perhaps a little more with Latendresse.

If Latendresse, or any prospect, wins a job on the team in training camp, then great, they earned it.

Most teams, including the B's, tend to let players develop in juinor and then the AHL. Only rare exceptions, such as superstars in the making (ie Thortnon) or 18 year olds winning a job in camp (Bergeron), make it to the NHL immediately

FrankMTL 07-18-2006 11:29 AM

i think that some posters love him because he is French Canadian and he has good potential...bu i think a lot of us love him because he is a "power forward" which we sorely lack. He could be from Egypt for all I care...but we have a major need for this type of prospect in our system..I guess being French Canadian is just the icing on the cake. Just by looking at him...everybody can see the potential though...and thats what has everybody excited..

waffledave 07-18-2006 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark0v (Post 6055830)
is there a fixation on Latendresse here ? :dunno:

the only fixation i see on this board , is the one of the haters of Koivu .

I fixed it to better reflect you.

SOLR 07-18-2006 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HF-Addict (Post 6055764)
The Montreal Canadiens, on the other hand, prefer to make its players rot(?) in the juniors, then bring them up.

Personally, I like the Boston Bruins approach the best, so that's why I feel Latendresse should be up with the big club if he has a good pre-season camp.

If he thinks he is ready(and he looks ready) and you send him down, it's gotta be disapointing. In the NHL, he will make mistakes but learn much more from them and he will know what he needs to improve to have a successful career.

My opinion! He could play 8-10 min on the 4th line and be in the best place to learn at this age. He cant play in the AHL but thats his real place. While Kost needs all the icetime we can give, in the case of Lats its not the same, he needs the environment.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Netro (Post 6055837)
Most teams, including the B's, tend to let players develop in juinor and then the AHL. Only rare exceptions, such as superstars in the making (ie Thortnon) or 18 year olds winning a job in camp (Bergeron), make it to the NHL immediately

Bergeron was a surprise at camp, they kept him, just like Lats was last year.

I dont think theres a fixation with lats I think theres a fixation around a power forward, a skillset we dont have here.

bayrider 07-18-2006 11:45 AM

I agree. Lats is being pimped by the media and uneducated fans. They believe he is going to be the Mario Lemieux of the Habs. He isn't even ready to crack the 14th forward spot.

Give him a year or two, let him polish his game, then let him make the jump. He's not gonna learn much if he plays the 4th line like most of you suggest. He'll only get worse. Let him play with the big boys in the AHL, so he can get a taste of what its like. Or you can do what Ottawa did with Spezza and prolong his development for 3 years by sending him up and down to the minors.

JordanStaal#1Fan 07-18-2006 11:51 AM

Guillaume has EVERYTHING to be a fan favorite so it is not surprising at all that he receives that amount of hype from Habs fans. He is french-canadien, pretty good in the interviews, he can score plus he is a poward forward, you know, the LONG awaited power forward. I am on Guillaume's bandwaggon, maybe the hype is too much, maybe it is not but I really want him to succeed and to succeed now. If he plays this year at camp like he did last year I can't see Gainey and Carbo cutting him, it would be, IMO, non-sense. The guy worked all summer on his conditionning, lost weight and improved his skating. We can say that he did everything the staff wanted him to do. Yes he has a slow start last year, but he did score 85+ points in 50 games, which is very good.

HF-Addict 07-18-2006 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bayrider (Post 6056087)
I agree. Lats is being pimped by the media and uneducated fans. They believe he is going to be the Mario Lemieux of the Habs. He isn't even ready to crack the 14th forward spot.

Give him a year or two, let him polish his game, then let him make the jump. He's not gonna learn much if he plays the 4th line like most of you suggest. He'll only get worse. Let him play with the big boys in the AHL, so he can get a taste of what its like. Or you can do what Ottawa did with Spezza and prolong his development for 3 years by sending him up and down to the minors.

I take offense to that.

Joe Thornton started on the 4th line playing 55 games and only producing 7 points the 1st year, he has become one hell of a player.
Patrice Bergeron started on the 3th line and climbed up to the 1st one in only 2 NHL years.

If you believe Lats shouldn't be in the NHL, you are entitled to your opinion, but stop saying people who don't share your opinion to be influenced by the media and uneducated. BTW, as an educate fan yourself, you should know Lats cannot play in the AHL.

SOLR 07-18-2006 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bayrider (Post 6056087)
I agree. Lats is being pimped by the media and uneducated fans. They believe he is going to be the Mario Lemieux of the Habs. He isn't even ready to crack the 14th forward spot.

Give him a year or two, let him polish his game, then let him make the jump. He's not gonna learn much if he plays the 4th line like most of you suggest. He'll only get worse. Let him play with the big boys in the AHL, so he can get a taste of what its like. Or you can do what Ottawa did with Spezza and prolong his development for 3 years by sending him up and down to the minors.

Lats cannot play in the AHL. Hes 19.

Thats the problem, I think most of us here are reasonable(at least haha) fans and we dont think hes ready to be big dude in the NHL. But this year for lats its again between the NHL or the Q...

bayrider 07-18-2006 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HF-Addict (Post 6056164)
I take offense to that. BTW, as an educate fan yourself, you should know Lats cannot play in the AHL.

Nowhere did i say that Lats should play in the AHL this season.

If you read my other posts on Latendresse, you would see thats why I say we should wait. He has to finish 1 year in the Q or go straight to the NHL. I don't think he is NHL ready. So his only other choice is to stay in the Q. Next year he will get his chance in Hamilton, and if needed, he will get called up for games. But as of now, the chances of Latendresse making the Habs lineup is very very slim. Either he plays 2-3mins every few games in the NHL which takes away at his development, or you wait till he finishes his last season in the Q, and gains some experience in the AHL next season.

You can read more about what I think about Latendresse and Kosty, even Grabovsky here: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=272365

SOLR 07-18-2006 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bayrider (Post 6056198)
If you read my other posts on Latendresse, you would see thats why I say we should wait. He has to finish 1 year in the Q or go straight to the NHL. I don't think he is NHL ready. So his only other choice is to stay in the Q. Next year he will get his chance in Hamilton, and if needed, he will get called up for games. But as of now, the chances of Latendresse making the Habs lineup is very very slim. Either he plays 2-3mins every few games in the NHL which takes away at his development, or you wait till he finishes his last season in the Q, and gains some experience in the AHL next season.

The habs 4th line plays between 8 and 10 minutes and we could already use him on the 2nd PP easily. Hes ready for that imo and it would much better for him than the Q, because of his skillset.

bayrider 07-18-2006 12:02 PM

Ya but there is no room for him on the lineup as it is. What about those games where we need Downey's muscle, or Murrays grit? Will Lats replace Begin or Bonk? I don't see that happening. As for the top 3 lines, Kosty is next in line to get the call up. It just wouldnt be fair to him to sit another season in the AHL when out of the rest of our prospects, he has the most experience.

Whats the process of calling up a player from the CHL to the NHL? I know there is some kind of restriction.

JordanStaal#1Fan 07-18-2006 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bayrider (Post 6056266)
Ya but there is no room for him on the lineup as it is. Kosty is next in line.

Whats the process of calling up a player from the CHL to the NHL? I know there is some kind of restriction.

Kosty is next in line? There is no assurance of that! Who cares who's older, what matters is WHO wins the spot. If Latendresse is better than Kostistyn then he deserves to stay.

SOLR 07-18-2006 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bayrider (Post 6056266)
Ya but there is no room for him on the lineup as it is. What about those games where we need Downey's muscle, or Murrays grit? Will Lats replace Begin or Bonk? I don't see that happening. As for the top 3 lines, Kosty is next in line to get the call up. It just wouldnt be fair to him to sit another season in the AHL when out of the rest of our prospects, he has the most experience.

Whats the process of calling up a player from the CHL to the NHL? I know there is some kind of restriction.

Mark my word, if Lats is good at camp and the first 10 games, Bonk is likely to be traded after lats 10th game.(Normal 10 games tryout for 19 years old)

Murray is not safe either.

Kost is in a completely different situation, we cant use him on the 4th line hes not gritty. But Lats compares favorably to anyone in terms of grit, hes a power forward. Remember when you saw Komi hit against the bruins in the playoffs? Lats does that, but in front.

Theres a spot for both on the 23 players lineup imo.

bayrider 07-18-2006 12:15 PM

SOLR: do you know the process for calling up a player from the CHL to the NHL? I know theres some wierd thing like once he is sent down he cant be called up... blah it escapes my memory right now, and I cant find it on the web.

Netro 07-18-2006 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SOLR (Post 6056389)
Mark my word, if Lats is good at camp and the first 10 games, Bonk is likely to be traded after lats 10th game.(Normal 10 games tryout for 19 years old)

Murray is not safe either.

Kost is in a completely different situation, we cant use him on the 4th line hes not gritty. But Lats compares favorably to anyone in terms of grit, hes a power forward. Remember when you saw Komi hit against the bruins in the playoffs? Lats does that, but in front.

Theres a spot for both on the 23 players lineup imo.

Bonk is untradeable with his albatross contract, especially 10 games into the season.

At this point, Latendresse or any other prospect will need to earn their way onto the club. Murray is ahead on the depth chart and someone will have to beat him out.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:37 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.