HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Quebec getting a NHL team? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=272832)

Kimota 07-19-2006 06:43 AM

Quebec getting a NHL team?

Quote:

According to Le journal de Montreal…

Owner of the multiple F1 Teams and co-owner of Red Bull drinks, Dietrich Mateschitz is apparently thinking of bringing a hockey club back to Quebec City. The guy owns two soccer teams, one in Ostrich and the other one in New York and he's owning at the moment 2 cars for NASCAR and those cars will be running by 2007.

Owning a hockey franchise would be the biggest accomplishment for his company because Mateschitz is supposedly a big hockey fan.

Who knows, maybe we will see a new hockey team in Québec City by 2010...
http://www.hockeytraderumors.com/art....html........i

Strange, this really coming out of the blue. What name would they have, The Nordiques or the Red Bulls..? lol

Le Tricolore 07-19-2006 06:44 AM

it won't happen.

Dutch 07-19-2006 08:15 AM

Unless he has 500 millions to spend in a new arena/franchise plus getting a lot of luck, it won't happen.

SOLR 07-19-2006 08:20 AM

Dont be so pessimistic. It probably wont happen, but if theres a will, its possible. Quebec City is by far the biggest hockey market remaining. The major obstacle is a new building for a hockey club.

Habs 4 Life 07-19-2006 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SOLR (Post 6065456)
The major obstacle is a new building for a hockey club.

And that why I think Winnipeg would get it first!

Erngueva 07-19-2006 08:36 AM

I red the article in JdM and the guy seems to LOVE hockey. He owns a team in the Austrian league and seemed pretty serious about buiyng a team in the NHL. He didn't say it would be Quebec which would host the team tough, but said it was a possibility. He also said Redbull and hockey was the perfect match for marketing !

Dutch 07-19-2006 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erngueva (Post 6065553)
I red the article in JdM and the guy seems to LOVE hockey. He owns a team in the Austrian league and seemed pretty serious about buiyng a team in the NHL. He didn't say it would be Quebec which would host the team tough, but said it was a possibility. He also said Redbull and hockey was the perfect match for marketing !

I red the article, and he didn't seemed that serious to me. The way he said it, they're looking at the NHL, but don't have any concrete plans yet or anything.

Just a good way to have yourself some good publicity in the biggest newspaper in the province of Quebec.

Erngueva 07-19-2006 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dutch (Post 6065627)
I red the article, and he didn't seemed that serious to me. The way he said it, they're looking at the NHL, but don't have any concrete plans yet or anything.

Just a good way to have yourself some good publicity in the biggest newspaper in the province of Quebec.

Well, he seemed serious to buy a team in the NHL but at long term..

PK* 07-19-2006 08:59 AM

Ostrich is a wünderbar country.

waffledave 07-19-2006 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SOLR (Post 6065456)
Dont be so pessimistic. It probably wont happen, but if theres a will, its possible. Quebec City is by far the biggest hockey market remaining. The major obstacle is a new building for a hockey club.

I would say Winnepeg is.

SOLR 07-19-2006 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life (Post 6065522)
And that why I think Winnipeg would get it first!

Winnipeg is still a much smaller market than Quebec City.

waffledave 07-19-2006 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SOLR (Post 6065746)
Winnipeg is still a much smaller market than Quebec City.

Winnepeg is 4 times the size of Quebec City.

SOLR 07-19-2006 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waffledave (Post 6065703)
I would say Winnepeg is.

Your joking? 2.5m customer(3rivers,saguenay,all eastern quebec) vs 1.2m(Winnipeg+all saskatchewan), its not on the same map at all.

Quebec City is the 2nd growth city in Canada after Calgary for the past 5 years and is set to become number 1 in the next 5 with the baby boomer retiring in the public sector.

SOLR 07-19-2006 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waffledave (Post 6065765)
Winnepeg is 4 times the size of Quebec City.

Rofl.

waffledave 07-19-2006 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SOLR (Post 6065771)
Your joking? 2.5m customer(3rivers,saguenay,all eastern quebec) vs 1.2m(Winnipeg+all saskatchewan), its not on the same map at all.

Quebec City is the 2nd growth city in Canada after Calgary for the past 5 years and is set to become number 1 in the next 5 with the baby boomer retiring in the public sector.

The majority of games are attended by people who live IN the city. You honestly think Quebec City will be able to sell out 41 home games? You're nuts.

Winnepeg is a much bigger city and will be able to sell out more than just the "big-name" games.

NORiculous 07-19-2006 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waffledave (Post 6065807)
The majority of games are attended by people who live IN the city. You honestly think Quebec City will be able to sell out 41 home games? You're nuts.

Winnepeg is a much bigger city and will be able to sell out more than just the "big-name" games.

I don't think the problem with Quebec was getting people to the arena, it was getting compagnies to buy une loge. (how ever you say that in english)

TheDamned 07-19-2006 09:23 AM

That rumour is pretty old, it was brought up during the Grand-Prix week-end in Montréal. They only said it would be great but they had no real interest in doing it (who does ? )

waffledave 07-19-2006 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NORiculous (Post 6065870)
I don't think the problem with Quebec was getting people to the arena, it was getting compagnies to buy une loge. (how ever you say that in english)

Yes for sure, that a part of my argument as well.

I just don't think you should put NHL teams in non-major Canadian cities. Quebec has one in Montreal and I think that's all it can support. I don't think there should be one in Hamilton either. Winnepeg is hockey starved and they deserve a team bigtime. Quebec has it's team, it doesn't need another one.

Although to be honest, I would welcome a team in QC if it meant no more *****ing about Quebecers on the Habs (they could ***** about Quebecers on the Nords instead).

just_syl 07-19-2006 09:27 AM

According to the 2001 census http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...reas_in_Canada

Quebec is a little bigger than Winnipeg...

SOLR 07-19-2006 09:27 AM

Quote:

Duh Quebec City was selling out 35 games when we were last in the league. Get ur facts straight.

http://www.franco-manitobain.org/ind...html~mainFrame

:help:

waffledave 07-19-2006 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SOLR (Post 6065917)
Duh Quebec City was selling out 35 games when we were last in the league. Get ur facts straight.

http://www.franco-manitobain.org/ind...html~mainFrame

:help:

Your site doesn't work.

How many company boxes did they sell?

waffledave 07-19-2006 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just_Syl (Post 6065909)
According to the 2001 census http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...reas_in_Canada

Yeah that's true, I was speaking in terms of population in the city only.

CH4 07-19-2006 09:33 AM

Quote:

I can't agree with that; people from chicoutimi, rimouski etc.. are willing to do a 2 hours trip to go to a hockey more often then you think, way more then a 5-6 hours trip to go to MTL to see a team you cheer on by lack of choice; I'll always be a fan of the Nordiques but I'd rather cheer for a team in QC province then a rich american team or ontarian team......

don't underestimate the population situated in the north of the province.....

but I think Winipeg is way ahead with his proper arena, which is the biggest problem....

I know we are very far from getting our team back but... that'd be sweet!!!

another problem I see is that a team in Qc city to be successful need to be a winning team (at least 500) because people here knows their hockey and won't pay big money to see lazy millionaires, but good hockey played with heart!

maybe one day.....

SOLR 07-19-2006 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just_Syl (Post 6065909)

We will know more this year after the census, but Quebec as been growing at double, triple the rate of Winnipeg for the past 5 years according to economic data.

+ Add up some Montreal Customers(All the Quebec city natives), Saguenay, eastern Quebec and dont tell me theres more clients in winnipeg or that they deserve a team more.

The problem in Quebec city is the coliseum, we need a new one with corporative lodges, because we compare with Ottawa in terms of possible clients. That a possible investor talks about Quebec City instead of winnipeg should ring a bell.

NORiculous 07-19-2006 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SOLR (Post 6065952)
We will know more this year after the census, but Quebec as been growing at double, triple the rate of Winnipeg for the past 5 years according to economic data.

+ Add up some Montreal Customers(All the Quebec city natives), Saguenay, eastern Quebec and dont tell me theres more clients in winnipeg or that they deserve a team more.

The problem in Quebec city is the coliseum, we need a new one with corporative lodges, because we compare with Ottawa in terms of possible clients. That a possible investor talks about Quebec City instead of winnipeg should ring a bell.

They didn't get it thats why they moved. So yes, they need one for a new team.

Quote:

Originally Posted by waffledave (Post 6065945)
Yeah that's true, I was speaking in terms of population in the city only.

You can't count the area out; they will go see some games too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CH4THECUP (Post 6065950)
I can't agree with that; people from chicoutimi, rimouski etc.. are willing to do a 2 hours trip to go to a hockey more often then you think, way more then a 5-6 hours trip to go to MTL to see a team you cheer on by lack of choice; I'll always be a fan of the Nordiques but I'd rather cheer for a team in QC province then a rich american team or ontarian team......

don't underestimate the population situated in the north of the province.....

but I think Winipeg is way ahead with his proper arena, which is the biggest problem....

I know we are very far from getting our team back but... that'd be sweet!!!

another problem I see is that a team in Qc city to be successful need to be a winning team (at least 500) because people here knows their hockey and won't pay big money to see lazy millionaires, but good hockey played with heart!

maybe one day.....

Qc had the worse team of the NHL and had packed home games for the 5 years in a row... Then they get the best team record ever (in 1993) lose to the Habs in the playoffs after going up 2-0. Are moved the next year and win the cup in Denver.

It is a fact that they were selling less tickets when the team was having its best year ever then when it was down the drain.