HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Who will be our top face-off guys? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=273118)

didouche 07-19-2006 09:47 PM

Who will be our top face-off guys?

Hello people,

I want to talk about something that is very important in hockey and in the sucess you can have during an NHL season and playoffs

FACE-OFFS

who will are main guys?

Carolina and edmonton were really good in that departement

do we only have koivu and plekanek?

Seb 07-19-2006 09:51 PM

Bonk is effective in faceoffs.

sXe 07-19-2006 09:52 PM

We can always use Bonk if we get desperate.

MM425 07-19-2006 09:54 PM

Both Koivu/Pleckanek can be 55%-60% faceoff guys. Bonk and Begin are also good at faceoffs... I don't think the Habs need to worry too much in the faceoff Dept.

didouche 07-19-2006 10:08 PM

2005-2006 Regular season Canadiens face-off leaders
Saku Koivu 53.8% Total taken: 1412
Radek Bonk 47.4% Total taken: 963
Mike Ribeiro 44.7% Total taken: 843
Tomas Plekanec 50.3% Total taken: 708
Steve Bégin 50.1% Total taken: 573

Playoffs Taken
RADEK BONK 99 53.5%
TOMAS PLEKANEC 89 58.4 %
MIKE RIBEIRO 78 53.8%
SAKU KOIVU 46 54.3%
STEVE BEGIN 20 55.0%

didouche 07-19-2006 10:19 PM

Mike Johnson 44% face off percentage in 05-06

Samsonov is not a factor in this debate

Anksun 07-19-2006 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by didouche (Post 6073342)
2005-2006 Regular season Canadiens face-off leaders
Saku Koivu 53.8% Total taken: 1412
Radek Bonk 47.4% Total taken: 963
Mike Ribeiro 44.7% Total taken: 843
Tomas Plekanec 50.3% Total taken: 708
Steve Bégin 50.1% Total taken: 573

Playoffs Taken
RADEK BONK 99 53.5%
TOMAS PLEKANEC 89 58.4 %
MIKE RIBEIRO 78 53.8%
SAKU KOIVU 46 54.3%
STEVE BEGIN 20 55.0%

Imo, Faceoffs are an important part of the game but it's been overrated a bit in the regular season. Most team will finish with about 50% and a few important faceoffs here and there in the season makes a Win but this stat become huge in the playoffs imo.

At that stage of the season, againsnt the same team for 5-6-7 games, the faceoffs becomes instrumental in building (and keeping) some momentum. In this regard, the coaching staff become an integral part of the "faceoffs" as the matchups are importants and you can foccuss on special things at practices (to adapted to a specific style).

I wouldnt be concerned with a guy like Carbonneau and Muller behind the bench. Last playoffs, that "average" team in the faceoff department found a way to own that statistic against a top 5 team (Carolina). Ribeiro didnt become a top faceoff man in a milli-second ya know, neither did Bonk or Plekanec but they were used in the proper context to exploited their attributes.

I'm pleased with the Coaching. A Top faceoff man (ala Brindamour) could be a nice addition in the crucial moments, but there are other ways to win those faceoffs as was show by the habs in the last playoffs (when they should have been owned).

bayrider 07-19-2006 10:57 PM

Pleks is good on the faceoff and got better as the season progressed

ryanghg 07-19-2006 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bayrider (Post 6073715)

I agree....that's why he was used in the important situations in the playoffs... and he won most of them.

Marksman 07-20-2006 05:46 AM

Chris Higgins had also good success rate in draw (51.1) although he only took 45 of them. He was trained to be a centerman, I bet he could do even better if Habs decided to slide him back to middle at some point.

Canadiens could become elite team in faceoff department, if it they wanted, and it was *tat* important, by just replacing the weakest link Ribeiro. Which is why I'd like to see above mentioned Higgins on his wing - to take some of the difficult draws for him.

schwartzy 07-20-2006 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bayrider (Post 6073715)

i agree....i really think he upped his game just prior and during the playoffs. can't wait to see him play this year..

Qui Gon Dave 07-20-2006 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marksman2 (Post 6074964)
Canadiens could become elite team in faceoff department, if it they wanted, and it was *tat* important, by just replacing the weakest link Ribeiro. Which is why I'd like to see above mentioned Higgins on his wing - to take some of the difficult draws for him.

I remember reading an article in the online Montreal Gazette a few years back. It had a few paragraphs about how Saku was helping a young Mike Ribeiro adapt to the position of centre in the NHL and one of the things they were working on was faceoffs. Saku commented how Mike had really improved, to the point where Saku had difficulty winning one against him. So with that in mind its a bit of a suprise to see that Mike didn't do so well on them last year. I also seem to remember hearing that one of the reasons Higgins was switched away from centre was because he struggled on faceoffs. Don't know how valid that is though. Anyways, at least we have some options available to us should we need them.

Fozz 07-20-2006 06:37 AM

Koivu of course.

Why should that change? He did a great job taking all the key faceoffs last year.

Montrealer 07-20-2006 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qui Gon Dave (Post 6075050)
I remember reading an article in the online Montreal Gazette a few years back. It had a few paragraphs about how Saku was helping a young Mike Ribeiro adapt to the position of centre in the NHL and one of the things they were working on was faceoffs. Saku commented how Mike had really improved, to the point where Saku had difficulty winning one against him. So with that in mind its a bit of a suprise to see that Mike didn't do so well on them last year. I also seem to remember hearing that one of the reasons Higgins was switched away from centre was because he struggled on faceoffs. Don't know how valid that is though. Anyways, at least we have some options available to us should we need them.

I'm guessing that one-on-one practice like that let Ribeiro get used to Koivu's faceoff technique enough that he had pretty good success against our captain. That being said, 45% of faceoffs is probably better than he was hitting in his first seasons... I think he was more of a 40% guy on faceoffs back then.

45% isn't horrible (it's essentially 1 faceoff loss more a game than a 50% rate), and I'm pretty sure that he'll be a 50% guy by the time he's 30; centremen tend to get better as they get older (for obvious reasons)

Ludo 07-20-2006 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mackattack (Post 6073242)
I don't think the Habs need to worry too much in the faceoff Dept.

Agreed.

Beakermania* 07-20-2006 07:40 AM

Not everyone in the league can be better than 50%. So if three of our 4 centremen can be there, we should be okay.

Marksman 07-20-2006 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qui Gon Dave (Post 6075050)

Well ... could it be Koivu has been concentrating to Higgins over Ribeiro when they practice?

Habs 4 Life 07-20-2006 08:05 AM

Plekanec
Begin
Koivu
Ribeiro

I think Plekanec will surprise us all this season.I can't wait

Beakermania* 07-20-2006 08:14 AM

I think they should have a seperate faceoff stat that removes the faceoffs at Centre Ice and the Offside dots, (all neutral zone faceoffs). It is the key Offensive and Defensive zone ones that are important.

Habs4Lyfe 07-20-2006 08:46 AM

I still can't believe Bob had a brain fart last year in the playoffs and used Murray on such an important face off in our zone instead of having another center (Bonk) out there :banghead:

didouche 07-21-2006 06:27 AM

wow plz don't remind me of that:madfire: :doh: