HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Ribeiro (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=27442)

doc lafleur 11-11-2003 06:01 PM

Ribeiro
 
WHAT DO YOU GUY'S THINK OF HIS PRODUCTION ? Seem to me not much production is going on there.

Bring_Bak_Damphousse 11-11-2003 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doc lafleur
WHAT DO YOU GUY'S THINK OF HIS PRODUCTION ? Seem to me not much production is going on there.

The way I look at it any production we get from this guy is a bonus. He`s never been givin much credit from the non Habs fans on this board. He isn`t capable of throwing the body around or scoring 50 goals a season. But he`s a relatively capable 2nd line center who can fill in on the first line if need be. I`ve been pretty happy with what this guy has done for us the past 2 seasons.

MontrealSF 11-11-2003 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doc lafleur
WHAT DO YOU GUY'S THINK OF HIS PRODUCTION ? Seem to me not much production is going on there.

What do you pick Ribeiro, one of them who has played great...
How about Richard Zednik's 2 goal ?

Ribeiro is just fine.

StanleyCH25 11-11-2003 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doc lafleur
WHAT DO YOU GUY'S THINK OF HIS PRODUCTION ? Seem to me not much production is going on there.

I hate to point this out to you but he's currently the points leader on Montreal. Next behind him is Sheldon Souray (a defenseman???).

So, next time you decide to pick on a Montreal player, why not look at the overall picture first? I mean, isn't it obvious to you that the entire team is not exactly swimming in goals? Hell, our leading GOAL scorer is Sheldon Souray.

So ya.. Ribeiro (on the second line) is obviously doing nothing for our team. I'll let you figure out what that means about the rest of the TOP line players.

Dutchy 11-11-2003 07:35 PM

Ribeiro is doing great, give him some breathing room, will ya??

The Habs can't seem to score, and that's either because we haven't found the right combination yet or because the chemistry just isn't there. Either way, he's creating great things on the ice even if he isn't on the score sheet.

P.S. Calm down on Caps Lock on your next post, please... :)

Kirk Muller 11-11-2003 08:52 PM

People can say all they want, but the fact is he is not producing, and is still a defensive liability. At least when people talk about lack of production from guys like Bulis and Hossa, they are at least contributing to the defensive side of the game.

Ribeiro is "doing great" and "playing good." What games are you watching. He has been easily contained for almost ten games now.

Anyhow, this debate about Ribeiro has went on for awhile now, and will continue, it isn't going to change. Ribeiro has played poorly for 8 or 9 games now. If anyone should have been benched to get Perreault back in the lineup, it was him. He needs to have the fire lit under his ass, not Hossa.

Some people obviously love Ribeiro, much like the Montreal media, and others well, while they would love to see him do great, realize doing a couple fancy moves, a couple of nice passes a game doesn't offset his long pointless droughts, and his inability to play defense.

Munchausen 11-11-2003 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nash13
People can say all they want, but the fact is he is not producing, and is still a defensive liability. At least when people talk about lack of production from guys like Bulis and Hossa, they are at least contributing to the defensive side of the game.

Ribeiro is "doing great" and "playing good." What games are you watching. He has been easily contained for almost ten games now.

Anyhow, this debate about Ribeiro has went on for awhile now, and will continue, it isn't going to change. Ribeiro has played poorly for 8 or 9 games now. If anyone should have been benched to get Perreault back in the lineup, it was him. He needs to have the fire lit under his ass, not Hossa.

Some people obviously love Ribeiro, much like the Montreal media, and others well, while they would love to see him do great, realize doing a couple fancy moves, a couple of nice passes a game doesn't offset his long pointless droughts, and his inability to play defense.

I still like Ribeiro better than Perreault just for the fact that he looks better defensively (meaning bellow average) and can feed his wingers. But I don't see Ribeiro as our long term 2nd line center. Too slow and pretty one-dimensional. I want to see what Plekanec and Higgins can do there for us. A good move would be to call up Plekanec later in the year as he played with both Hossa and Ryder last year and would bring speed to that line, a thing that will never come from Ribeiro.

Wildbeliefs 11-11-2003 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nash13
People can say all they want, but the fact is he is not producing, and is still a defensive liability. At least when people talk about lack of production from guys like Bulis and Hossa, they are at least contributing to the defensive side of the game.

...

In my mind, a defensive liability tends to stand out a lot, either by not covering his man, by coughing up the puck, etc. Basically, he gets noticed by his bad plays on defense. I've only missed a few games since the beginning of the season, but I have to say that so far I haven't noticed Ribeiro make any flagrant mistakes on defense that cost the Habs in terms of goals (He may have, but I haven't noticed).

And also, if you consider Ribeiro a defensive liability with his +/- of 0, what does that make the other 4 forwards with negative ratings? (in case you're wondering, the 4 are Audette (-4), Perreault (-3), Hossa (-3), Langdon (-1))

I don't consider myself to be a raving Ribeiro lunatic, but I do enjoy his presence because:
1) I'm biased towards the younger players
2) I will choose him any day over Perreault, who imo IS a defensive liability.
3) I'm a sucker for flashy moves, as useless as they may be. :p

CHareth 11-11-2003 09:47 PM

I'm curious to know what Ribeiro has done or who he has paid off to get so much praise. I like two things about him over Perreault: (1) he is cheaper; and (2) he is not as horrible defensively (which isn't really saying much). He got 7 points in his first 7 games, and has 2 in his last 9. Yet people continue to stand up for him and say how fine he's playing and what he's creating out there. If that's the case, I'd hate to think of what will happen when he isn't playing fine or when he isn't creating. As Nash13 pointed out, this guy seriously needs to have a fire lit under him because he's not doing a whole lot. I don't buy for a second that he'd be burning up the scoresheet if he had two hulking or more talented linemates either. How often is that song going to be played?

Wildbeliefs 11-11-2003 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anon
I'm curious to know what Ribeiro has done or who he has paid off to get so much praise. I like two things about him over Perreault: (1) he is cheaper; and (2) he is not as horrible defensively (which isn't really saying much). He got 7 points in his first 7 games, and has 2 in his last 9. Yet people continue to stand up for him and say how fine he's playing and what he's creating out there. If that's the case, I'd hate to think of what will happen when he isn't playing fine or when he isn't creating. As Nash13 pointed out, this guy seriously needs to have a fire lit under him because he's not doing a whole lot. I don't buy for a second that he'd be burning up the scoresheet if he had two hulking or more talented linemates either. How often is that song going to be played?

I think one of the main reasons why people like him is that he at least *tries* to put on a show. He might not be raking in the points, he might not be fast, and he might not be a defensive specialist, BUT he's fun to watch... It sure beats watching our third line cycle the puck...

CHareth 11-11-2003 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wildbeliefs
I think one of the main reasons why people like him is that he at least *tries* to put on a show. He might not be raking in the points, he might not be fast, and he might not be a defensive specialist, BUT he's fun to watch... It sure beats watching our third line cycle the puck...

He *tries* to put on a show, and he often fails. I'd like him if he actually tried to do some things to improve his game in order to *actually* put on a show (no, goals aren't necessary, so long as he is legitimately doing something out there and being a threat instead of losing the puck). If he wants to try some dazzling stickhandling, that's cool, but maybe he should learn how to do it at full speed with guys coming after him. If he wants to go by a couple of defenders, that's cool too, but maybe he should work on his foot speed first. But Ribeiro is doing his same old routine in slow motion and just hoping not to get bumped off the puck, and he's tiresome. I hardly find that exciting or worth liking.

Wildbeliefs 11-11-2003 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anon
He *tries* to put on a show, and he often fails. I'd like him if he actually tried to do some things to improve his game in order to *actually* put on a show (no, goals aren't necessary, so long as he is legitimately doing something out there and being a threat instead of losing the puck). If he wants to try some dazzling stickhandling, that's cool, but maybe he should learn how to do it at full speed with guys coming after him. If he wants to go by a couple of defenders, that's cool too, but maybe he should work on his foot speed first. But Ribeiro is doing his same old routine in slow motion and just hoping not to get bumped off the puck, and he's tiresome. I hardly find that exciting or worth liking.

I'm not saying he doesn't have work to do to become a decent NHLer, like improving foot speed and such, but the fact remains that just having a player on the team that has his set of hands and his potential is exciting.

I'm patient with Ribeiro, because he's still young and has the time to mature and improve, whereas with, for example, Perreault, I know what I'm going to get from him and I know that he's not going to surprise me. He might score, heck he might even score a hat trick, but I *know* he won't dazzle me.

I don't know if you understand my point of view or not... Don't get me wrong though: as I said before, I'm not a Ribeiro fanboy. What I am a fan of is his potential.

CHareth 11-11-2003 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wildbeliefs
I don't know if you understand my point of view or not... Don't get me wrong though: as I said before, I'm not a Ribeiro fanboy. What I am a fan of is his potential.

Oh ye of great faith! :D Unlike you, I don't have a lot of faith in his potential - never did. I had hoped he'd convert me, but he still hasn't. The more he plays and continues to be his same old self, the more it pains me to see him in that jersey.

Wildbeliefs 11-11-2003 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anon
Oh ye of great faith! :D Unlike you, I don't have a lot of faith in his potential - never did. I had hoped he'd convert me, but he still hasn't. The more he plays and continues to be his same old self, the more it pains me to see him in that jersey.

<shrugs>

My level of patience is very high... well, it has to be; I'm a programmer. :p

If he gets a full season on a top 2 line and doesn't improve, then I'll be disappointed.

MTLGuy 11-12-2003 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anon
I'm curious to know what Ribeiro has done or who he has paid off to get so much praise. I like two things about him over Perreault: (1) he is cheaper; and (2) he is not as horrible defensively (which isn't really saying much). He got 7 points in his first 7 games, and has 2 in his last 9. Yet people continue to stand up for him and say how fine he's playing and what he's creating out there. If that's the case, I'd hate to think of what will happen when he isn't playing fine or when he isn't creating. As Nash13 pointed out, this guy seriously needs to have a fire lit under him because he's not doing a whole lot. I don't buy for a second that he'd be burning up the scoresheet if he had two hulking or more talented linemates either. How often is that song going to be played?

Actually the way things are going you should all leave the players name blank and put whatever name you feel like. No forward is playing well whether it's defensively or offensively. :dunno:

HabsoluteFate 11-12-2003 03:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wildbeliefs
<shrugs>

My level of patience is very high... well, it has to be; I'm a programmer. :p

If he gets a full season on a top 2 line and doesn't improve, then I'll be disappointed.

Ironic isnt it that i didnt become an artist because I didnt have the patience....and now i need all the patience in the world as a developer ;)

What more do you guys want from the guy? He's tops in points yet people still criticise him...he's actually impressed me defensively. keep in mind as a center he has more defensive responsiblities than someone like Hossa, definetely an upgrade over Perreault. He is stronger along the boards than people give him credit for to boot, he still has room for improvements but if you havent noticed even if he is "too flashy" and all that he's still Montreal's top point getter....

on the other hand that tells us how horrible our forwards are again this year

Habber 11-12-2003 03:24 AM

Definately have to agree with Nash13. I haven't seen a whole lot of positives from Ribeiro the last 8 or so games. He had a great start, but that was before teams had seen him on film and now that they have seen him, they're keying on him a bit and totally shutting him down.

Although he may be the best 2nd line centre we have right now, we’re never going to make the jump to the next level with Ribs on the second line. I just don’t see a whole lot of potential for him to greatly improve any of his weaknesses.

Vasculio 11-12-2003 05:27 AM

Everytime I see the puck near Ribeiro, I know he will try something that won't automatically fail. He's one of the rare players I really like. Why? Because he plays hockey for the fans. He seems to want to be a hero (with all the hype he got, no wonder why) but sorrily, he's almost the only one really wanting that. He isn't the best player, he's not great defensively, but seriously, do you, FANS, like the way hockey is played right now ?? Defensive hockey is KILLING the game, and the fans enthusiasm by the way. Ribeiro don't want to play defense, he want to play offense, so does HOCKEY FANS I suppose...

Cariboux 11-12-2003 05:37 AM

Ribeiro is lot better than last year. He improved a lot his defensive play. I know he's not as good as a defensive specialist, but look at the passes he interceps, he's giving checks like he's never done in the past. I always see him helping his D-MEN. He creates a lot of great scoring chances, but there is not a sniper to play with him.

I liked the Perreault-Ribeiro-Ryder line last night, I think it can be very productive.

Leprechaun 11-12-2003 06:25 AM

Prediction time:

In 3 years, Mike Ribeiro will be our center on the first line, and a good one too. :yo:

He's the one in the Habs with the better hockey sense and a vision incredible of the ice. He learned to play defense with his sense of anticipation.


And please, shut up with the size thing...Gretzsky wasn't big... :dunno:

Bob Bastards 11-12-2003 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leprechaun
Prediction time:

In 3 years, Mike Ribeiro will be our center on the first line, and a good one too. :yo:

He's the one in the Habs with the better hockey sense and a vision incredible of the ice. He learned to play defense with his sense of anticipation.


And please, shut up with the size thing...Gretzsky wasn't big... :dunno:

-Mike will never be a first line center.
-He is no Gretzsky.
-But I give to you that he have to most incredible hockey sense on the Habs.

I don't think he can be a good first line center, but with is hockey sense and if he continue to put is game together he can become a really good second line center, with the help of two good gritty line mate. He is also a plus on PP.
Rib is the perfect example of bipolar psychology studie, you really like him or you really hate him, but no one can deny that this kid have the nose to make thing happen. Give him some time, its is first year as a full time offensive line center, if by the end of the year he is not in the top 4 of our team in point, trade him and get going, but till then an to the last news, he was the best pointer on our team. He could not be that bad...

Rahan 11-12-2003 10:55 AM

He did some hella nice defensive plays yesterday, I was impressed.

goalchenyuk 11-12-2003 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doc lafleur
WHAT DO YOU GUY'S THINK OF HIS PRODUCTION ? Seem to me not much production is going on there.

canadians fans are incredible...what do you expect from him ?

last two years he played with goons or roleplayers that are now playing in the ahl . This year , for the first time , a coach give him players with skill ok he don't get 2 points per game , but wtf, this guy is still a 23 years old guy , and he was playing with a 21 years old one and a self fish player that , at that time need a soccer goal net to be able to scores .

he ' s not a first line center , Why should Ribeiro be the prodigal son? Why is it that he has to produce with the regularity of a veteran player? Why does the fact that he's, right now, the most productive player after 16 games not good enough for this 23 year old

Bulis scored his first when on the ice with Ribeiro... Ryder had been cold for half a dozen games before joining Ribs... and watch how he is playing now..

Habsaku 11-12-2003 12:37 PM

People are way too hard on Ribeiro. I've never been excited about him like much of the hungry media and in fact, I hated his attitude and his work ethic. But this year, he has improved all aspects of his game and he gives his best everynight. His improvement over the last 3 years has been considerable. If he gets 50 points, then I'll know we have a very good center for years to come, because even if he doesn't try, he'll get bigger then 170Lbs. Lets not forget he's only 23 and he's playing on a top line for the first time in his career. He is a very big upgrade over Perreault because he isn't afraid to go into corners or behind the net, he also makes his wingers better.


You cannot deny the fact that Ribeiro has gotten stronger, faster, smarter and more commited to playing the best he can. With a few more pounds and a bit more work on his skating, he'll be very good.


He needs to get to about 190 lbs with Michael Ryder type speed(not skating).

Kirk Muller 11-12-2003 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habsaku
People are way too hard on Ribeiro. I've never been excited about him like much of the hungry media and in fact, I hated his attitude and his work ethic. But this year, he has improved all aspects of his game and he gives his best everynight. His improvement over the last 3 years has been considerable. If he gets 50 points, then I'll know we have a very good center for years to come, because even if he doesn't try, he'll get bigger then 170Lbs. Lets not forget he's only 23 and he's playing on a top line for the first time in his career. He is a very big upgrade over Perreault because he isn't afraid to go into corners or behind the net, he also makes his wingers better.


You cannot deny the fact that Ribeiro has gotten stronger, faster, smarter and more commited to playing the best he can. With a few more pounds and a bit more work on his skating, he'll be very good.


He needs to get to about 190 lbs with Michael Ryder type speed(not skating).

Frankly I don't think people are hard enough on Ribeiro. Its very apparent from this thread.

He has improved aspects of his game, but the fact is, they couldn't have been any worse to begin with. Its like a student who goes from an F to a D-, it has made little difference.

Ribeiro is on pace for about 40 points. The MAJOR problem is they come in bunches. Games where he gets two or three points, and then is invisible for 6 or 7 games. You simply can't have a second line centre who is this inconsistent and expect to make the playoffs. 50 points is not enough for a second line centre, who is a minus player and gets those 50 points over the course of 35 games, and is missing in action for the rest of the season. The similiarities in his production (not his style of play) is eerily similiar to Perreault.

No one denies Ribeiro hasn't improved aspects of his game, but you can't deny he has done nothing for the last 9 games and has really to be politely, played like crap. We have seen this before with him.

And at 23, I would highly doubt he can put on more muscle and weight. He has tried for years now unsuccessfully, unless he wasn't actually working out as people would like us to believe.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:37 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.