HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Gainey quoted in the Montreal Gazette " NO MORE MOVES (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=274592)

albertonhabsfan 07-24-2006 08:14 PM

Gainey quoted in the Montreal Gazette " NO MORE MOVES

There is a article in today's gazette stating Gainey's quote, he will make no more moves, we have 23 players under contract and hopes team chemistry can come together quicker this upcoming season. Looking for a healthy Begin and Bonk to step up and says Samsanov is a improvement over Bulis. Check it out in the gazette. Sorry, not sure how to add the link for the story, but it is there.

furax 07-24-2006 08:19 PM

http://www.canada.com/montrealgazett...d41bee&k=66392

Quote:

It was a busy summer for Gainey, but he got his last player under contract on Sunday when winger Michael Ryder avoided arbitration to sign a $2.2-million US, one-year deal.

Gainey moved out forwards Richard Zednik, Niklas Sundstrom and Jan Bulis, who signed Monday as a free agent with Vancouver, and brought in forwards Mike Johnson from Phoenix and Sergei Samsonov from Edmonton.

"I don't see making any more moves," Gainey said. "We have 23 players under contract."

He said replacing Bulis with Samsonov was "an improvement," and hopes that by having veterans like Steve Begin and Radek Bonk healthy, team chemistry will come together earlier than it did last season.

But drafting and developing young players was still the team's priority, he said.

Cayouche5 07-24-2006 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by furax (Post 6114173)

This means ''We are definitely looking to add one more player''

albertonhabsfan 07-24-2006 08:34 PM

Thanks Furax, how do you add those quotes and links anyway, lol?

x-bob 07-24-2006 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albertonhabsfan (Post 6114121)
There is a article in today's gazette stating Gainey's quote, he will make no more moves, we have 23 players under contract and hopes team chemistry can come together quicker this upcoming season. Looking for a healthy Begin and Bonk to step up and says Samsanov is a improvement over Bulis. Check it out in the gazette. Sorry, not sure how to add the link for the story, but it is there.

This doesn't mean anything IMO. If a good player becomes available that BG didn't forsee then this might change completly.

Team_Spirit 07-24-2006 08:43 PM

Thanks for the report. I think Gainey tell the truth , unless some teams come up with a good offer.

montreal 07-24-2006 08:49 PM

Gainey said he was not finished for the summer though, saying that they are looking at 1-2 more players for Hamilton.

Toro 07-24-2006 09:03 PM

It looks as though were set and ready to go. Already for someone like Latendresse to make the team he has to beat out a vet like Mike johnson or maybe Murray goes to hamilton for a while so Latendress gets 10 games.Even kostitsyn or grabovsky do not have a spot open.

There is no spots open right now for a young player

But seriously It will be extremely hard for latendress to make the team unless there is an injury or 2 at the start of the season.

x-bob 07-24-2006 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toro (Post 6114671)
It looks as though were set and ready to go. Already for someone like Latendresse to make the team he has to beat out a vet like Mike johnson or maybe Murray goes to hamilton for a while so Latendress gets 10 games.Even kostitsyn or grabovsky do not have a spot open.

But seriously It will be extremely hard for latendress to make the team unless there is an injury or 2 at the start of the season.

You seriously think that Mike Johnsson will be outed by a rookie. Johnsson isn't a 4th line plug in. He could easily play on our 2nd line.

furax 07-24-2006 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albertonhabsfan (Post 6114342)
Thanks Furax, how do you add those quotes and links anyway, lol?

http://hfboards.com/misc.php?do=bbcode

there's a vbcode command to quote... and for the link... i just paste it here...

furax 07-24-2006 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toro (Post 6114671)

Well we usually keep a 7th defence man (streit) and 2 extra forwards (downey is one of them)

At the moment there's one spot available... that spot will probably be filled by Kostitsyn. Perezhogin had that spot at the beginning of last season and manage to get in the line-up after zednik got injured in the opening game...

HabuseMoi 07-24-2006 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albertonhabsfan (Post 6114121)
There is a article in today's gazette stating Gainey's quote, he will make no more moves, we have 23 players under contract and hopes team chemistry can come together quicker this upcoming season. Looking for a healthy Begin and Bonk to step up and says Samsonov is a improvement over Bulis. Check it out in the gazette. Sorry, not sure how to add the link for the story, but it is there.

noooooo Reeeeally Bob? :sarcasm:

znk 07-24-2006 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cayouche5 (Post 6114261)
This means ''We are definitely looking to add one more player''

Gainey never lies.

znk 07-24-2006 10:05 PM

Also Gainey said on the team 990 that Souray never asked to be traded, the he only spoke with him once this summer and that Souray spent most of his summer in montreal and was training at the teams facilities.

Ape Clutch 07-24-2006 10:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
All I have to say is...

Would u mess with this guy's Daughter??

Belso 07-24-2006 10:45 PM

I agree with many posters that if a good better player becomes available, it woulnd't harm investigating. But Gainey is confident that this team, as he said, could very well Gel early...

Toro 07-24-2006 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by x-bob (Post 6114689)
You seriously think that Mike Johnsson will be outed by a rookie. Johnsson isn't a 4th line plug in. He could easily play on our 2nd line.

Im just saying that where can a rookie fit on this team???

Higgins Koivu Ryder
Samsonov Ribs Kovalev
Perez Plek's johnson
Begin Bonk Murray

Downey

Perez will make the team, he did pretty well in the playoffs he showed improvement.

Who can kostitsyn or lats, grabovski,chipper,etc replace?

it will have to be a regular not an extra like downey. the young player will need to play everygame.

Whitesnake 07-24-2006 10:52 PM

''I don't see making any more moves, we have 23 players under contracts''.

If we want to read this as it is it could mean:

No more moves....or

He's not saying, we won't but don't see not as conclusive. And no more moves 'cause of the contracts signed, means we're not going to add players to the 23 list, but doesn't exclude giving 2 to receive 1......

But again, he might not do anything and still leaves the door open for a great surprise at camp from our rookies, best candidates are Lapierre, Ferland, Kostitsyn, outside shot to Latendresse and Grabovsky.....I don't see Côté having a chance at all with the guys we have even though I like him.

Whitesnake 07-24-2006 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by znk (Post 6115272)
Also Gainey said on the team 990 that Souray never asked to be traded, the he only spoke with him once this summer and that Souray spent most of his summer in montreal and was training at the teams facilities.

To be honest, I don't know what the fuss about Souray asking or not to be trading. I don't think it's the point at all. The real point is to know if he's interested in signing long term or if we're going to lose him for nothing next summer. If so, well even if he didn't ask anything, we will have to move him later on this year....

znk 07-24-2006 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whitesnake (Post 6115749)
To be honest, I don't know what the fuss about Souray asking or not to be trading. I don't think it's the point at all. The real point is to know if he's interested in signing long term or if we're going to lose him for nothing next summer. If so, well even if he didn't ask anything, we will have to move him later on this year....

Well the fact that he spent most of the summer in montreal could mean something.

FF de Mars 07-25-2006 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by znk (Post 6115263)
Gainey never lies.

And pass it to the left !

Guy! 07-25-2006 02:43 AM

Should be an interesting fight over the first 20 games for the second line centre position. Ribeiro is the incumbent, but one false step and either of Plex or Bonk could step in. I look for Bonk to rebound after a year playing with injury, and I see Plex as having the potential to work on that second line with his speed successfully.

Since we're stuck with him, we might as well get behind him. Let's see if the little immature brat has grown up at all. If Ribby is going to take that number two spot and run with it, he's going to have to show far more than he's shown to date. Consistency would be a start.

toshiro 07-25-2006 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guy! (Post 6117275)
Should be an interesting fight over the first 20 games for the second line centre position. Ribeiro is the incumbent, but one false step and either of Plex or Bonk could step in. I look for Bonk to rebound after a year playing with injury, and I see Plex as having the potential to work on that second line with his speed successfully.

Since we're stuck with him, we might as well get behind him. Let's see if the little immature brat has grown up at all. If Ribby is going to take that number two spot and run with it, he's going to have to show far more than he's shown to date. Consistency would be a start.

I expect Ribs to also get some goals this year maybe 20-25.

Drive425 07-25-2006 11:44 AM

The only reason Ribs gets 20+ goals this season is because he has terrific line mates. If anything he slows Sammy and Kovalev down. Check it 20 games into the season...Should get a good indication of what is happening by then.

And don't forget"Expect the Unexpected"

Netro 07-25-2006 12:24 PM

I believe BG. Unless he is made an offer he can't refuse, I think we are looking at the team that is going to training camp.

What I also like is that there is no spot on the team, in terms of projected starting line-up, for a rookie. Never give a rookie a spot, make them earn it, which is what will have to happen in camp