HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   RUMOR: Gomez to Preds (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=274731)

Easton 07-25-2006 08:06 AM

RUMOR: Gomez to Preds

http://predzone.com/Mike%20Lurie/Lurie7-24-06B.html

None of you guys heard about this?

triggrman 07-25-2006 08:09 AM

I don't know Mike Lurie I don't know if he's a reliable source or not, I doubt it, but I'd do that trade in a heartbeat and love to have Gomez on the team.

RollingPredFan 07-25-2006 08:18 AM

Somehow I doubt this we'd be taking on a hefty salary.. but I'd love to see it! Wow we would be really deep at center if so, they'd have to use vasicek at LW I would think.

gallagt01 07-25-2006 08:19 AM

Heh, talk about removing Arnott from that first line in a heartbeat. :P

Enoch 07-25-2006 08:34 AM

I think this would be a win for the Preds in terms of value, but I seriously doubt that this trade is going down.

I also suspect that if this is true, the Hartnell/Trotz relationship deteriorated a lot more than we suspected last season, and possibly, Hartnell wants a significant raise that Poile does not want to pay (which could just be posturing to force a trade).

Again, I doubt this is true.

AdmiralPred 07-25-2006 08:38 AM

Hartnell and a third for Gomez? Wow. $6 million for Gomez? Would the Preds go over their cap this season for that?

As far as the source: I thought the third rounder the Preds got in the menage a trois last week was Pittsburgh's not the Rangers'?

Who plays wing with Gomez and Sullivan on line 2? Upshall?

Or does Gomez center line 1 with Kariya and Erat? Not so sure about that. Gomez and Sullivan might be a great combination.

PredsMan 07-25-2006 08:39 AM

yeah...this just doesn't make much sense to me.

Hartnell has just been coming into his own...why make this deal now?

IanB 07-25-2006 08:43 AM

Quote:

As far as the source: I thought the third rounder the Preds got in the menage a trois last week was Pittsburgh's not the Rangers'?
Yes, the pick came from the Penguins.

FangFingers 07-25-2006 08:55 AM

I just dont see it happening - mostly for financial reasons.

Seth Lake 07-25-2006 09:12 AM

OK??? I would do this deal...and could see why it would go down.

Should Gomez get anywhere near what he wants in arbitration, the Devils would need to clear salary...but, the Devils are not in a rebuilding mode and do not want to be. Hartnell gives them a player that has only been improving as an NHL player each season, would fit into the Devils defensive scheme, and has the body and physical presence to play in the Eastern Conference.

The Predators would suddenly be stacked at center and have totally transformed the top three lines. Gomez and Arnott would be centers 1a and 1b, while Legwand would move to the third line and Vasicek would slide onto the wing. The money really isn't a problem for the Predators because of the cap, but...Leopold would have to approve this deal because it would put us way over our self-imposed cap with Hamhuis still remaining unsigned. I think Leopold can really make a statement here though to the local community (and those damn pesky business leaders) and the rest of the league by saying..."we're going for it. I'm putting my money on the line to provide a top-quality team...fill the arena."

I don't see this happening and have never heard of PredZone before, but it is a reasonable deal for both sides and a lot better IMO than the "Columbus (Picard)" rumor yesterday because it doesn't automatically mean REBUILD for the Devils.

Enoch 07-25-2006 09:34 AM

Lets look at it finacially:

Erat recieved less than he would have got in arbitration probably by 500k - 1 million.

We saved 1.2 million in the Hall/Walker trades.

Hartnell would likely cost from 2-3 million at the arbitrator's table.

How much salary would we be taking on here?

digitalmonkey* 07-25-2006 09:37 AM

If Gomez gets around $6 million he should play the top line by himself?

Seriously though, do the Preds have room for his salary and another centreman? Don't they already have Arnott, Fiddler, Legwand, Nichol and Vasicek as Centremen?

I'm curious because I'm interested if/who can move to the wing (probably RW) out of those guys.

jstreet 07-25-2006 09:39 AM

so this is only an (E1)?! :D

golfmade 07-25-2006 09:51 AM

I would love love love to see Gomez in a Preds jersey, please make it happen!

Basher 07-25-2006 10:11 AM

It makes things interesting...it would give us a bit of logjam at center, but makes the Abid signing look more appealing...with the right guys, he could have a decent year.

Kariya - Arnott - Sullivan
Erat - Gomez - Upshall
Abid/Radulov - Legwand - Radulov/Vasicek
Hordy - Smithson - Tootoo

Seth Lake 07-25-2006 10:27 AM

Been thinking...my set of new lines would be...

Kariya - Arnott - Erat
Sullivan - Gomez - Radulov
Vasicek - Legwand - Upshall
Hordichuk - Smithson - Tootoo

OR if Radulov starts in Milwaukee (highly unlikely if Hartnell is moved)

Kariya - Arnott - Erat
Vasicek - Gomez - Sullivan
Upshall - Legwand - Tootoo
Hordichuk - Smithson/Fiddler/Nichol - Leahy/Smithson

David Singleton 07-25-2006 10:35 AM

If this trade means the end of Kariya and/or Vokoun (both entering the final year of their contracts, along with Timonen), do you want to do it?

David

golfmade 07-25-2006 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drsingle (Post 6118951)
If this trade means the end of Kariya and/or Vokoun (both entering the final year of their contracts, along with Timonen), do you want to do it?

David

If we can have Gomez long term I'd (personally of course) rather have him than Kariya.

golfmade 07-25-2006 10:41 AM

Not exactly on topic but I do have Gomez, Kariya and Vokoun (among others) on my fantasy hockey team haha.

PredsMan 07-25-2006 10:42 AM

I'd have to take the other side of that and pick Kariya long-term.

Seth Lake 07-25-2006 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drsingle (Post 6118951)

David

Well...Vokoun...hell no...Kariya...unsure. Gomez too would be in the final year of his contract and be a UFA if he only signed what the arbitrator gives him. If Gomez leaves after the season, then I think we still have the center depth to go on. Vokoun is a cornerstone of the franchise and I would put him up there in importance to Brodeur with the Devils. Vokoun should be locked up long-term and only should Rinne develop and surpass Vokoun, should Tomas ever be moved IMHO.

Kariya was looking for a team where he could be the star again and he got that with Nashville. He was coming off of a couple of down years and needed to put himself in a place where he could thrive in the star role, while at the same time Nashville needed "star power" to generate interest in the team coming out of the lockout and also to set the stage for future UFA signings. I think if the team is contending for the Stanley Cup and has a legitimate chance at winning, Kariya will look to resign - even if it means a little bit of a discount. Kariya is always one concussion away from ending his career and is getting up there in age. I believe he wants his name on the Cup badly and will sacrifice a little money do achieve that goal. If next summer we are in a position to give him that opportunity, then I think he would look to resign...if we already gave him that or appear to be going into a "rebuild" mode...he will look elsewhere for that opportunity and the big bucks.

Overall, Vokoun > Gomez > Kariya IMO.

triggrman 07-25-2006 10:47 AM

That's the biggest concern I'd have is long term. Would this force us to pick between Vokoun or Kariya next year?

Joe T Choker 07-25-2006 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by triggrman (Post 6119037)
That's the biggest concern I'd have is long term. Would this force us to pick between Vokoun or Kariya next year?

exactly ... the Cap isn't gonna go up 5 million every year ... and that's why I would pass on this deal

David Singleton 07-25-2006 10:59 AM

Let's work with this assumption: Vokoun > Gomez > Kariya: meaning if we only can only have two on our roster beyond next season, it would be Vokoun and Gomez.

Looking a little closer at our roster after losing at least Kariya, Walker, Hartnell, and Hall while adding Upshall, Tootoo and Radulov, we now have a huge hole to fill.

We can't go to the well every year, especially with the blueline we have growing up.

I guess what I'm saying is that I like our center core of Arnott, Legwand, & Vasicek, plus having Hartnell here better than losing Hartnell and possibly Leggy or Vasicek for Gomez- and it's cheaper at that.

Most definitely a tough decision though.

David

Darth Predator 07-25-2006 11:01 AM

eklund is saying the deal is "completely untrue" that he is going to Nashville. So since he says nashville isn't a player does that mean we are leading the pack? based on what i have seen lately its possible, but i think this deal is kind of a stretch.