HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Business of Hockey (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   CBA/Waiver question (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=275438)

crashlanding 07-26-2006 11:22 PM

CBA/Waiver question

In training camp can you demote NHLers to the AHL without having them pass through waivers?

kdb209 07-26-2006 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crashlanding (Post 6137564)
In training camp can you demote NHLers to the AHL without having them pass through waivers?

Nope. Unless they are exempt from waivers due to # of years / #of games of NHL experience.

A team cannot assign/loan a player to the AHL unless the player clears waivers during the Playing Season Waiver Period - staring 12 days before the start of the regular season.

If a player has already cleared waivers the previous season and was loaned to the AHL and was not on the NHL roster at the end of the regular season (see McGillis, Dan), I believe he can be sent back down after training camp without clearing waivers again as long as he is not back on the NHL roster for more than 30 days or 10 games.

crashlanding 07-26-2006 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kdb209 (Post 6137731)
Nope. Unless they are exempt from waivers due to # of years / #of games of NHL experience.

A team cannot assign/loan a player to the AHL unless the player clears waivers during the Playing Season Waiver Period - staring 12 days before the start of the regular season.

If a player has already cleared waivers the previous season and was loaned to the AHL and was not on the NHL roster at the end of the regular season (see McGillis, Dan), I believe he can be sent back down after training camp without clearing waivers again as long as he is not back on the NHL roster for more than 30 days or 10 games.

Damn.

I'm thinking for other players other than McGillis. Brylin has a salary that would put him on the trade block, but he's signed for three more years I believe. I don't think we'd get fair value in return so giving him a 1 year AHL hiatus could help us out in 07-08 when we have plenty of cap space.

kdb209 07-27-2006 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crashlanding (Post 6137760)
Damn.

I'm thinking for other players other than McGillis. Brylin has a salary that would put him on the trade block, but he's signed for three more years I believe. I don't think we'd get fair value in return so giving him a 1 year AHL hiatus could help us out in 07-08 when we have plenty of cap space.

Nope. Sergei would have to clear waivers to be assigned to the AHL, just like McGillis had to clear waivers last season, and would be subject to Re-Entry waivers if he was successfully loaned to the AHL (cleared waivers) and then was recalled during the regular season. McGillis, BTW, is now exempt from Re-Entry Waivers - a player is only subject to them if loaned to the AHL and then recalled in the same League Year - of course, all players are exempt from Re-Entry Waivers during the off season.

crashlanding 07-27-2006 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kdb209 (Post 6137820)
Nope. Sergei would have to clear waivers to be assigned to the AHL, just like McGillis had to clear waivers last season, and would be subject to Re-Entry waivers if he was successfully loaned to the AHL (cleared waivers) and then was recalled during the regular season. McGillis, BTW, is now exempt from Re-Entry Waivers - a player is only subject to them if loaned to the AHL and then recalled in the same League Year - of course, all players are exempt from Re-Entry Waivers during the off season.

Thanks for the info, you are probably the most familiar with the CBA of anyone on these boards. It's much appreciated. A part of me hoped that since there wasn't a waivers system set up in the offseason you could send anyone down without having them pass before opening day. I was wrong.

Mighty Duck 07-27-2006 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crashlanding (Post 6138016)
Thanks for the info, you are probably the most familiar with the CBA of anyone on these boards. It's much appreciated. A part of me hoped that since there wasn't a waivers system set up in the offseason you could send anyone down without having them pass before opening day. I was wrong.

A good read on waivers in CBA, Article 13, Waivers and Loans of Players to Minor League Clubs, more to the point Art. 13.4.(d):

(d) A Player 25 years old or older who plays in one or more Professional Games in the 2005-06 season will be exempt from Regular and Re-Entry Waivers as follows:
06-06 season exempt
06-07 season eligible

Bottom line, new season, players 25 & older must clear again.

Irish Blues 07-28-2006 04:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mighty Duck (Post 6147455)
A good read on waivers in CBA, Article 13, Waivers and Loans of Players to Minor League Clubs, more to the point Art. 13.4.(d):

(d) A Player 25 years old or older who plays in one or more Professional Games in the 2005-06 season will be exempt from Regular and Re-Entry Waivers as follows:
05-06 season exempt
06-07 season eligible

Bottom line, new season, players 25 & older must clear again.

I think that passage is in reference to players who were signing their first SPC in '05-06, just for clarification. It certainly doesn't read as "every player 25 or older was exempt from waivers in '05-06, but isn't in '06-07."

Mighty Duck 07-28-2006 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irish Blues (Post 6148707)
I think that passage is in reference to players who were signing their first SPC in '05-06, just for clarification. It certainly doesn't read as "every player 25 or older was exempt from waivers in '05-06, but isn't in '06-07."

Have you read all of Article 13.4, as I interpret (d) to mean: "any player" 25 years old or older" like it reads. I can't find anything where it refers to first SPC for 25 years or older player. Actually, I called an agent about this, and I an right.:teach:

Irish Blues 07-28-2006 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mighty Duck (Post 6149830)
Have you read all of Article 13.4, as I interpret (d) to mean: "any player" 25 years old or older" like it reads. I can't find anything where it refers to first SPC for 25 years or older player. Actually, I called an agent about this, and I an right.:teach:

:rolleyes: Fine, you called an agent. I'm sure there are agents who have passages in the CBA misinterpreted.

Besides, if it read as "any player 25 years or older", then guys like McGillis, Lalime, McEachern, Nazarov, Wright, and so on wouldn't have had to clear waivers to be assigned to the AHL last year. Clearly, they did - so 13.4(d) saying they were exempt isn't accurately describing all players 25 and older. Furthermore, if we interpreted the following passage in 13.4 literally without trying to examine the context in which it is placed, then it would effectively mean that no one 25 or older would ever be subject to waivers:
Quote:

A Player 25 years or older who plays in one (1) or more Professional Games in any season shall be exempt from Regular Waivers and Re-Entry Waivers for the remainder of that season.
I stand by my assertion that examples (a)-(d) in Article 13.4 refer to instances where a player has signed an entry-level contract OR if the player is 25 or older, first plays in a Professional Game - whichever is applicable.

Mighty Duck 07-28-2006 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irish Blues (Post 6150085)
:rolleyes: Fine, you called an agent. I'm sure there are agents who have passages in the CBA misinterpreted.

Besides, if it read as "any player 25 years or older", then guys like McGillis, Lalime, McEachern, Nazarov, Wright, and so on wouldn't have had to clear waivers to be assigned to the AHL last year. Clearly, they did - so 13.4(d) saying they were exempt isn't accurately describing all players 25 and older. Furthermore, if we interpreted the following passage in 13.4 literally without trying to examine the context in which it is placed, then it would effectively mean that no one 25 or older would ever be subject to waivers:

I stand by my assertion that examples (a)-(d) in Article 13.4 refer to instances where a player has signed an entry-level contract OR if the player is 25 or older, first plays in a Professional Game - whichever is applicable.

Did you read the original question, "In training camp can you demote NHLers to the AHL without having them pass through waivers?

I still suggest as per Article 13.4.(d) that as far as a new season is concerned,in short, all players 25 years or older would have to pass thru' waivers again.:teach:

There would a possibility that the team could send an AHL player down 12 days before the regular season begins. Basically, if a player plays any ex. games, he will probably be eligible for waivers. Not sure about this provision.

Irish Blues 07-28-2006 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mighty Duck (Post 6150608)
Did you read the original question, "In training camp can you demote NHLers to the AHL without having them pass through waivers?

I still suggested as per Article 13.4.(d) that as far as a new season is concerned, all players 25 years or older would have to pass thru' waivers again.:teach:

That's what I've been saying - that even if on the first day of training camp a team assigns someone to the minors who is not exempt from waivers, they still have to officially clear waivers 12 days before the start of the season to be officially assigned to the minors. The distinction I'm making is that 13.4(d) did not (and does not) imply that any player 25 and older who played one pro game last season was exempt from waivers for the entire '05-06 season, as some will try to read and infer; nor would it imply anything similar for '06-07 and beyond.

Exhibition games do not count as professional games.

Mighty Duck 07-28-2006 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irish Blues (Post 6150722)
That's what I've been saying - that even if on the first day of training camp a team assigns someone to the minors who is not exempt from waivers, they still have to officially clear waivers 12 days before the start of the season to be officially assigned to the minors. The distinction I'm making is that 13.4(d) did not (and does not) imply that any player 25 and older who played one pro game last season was exempt from waivers for the entire '05-06 season, as some will try to read and infer; nor would it imply anything similar for '06-07 and beyond.

Exhibition games do not count as professional games.

That what I was trying to say.:banghead: I guess we have answered the question. Are you a Lawyer?:biglaugh:

Irish Blues 07-28-2006 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mighty Duck (Post 6150900)
Are you a Lawyer?:biglaugh:

An actuary - in some ways, just as bad, except we're paid to never be right (this is a discussion for a thread elsewhere).

kdb209 07-28-2006 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mighty Duck (Post 6150608)

I still suggest as per Article 13.4.(d) that as far as a new season is concerned,in short, all players 25 years or older would have to pass thru' waivers again.:teach:

Actually, I would suggest you read Article 13 again.

The 13.4(d) you quote is not a standalone term - it is part of a series of examples to illustrate the waiver elligibility chart above:

Quote:

The following examples illustrate how the provisions in the Regular and Re-Entry Waivers chart shall be applied:

(a) An 18 year old or 19 year old drafted in the '05 Entry Draft who signed and played in eleven (11) NHL Games or more in the 2005-06 season will be exempt as follows:
Season Regular Waivers/Re-Entry Waivers
05-06 Exempt
06-07 Exempt
07-08 Exempt
08-09 Eligible

Note: Once an 18 year old or 19 year old Player has played in his 160th NHL Game, he will immediately become eligible for Regular Waivers and Re-Entry Waivers.

(b) An 18 year old drafted in the '05 Entry Draft who does not sign an SPC until July 2006 at the age of 19, and plays eleven (11) NHL Games in the 2006-07 season, will be exempt as follows:
05-06 n/a
06-07 Exempt
07-08 Exempt
08-09 Exempt
09-10 Eligible

Note: Once an 18 year old or 19 year old Player has played in his 160th NHL Game, he will immediately become eligible for Regular and Re-Entry Waivers.

(c) A 20 year old Player who plays in one or more Professional Games in the 2005-06 season will be exempt from Regular and Re-Entry Waivers as follows:

05-06 Exempt
06-07 Exempt
07-08 Exempt
08-09 Eligible

Note: Once a 20 year old Player has played in his 160th NHL Game, he will immediately become eligible for Regular and Re-Entry Waivers.

05-06 Exempt
06-07 Eligible

And if you look at the chart and its description, the ages quoted are the ages when a player signs his first SPC.

The 13.4(d) quote you cite is just an illustration of the last line of the chart - a player who first signs at age 25+ is exempt from waivers for 1 season, regardeless of the number of games played.

kdb209 07-28-2006 02:19 PM

It looks like there is a buffer size limitation when you edit your own posts - as opposed to the initial submission - so this got cut off:

Quote:

3.4 Exempt Players. Players who meet the criteria set forth below are exempt from Regular and Re-Entry-Waivers:
PHP Code:

GOALIES                                   SKATERS
        Years from                               Years from
         Signing         NHL Games      Signing         NHL Games
Age   NHL            Played               NHL             Played

18     6                    80                     5                     160
19     5                    80                     4                     160
20     4                    80                     3                     160
21     4                    60                     3                     80
22     4                    60                     3                     70
23     3                    60                     3                     60
24     2                   60                     2                     60
+  1                    -                        1                     

The 13.4(d) quote you cite is just an illustration of the last line of the chart - a player who first signs at age 25+ is exempt from waivers for 1 season, regardeless of the number of games played.

But Irish Blues was correct, as usual:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irish Blues

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irish Blues

And to get back to the original question (sort of). A player (like McGillis or Mogilny) who cleared waivers last season and is not recalled back to the NHL roster for more than 30 days or 10 NHL games is still exempt from waivers and may be sent down after training camp without having to clear waivers:

Quote:

13.2 The "Playing Season Waiver Period" shall begin on the twelfth (12th) day prior to the start of the Regular Season and end on the day following the last day of a Club's Playing Season. Subject to the provisions of this Article, the rights to the services of a Player may be Loaned to a club of another league, upon fulfillment of the following conditions, except when elsewhere expressly prohibited:
(a) Regular Waivers were requested and cleared during the Playing Season Waiver Period; and

(b) the Player has not played in ten (10) or more NHL Games cumulative since Regular Waivers on him were last cleared, and more than thirty (30) days cumulative on an NHL roster have not passed since Regular Waivers on him were last cleared.

There is no qualification in 13.2(a) that the player had to have cleared waivers during the "Playing Season Waiver Period" of the current League Year.

Mighty Duck 07-28-2006 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kdb209 (Post 6152076)
It looks like there is a buffer size limitation when you edit your own posts - as opposed to the initial submission - so this got cut off:

And to get back to the original question (sort of). A player (like McGillis or Mogilny) who cleared waivers last season and is not recalled back to the NHL roster for more than 30 days or 10 NHL games is still exempt from waivers and may be sent down after training camp without having to clear waivers:

There is no qualification in 13.2(a) that the player had to have cleared waivers during the "Playing Season Waiver Period" of the current League Year.

Which player is 25 or older playing his 1st pro game would this apply to?

kdb209 07-28-2006 04:15 PM

And just to give yet another clarification on the Waiver Exemption table:

Quote:

3.4 Exempt Players. Players who meet the criteria set forth below are exempt from Regular and Re-Entry-Waivers:
PHP Code:

GOALIES                                   SKATERS
        Years from                               Years from
         Signing         NHL Games      Signing         NHL Games
NHL            Played              NHL             Played

18     6                    80                     5                     160
19     5                    80                     4                     160
20     4                    80                     3                     160
21     4                    60                     3                     80
22     4                    60                     3                     70
23     3                    60                     3                     60
24     2                   60                     2                     60
+  1                    -                        1                     

Note:
1. For purposes of this Article, a "year" of exemption shall mean a playing season.

2. For purposes of this Article, "age 18" means a Player reaching his eighteenth birthday between January 1 next preceding the Entry Draft and September 15 next following the Entry Draft, both dates included; "age 19" means a Player reaching his nineteenth birthday in the calendar year of the Entry Draft; "age 20" means a Player reaching his twentieth birthday in the calendar year of the Entry Draft; and "age 21" means a Player reaching his twenty-first birthday in the calendar year of the Entry Draft.
Age in this table cannot be interpreted as the players current age - it is impossible for an 18yo to have 160 NHL Games Played or be 5 Years From Signing. This table sets a starting point looking forward in terms of Years From Signing and NHL Games Played for exemption from waivers - and that starting point is either age when drafted or age when signed. Given Note 2 - draft age seems the reasonable interpretation.

The "Age" of a player w.r.t. waiver eligibility is his age when drafted - not his current age or the age when he signed his first contract. The clock on # of seasons begins after he signs and plays 1 or more NHL games as an18yo or 19yo or one or more "professional" games (including minor leage games) as a 20+ year old. The 5 & 4 year exemptions for 18 or 19 yo skaters is reduced to 3 years as soon as he plays 11 or more NHL games in a single season.

So it is technically possible that a player may be drafted at 18 or 19+yo, go the NCAA route, (or unsigned Euros drafted under the old CBA) and not actually be signed until 23 or 24+yo. In that case, they would still maintain a waiver exemption for 3 yrs or 160 games after their 1st professional game. Under these circumstances it would be possible that an NHL player could have played last season at 25 yo, be
26 yo now, and still be exempt from waivers.

kdb209 07-28-2006 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mighty Duck (Post 6153221)
Which player is 25 or older playing his 1st pro game would this apply to?

This wasn't refering to a player "25 or older playing his 1st pro game". This was referring to the original question "In training camp can you demote NHLers to the AHL without having them pass through waivers?"

Players like McGillis and Mogilney who cleared waivers during last seasons regular Playing Season Waiver Period are still exempt from waivers untill they are on an NHL Roster for 30 days or 10 NHL Games (Regular Season or Post Season - not Pre Season), so they could be called up, brought to camp, be on the NHL Roster for less than 30 days, and be sent back down without having to clear waivers again.

Mighty Duck 07-30-2006 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kdb209 (Post 6153299)
This wasn't refering to a player "25 or older playing his 1st pro game". This was referring to the original question "In training camp can you demote NHLers to the AHL without having them pass through waivers?"

Players like McGillis and Mogilney who cleared waivers during last seasons regular Playing Season Waiver Period are still exempt from waivers untill they are on an NHL Roster for 30 days or 10 NHL Games (Regular Season or Post Season - not Pre Season), so they could be called up, brought to camp, be on the NHL Roster for less than 30 days, and be sent back down without having to clear waivers again.

If player stays with the club past the 12 days before the new regular season starts, they will have to clear waivers again. That NHL Roster for 30 days or 10 NHL Games rule is for the season the player is presently playing in. Plus the player only has to play 1 pro game (minors or NHL) the previous season to qualify for this rule.

Art.13.2 The "playing season waiver period" shall begin on the 12th day prior to the start of the regular season and end on the day following the last of a club's playing season.

Bottom line, new season, new waiver period.

Mighty Duck 07-30-2006 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kdb209 (Post 6152076)

I respectfully disagree with you, as the examples illustrated under 13.4 (d) (note: "a" thru' "d" are 4 seperate examples indirectly connected) which clearly shows a player 25 yo or older who plays 1 pro game in 05/06, is eligible for the start of 06/07.

Also, once a 18, 19, or 20 old player has played his 160th NHL game, he immediately becomes eligible for regular waivers or re-entry waivers as per art.13.4 (a,b, & c).:teach:

kdb209 07-30-2006 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mighty Duck (Post 6166212)
I respectfully disagree with you, as the examples illustrated under 13.4 (d) (note: "a" thru' "d" are 4 seperate examples indirectly connected) which clearly shows a player 25 yo or older who plays 1 pro game in 05/06, is eligible for the start of 06/07.

Also, once a 18, 19, or 20 old player has played his 160th NHL game, he immediately becomes eligible for regular waivers or re-entry waivers as per art.13.4 (a,b, & c).:teach:

I respectfully disagree with your disagreement.

It is quite clear that 13.4(a)-(d) are not stand alone terms and are merely illustrations of the Regular and Re-Entry Waivers chart. They can only be interpreted in the context of that chart.

Quote:

The following examples illustrate how the provisions in the Regular and Re-Entry Waivers chart shall be applied:

(a) An 18 year old or 19 year old drafted in the '05 Entry Draft who signed and played in eleven (11) NHL Games or more in the 2005-06 season will be exempt as follows:
05-06 Exempt
06-07 Exempt
07-08 Exempt
08-09 Eligible

Note: Once an 18 year old or 19 year old Player has played in his 160th NHL Game, he will immediately become eligible for Regular Waivers and Re-Entry Waivers.

(b) An 18 year old drafted in the '05 Entry Draft who does not sign an SPC until July 2006 at the age of 19, and plays eleven (11) NHL Games in the 2006-07 season, will be exempt as follows:
05-06 n/a
06-07 Exempt
07-08 Exempt
08-09 Exempt
09-10 Eligible

Note: Once an 18 year old or 19 year old Player has played in his 160th NHL Game, he will immediately become eligible for Regular and Re-Entry Waivers.

(c) A 20 year old Player who plays in one or more Professional Games in the 2005-06 season will be exempt from Regular and Re-Entry Waivers as follows:

05-06 Exempt
06-07 Exempt
07-08 Exempt
08-09 Eligible

Note: Once a 20 year old Player has played in his 160th NHL Game, he will immediately become eligible for Regular and Re-Entry Waivers.

05-06 Exempt
06-07 Eligible
As I posted above in the context of Article 13.4, age is NOT the current age of the player:

Quote:

Note:
1. For purposes of this Article, a "year" of exemption shall mean a playing season.

2. For purposes of this Article, "age 18" means a Player reaching his eighteenth birthday between January 1 next preceding the Entry Draft and September 15 next following the Entry Draft, both dates included; "age 19" means a Player reaching his nineteenth birthday in the calendar year of the Entry Draft; "age 20" means a Player reaching his twentieth birthday in the calendar year of the Entry Draft; and "age 21" means a Player reaching his twenty-first birthday in the calendar year of the Entry Draft.
The Chart in 13.4 and the examples (a)-(d) are all forward looking - from starting point, the 18/19/20/25yo is exempt for a specified number of seasons or number of games (whichever comes first). It is the age at that starting point, not the players current age, that is relevant in interpreting chart in 13.4.

The waiver exemptions are not based on a players current age - they are based on either the age the player was drafted or signed his first SPC - based on Note 2, I would interpret age in the context if 13.4 to be the players draft age.

Mighty Duck 07-30-2006 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kdb209 (Post 6167811)
I respectfully disagree with your disagreement.

It is quite clear that 13.4(a)-(d) are not stand alone terms and are merely illustrations of the Regular and Re-Entry Waivers chart. They can only be interpreted in the context of that chart.

As I posted above in the context of Article 13.4, age is NOT the current age of the player:

The Chart in 13.4 and the examples (a)-(d) are all forward looking - from starting point, the 18/19/20/25yo is exempt for a specified number of seasons or number of games (whichever comes first). It is the age at that starting point, not the players current age, that is relevant in interpreting chart in 13.4.

The waiver exemptions are not based on a players current age - they are based on either the age the player was drafted or signed his first SPC - based on Note 2, I would interpret age in the context if 13.4 to be the players draft age.

The Chart in 13.4 and the examples (a)-(d) are all stand alone example, and when I say indirectly connected, I mean separate, but together only when: (a) (a) & (b) have the common interest of the 11 game issue in 1st NHL season, (b) when: (a), (b) & (c) have a common interest of after 3 seasons, and in the 4th year, players are eligible for waivers, (c) when: (a), (b), & (c) have the common interest of after the player has played his 160th game, they are immediately eligible for waivers. With that being said, example (d) does not have any common interest with (a), (b) or (c), and stands alone by it's self, (d) A Player 25 years old or older who plays in one or more Professional Games in the 2005-06 season will be exempt from Regular and Re-Entry Waivers as follows:
05-06 Exempt
06-07 Eligible

Notice that in the new season, (d) illustrates that a player who played 1 game of pro hockey the preceeding season, will be eligible for waivers in the next season, is descibed as Art.13.2 The "playing season waiver period" shall begin on the 12th day prior to the start of the regular season and end on the day following the last of a club's playing season.

I guess we could argue this until the cows come home. I propose we wait and see, as I know my point will prove out in the end. :yo:

Irish Blues 07-31-2006 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mighty Duck (Post 6168745)
I guess we could argue this until the cows come home. I propose we wait and see, as I know my point will prove out in the end. :yo:

Are you willing to put cash on this? I've got a list of charitable organizations who could use $20.

Transported Upstater 07-31-2006 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irish Blues (Post 6171926)
Are you willing to put cash on this? I've got a list of charitable organizations who could use $20.

OH NO HE DIDN'T!!!!

Seph 09-21-2007 06:12 PM

Old thread, new question -- What's the deal with 2way contracts and waivers? I've heard a lot of people say that they have an effect on a players waivers eligibility, possibly based on the AHL salary in the 2way contract. But I have found nothing in the CBA to support this. Is it a myth, or is there some way based on the contract that you can skip waivers when sending someone to the AHL who otherwise isn't waiver exempt?