HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Did you think 1987 was the last best entry draft by MTL ? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=275693)

GSK* 07-27-2006 06:03 PM

Did you think 1987 was the last best entry draft by MTL ?
 
I mean, in first round 17th overall, we pick up Andrew Cassels, who was a good players in Hartford, he's the 4th guys with more point in the first round of that draft.

Second round, we pick-up John Leclair, ok he never did pretty good thing in MTL, but was a huge scorer in PHI. In the same round we pick up Eric Dejardins, who came a good defensmen in the NHL. That was the two best pick in the second round two.

1985 to 1999 is such a bullsh|t first pick.

1985: 12 overall Jose Charbonneau
1986: 15 overall Mike Pederson
1987: 17 overall Andrew Cassels ( He's not bad )
1988: 20 overall Eric Charron
1989: 13 overall Lindsay Vallis
1990: 12 overall Turner Stevenson (OMG)
1991: 17 overall Brent Bilodeau
1992: 20 overall David Wilkie
1993: 21 overall Saku Koivu ( Not bad )
1994: 18 overall Brad Brown
1995: 08 overall Terry Ryan
1996: 18 overall Mat Higgins
1997: 11 overall Jason Ward
1998: 16 overall Eric Chouinard
1999: 39 overall Alex Buturlin ( second round pick )

2000 to now :

2000: 13 overall Ron Hainsey
2001: 07 overall Mike Komisarek
2002: 14 overall Chris Higgins
2003: 10 overall Andrei Kostitsyn
2004: 18 overall Kyle Chipchura
2005: 05 overall Carey Price ( bad pick IMO, i would pick Brule )
2006: 20 overall David Fischer


Its seem like its gonna be better now, but i'm just laughin when i saw all those players make great career when Habs pick up sh|t.

JMMR 07-27-2006 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GSK (Post 6145335)

1993: 21 overall Saku Koivu ( Not bad )


2000 to now :

2000: 13 overall Ron Hainsey
2001: 07 overall Mike Komisarek
2002: 14 overall Chris Higgins
2003: 10 overall Andrei Kostitsyn
2004: 18 overall Kyle Chipchura
2005: 05 overall Carey Price ( bad pick IMO, i would pick Brule )
2006: 20 overall David Fischer


Its seem like its gonna be better now, but i'm just laughin when i saw all those players make great career when Habs pick up sh|t.


Koivu not bad come on man he was a great pick.. yes the Habs could have taken big bert next but if it were not for his injures he would have some unbeliveable numbers right now.

As for the post 2000 draft I think it would be pretty sweet it if in 3 years if 6 of our 7 1st rounders from that time are with the Habs. I know that is very wishful thinking but you never know!

GSK* 07-27-2006 06:15 PM

Not bad, in sense of, is not a franchise player, he's not a SUPERSTAR, he's a good players yeah aight !

But never do a real big NHL season since 1996-97 with 56 points in 50 games.

2001-2002 career high with 71 points.

I know statsistic doesnt mean everything, I agree he got more talent then the number show.

But without Cassels and Koivu... Thats a freaking NOOB squad.

montreal 07-27-2006 06:22 PM

Yea '87 was a good draft and likely the best we have had throughout the entire '90's. However one bad mistake and an unlikely event could have made the '98 the best since '84 imo. The pick of Choiuard over Gagne and losing Beauchemin hurts but if Houle had gone with Gagne, then we would be looking at Gagne, Ribiero, Beauchemin, Markov and Ryder, but alas we have to settle for Ribs, Markov and Ryder. The '01 draft is up there with Komisarek, Perezhogin and Pleks, just starting to see what we can expect from these guys, I expect all 3 to have a better season then last year.

It will be interesting to see how the other drafts shake out. '03 with Kostitsyn, O'Byrne, Lapierre, Halak. '04 with Chipchura, Emelin, Grabovsky, Streit, maybe more. '05 with Lats, Price, D'Agostini, Kostitsyn, Aubin.


Quote:

Not bad, in sense of, is not a franchise player, he's not a SUPERSTAR, he's a good players yeah aight !

But never do a real big NHL season since 1996-97 with 56 points in 50 games
Koivu also was unlucky with the injuries, who knows how good he would have been if not for those knee injuries.

GSK* 07-27-2006 06:42 PM

We cannot be sure of all career for prospect, rookie and somophore.

But i really think Chris Higgins can be the next Captain of the MTL Canadiens, he gonna be a great two way foward, can play on PP or PK, score 30 goals and more ( hit 23 on rookie ) and take the 60-70 points and may be more.

IMO, he's already a good player in the NHL, he's one the the most important future players in the organisation.

I think, if Perezhogin doesnt show more intensity and desire to win and upgrade he's play, he may be gonna move or flop.

Plekanec show's good thing last year, got a great offensive skillz, is no doubt can be a 3rd line on every time in future, and with some nice upside in offensive skillz, he show it last year on PK with amazing shift&move, he may be gonna be a great second line, cuz i think with good wingers that guy can score 25 and pass 50.

I hope they gonna make play Andrei Kostitsyn more minutes then Perez rookie years.

I never see Grabovsky and brother of Andrei play's ( without some game in the CHL for Sergei ), so all i know, its pro analsyt or prospect analyst.

I'm not a fan of Guillaume Latendresse, this year in LHJMQ, Brassard did like 100x beter then him, that scraed me a little bit, but he's young so with cannot know.

And may be Emelin gonna get NHL ice this year ? Or they gonna like more the play of Cote ?

And its true if Koivu was not injury with problems of knees and is cancer( I don't know if that its the word in english), he would have better stats for sure. But he still got heart and desire to win.

( Sorry, my english is not good, but i'm looking at HF news since a long time ago, and hfboards is the only boards who people know hockey are, the talkback of some hockey or sport website are so dumbass. )

Teufelsdreck 07-27-2006 07:34 PM

1971: Guy Lafleur, then Larry Robinson. Case closed.

montreal 07-27-2006 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GSK (Post 6145689)
We cannot be sure of all career for prospect, rookie and somophore.

But i really think Chris Higgins can be the next Captain of the MTL Canadiens, he gonna be a great two way foward, can play on PP or PK, score 30 goals and more ( hit 23 on rookie ) and take the 60-70 points and may be more.

IMO, he's already a good player in the NHL, he's one the the most important future players in the organisation.

I think, if Perezhogin doesnt show more intensity and desire to win and upgrade he's play, he may be gonna move or flop.

Plekanec show's good thing last year, got a great offensive skillz, is no doubt can be a 3rd line on every time in future, and with some nice upside in offensive skillz, he show it last year on PK with amazing shift&move, he may be gonna be a great second line, cuz i think with good wingers that guy can score 25 and pass 50.

I hope they gonna make play Andrei Kostitsyn more minutes then Perez rookie years.

I never see Grabovsky and brother of Andrei play's ( without some game in the CHL for Sergei ), so all i know, its pro analsyt or prospect analyst.

I'm not a fan of Guillaume Latendresse, this year in LHJMQ, Brassard did like 100x beter then him, that scraed me a little bit, but he's young so with cannot know.

And may be Emelin gonna get NHL ice this year ? Or they gonna like more the play of Cote ?

And its true if Koivu was not injury with problems of knees and is cancer( I don't know if that its the word in english), he would have better stats for sure. But he still got heart and desire to win.

( Sorry, my english is not good, but i'm looking at HF news since a long time ago, and hfboards is the only boards who people know hockey are, the talkback of some hockey or sport website are so dumbass. )

For Higgins I think it depends on who he plays with. If he's back with Koivu then I suspect he will put up even better numbers, but if not then it's hard to say what his production will be like.

I suspect and hope to see Perezhogin have a great year. I would like to see Perezhogin on Koivu's line to get him going but no matter what line he plays on he's got to be more productive.

Plekanec was impressive last year, can't wait to see what he can do this year coming up, fun player to watch.

Hard to say what they will do with Kostitsyn, I don't have a problem with him playing more in Hamilton. People forget that he was one of the youngest players on the team last year (again) and despite coming to the AHL a year sooner then CHL prospects do, he's still young and raw in his overall game. I want to see him make the Habs but I also would have no problem seeing him and Grabovsky on a line in Hamilton.

If you haven't seen Grabovsky play, I'll bet you that you like what you see. He's not big but he's damn fast and has some flashy moves. I think he's got a really good shot at playing for the Habs and could even get in a couple games this season. The younger Kostitsyn is also a treat to watch, loved what I saw from him during the OHL playoffs, plus we'll get to see him at the WJC's this year.

Latendresse some are really high on him, others seem to hate him already. Me I've been a big fan of his and know that some scouting services had him very highly rated before his shoulder injury. ISS had him at 3rd overall when they released their 2004 draft guide (they do a top 15 for the next years draft) I am concerned about his mobility, foot speed and skating but he's got time to work on them. I don't see any need to rush him, should be very interesting to see how he turns out.

Emelin as of right now will be staying in Russia for the next 2 years. Things could change but I am wondering if a deal between Russia and the IIHF can get done at all. A lot of the fuss is from Malkin's team in Russia and things could get really messy if something isn't worked out.

kernkraft 07-27-2006 08:02 PM

How about 1998?

Round 2: Mike Ribeiro
Round 3: François Beauchemin
Round 6: Andreï Markov
Round 8: Michael Ryder

Cyrrus147 07-27-2006 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GSK (Post 6145335)
I mean, in first round 17th overall, we pick up Andrew Cassels, who was a good players in Hartford, he's the 4th guys with more point in the first round of that draft.

Second round, we pick-up John Leclair, ok he never did pretty good thing in MTL, but was a huge scorer in PHI. In the same round we pick up Eric Dejardins, who came a good defensmen in the NHL. That was the two best pick in the second round two.

1985 to 1999 is such a bullsh|t first pick.

1985: 12 overall Jose Charbonneau
1986: 15 overall Mike Pederson
1987: 17 overall Andrew Cassels ( He's not bad )
1988: 20 overall Eric Charron
1989: 13 overall Lindsay Vallis
1990: 12 overall Turner Stevenson (OMG)
1991: 17 overall Brent Bilodeau
1992: 20 overall David Wilkie
1993: 21 overall Saku Koivu ( Not bad )
1994: 18 overall Brad Brown
1995: 08 overall Terry Ryan
1996: 18 overall Mat Higgins
1997: 11 overall Jason Ward
1998: 16 overall Eric Chouinard
1999: 39 overall Alex Buturlin ( second round pick )

2000 to now :

2000: 13 overall Ron Hainsey
2001: 07 overall Mike Komisarek
2002: 14 overall Chris Higgins
2003: 10 overall Andrei Kostitsyn
2004: 18 overall Kyle Chipchura
2005: 05 overall Carey Price ( bad pick IMO, i would pick Brule )
2006: 20 overall David Fischer


Its seem like its gonna be better now, but i'm just laughin when i saw all those players make great career when Habs pick up sh|t.

How can you say that Carey Price was a bad pick??? He s only 19 years old and a goaltender is not NHL ready before at least 22 years old

Look at Marc Andre Fleury, the pittsburg penguins burned him at 19 years old , if they would have wait a few years, that guy could have (or may again) become the next Martin Brodeur.

You can't judge a goaltender when he s this young, you can only look at his talent and hope that he can become a major force in the NHL.

RE-HABS 07-27-2006 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck (Post 6146049)
1971: Guy Lafleur, then Larry Robinson. Case closed.

Sorry those two are great, but as a draft the 1984 draft was best.
Petr Svoboda, Shayne Corson, Stephane Richer & Patrick Roy all in a row from 1st to 4th round!

Vasculio 07-27-2006 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GSK (Post 6145335)
I mean, in first round 17th overall, we pick up Andrew Cassels, who was a good players in Hartford, he's the 4th guys with more point in the first round of that draft.

Second round, we pick-up John Leclair, ok he never did pretty good thing in MTL, but was a huge scorer in PHI. In the same round we pick up Eric Dejardins, who came a good defensmen in the NHL. That was the two best pick in the second round two.

1985 to 1999 is such a bullsh|t first pick.

1985: 12 overall Jose Charbonneau
1986: 15 overall Mike Pederson
1987: 17 overall Andrew Cassels ( He's not bad )
1988: 20 overall Eric Charron
1989: 13 overall Lindsay Vallis
1990: 12 overall Turner Stevenson (OMG)
1991: 17 overall Brent Bilodeau
1992: 20 overall David Wilkie
1993: 21 overall Saku Koivu ( Not bad )
1994: 18 overall Brad Brown
1995: 08 overall Terry Ryan
1996: 18 overall Mat Higgins
1997: 11 overall Jason Ward
1998: 16 overall Eric Chouinard
1999: 39 overall Alex Buturlin ( second round pick )

2000 to now :

2000: 13 overall Ron Hainsey
2001: 07 overall Mike Komisarek
2002: 14 overall Chris Higgins
2003: 10 overall Andrei Kostitsyn
2004: 18 overall Kyle Chipchura
2005: 05 overall Carey Price ( bad pick IMO, i would pick Brule )
2006: 20 overall David Fischer


Its seem like its gonna be better now, but i'm just laughin when i saw all those players make great career when Habs pick up sh|t.

You forgot 2 players, in 2000 16th overall, Marcel Hossa, and in 2001, 25th overall, Alexander Perezhogin :teach:

barfy2000 07-27-2006 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyrrus147 (Post 6146322)
Look at Marc Andre Fleury, the pittsburg penguins burned him at 19 years old , if they would have wait a few years, that guy could have (or may again) become the next Martin Brodeur.

Honestly, MAF has done NOTHING to make the Pens brass feel he is going to be a bust. I have been very impressed with him so far. The consistency will come. He'll be lights out this year.

GSK* 07-27-2006 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PurCHAOS (Post 6147170)
You forgot 2 players, in 2000 16th overall, Marcel Hossa, and in 2001, 25th overall, Alexander Perezhogin :teach:

Yeah that was the second first round pick, but I go only with first selection.

Naoned 07-28-2006 04:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RE-HABS (Post 6147011)
Sorry those two are great, but as a draft the 1984 draft was best.
Petr Svoboda, Shayne Corson, Stephane Richer & Patrick Roy all in a row from 1st to 4th round!

That's if you like quantity over quality
One of the top 3 goalies of all time + good to great players
vs
One top 3 RW and one top 5-6 Dman in the history of the game

1971 all the way.

Darz 07-28-2006 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck (Post 6146049)
1971: Guy Lafleur, then Larry Robinson. Case closed.

Ah back in the day when Sam Pollack would hose other teams out of their first round picks. It was amazing how the most successful franchise of the decade would end up with such a pile of top draft picks.

1970. 5th and 6th pick

1971. 4 of the top 20 picks, 6 of the top 25. That's just crazy.

1972. 3 of the top 8....4 of the first 14!!!!!!

I could go on, but you guys can look it up for yourselves.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:30 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.