HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Habs #7 Prospect by the fans (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=276921)

Beakermania* 08-01-2006 08:03 AM

Habs #7 Prospect by the fans

Alexi Emelin wins Poll #6 in a run-off (tie-breaker used was rookie user votes posted in thread).

Its a long way from the start of the season, so lets to a poll of the top 20 Montreal prospects. Each poll will be open for 2 days, but i may start the next one sooner if there is a clear cut winner of one poll.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Montreal
Pleks and Perezhogin should not be considered prospects by HF standards since they both played over 65 games in the NHL. Don't know why they are still listed on the Habs page but they should be considered graduated. Murray has 56 games under his belt, so by HF he's still a prospect, but I personally don't consider him one.

Danis at 25 and Cote at 24 are becoming too old to be considered prospects.

Next adds will be Cepek, Gleed, J.T. Wyman, Duncan Milroy. Order is not a big issue because i doubt these guys will be beating out anyone in our top tier of prospects ie Fischer, Grabo, O'Byrne and Emelin those guys we talk about a lot. I will add them as we go, unless there is someone else people want to see added?? Or is there someone you will be ready to vote for soon and want moved up to the front of that list.

In case of a Tie as happened in poll #6 I will count Rookie votes manually so post those here as a tie breaker. They will only be counted on a tie, i will not manually count if the vote is won by a close margin.

1.) Andrei Kostitsyn
2.) Carey Price
3.) Guillaume Latendresse
4.) Kyle Chipchura
5.) Mikhail Grabovsky
6.) Alexi Emelin
7.)

EagleBelfour 08-01-2006 08:05 AM

We all know Fischer will win it

Beakermania* 08-01-2006 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EagleBelfour (Post 6181832)
We all know Fischer will win it

I suspect so, I will start the #8 poll once he is up by 40 votes and at least 80people have voted.

That said, I am still sticking to my number 5 choice O'Byrne.

Tuggy 08-01-2006 08:07 AM

Halak.

Maxpac 08-01-2006 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuggy (Post 6181841)
Halak.

what? before Fisher:dunno:

Tuggy 08-01-2006 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcel the great! (Post 6181856)
what? before Fisher:dunno:

Halak was awesome last year in Hamilton and I think he'll be that type of Euro goalie that is a late round gem.

I'd take a few more guys on the list before Fischer aswell.

Darz 08-01-2006 08:18 AM

Don't see how David Fischer can be rated below #5, but hey...I guess you have a pretty decent group of prospects when your latest #1 pick isn't rated in your top 5 prospects by some people.

didouche 08-01-2006 08:28 AM

it doesn't let me vote but fisher is the man

x-bob 08-01-2006 08:35 AM

Fisher for me....I have been voting for him for the 3 last polls.

NORiculous 08-01-2006 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darz (Post 6181889)
Don't see how David Fischer can be rated below #5

Talent Analyst 08-01-2006 09:17 AM

Ryan O'Byrne

Qui Gon Dave 08-01-2006 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuggy (Post 6181869)
Halak was awesome last year in Hamilton and I think he'll be that type of Euro goalie that is a late round gem.

Personally, I want to see how Halak performs in the first 20-25 games in Hamilton this year before getting too high on him. I agree, he was great at the end of last year, but he was playing in a relaxed atmosphere (little/no pressure to win to make the playoffs) and may have been running on adrenaline at times with the move up to the AHL. I want to see if he can play well consistantly at a different time of the season, help the team get off to a good start and then I might well get a lot more excited about his future. He looks good already, but i just want more convincing. I'm still a little unsettled at his willingness to leave the net to play the puck. At times last year he looked like he was going to get caught out and if taking that style into the NHL in the future, he may find that the better players there will punish him for it. Or maybe not, time will tell. But I'll be keeping an eye on him for sure this coming season. Some of his play last year was very impressive.

Went with Fischer myself cos he has a lot of upside and I like some of the things I've heard about him. These votes will get a lot tougher in after the next 4-5 (for me at least) as we'll be mostly down to a lot of guys I haven't seen play before. And while I haven't seen Fischer play yet, he was a first round pick and from all I've heard, he plays a style which will fit into the current NHL game. He will take some developing as defenceman do, but I think we could have a good player in him.

Rise from the Ashes 08-01-2006 10:09 AM

I vote Mathieu Carle

Dan K 08-01-2006 10:17 AM

It HAS to be Fischer here.

Beakermania* 08-01-2006 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Montreal Russians (Post 6182573)
I vote Mathieu Carle

With zero games being played from the draft until now how can you rate our #2 2nd round pick ahead of the two guys picked before him?? I'm curious as to your reasoning for placing him ahead of Maxwell and Fischer.

mad chemist 08-01-2006 10:25 AM

Personnally, I prefer Ryan O'Byrne over David Fischer

toshiro 08-01-2006 10:25 AM

How much grit do Dagostini and Aubin have?

montreal 08-01-2006 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qui Gon Dave (Post 6182554)
Personally, I want to see how Halak performs in the first 20-25 games in Hamilton this year before getting too high on him. I agree, he was great at the end of last year, but he was playing in a relaxed atmosphere (little/no pressure to win to make the playoffs) and may have been running on adrenaline at times with the move up to the AHL. I want to see if he can play well consistantly at a different time of the season, help the team get off to a good start and then I might well get a lot more excited about his future. He looks good already, but i just want more convincing. I'm still a little unsettled at his willingness to leave the net to play the puck. At times last year he looked like he was going to get caught out and if taking that style into the NHL in the future, he may find that the better players there will punish him for it. Or maybe not, time will tell. But I'll be keeping an eye on him for sure this coming season. Some of his play last year was very impressive.

Went with Fischer myself cos he has a lot of upside and I like some of the things I've heard about him. These votes will get a lot tougher in after the next 4-5 (for me at least) as we'll be mostly down to a lot of guys I haven't seen play before. And while I haven't seen Fischer play yet, he was a first round pick and from all I've heard, he plays a style which will fit into the current NHL game. He will take some developing as defenceman do, but I think we could have a good player in him.

Halak was also great in Long Beach, at one he was leading the ECHL in gaa and save % right before being called up. He led the league in save % for a good bit but it took a little while to lead the league in gaa since he was coming up short on the minutes played due to the month he lost to injury at the start of the season.

But I agree we need to see what he does this year since Hamilton was only a short time frame of 13 games. That's the case for a lot of guys who had big years but will need to show they can repeat that success.

Quote:

Not a lot. A'Dgo seems to have more then Aubin, but I read last year where Aubin says it's one of the things he needs to work on.

CH Wizard 08-01-2006 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuggy (Post 6181841)
Halak.

Same.

Dr_Hook 08-01-2006 01:42 PM

can't vote. But Fischer of course. :yo:

Beakermania* 08-01-2006 01:48 PM

I edited the original post to add the tiebreaker procedure.

We are close to starting poll#8. Like I said a 40 vote lead with at least 80 people voting will do it. Its 33, 72 right now.

CaptCrunch 08-01-2006 01:50 PM

Plz take my next inquiry as a question and not as a critic :D

But... why do you choose a fresh prospect who didn't even enter the american university program over O'Byrne (Showed great things at [Cornell?]), Kostitsyn JR (exploded with the knights) or D'Agostini?

I mean, I understand why some people might prefer Fisher over, say, Maxime Lapierre (1st pick and hopefull difference maker vs projected grittier character player) but I always thought that its a better idea to choose prospects who showed they could do great stuff at a higher level over those you just drafted.

:dunno:

Blind Gardien 08-01-2006 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toshiro (Post 6182678)

I think of D'Agostini as having "situational grit"... it's neither a forte nor a weakness, exactly, but you could come away with perspectives leaning towards either extreme if you only watched him a couple of times. I think he's willing to be gritty, but he hasn't really yet reached the crossroads where he has to be. Playing pro should help him reach a decision point. If (as I suspect) he's not quite nifty and fast enough to get by on skill alone as a pro, and if he is able to add strength to his somewhat late-growing body, he may find that his willingness to be gritty evolves into it becoming a consistent dimension to his game. Or he could go the other way if he just finds himself overmatched as a pro (the way Locke seems to have, alas). At least the potential is there, IMO.

I haven't seen Aubin enough to really guess, he looked kind of smooth and not overly physical against the Russians. :dunno:

Stefan 08-01-2006 01:54 PM

Fischer with the easy pick for me.

wholeshow* 08-01-2006 01:56 PM

halak and grabovsky will have the best NHL careers out of our pool of prospects IMO.
but for this i pick fischer, because we're going purely on potential.