HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Poutine (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=277195)

Waterboy73806498 08-02-2006 01:11 AM

Poutine

Ok so this thread has nothing to do with the Montreal Canadians.....But hopefully the mods will not move it as there is a long standing thread by the same titile and topic on the Carolina page of all places...........

Ok onto my question. I live in southern California now but years and years ago I lived in Montreal for one year (still have lots of relatives there). They don't sell poutine down here. They don't even know what it is.

In all the other places I lived I was able to buy poutine from somewhere but not down here.

Figured I would just learn to make it myself. Looked on the web. Didn't help much as there were no recipies for making the cheddar cheese curds. So I figured I would come to the Montreal board and ask for your best poutine recipies. Now I know in Quebec you can just buy the curds but you can't do that here so I would have to make them myslef.

And hopefully you help even though I am a Leaf fan.

Stefan 08-02-2006 01:14 AM

You didn't seriously call us the Montreal Canadians did you?

Montrealer 08-02-2006 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waterboy73806498 (Post 6190530)
Ok so this thread has nothing to do with the Montreal Canadians.....But hopefully the mods will not move it as there is a long standing thread by the same titile and topic on the Carolina page of all places...........

Ok onto my question. I live in southern California now but years and years ago I lived in Montreal for one year (still have lots of relatives there). They don't sell poutine down here. They don't even know what it is.

In all the other places I lived I was able to buy poutine from somewhere but not down here.

Figured I would just learn to make it myself. Looked on the web. Didn't help much as there were no recipies for making the cheddar cheese curds. So I figured I would come to the Montreal board and ask for your best poutine recipies. Now I know in Quebec you can just buy the curds but you can't do that here so I would have to make them myslef.

Um... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheese_curds

Curds have to pretty much come from a cheese making facility.... but *in a pinch* you can always try mozzarella for a decent replica.

coolguy21415 08-02-2006 01:16 AM

You didn't seriously see the 10 page thread about Poutine that's already open?

loudi94 08-02-2006 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waterboy73806498 (Post 6190530)

Change your Av to a Habs logo and we'll talk.

Waterboy73806498 08-02-2006 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedScull (Post 6190548)
You didn't seriously see the 10 page thread about Poutine that's already open?

It's in the Carolina board. Is there one on the Montreal board? I wasn't aware there was. Plus no way I am going to read 30 odd pages to just find the one piece of information that I am looking for. Most of that thread is about random stuff anyway from what I can tell.

loudi94 08-02-2006 01:28 AM

C'mon change the Av and you'll be eating poutine in less than a week!!

Fine-don't change it. Buy the curds on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Fresh-Cheddar-Che...QQcmdZViewItem

gravy too:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/GENUINE-CANADIAN-...QQcmdZViewItem

Waterboy73806498 08-02-2006 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loudi94 (Post 6190586)

From what I have heaard they have to be fresh. Eaten within 12 hours of making them. There has got to be a way to make the cheese at home. The curds are before the cheese is aged so it shouldn't be a problem. I know how to make Ricotta Cheese and can get curds that way. But I am told true poutine is made from Cheddar

Thanks for the links though.

Dan K 08-02-2006 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waterboy73806498 (Post 6190566)
It's in the Carolina board. Is there one on the Montreal board? I wasn't aware there was. Plus no way I am going to read 30 odd pages to just find the one piece of information that I am looking for. Most of that thread is about random stuff anyway from what I can tell.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=274044

frederixx 08-02-2006 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waterboy73806498 (Post 6190651)
From what I have heaard they have to be fresh. Eaten within 12 hours of making them. There has got to be a way to make the cheese at home. The curds are before the cheese is aged so it shouldn't be a problem. I know how to make Ricotta Cheese and can get curds that way. But I am told true poutine is made from Cheddar

Thanks for the links though.

maybe not 12h, but here...

"cheese curds are fresh, young cheddar cheese in the natural, random shape and form before being processed into blocks and aged. (Cheddar cheese is typically aged from 60 days to 4 years before being sold.) Unlike the aged variety, curds lose their desirable qualities if refrigerated or not eaten for a few days (the squeak disappears and they turn dry and salty). This means that even if you can find them in ordinary supermarkets, IMHO they are probably a few weeks old, and inedible or at least unremarkable."

and here's a link to make the curds (tho you really want to buy them somehow):
http://biology.clc.uc.edu/fankhauser...e/Cheese98.htm

mcphee 08-02-2006 06:44 AM

Are you open to acquiring a cow ? Magically, there will be a Curd Festival, yes you heard it here, in St.Alberts Ontraio in a few weeks. 3 days devoted to dairy squeaky goodness.

Ice Poutine 08-02-2006 03:17 PM

er...what? Are you talking about me?:D

Waterboy73806498 08-02-2006 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frederixx (Post 6191092)
maybe not 12h, but here...

"cheese curds are fresh, young cheddar cheese in the natural, random shape and form before being processed into blocks and aged. (Cheddar cheese is typically aged from 60 days to 4 years before being sold.) Unlike the aged variety, curds lose their desirable qualities if refrigerated or not eaten for a few days (the squeak disappears and they turn dry and salty). This means that even if you can find them in ordinary supermarkets, IMHO they are probably a few weeks old, and inedible or at least unremarkable."

and here's a link to make the curds (tho you really want to buy them somehow):
http://biology.clc.uc.edu/fankhauser...e/Cheese98.htm

Thanks for the link. They are impossible to buy in Southern California. I have an extensive kitchen and experience. Whne I have time I prefer making it myself. It's often better then what I can buy.

PS The chikcs love a guy who can cook and dance among other things:D

Although puotine doesn't exactly fall into that catagory.......however......

Habs 4 Life 08-02-2006 03:30 PM

Open up a place,you can make a killing

bayrider 08-02-2006 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waterboy73806498 (Post 6195393)
Thanks for the link. They are impossible to buy in Southern California. I have an extensive kitchen and experience. Whne I have time I prefer making it myself. It's often better then what I can buy.

PS The chikcs love a guy who can cook and dance among other things:D

Although puotine doesn't exactly fall into that catagory.......however......

I'm sure if you go to specialty stores you could find cheese curds. Maybe even at Trader Joe's

coolguy21415 08-02-2006 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life (Post 6195437)
Open up a place,you can make a killing

Yeah I can see it now.. "Curd emporium". You'll be laughing all the way to bankruptcy. :rolleyes:

Waterboy73806498 08-02-2006 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bayrider (Post 6195681)
I'm sure if you go to specialty stores you could find cheese curds. Maybe even at Trader Joe's

Not even at Trader Joe's. There is a burrito and taco stand on ever corer but ask someone what cheese curd is down here and they think its a movie, TV show, or some new band that they havne't seen yet.

Slick Nick 08-02-2006 11:55 PM

aight west-islanders, loosers, fake poutine lovers.. the real golden poutine, the real 20$ tiper, is in St-Alexis-des-Monts ... Le Roi de la Poutine... hate yourself for never trying it, and if you tell your friends Ashton spicy is something special, then try to enjoy a prezel.

Going there this weekend, la Mecque de la Poutine... moi... tout-plein de sauce.. je bois bois le pot, igloo..

tritone 08-03-2006 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slick Nick (Post 6199736)
aight west-islanders, loosers, fake poutine lovers.. the real golden poutine, the real 20$ tiper, is in St-Alexis-des-Monts ... Le Roi de la ..

I hate being a looser, I wish I could be a loser instead. What exactly is a tiper?

Nobak 08-03-2006 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedScull (Post 6196204)
Yeah I can see it now.. "Curd emporium". You'll be laughing all the way to bankruptcy. :rolleyes:

He would be the man who brought poutine to California!

Slick Nick 08-03-2006 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tritone (Post 6203721)
I hate being a looser, I wish I could be a loser instead. What exactly is a tiper?

OK my english sucks... my 4th language sucks... ok :)