HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Buffalo Sabres (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   OT: Best Wings in Buffalo 2006 Edition! (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=277235)

CrankyJay 08-02-2006 09:16 AM

OT: Best Wings in Buffalo 2006 Edition!

I've lived in Buffalo now for about 5 years, and have attended the annual chicken wing festival twice, so I've had a chance to go around town and try out alot of different wings.

What do you consider the best wings in Buffalo? Do you like soggy wings with lots of sauce? Crispy wings with no sauce? Or crispy wings with a fair amount of sauce.

I'm sure many of you guys will say Anchor Bar or Duffs, but to be honest, while I think they're good, I'm just not a huge fan of either. I guess I just don't agree with Duff's method of making a hot wing, which is basically to just dump more sauce on it.

I'm more of a crispy yet saucy type of guy, and I like heat. So if I had to say what my favorite wings were in Buffalo, I'd have to say Bar Bill down on mainstreet in East Aurora. These wings are pretty big and if you walk in there and ask for hot wings they'll ask you, "Have you tried OUR hot before?" I'd say their hot is extra hot.

What's your favorite place? I'm always up for trying out new and out of the way places.

jpb 08-02-2006 09:21 AM

Well, not being a local I can't speak to where the best place to get wings is, but as to prepartion, I prefer crispy and saucy.

When I worked at wing/pizza joint back in my younger days, we'd fry the wings sans batter, sauce, bake and sometimes sauce and bake again when cooking them for ourselves. Made for some mighty tasty wings. Dinosaur BBQ here in Syracuse also does wings by smoking them then saucing liberally. Very good as well.

outcast_p 08-02-2006 09:23 AM

Elmos

Myllz 08-02-2006 09:27 AM

Mammoser's in Hamburg. Thread over. :)

Chainshot 08-02-2006 09:34 AM

If it's HF in August... we need a wing thread. ;)

CrankyJay 08-02-2006 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chainshot (Post 6191859)

Heck yah!

whiplash 08-02-2006 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chainshot (Post 6191859)

its the offseason, cut em some slack :) :p

and FINALLY, someone else that knows what the bar bill is and knows that once you've had their wings, a duff's, anchor bar, etc... wing is just another chicken wing!! viva la bar bill

Chainshot 08-02-2006 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whiplash (Post 6191959)

I was. This would be summer number three with a wing thread. It's tradition.

liquid swords 08-02-2006 09:58 AM

duff's.

whiplash 08-02-2006 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chainshot (Post 6192003)
I was. This would be summer number three with a wing thread. It's tradition.

well plus i think this is the second one this summer :p

SLTravel 08-02-2006 10:20 AM

Quote:

and FINALLY, someone else that knows what the bar bill is and knows that once you've had their wings, a duff's, anchor bar, etc... wing is just another chicken wing!! viva la bar bill

I'll take Duff's over Bar Bill or Mammosers any day of the week.

Both Mammosers and Bar Bill bake their wings. And neither use a traditional sauce. IMO, neither is your traditional Buffalo Wing Joint.

Duff's has a decent hotness and tangyness, and when cooked extra crispy are near perfection IMO.

ETA, Duff's also makes a very good Blue Cheese. A good Blue Cheese and Tangy but not killer Hot Sauce are all part of the equation IMO.

SuperNintendoChalmrs 08-02-2006 10:24 AM

Riley's Tavern.....West Seneca

:yo:

Ron C. 08-02-2006 10:31 AM

Domino's or Pizza Hut's "Buffalo" wings! :dunce:

Uh...sorry about that

I'd say Duffs. Although I don't think I can handle the suicidal ones any more :(

joshjull 08-02-2006 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperNintendoChalmrs (Post 6192230)
Riley's Tavern.....West Seneca

:yo:

You speak the truth my brother. I used to work almost next door at Nino's pizza doing delivery. When we got out at midnight we would head over to Riley's for beer and wings. Although Nino's BBQ wings were awesome. I used to make them; shake in BBQ sauce grill then shake in BBQ sauce again and grill once more:bow:

joshjull 08-02-2006 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myllz (Post 6191821)
Mammoser's in Hamburg. Thread over. :)

Where is Mammoser's? I moved to Hamburg 3 years ago and haven't heard of it.

SuperNintendoChalmrs 08-02-2006 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joshjull (Post 6192281)
You speak the truth my brother. I used to work almost next door at Nino's pizza doing delivery. When we got out at midnight we would head over to Riley's for beer and wings. Although Nino's BBQ wings were awesome. I used to make them; shake in BBQ sauce grill then shake in BBQ sauce again and grill once more:bow:

Could have a wing showdown on that stretch of Orchard Park Rd. Riley's, Nino's and Duff's.

:bow:

SLTravel 08-02-2006 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joshjull (Post 6192298)

It's on Buffalo street about 1/2 a block in from Main (going towards Eden).

Directly accross the street from The Pour House and Hamburg Medical Park.

joshjull 08-02-2006 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperNintendoChalmrs (Post 6192303)
Could have a wing showdown on that stretch of Orchard Park Rd. Riley's, Nino's and Duff's.

:bow:

At the very least a drunken good time :yo:

joshjull 08-02-2006 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Preds1 (Post 6192308)
It's on Buffalo street about 1/2 a block in from Main (going towards Eden).

Directly accross the street from The Pour House and Hamburg Medical Park.

Thanks I will have to try their wings soon.

Zobes 08-02-2006 11:13 AM

Quote:

Friends in East Aurora introduced me to the Bar Bill and they are certainly among the best wings I have ever had.

Have to mention Gabriel's Gate.

CrankyJay 08-02-2006 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Preds1 (Post 6192199)
Both Mammosers and Bar Bill bake their wings. And neither use a traditional sauce. IMO, neither is your traditional Buffalo Wing Joint.

Well, I will give you that. The sauce is different, and I love the traditional sauce, but I also love Bar Bill's sauce. If you like hot wings that you can actually taste, these are awesome. Are you sure they bake their wings? Their wings are very crispy.

Myllz 08-02-2006 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joshjull (Post 6192298)

Blasphemy! :p:

It's right on Buffalo street, pretty much right at the intersection of Main and Buffalo.

Jade 08-02-2006 11:25 AM

Hmmmm...getting hungry now. I think I'll have to take a ride to East Aurora this weekend for some wings. :yo:

I like La Nova's BBQ wings. It's not completely crispy but it also has a smokey broil taste to it. If you're willing to trek to the ghetto, um I mean the west side :innocent: , the Pizza is pretty good too.

Myllz 08-02-2006 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Preds1 (Post 6192199)
I'll take Duff's over Bar Bill or Mammosers any day of the week.

Duff's has a decent hotness and tangyness, and when cooked extra crispy are near perfection IMO.

ETA, Duff's also makes a very good Blue Cheese. A good Blue Cheese and Tangy but not killer Hot Sauce are all part of the equation IMO.

Traditional, no. Amazing, yes. Mammoser's also has a very good blue cheeses. I don't think I've found a better BBQ wing either, they have those down to a science.

sabresfan129103 08-02-2006 11:47 AM

personally i like duffs the best. you can go in there with a buddy get the #3 i think it is which is 20 wings fries gravy and a pitcher of beer for like 11 bucks. more then enough food for 2 people, and reasonably priced. when in buffalo it's hard to have a "bad" wing, but for a wing "newbie" (one who deson;t have much experience with wings) i would say try duffs b4 anywhere else.