HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Bulldogs add veteran player (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=277812)

habscout 08-04-2006 10:05 AM

Bulldogs add veteran player

http://www.hamiltonspectator.com/NAS...=1112274690756

Basically, the Habs signed a veteran forward, Ajay Baines, to give the Bulldogs some depth. I loved these comments from Baines: "Bob Gainey called in mid July and expressed interest in me coming and joining Hamilton. That's the earliest that a team has expressed interest in me. And obviously with Bob's credentials and the fact that Montreal is a real professional organization I was really excited about it. Nothing against Chicago but the way things have been run there the last few years, this is a breath of fresh air for me."

Blind Gardien 08-04-2006 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by habscout (Post 6209614)
http://www.hamiltonspectator.com/NAS...=1112274690756

Basically, the Habs signed a veteran forward, Ajay Baines, to give the Bulldogs some depth. I loved these comments from Baines: "Bob Gainey called in mid July and expressed interest in me coming and joining Hamilton. That's the earliest that a team has expressed interest in me. And obviously with Bob's credentials and the fact that Montreal is a real professional organization I was really excited about it. Nothing against Chicago but the way things have been run there the last few years, this is a breath of fresh air for me."

Hmm. Not sure how to take this one. In Manlow and Baines at least we have credible guys who are above what we had last year with Vandermeer/Paul/Aitken/Barnes. But secretly I was hoping for somebody a little flashier and more able to be a star. These guys are good glue, good middle-of-the-lineup guys (and that's better than bottom-of-the-lineup like we had last year), but still just shy of my ultimate hopes. I like Baines, he's a bit of sparkplug player, something like a Begin-for-the-AHL. But you know, we do have Lapierre, Ferland, Chipchura, Lemieux, Milroy types already in the middle of our lineup, so I'm not sure adding Manlow and Baines to that group was quite our area of greatest need. Flip side, I guess if Kostitsyn, Locke, and Grabovsky are all in Hamilton, they will really get leaned on heavily for the offense now, with no big name veteran to challenge them.

The CUBE 08-04-2006 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blind Gardien (Post 6209772)
Hmm. Not sure how to take this one. In Manlow and Baines at least we have credible guys who are above what we had last year with Vandermeer/Paul/Aitken/Barnes. But secretly I was hoping for somebody a little flashier and more able to be a star. These guys are good glue, good middle-of-the-lineup guys (and that's better than bottom-of-the-lineup like we had last year), but still just shy of my ultimate hopes. I like Baines, he's a bit of sparkplug player, something like a Begin-for-the-AHL. But you know, we do have Lapierre, Ferland, Chipchura, Lemieux, Milroy types already in the middle of our lineup, so I'm not sure adding Manlow and Baines to that group was quite our area of greatest need. Flip side, I guess if Kostitsyn, Locke, and Grabovsky are all in Hamilton, they will really get leaned on heavily for the offense now, with no big name veteran to challenge them.

But isn't that what is best for those players?

I mean I'mpretty Bob know;s it. It will give them a change to get quality icetime and leanr the responsabilites of being the TOP 6 forwards. Personally I think that this is the best thing for them and it will simply help their development even more.

HCH 08-04-2006 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The CUBE (Post 6210057)
But isn't that what is best for those players?

I mean I'mpretty Bob know;s it. It will give them a change to get quality icetime and leanr the responsabilites of being the TOP 6 forwards. Personally I think that this is the best thing for them and it will simply help their development even more.

With Manlow and Baines, Hamilton now have a lot more depth at forward. It will put a lot of pressure on guys like Urquhart and Lambert.

Joey 08-04-2006 12:22 PM

Grabovski, Locke, Manlow, Baines, Chipchura, Lapierre, Aubin, Urquhart = too many centres!

I expect Lapierre to take the LW, Urquhart probably not even make the team, but what about the other 6 guys. I don't want guys like Grabovski or Aubin to develop as wingers when they are natural centremen just because guys like Baines were signed.

Bryzga lol* 08-04-2006 12:26 PM

I see an above .500 team this year in hamilton...this team is looking very good.

VanNistelrooy 08-04-2006 12:40 PM

Grabovski can play LW too.

#57 08-04-2006 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey (Post 6210561)
Grabovski, Locke, Manlow, Baines, Chipchura, Lapierre, Aubin, Urquhart = too many centres!

I expect Lapierre to take the LW, Urquhart probably not even make the team, but what about the other 6 guys. I don't want guys like Grabovski or Aubin to develop as wingers when they are natural centremen just because guys like Baines were signed.

Grabovsky is a LW and there were words around here at time that Chipchura could be switched to LW because his game was more suited for that position, just like Higgins. And look what Higgins is becoming.

Team_Spirit 08-04-2006 02:30 PM

Grabovski = Wing
Locke = C
Manlow = Wing
Baines = C
Chipchura = C
Lapierre = Habs
Aubin=C
Urquhart = ECHL

deandebean 08-04-2006 02:36 PM

Did you notice the Omaha team name???? What is that? A Saudi Arabia Oil Company?

Team_Spirit 08-04-2006 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deandebean (Post 6211734)
Did you notice the Omaha team name???? What is that? A Saudi Arabia Oil Company?

Ak-Sar-Ben

Nebarska

Joey 08-04-2006 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Team_Spirit (Post 6211683)
Grabovski = Wing
Locke = C
Manlow = Wing
Baines = C
Chipchura = C
Lapierre = Habs
Aubin=C
Urquhart = ECHL

Grabovski = I thought I heard he struggled on the wing sometime last season?

Manlow = Hasn't he been a centre his entire decade-long career?

Lapierre = Habs? Gonna be tough to get any games in alongside Murray, Downey, Kostitsyn, Ferland...aside from injuries I see him in the AHL alot of the year

Urquhart = agreed ;)

gars59 08-04-2006 03:13 PM

Grabovsky-Locke-Kostitsyn
Lemieux-Chipchura-Manlow
Milroy-Baines-Lapierre
Lambert-Aubin-D'Agostini

Jancevski Archer
Sanford-???
Benoit Gleed

Danis
Halak

Ferland and Cote will be in mtl

We need defense :dunno: korpikari ? emelin ? o'byrne ?

HabSim 08-04-2006 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Team_Spirit (Post 6211853)
Ak-Sar-Ben

Nebarska

Oh boy... :rolleyes:

Bulldog fan 08-04-2006 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blind Gardien (Post 6209772)

Are far as I understand Baines is a Montreal/Hamilton signing and not Micheal Andlauer's second pick. So I would still expect to see a second player of Manlow's calibre signed before the season starts.

Blind Gardien 08-04-2006 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bulldog fan (Post 6212411)
Are far as I understand Baines is a Montreal/Hamilton signing and not Micheal Andlauer's second pick. So I would still expect to see a second player of Manlow's calibre signed before the season starts.

The only problem being that it almost has to be on D now, given our saturation up front... :dunno:

Joey 08-04-2006 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blind Gardien (Post 6212436)
The only problem being that it almost has to be on D now, given our saturation up front... :dunno:

I wouldn't mind a Delmore type signing for the D. Anyone know if he's still under contract?

Bulldog fan 08-04-2006 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blind Gardien (Post 6212436)

True, unless a trade was to happen opening up a spot at forward???? Either way I like the look of this years team much better than last seasons.

Blind Gardien 08-04-2006 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey (Post 6212511)
I wouldn't mind a Delmore type signing for the D. Anyone know if he's still under contract?

TB already signed him this summer. But there are others. Jamie Rivers and Rory Fitzpatrick might be a couple to think about, who could also sub up top if necessary. (Assuming that Andlauer would be satisfied if the Habs just signed enough guys and he didn't have to pay out for his 2nd hired gun).

Bulldog fan 08-04-2006 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deandebean (Post 6211734)

If I have the story right the team had to legally use ak-sar-ben. The story as I recall started when the owners wanted to call the team the Nebraska Knights, but they found out a lawyer had the rights to that name because of prevous sports team that he once owned. The lawyer wanted a large sum of money to release the name rights so the owners did some fancy footwork to get around it.
It seems there is a community/charity group that has been around since the late 1800's named the ak-sar-ben knights. This group had the rights to the 2 word name and for a small donation they would let the owner use the name ak-sar-ben knights.
Since this was the only way they could see to calling the team the knights they went that route but have to use the word ak-sar-ben too.
I wish I could remember where I read this but it has escaped me for the time being.