HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Kids Skates (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=278045)

Puckboy 08-05-2006 06:09 AM

Kids Skates
 
Does anyone have suggestions on kids skates. Something that is going to break in easy. What a\have been your good or bad experiences

Grave77digger 08-05-2006 12:11 PM

theyll probably out grow them before they can break in

Heat McManus 08-05-2006 01:51 PM

Bauer Vapor VI, VII, and VIII series are very good for kids. They provide enough support for younger kids and are relatively inexpensive.

We sold tons of them at our store and the parents and kids were both happy with them.

letsgojackets 08-16-2006 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vakar Lajos (Post 6218017)
Bauer Vapor VI, VII, and VIII series are very good for kids. They provide enough support for younger kids and are relatively inexpensive.

We sold tons of them at our store and the parents and kids were both happy with them.

Without trying to sound like a parent that is going to rush his kid into anything, what sizes/ages are skates made?

The local rinks here have a class that starts at age 3.

OilerNut* 08-16-2006 08:23 PM

How about those CCM BOA skates? Has anyone tried them?

http://www.canadiantire.ca/assortmen...romSearch=true
http://www.canadiantire.ca/assortmen...romSearch=true

Heat McManus 08-16-2006 08:48 PM

We sold the BOAs and they looked like they were contructed solidly. The dial system is used on very high-end figure skates, so it's not a gimmick that doesn't work.

I don't know any body that bought them for their kids though.

Also, skates start at size 8.

Puckboy 08-17-2006 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by letsgojackets (Post 6300368)
Without trying to sound like a parent that is going to rush his kid into anything, what sizes/ages are skates made?

The local rinks here have a class that starts at age 3.

In my opinion age does not matter. It does matter how the child listens and his maturity level. My oldest son started when he turned 4 and he did really well and was into it. I now have another 4 year old that I do not think he listens well enough yet to put out there. You just can not start them too young or they will not like it. Like I say this is my opinion. I am now coaching and I can tell what kids want to be out there and are ready to learn, what kids are out there for their parents only, and what kids are not ready to be out there.

Heat McManus 08-17-2006 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puckboy (Post 6305320)
In my opinion age does not matter. It does matter how the child listens and his maturity level. My oldest son started when he turned 4 and he did really well and was into it. I now have another 4 year old that I do not think he listens well enough yet to put out there. You just can not start them too young or they will not like it. Like I say this is my opinion. I am now coaching and I can tell what kids want to be out there and are ready to learn, what kids are out there for their parents only, and what kids are not ready to be out there.

Very good assessment. Also remember, what a kid doesn't like at 3 he may LOVE at 4. :D

falcor 08-17-2006 11:25 AM

i started my daughter as soon as she turned 3. she started off in figure skates. the next year she cried and said she wanted 'black and white' skates like us, so we bought her easton z-air comps. she's had that brand for 3 yrs now and loves them. i have heard they are a little hard to break in but, as was previously stated, they tend to grow out of them before they break them in.

i think all kids have attention span problems...doesn't mean they don't enjoy the sport though. now that she is playing hockey(age 5-6)you can tell that the early lessons helped give her an edge over the other kids.

i would avoid getting cheap skates because they may not provide the proper ankle support. if you have a skate shop, i would suggest you take your kid there and try on a few pairs. many brands have their own fit..like nike/bauer/mission are for narrow footed people and easton is for a wider foot (i think..trying to remember), so it isn't always about 'easy to break in'..its simply about 'does it fit or not'. or, if you are like me and do not have a skate shop, you can always shop online and hope the fit is right. good luck :)

PhilMerwin187 08-17-2006 01:37 PM

Used skates in good condition. Get the blades sharpened and you'll be set. They'll be broken in and will save you a couple bucks as well.

-Phil

Hank19* 08-17-2006 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilMerwin187 (Post 6307333)
Used skates in good condition. Get the blades sharpened and you'll be set. They'll be broken in and will save you a couple bucks as well.

-Phil

I've heard this can be bad for kids though. Out of all the equipment you can skimp on skates are supposed to be the last.
Even my inlaws, which are extremly thrifty, are saying that you should buy new skates for your kids.
If they get used ones that are broken in, and don't fit them properly, they'll develop bad skating habits that could follow them the rest of their lives.

WebMistress 08-17-2006 02:39 PM

Started my daughter in learn to skate classes with figure skates. she soon, however, switched to hockey, and we went with a brand new pair of bauers, as recommended above.

Several years later, we are on, I think, her fifth pair of skates. After going with brand new the first time, we went to "Play It Again Sports" to trade them in for the next four pair. they have a wide selection of used skates in almost new condition. A pair of new laces and a skate sharpening and she's good to go.

She's in her second year of house league hockey now. The newest pair of skates are CCM. She doesn't like the Eastons, she says they are uncomfortable.

pensrule 08-17-2006 03:05 PM

When my son was 4 I bought him a new pair of CCM 762's, these were a significant upgrade from the cheap Nikes he had when he was three. He loved these skates and they offerred great suppot in the ankle. They cost $79.99 at most stores, see www.peranis.net. When it was time for a new pair, he actually chose the Bauer Vapor XX (influence of other kids I think), these are probably too expensive for the first pair. Anyways he's now 5 and entering his second year of Mite hockey (8 & Under) and the Bauer's are working out well.

falcor 08-17-2006 07:39 PM

just wanna stress the importance of trying skates on if you can before you buy. i still can't find the link, but it tells you which skates are made for wide/normal/narrow feet and even goes into high insteps or not. could be the difference between what is comfortable and easy to break in for my kid and yours. :)

~~i wouldn't buy used skates, just like i wouldn't buy used underwear. that is just my preference, but there is also the issue of having the skate broken in by a foot that is nothing like your kid's. could be very bad in the short run and long run.

Hockeymom67 09-01-2006 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vakar Lajos (Post 6302339)
We sold the BOAs and they looked like they were contructed solidly. The dial system is used on very high-end figure skates, so it's not a gimmick that doesn't work.

I don't know any body that bought them for their kids though.

Also, skates start at size 8.

I do and they were pleased with them at least for the very young ones which would be 5-6-7 years of age


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:42 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.