HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Edmonton Oilers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   OT: Donairs: The official food of the HF Oilers board (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=278370)

Hairball 08-06-2006 09:39 PM

OT: Donairs: The official food of the HF Oilers board

I figured it was about time we had an official donair thread. The place where we can discuss the wonders, intricacies, ingredients, places, and luck altering abilities of donairs. I had thought that BBB might start a thread like this, but alas, our donair guru has not.

So here it is. To get things started off, the last donair I had was at Mike's on 51st Ave just east of Gateway Blvd. Good donair, not great. The interesting thing was they had two types of sauce there. A dill sauce and a sweet sauce. Nothing fried though so I couldn't get fries to go with it. Over all, I would probably go back once more. Not really anything special.

Anyone else?

PunjabiOil* 08-06-2006 09:51 PM

Holy crap, some of you are obsessed with donairs:biglaugh:

MinnesotaFats 08-06-2006 10:05 PM

Best in town:

Charles Smart on 82ave and 92st (their sweet sause is the best)

or

Simon King 51ave and 91st

For those of you out who have lived in Edmonton and out east somewhere, which is better: donair or shawarma? Close call but donair takes it IMO

okgooil 08-06-2006 10:09 PM

The best donair is queens on whyte and about 105 ish I think. It acutally use to be alot better, the guy who had the place about 5 years ago made the best donair ever, we use to just be in amazement about how good it was. now it is still really good, but not as good.

s7ark 08-06-2006 10:17 PM

Charles Smart is great, but I actually prefer High Voltage on Calgary trail south and Argyll. They have a few sauces to choose from and they grill the pita with spices as well.

Mmmmmmm.

Allan 08-06-2006 10:27 PM

My favorite is Columbus. They go a bit crazy with the sauce sometimes, but the meat is top notch.

I have no idea where they are. I always get delivery.

SkiAmigo 08-06-2006 10:37 PM

Had a Charles Smart Super D last wednesday and I was thouroughly pleased as usual!:D

o98 08-06-2006 10:40 PM

Is there a good donair place in or around Manulife?

OilerNut* 08-06-2006 10:44 PM

May I ask a stupid question and ask what a donair is?

The Kingslayer 08-06-2006 10:48 PM

Donair Express on the way to Rexall...amazing donair.

Unsustainable 08-06-2006 10:57 PM

The best donair I've ever had is easily from "Super Donair" in Sherwood Park, just east of the Broadmore golfcourse. Robbie/the Owner is an amazing guy. If you're ever in Sherwood Park OR in the mood for the best donair of all time check it out.

hfboardsuser 08-06-2006 11:26 PM

The best donair I've had yet in the city was at the place below Thirsty Turtle on Whyte.

Marvin 08-06-2006 11:49 PM

the Subjoint in Fort Saskatchewan...great tasty donair meat......

Spawn 08-06-2006 11:52 PM

Donairs from Road runners pizza are pretty good... just don't have the sauce that comes in the container! :eek: ...

Replacement 08-06-2006 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MinnesotaFats (Post 6225561)
Best in town:

Charles Smart on 82ave and 92st (their sweet sause is the best)

or

Simon King 51ave and 91st

For those of you out who have lived in Edmonton and out east somewhere, which is better: donair or shawarma? Close call but donair takes it IMO

Chicken Shawarma is great stuff too. I marinate it for over a day and throw it on a grill plate in the Bar-B plus some extra peppers, mushrooms, lots of onions and garlic already chopped in the marinade. Heaven.

Agree with Charles Smart, that place has been a legend forever.

ps not to engage in any heresy here but a lot of local donair places use the same donair meat supplier no? Other than how much they pile on and the accompaniments what difference is there? <runs, hides, ducks>

Replacement 08-07-2006 01:03 AM

More heresy but the best fast food on the planet alas is hard to get to:(

http://www.mauitacos.com/menus.html

Simply a can't miss. Burritos that you cut in half and each half is a meal, plus all the toppings, salsa's, extra veggies, you can load up.:yo: :bow: :teach:

Bryanbryoil 08-07-2006 01:16 AM

Maui Tacos BABY!!! (Their radio advertisement) It's about 5 minutes from my house, so not to hard to get to!!! I guess I should really try their Burrito's since their Taco Salad wasn't all that great. What type of a Burrito do you usually get??? PS-I could send you one in the mail, although it may not be quite as "fresh" after a week's worth of handling by the USPS and the Canada Post.

PDO 08-07-2006 01:29 AM

I've had one donair in my life.

Just off the whitemud (heading East, take the exit at 34th and head south... it's the second right).

Was amazing.

I was full for hours.

I can't remember the name, but I know the place :D

Obsessed 08-07-2006 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spawn (Post 6226092)
Donairs from Road runners pizza are pretty good... just don't have the sauce that comes in the container! :eek:...

My food of choice while I was going to college was Bacon and Donair meat Pizzas from Road Runners!!! I still have a partial blockage...

Bryanbryoil 08-07-2006 01:34 AM

I've never had a Donair, so maybe I can work out a Donair for Maui Taco's Burrito trade with Replacement??? Kind of like Iraq's former Oil for Food program!!! Customs will play the role of Saddam Hussein and snag at least 1/2 of the food involved!!! :sarcasm:

Replacement 08-07-2006 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PDO (Post 6226403)
I've had one donair in my life.

Just off the whitemud (heading East, take the exit at 34th and head south... it's the second right).

Was amazing.

I was full for hours.

I can't remember the name, but I know the place :D

Theres a Mac's store, Video store, and PetroCanada, in the same stripmall right? (yeah I know that could still be generic description.)

Damn, I drive by there twice a day at least and I've NEVER stopped in there.

until now, heh. how late they open?,...thanks much!

Sammy* 08-07-2006 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by o98 (Post 6225740)
Is there a good donair place in or around Manulife?

Pretty good Donairs at the souvlaki place in Edmonton Centre.
Great donair is Queen Donair on Stony Plain road & 149street.

ClosetOilersFan 08-07-2006 06:48 AM

Any advice for finding decent Donair's in Toronto?

They're not very popular here.

Spawn 08-07-2006 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obsessed (Post 6226411)
My food of choice while I was going to college was Bacon and Donair meat Pizzas from Road Runners!!! I still have a partial blockage...

HAHA yah me and my friends get that same pizza except with Italian sausage as well as the other 2... its greasy as hell, tastes great, but I'm so damn sick of it. Too much grease.

MinnesotaFats 08-07-2006 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Replacement (Post 6226107)
Chicken Shawarma is great stuff too. I marinate it for over a day and throw it on a grill plate in the Bar-B plus some extra peppers, mushrooms, lots of onions and garlic already chopped in the marinade. Heaven.

:bow:

I am going to try that. Buy one today and throw it on the grill tomorrow. How does the garlic sauce hold up under the heat though? I can see that turning in to a real mess. If anyone is even in Ottawa, Shawarma King on Bank and Gilmore makes a shawarma you'll never forget. Make sure the guy with the limp is working - his generousity with the meat knows no bounds.